Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/big-brand-retailers-on-mission-to-scope-out-wexford-town-31159312.html
    THE managing directors of 15 leading international and domestic brands are to visit Wexford on Friday to see if they like the town enough to open up shop here.

What do we all think of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

"He said Friday's meeting at White's Hotel was not open to all and was aimed at seeking the retail investments that best suit Wexford and which will avoid replicating businesses that are already operating in the town"

Wonder what type of businesses they're referring to. Not sure how some of the businesses In town survive with the competition (salons, boutiques etc). Can only be a good thing though, bring jobs and spending, and occupy some of the empty spaces in town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Zhane wrote: »

I think that it's great to hear. The town is saturated in boutiques which is quickly open and shut again. Discount stores are another one.

Love to hear some really positive and different results from this.

I agree. I think I've noticed a trend in the way Wexford (maybe others too) works in regards to shop openings. The same type seems to open all at the same time. We had a plethora of Pharmacies opening up a few years ago, then came the discount stores and this season it seems to be Hairdressers.

I like the fact that Wexford has more than its fair share of boutiques. It shows some people have great entrepreneurial mindset. More diversity helps though. Menswear is seriously lacking, where as most of the women boutiques have more or less the same items in the window. Having previously operated a business in town, its so tough so I have to commend people who do it, so I won't begrudge any shop opening.

I like the fact that Wexford has more than its fair share of boutiques. It shows some people have great entrepreneurial mindset. More diversity helps though. Menswear is seriously lacking, where as most of the women boutiques have more or less the same items in the window. Having previously operated a business in town, its so tough so I have to commend people who do it, so I won't begrudge any shop opening.

Agree and disagree, Zhane. How people still insist on opening boutiques when they are so many examples every year of them closing. Fair play for trying and I suppose each person thinks they have their own take on it, but it always reminds me of those restaurant statistics of how many close in their first year of business.

I'm baffled. I'd be looking for some niche market or something the town is missing. Not another shop bound to have a sign in the window with "closing down sale" not long after it opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Corvo wrote: »

I'm baffled. I'd be looking for some niche market or something the town is missing. Not another shop bound to have a sign in the window with "closing down sale" not long after it opens.

a music store such as HMV is something wexford is missing, I know there is Xtra Vison but thats HMV lite.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    a music store such as HMV is something wexford is missing, I know there is Xtra Vison but thats HMV lite.

Problem is, no one really buys CD's etc. anymore. Its all online. Sure, you and I might be interested, but its not enough for a sustainable business.

I do think there is room for a deli with quality produce, where you could pick up Italian meats, good cheeses, wines and bread. Things like that. Perhaps a section of the store dedicated to Asian spices and goods, as well as Indian. (If you want decent Asian fare, Dublin is really the only place with a good selection of stores)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

2 closed down in as many years
    Problem is, no one really buys CD's etc. anymore. Its all online. Sure, you and I might be interested, but its not enough for a sustainable business.

I do think there is room for a deli with quality produce, where you could pick up Italian meats, good cheeses, wines and bread. Things like that. Perhaps a section of the store dedicated to Asian spices and goods, as well as Indian. (If you want decent Asian fare, Dublin is really the only place with a good selection of stores)

Greenacres? Maybe a Greenacres light I.e. Lighter prices

Look at how well Xtra Vison is doing selling music because its selling what people want to buy, yeah people buy CDs online because their is no store to buy them from thats why Whites went downhill it wasn't stocking what people were wanting to buy and HMV opened a new store in Kilkenny and its doing well. Even the second hand shop South East records is doing well

Cinema is another business that wexford town lacks but no where really suitable for one.

It also closed down

• Advertisement

Look at how well Xtra Vison is doing selling music because its selling what people want to buy, yeah people buy CDs online because their is no store to buy them from thats why Whites went downhill it wasn't stocking what people were wanting to buy and HMV opened a new store in Kilkenny and its doing well. Even the second hand shop South East records is doing well

Cinema is another business that wexford town lacks but no where really suitable for one.

Xtravision is doing good but i honestly don't see the CD market in Wexford expanding anymore than it has. I think the best we'll ever see is a few more smaller independent. But don't forget BPM also closed down in the last few years, Zhivago, and Square disks all closed before that. A chain music store isn't going to invest in Wexford if the market isn't there, and it clearly isn't.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Greenacres? Maybe a Greenacres light I.e. Lighter prices
    Certainly, but as you mentioned, the prices there tend to be on the higher scale. Fair enough if the stuff is good - it's just personally I wouldn't shop there. No offense to anyone that does, of course.

Are Xtra Vision doing well with CD's? I really didn't think they were and anyone these days that's anyway savvy with regards online shopping can save money by doing so. With the prevalence of smart phones, Spotify and Itunes etc. music can be downloaded and played through a car stereo quicker than ever. In fact, I think the only music store I have seen do well recently is that vinyl store! For instance, I have access to pretty much any song I want via Spotify for €12.99 per month and Vodafone offer that service for free should your mobile be with them. Obviously it is nice to have a physical copy, depending on your tastes.
    Xtravision is doing good but i honestly don't see the CD market in Wexford expanding anymore than it has. I think the best we'll ever see is a few more smaller independent. But don't forget BPM also closed down in the last few years, Zhivago, and Square disks all closed before that. A chain music store isn't going to invest in Wexford if the market isn't there, and it clearly isn't.

Yep, as I said above, the vinyl store seems to be doing well and I doubt the over heads for such a business are massive, bar extortionate rent rates no doubt. I hugely admire small, independent stores like that where the normal everyday bloke turns up everyday and works for something he is passionate about. La Dolce Vita reminded me of that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

T.K Maxx is expected to open on the 11th of June: http://wexfordhub.com/tk-maxx-wexford-date/

Apparentely sign going up on a new "Dental Clinic" in the old John Keane building beside The Wrens Nest today, so I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Yep, they were putting it up as I passed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Bean & Berry have opened an ice cream shop for the summer in the unit on the quayfront of the cafe.

Yeh it looks good.

TK Maxx opening this Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

TK Maxx opening this Thursday

Dare to bare! The first 20 to show up in their swimwear at the opening of our brand new TK Maxx Wexford store on June 11th will win a €50 TK Maxx gift card!

Store opens at 10am.

I'll be there in my itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini!

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Bean & Berry have opened an ice cream shop for the summer in the unit on the quayfront of the cafe.

Captain Cone or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Planning permission notice at the site of where the Oak Tavern used to be,are they rebuilding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

zerks wrote: »
    Planning permission notice at the site of where the Oak Tavern used to be,are they rebuilding it?

In Ferrycarrig? Wasn't planning permission turned down about 5 years ago due to traffic concerns? I would love to see a pub back in that spot - it is a great location, especially on a sunny day. I wonder would it be possible to open the old road behind it and have traffic come and go out opposite the Hertiage Park?

They are looking to rebuild it alright. 20150540 planning ref - you can see it on wexford.ie

Outdoor Camping store opening across from Dealz.

Ice Cream shop opened on main street across from AIB bank.

Another Ice Cream shop? Wow, and Ice Cream never been as cheap as in Aldi and Lidl

Another Ice Cream shop? Wow, and Ice Cream never been as cheap as in Aldi and Lidl

Location isn't it, people on street in warm weather see lovely display and pop in impulse buy.

Location isn't it, people on street in warm weather see lovely display and pop in impulse buy.

Didnt realise weather being that good there, and there being that many in Wexford from mon-fri looking for ice cream, would have thought that market very small.

Didnt realise weather being that good there, and there being that many in Wexford from mon-fri looking for ice cream, would have thought that market very small.

If its the same place I'm thinking of, its the Scup place beside Joannes. Been opening every Summer for the last 2/3 years. Great Location for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

If its the same place I'm thinking of, its the Scup place beside Joannes. Been opening every Summer for the last 2/3 years. Great Location for it.

It's not the old hatch they used to have, they've taken over what was formally a baby clothing shop, it's a proper walk in shop now. Pretty god selection of hand made stuff too. Queue was out the door when I went last weekend

• Advertisement

It's not the old hatch they used to have, they've taken over what was formally a baby clothing shop, it's a proper walk in shop now. Pretty god selection of hand made stuff too. Queue was out the door when I went last weekend

Same guys though right? Ive not been in yet. I'm off tomorrow so I might take a gander! :P:D

Advertisement