Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thegeezer wrote: »
    Bst BB in Jacob's Island ? Have possibility of Sky free for 2 years, but currently with the excellent Nova. Any good/bad experiences of Sky BB (they claim unlimited downloads but don't think this is the case), and what speed can you expect wired and wireless ?

Cheers

Contact Sky and ask them to do a line test. They will then tell you what your line can take. If that is satisfactory to you, then they will give you absolutely unlimited downloads. They will also give you the very best speed that your line can comfortably take. Lastly, Sky's customer service staff are far & away the best out there among all the telco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Alas all that glitters - so the free 2 years BB with SkySports is (yep you guessed it) only for UK Sky Customers. Why does Ireland always get the crap end of the sky stick ???

Sky told me 24MB 30 euro per month first 6 months then 40 euro after. I currently get a higher speed from Nova at the same price so going to stay put. Also I have 30 day release claue not the 300 years Sky want to tie you in to !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Burkie12

Hi, moved to Hazel Hall, Monaleen. UPC don't provide BB here so we need to move provider. Vodafone Simply Broadband are the cheapest (speed is 18mbps). Does anyone have any experience of their BB or would we be better going with Eircom - about 100e dearer for the 18 month contract.

We use BB for my work (work from home) and also streaming etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Folks

Any suggestions for the best option for Mobile Broadband - no contract in south Dublin would be very welcome. A good friend is going to be in hospital for a few months, and the hospital wifi sucks. I'd love to bring him in a broadband dongle so he can watch Netflix and the RTE/TV3 players and let him take it from there.

Bonkers.ie is giving me a few options;

O2 - Mobile Broadband - Prepay - €19.99 - 5GB per month limit

Three - Broadband Month 20GB - €35 - 20GB limit

Meteor - Broadband To Go - Pay As You Go - 30 Day Pass - €19.99 - 8GB limit

Any feedback on these options would be very welcome. Do all of them allow a trial period to see if he gets good coverage in his location? Are all of them fairly easy for him to take over payment after the first month?

PS If this isn't the right place for mobile broadband queries, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

RainyDay wrote: »
    Folks

Any suggestions for the best option for Mobile Broadband - no contract in south Dublin would be very welcome. A good friend is going to be in hospital for a few months, and the hospital wifi sucks. I'd love to bring him in a broadband dongle so he can watch Netflix and the RTE/TV3 players and let him take it from there.

Bonkers.ie is giving me a few options;

O2 - Mobile Broadband - Prepay - €19.99 - 5GB per month limit

Three - Broadband Month 20GB - €35 - 20GB limit

Meteor - Broadband To Go - Pay As You Go - 30 Day Pass - €19.99 - 8GB limit

Any feedback on these options would be very welcome. Do all of them allow a trial period to see if he gets good coverage in his location? Are all of them fairly easy for him to take over payment after the first month?

PS If this isn't the right place for mobile broadband queries, please let me know.

Hi RainyDay

Firstly there is usually a trial period of 7 -10 days with the mobile operators, so there will be the chance to try them out. Also try out Vodafone and Tesco along with the others. Also check http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/#/main to see which operators have cell towers In the area.

Note as RTE Player and Netflix are streaming sites they will easily use up the data allowance. So 5Gb a month would really not be worth it. Also there is the option of 4G (with a higher data allowance) but that will depend on if the hospital you friend is going to is covered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks - that map is very helpful. Meteor is the nearest mast, so the €20 8GB option might be the best.

Other comments or suggestions very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Hi just wondering if any one has had experience with either Rocket or Carnsore Broadband? I know Rocket (Skytel) have gained a poor reputation - are they still bad?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Redcody

Does anybody have experience of satellite broadband? We have no access to Terrestrial broadband and there is no likelihood of fibre optic ever being available in our area (rural Kerry). We have tried both Vodafone & 3 "mobile" and the speed is so slow it's quicker to drive to town & spend the day in the local internet cafe to get any answers!

I think our only solution will be satellite but cannot find any impartial reviews of the various companies - Digiweb, Qsat, KBO, Irish Satellite. I am thinking of not only broadband but also the phone and possibly TV (currently have Sky, but am openminded if the offer is good enough).

If anybody has satellite broadband and can offer an opinion, this would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Redcody wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience of satellite broadband? We have no access to Terrestrial broadband and there is no likelihood of fibre optic ever being available in our area (rural Kerry). We have tried both Vodafone & 3 "mobile" and the speed is so slow it's quicker to drive to town & spend the day in the local internet cafe to get any answers!

I think our only solution will be satellite but cannot find any impartial reviews of the various companies - Digiweb, Qsat, KBO, Irish Satellite. I am thinking of not only broadband but also the phone and possibly TV (currently have Sky, but am openminded if the offer is good enough).

If anybody has satellite broadband and can offer an opinion, this would be much appreciated.

What about this ?

http://www.ivertecbroadband.ie/

Hi Amdaley28,

I haven't come across this company before, do you have any experience or knowledge of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any chance you'd post your nearest town/village? Rural Kerry is very vague as the rural part of Kerry is not only big but also encompasses geographic characteristics (for example Scartaglen is rural but you can get a lot more there than you can on the outskirts of Ballyferriter for example)

We are 3 miles out of Listowel towards Finuge

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have you a view to the North and South?

Kerry Broadband and Permanet have cells on the Slieve Mish mountains near Tralee, Permanet have cells on Knockanore mountain and Ripplecom have cells in SW Co. Clare that you may be able to receive, so contacting all 3 companies would be an option. I'd check the websites of all 3 to check coverage at your house and packages

If you can't get DSL these are your best reception

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hi Amdaley28,

I haven't come across this company before, do you have any experience or knowledge of them?

All I know is that they're local here in South West Kerry. I know of someone who has broadband with them & they say it works fine.I have never used them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Going to change ours here too. (S Leitrim) Sky Broadband Unlimited & Talk Freetime seems to be the best one as parents want to keep the home phone as well. Anyone any opinions?

I'll have to spread use it between two houses 50m apart as well, I assume that would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 patdoll

Hi all,
    I need to find out about broadband in the Riverchapel area of Co Wexford. I moved into the housing estate the first week in November and by the time Vodafone had sent out the modem and got the phone line activated I had to leave the country for work and I have only arrived back in the last 10 days.
    It is only since I arrived back home that I realized that the download speed I am getting is no where near the 2MBS that the guy in the Vodafone shop told me I would be getting as a minimum (he actually gave it to me in writing which surprised me) and they have agreed to release me from my contract and refund me some of the money that I have paid them over the last 10 months.
    Now I have a Vodafone contract that I can walk away from at any time and a discounted monthly fee but between 0.88 and 1.5 MBS download speed.
    Can anyone suggest another broadband supplier (phone not that important, I would prefer broadband only) that can give me a decent download speed? Eircom are offering 'up to' 3MBS download until their fibre upgrade come in to play but the sales agent cant say when it will happen. Does anybody when the Eircom fibre upgrade comes into effect in Riverchapel, Co Wexford? And what is their service/customer care like?
    Would it be worth my while doling out a small fortune for satellite broadband or is 'phone line' the better option as I wont be staying at this address for much more than another year.
    Oh yeah, the broadband will only be used for surfing the net and streaming TV.

Yours
    patdoll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Anyone have any opinions on sky broadband? They seem like the cheapest unlimited option in my area (cobh) my choices are eircom Vodafone or sky pretty much.

Also are sky still just Vodafone?

I think Vodafone are actually cheaper than sky but 18 months is far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fazza

I live in the back end of nowhere in Connemara and I'm currently on 3's NBS plan, I have the current contract until well into next year since I signed up fairly recently and 95% of the time I get good speeds but two things are driving me crazy at the moment. Very frequent seemingly random drops for a few seconds is the first, for general browsing this isn't a huge issue but in skype calls or when playing games online it is very noticeable and has become much worse in recent months. Frankly there's no point dealing with 3 customer service because every time they try and troubleshoot it as if it's a problem only I have even though I tell them 3 other people within a mile of me have the same issues. Secondly the 40gig cap has just gotten to be too much stress for me to stay under, I tend to use about 1GB a day but I can often go well over that and the last week of the billing cycle is becoming too annoying to deal with as I have to really watch what I do.

Basically I think my only other real option is Lightnet, but I don't know if that would be a wise move or not. I was with them before years ago and was very happy with it at the time but that then I was stepping from dial up so expectations could be a lot higher on my end now(god I miss UPC when I lived in the city). The lowest package is €35 a month for 2Mb which is a good bit lower than what I tend to get currently and for €15 more but there's no download limit(there is a fair usage policy) and if the connection was stable I don't think this would be a major issue for me. Can anyone who has it tell me do you get the speed you're paying for? Is the connection stable? Can you have skype calls without major issues? Obviously ping and the like come into it as well so information on that would be very welcome too.

As for the contract I'm on that's a factor but I have a solution for that so I'm not too concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Hi, Any suggestions for the best option for broadband in Kilmainham bank area?

I just found skyconway there, but maybe there are other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fazza

Just regarding my last post about lightnet seen this thread (can't post links but it's thread 2056811115)

Some concern over ping speeds and I actually found out my cousin had it and got her to do one and came back with 206ms ping and jitter of 106.
    So looks pretty grim frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Going to change ours here too. (S Leitrim) Sky Broadband Unlimited & Talk Freetime seems to be the best one as parents want to keep the home phone as well. Anyone any opinions?

I'll have to spread use it between two houses 50m apart as well, I assume that would be ok.

Kovu, where are you exactly located-or your nearest village? I'm near dromahair, I currently have satelite broadband, and whilst it was working fine the first 6 month or so, there are constant issues, between the modem dying, the speed dying and anything else in between.if I could get away from bloody satelite I'd be delighted. I only need about 2/3 mb p/s but consistent.
    Fastcom is no option and I have no phoneline as the eircom line here does not support my required speed...

doubter wrote: »
    Kovu, where are you exactly located-or your nearest village? I'm near dromahair, I currently have satelite broadband, and whilst it was working fine the first 6 month or so, there are constant issues, between the modem dying, the speed dying and anything else in between.if I could get away from bloody satelite I'd be delighted. I only need about 2/3 mb p/s but consistent.
    Fastcom is no option and I have no phoneline as the eircom line here does not support my required speed...

Between Cloone & Drumlish.
    Have looked into Arden broadband and they sent someone out last week. But there was bllody fog down and he couldn't get a right look to see if Edenmore was visible. Hopefully back again on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Between Cloone & Drumlish.
    Have looked into Arden broadband and they sent someone out last week. But there was bllody fog down and he couldn't get a right look to see if Edenmore was visible. Hopefully back again on Friday!

nice one. Just checked them but they don't cover my area lol..neither does fastcom.UPC is currently advising of a bundle that doesn't require a phone line..it says no fixed line needed..have mailed them but it's probably impossible.I better buy my new place before february as i just kicked digiwebt o the curb..can't be arsed with that crowd anymore

doubter wrote: »
    nice one. Just checked them but they don't cover my area lol..neither does fastcom.UPC is currently advising of a bundle that doesn't require a phone line..it says no fixed line needed..have mailed them but it's probably impossible.I better buy my new place before february as i just kicked digiwebt o the curb..can't be arsed with that crowd anymore

We're rather lucky because we're on the top of a large hill and Cairn hill is in direct view of us. At the moment o2 huawei or whatever it's called does me but keep going over the limit!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

I'm looking for a new internet service provider for a small business. We're currently with O2 (using an older Eircom modem) and the service is not what I'd consider to be adequate. We use the line for wireless internet, landline and a credit card machine so I think we'd need something basic. I just talked to a representative from Vodafone about changing but is there any other providers I should be considering?

The business is in Dublin 14 if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

As the business is in Dublin 14 then there is UPC Business (http://business.upc.ie/). It might be worth giving them a call. If however that option is unavailable check to see if fibre is available. If so it will really depend on cost, as most if not all provide the same speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Hi all

What is the best (and best value) broadband available in south county dublin, specifically Sandyford up around Ticknock Hill?
    I've been looking at prices for UPC and eircom and I'm looking for a good fibre connection for an apartment.
    I'm also looking at TV packages and was going to get a bundke and although UPC's internet is usually excellent I hate their TV userface. Equally I prefer sky but their internet is apparently poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you dont like UPCs TV then you'll hate eircoms. Get Sky + Vodafone eFibre if available, if not go for all UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Hi there , hope this post is in the right place , basically I've been with Three mobile broadband for several years now , the speeds were not hectic but were better than my previous Eircom landline connection ( we're talking go make a cup of tea and it might be connected by the time you're back ) .
    My landline is 6km ( 3.5 miles form the local exchange ) so got rid of it as the internet was ridiculous and every time we had heavy rainfall the phoneline died for about 4 to 6 weeks !
    I got Three mobile wifi broadband and that has been so/so but over the last year it has slowed down a lot and in the last couple of weeks ( especially since they took over O2) the service has been terrible , really slow , loss of signal and internet disconnection & don't get me started on the customer service .
    So today I called and found out I'm out of contract sine May 13th 2014 and so I asked to be put through to the cancellation dept to cancel my broadband account , it will be deactivated in 30 days on Nov 1st .
    So I'm in west Offaly 3.5 miles from Banagher , fibre isn't an option as the line is so bad ( recently talked to a neighbour who had a new line put in specifically to get broadband and it's still crap ) sojust wondering what my options are ?
    The Three BB signal was coming from a Vodaphone mast in Kilbarron if that's any help . Just want to have decent speeds that are fairly regular throughout the day , for like streaming tv programmes ect , not needing gaming quality speeds .
    Any suggestions to what provider to go for next ? TIA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Use this to find out what covers you. Your options will be any other mobile operators with coverage (Vodafone, Meteor/eMobile) or fixed wireless if you have line of sight to any providers.

Advertisement