Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mess

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

whyyyyyy why must it be a histolgy exam i have to sit in the autumn, why not something fun and interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 teamsamson

lm too lazy to get out of bed!!!! anyone fancy doin a management assignment for me on human resources?? anyone???:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

only if you learn off reference ranges for haematology for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I have man-flu. Well, man-pharyngitis.

14 hour flight to Singapore ahead of me tomorrow. It's not going to be pretty.

Actually, that means from tomorrow afternoon I won't have much access to the net until friday or saturday.

So, take it easy on posting the pron links, guys :P

I'm sure DrIndy will rule with an iron fist while I'm away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The fist is here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

For all the medics, check out these two youtube vids done by US medical students. Very funny,well worth a watch.

Brokeback Osce :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6A4RctM08M

Diagnosis Wenckeback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVxJJ2DBPiQ
    Ok this one is super nerdy but absolute genius and great cardiac revision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I have never been so busy in my life........ Out of curiousity anybody got a cheap copy of the big kumar and clarke they are willing to sell? I have a few pennys saved and want to spoil myself :-) Feel free to suggest another too

I sent mine off to Afghanistan, but K+C was the best med textbook in my opinion.

So, I started my masters in Public Health today. A full day of international health policy. It was great :D

I'm supposed to be meeting a lot of the regional public health bigwigs tomorrow, and I've gone and gotten a black eye at krav maga training lol.

It's HUGE!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

good luck with the new career path, tallaght.

sam34 wrote: »
    good luck with the new career path, tallaght.

Cheers homie.

First day in public health is this tuesday.

I'm supposed to wear a suit, but i think it would be more appropriate to turn up in a cardigan.

The masters in public health is fantastic so far. Biostatistics is a bit tricky, but I'm getting there.

Hoping to get involved in a project on HIV in papau new guinea,too, which would be cool.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to wear a suit, but i think it would be more appropriate to turn up in a cardigan.

go with the suit, man.

if u wear a cardi you'll look like a shrink!:P

edit: if you could tell me how to quote properly i'd be eternally grateful. i seem to be totally hit and miss with whether it appears as above or properly highlighted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Most of the public health doctors who lecture us wear suits. A cardi might not be the best I reckon. Im with Sam, the whole "Dr Frasier Crane" look is not hot in public health circles I hear.

I was just in the library doing some uni work, and I read an article from a guy who calls himself a "consultant anthropologist".

I wonder what the on-call is like in that specialty?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Cheers homie.

The masters in public health is fantastic so far. Biostatistics is a bit tricky, but I'm getting there.

Hoping to get involved in a project on HIV in papau new guinea,too, which would be cool.

finishing MPH myself found biostats messy, partly because they forced me to use a windows package and I hate windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Cheers homie.

If I saw you in a suit i'd start laughing! :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

DrIndy wrote: »
    If I saw you in a suit i'd start laughing! :D
    If I saw either of you in a suit I'd start laughing! :p

We're talking about tracksuits here, right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

It is. Yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Is there any way to move the locked posts

At this stage it looks like the whole front page could be full of locked posts shortly

there's only 2 of them. I would just delete them. But, I'm hoping people will see that we lock threads asking for medical advice.

It doesn't work, even a bit :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Help! 2000 word essay due on Monday on gene therapy, viral vectors and SMA and I don't understand any of it :( Gotta admit that's why I'm here :p Hope you're all well :)

I can write that for u in 12 words.

Virus enters cell. Sticks it's DNA into cell. Cell does different stuff.

Shazam!

But but! What about immune responses...and the types of immune responses...and the types of virus...and the types of gene...arghhhh!

But I'll take what you said on board...thank you :)

But but! What about immune responses...and the types of immune responses...and the types of virus...and the types of gene...arghhhh!

Worever :P

Don't be bringin' your fancy_jack science into this here establishment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cheers homie.

I'm sure the white tracksuit would go down a treat!

I'm kanackered.. that is all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

This question is for the Docs on this here boards. :pac:
    How much do you really remember from med school?
    For example, when I pass my exams (fingers crossed), get my degree, and start working in a hospital is it important for me to realise that propionyl CoA is a product of beta oxidation of odd numbered fatty acids, or that NADH generates three ATP molecules during oxidative phosphorylation. Silly stuff like that.........
    Im just studying a bit of biochem atm, and the thought occured to me.

aaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    am supposed to be writing a paper which i told my boss i had already written, and i havent a word done.
    havent even opened a microsoft word document and typed the title.
    its sooo easy to waste time on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

This question is for the Docs on this here boards. :pac:
    How much do you really remember from med school?
    For example, when I pass my exams (fingers crossed), get my degree, and start working in a hospital is it important for me to realise that propionyl CoA is a product of beta oxidation of odd numbered fatty acids, or that NADH generates three ATP molecules during oxidative phosphorylation. Silly stuff like that.........
    Im just studying a bit of biochem atm, and the thought occured to me.

I think you are missing the point of learning the biochemistry, if you know the basics well, other important stuff like pharmacokinetics/dynamics becomes much easier to understand, like sotolol having two isomers with different yet similar actions. or in your case (ATP) how cyanide kills you.
    Or why NAC is an antidote to paracetamol poisoning.

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point of learning the biochemistry, if you know the basics well, other important stuff like pharmacokinetics/dynamics becomes much easier to understand, like sotolol having two isomers with different yet similar actions. or in your case (ATP) how cyanide kills you.
    Or why NAC is an antidote to paracetamol poisoning.

i hate to be a nerd, but traumadoc is right on this one.

i didnt give myself a good base knowledge of biochem/physiology etc and thus found pharmacology and some general med stuff much harder.

with the benefit of hindsight, id say get a good firm grasp of the basic sciences and you'll make the later years much easier on yourself

Advertisement