Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof Coffee

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi guys,

just wondering if its possible to get wet beans in Dublin? Been reading up about bulletproof coffee and getting coffee beans free of mold and mycotoxins. Beans from high altitude such as central america and single origin, not blends.

Im not sold on the soundness of the concept but its intriguing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Bulletproof have brazenly re-packaged the processes by which all coffee is produced ... in 100% bullsh*t (tm) ... clearly preferring one main processing method over another.

In general there is washed and natural coffee. With washed, the fruit is removed from the bean and the bean is washed, then dried. With natural processing, they leave the fruit on during the drying process. Both have their place, either can produce excellent *tasting* coffee; which is the primary reason to drink it in my book.

Wiki is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_processing

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Thanks.

The bulletproof(Dave Asprey) claim is that mold/mycotoxins develop on most coffee beans especially when they are left in the sun to dry. And that over time the toxins are bad for you and in the immediate term they taste worse and cause headaches/lack of sleep etc compared to a quality mold free coffee.

Its probably similar to , say, whiskeys - buying a tesco whiskey blend for 14 quid versus a single malt of the finest ingrredients for 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Based on the temperatures involved in roasting I am not worried about perceived mould/toxins on the greens.

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

For my own information. I thought the pork scare a couple of years ago was about toxins entering the food chain from the use of some dodgy fuel to dry the feed. So just trying to square the burning of a fuel causing vs the roasting eliminating toxins. Does the question make sense?

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you mean.

btw Im on day 3 of butter coffee experiment. Tastes quite nice. MCT oil is not disagreeing with me at all, Id heard it rips other peoples stomachs apart. I use 30ml mct and a big teaspoon of unsalted grassfed butter. Will let you know after 30 days how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Based on the temperatures involved in roasting I am not worried about perceived mould/toxins on the greens.

Until you get a bag with potato defect, and though it'll do you no harm, all you can smell is spud.

Can't say i see sticking a knob of dairygold in every espresso a better alternative.

Im kinda confused on the reasoning behind the butter but I think its that your body gets the fat to burn for energy and thinks its had a meal. But a meal without the fibre and other stuff. Then the mct oil is meant to be carbs for energy except they bypass the lymph system or the usual process for energy and are turned immediately into energy to be burned.

Anyway, day 4 - the oily buttery coffee has a unique texture, Ill say that. I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Day 2 of this myself, really enjoying it, amazing texture to it.

Great burst of energy as well and no crash. I am using an organic coffee but will keep my eye out for a better coffee if I can come across one. I might actually try his brand.

• Advertisement

I did it for most of the past few weeks.cnat say i noticed much difference but I did have energy all morning.....in that I never noticed tiredness whereas usually I would....no magical bursts of energy though.

I add manuka honey to it too and burst it all with my new food processor.

One word of caution. I used 10ml of mct oil in the beginning and felt grand but then on day 4 I think I took 30-50 ml in the coffee and for about 24 hrs I was getting stomach cramps off and on. I dislike the oily texture and taste from the MCT oil now though. Maybe its my brand? I got it in a Polish sports nutrition shop in Bray.its a Polish brand. Dont know if theres any difference between brands though.

I still feel like my stomach is empty in the mornings ....except i have energy.Quite weird.

I had the same feeling, although I didn't use MCT oil, I do have very good coconut oil that I can use, unflavored as well.

Have't done it the past 2 days and the bloated/cramps have gone. I will say that I felt great after it, and it was only yesterday that the cramps and bloatedness came on.

This thread is positively surreal.

llatsni wrote: »
    This thread is positively surreal.

Haha, how so?

Historically there were two kinds of coffee drinkers: those who drank to keep awake in work, or those who drank for the taste.

This new third subspecies - those who drink to get ripped pectoral muscles and killer abs - I find absolutely brilliantly bizarre.

If you taste it thought, you will be converted.

If Im being honest - Im starting to miss the regular black coffee taste. was never a fan of coffee made with dairy products. The butter acts in the same way as milk or cream and turns it into a foamy brown drink. Maybe I will just drink it straight black again and rub the MCT oil and butter all over my new ripped abs and pectoral muscles. Yes thats a good plan.

I hear George Clooney is holding out for Nespresso pods containing de-caf and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Gintonious wrote: »
    If you taste it thought, you will be converted.

I doubt people who don't even take milk in their coffee ( most coffee snobs,me included ) will be 'converted' to some BS health pseudo-babble by a sh!ton of butter as well as a mysterious 'oil' added to their brew.

Jezek wrote: »
    I doubt people who don't even take milk in their coffee ( most coffee snobs,me included ) will be 'converted' to some BS health pseudo-babble by a sh!ton of butter as well as a mysterious 'oil' added to their brew.

Calm the jets there, the "mysterious" oil is basically coconut oil, proven to be one of the best things to take. If you can call it bull**** and provide evidence then please do.

• Advertisement

calm the jets indeed. It has been an interesting experiment and Im glad I did it.
    I think the science behind mct oil is sound as far as I can tell. Its a refined version of coconut oil with about 6 times the amount of medium chain triglycerides as coconut or palm oil. Its basically extra carbs in a way.
    Though, as for dave asprey, the bulletproof exec, who coined the term bulletproof coffee, well I have my doubts. I think hes trying to make a buck, but who isnt....also, he doesnt need to as hes a multi-millionaire, but I still have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

For a while now I've being having ground fresh coffee and 15ml of coconut oil in the mornings before training and all I can say is its rocket fuel.

siochain wrote: »
    For a while now I've being having ground fresh coffee and 15ml of coconut oil in the mornings before training and all I can say is its rocket fuel.

Is that virgin or refined coconut oil? If virgin, whats the flavour like in the coffee?

On a side-note, my daughter had weird dry skin on 2 of her toes and applying virgin coconut oil over the course of about 3 days cleared it right up. Currently, trying it on my dry skin on my hand that Ive had for about 10 yrs. See thats how I roll. I experiment on my kids first.

I would have my reservations about stuff that Asprey claims, although as you said, he is already quite wealthy, and he does all of the bulletproof stuff for free, he employs 7 people now to run it.

There is some science that has backed up the high fat diets, and they are now catching on more as the fad diets of low fat etc are now being proved wrong and obsolete.

A pinch of salt is needed with him. (not the coffee)

•I tried salted butter and it wasnt too bad.
    •Do you happen to have any links to papers etc on high-fat diets. Just out of curiosity. Ive been paleo 5 months. but everyone can find supporting evidence on the net to support whatever diet they choose. Id like to take look at real papers as opposed to blogs like Dave Aspreys or marksdailyapple.etc
    •I dont think Asprey does it for free, he charges quite a lot for his 'upgraded' coffee and mct oil. And I heard Robb Wolf point out that he couldnt see where Asprey provides any evidence for any of his claims on his site.

•I tried salted butter and it wasnt too bad.
    •Do you happen to have any links to papers etc on high-fat diets. Just out of curiosity. Ive been paleo 5 months. but everyone can find supporting evidence on the net to support whatever diet they choose. Id like to take look at real papers as opposed to blogs like Dave Aspreys or marksdailyapple.etc
    •I dont think Asprey does it for free, he charges quite a lot for his 'upgraded' coffee and mct oil. And I heard Robb Wolf point out that he couldnt see where Asprey provides any evidence for any of his claims on his site.

Well when I said for free, I meant the running of it, his products will obviously have a price attached to them, he isn't that rich!

For the high fat diet, ill try route out some stuff, I happen to go to a nutritionist that I trust, have gotten great results from him. He might not advocate high fats but he does recommend eating them, so in other words the rim of fat on your steak should be eaten, he also told me if I use a George Foreman grill, that I should pour the fat back over my meat, I will ask him, and Ill try route out some stuff now myself.

EDIT* Here is a quick article on saturated fats in our diet and their benefits. Its quite long actually but it gives a decent insight, although as with everything I'm sure someone could come along and completely debunk that paper.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller33.1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Is that virgin or refined coconut oil? If virgin, whats the flavour like in the coffee?
    Using the unrefined stuff, tastes grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

llatsni wrote: »
    Historically there were two kinds of coffee drinkers: those who drank to keep awake in work, or those who drank for the taste.

This new third subspecies - those who drink to get ripped pectoral muscles and killer abs - I find absolutely brilliantly bizarre.

caffeine has been sold in fitness supplements for a long time - it raises metabolic rate and helps burn fat. drinking coffee has the same effect. so it might sound bizarre but in the fitness world caffeine is just another supplement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Mods - may I suggest moving this to the "Nutrition & Diet" forums?

• Advertisement

Was thinking myself it was more suited to Nutrition & Diet.
    Focus is on coffee as a supplement as opposed to enjoying it.

Regards,

GH.

Advertisement