Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales, Six Nations 2016, Sunday 7th Feb, 2016. KO 3PMGMT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

aimee1 wrote: »
    bit of gamesmanship from gatland maybe? name anscombe with no intention of starting him

I wouldn't be surprised. No idea why Wales would name their side 48 hours before Ireland anyway. How can that not be an advantage to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rocked-late-injury-gareth-10853303

Any of Williams, Morgan or Priestland could fit in and not weaken them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Twitter
    Simon Thomas (@simonrug) tweeted at 0:43 PM on Sun, Feb 07, 2016:
    Have spoken to WRU and they say the team will be confirmed on arrival at the ground. Liam Williams was here already as a travelling reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Positive hat on now. If you think about it we have 60% of our tight 5 available (on form McGrath would surely be starting anyway), McCarthy is playing good rugby, White is a bit of an unknown I'll grant you, but if he holds his end up in the scrum before Furlong comes on to do similar and carry a bit then it's job done.

The back row is grand. I have no doubt CJ will take to test rugby like a duck to water, albeit the first 20 minutes will be a challenge to him as it is for any new cap. TOD is quick and is good at finding gaps and then of course we have the ever present Heaslip at No.8

The half backs are first choice and if they play well we will play well. As for the outside backs I think it's a really good backline. Yeah I'd have started Payne at FB but actually that back three is an exciting selection. Trimble brings pace and power and will chase kicks all day, Earls has pace and footwork and can pick good lines popping up in midfield and Zebo, while not in great form, is more than capable of bringing an attacking threat that Wales may not have been expecting earlier in the week. The centres are rock solid defensively, I genuinely can't remember ever missing a tackle last year, and they are much more of an attacking threat that they are given credit for. Payne has hit the ground running on his return from injury and Henshaw has shown what a talent he is. I think he will have a massive game today.

The bench maybe isn't as strong as you'd like but is it any wonder when you are missing so many players. Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Ruddock and Madigan are capable of bringing something different from the bench.

I am confident we'll play well today, whether we win or not remains to be seen, but in hindsight it isn't a bad selection at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

aimee1 wrote: »
    bit of gamesmanship from gatland maybe? name anscombe with no intention of starting him

If he plays. Yes. Far superior fb. Match fitness?
    Kiwi Cuboid strikes again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I wouldn't be too worried about White at all tbh, I'll be satisfied with a TH who locks out the scrum and White will do that.

McCarthy's playing decently enough and will do okay, although 2nd row will still be our weakest line on the pitch, you'd imagine.

TOD isn't SOB and won't be SOB, but TOD complements POM & Stander nicely for Munster (although if all 3 of those aren't there, our back row struggles) and I think Stander's physicality and prowess on the deck will at least negate the absence of SOB a little bit. TOD will do what is, work himself in the ground. Against Tipuric & Warburton, we are at a disadvantage at the breakdown, we need Heaslip to step up bigtime too.

Sadly, there is cause to be worried about what are probably our two best players- Murray & Sexton. If they both find their top form, we will win, I think. But both have struggled to find their form. The outside backs will work hard and generally be solid... I don't see our gameplan today being very expansive, weather doesn't suit that kind of rugby either.

We can win, I don't know if we will though. I'm not as negative as some but we are missing a lot of players. But, being positive, I'll say we'll win by 5.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can a poll be added to see the breakdown of win/lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Reading previous posts I agree that this years 6 nations is very downbeat altogether, the buzz just isn't there at the moment.

On to today's game, I think Ireland will struggle and Wales might that extra bit to get them over the line.

Injuries are a big factor, I think with SOB out we might struggle at the breakdown which is normally a mess when Garces refs and the Welsh will target this with bodies on the deck, slow to roll away. Hipefully I'm wrong and the back row have a good game.

I will be also interested to see how the backs get on, it mightn't be the day for them with the weather that is predicted but even show some moves would be good!

All that said Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Here comes the rain.
    Box.Kick.Chase.Catch.Ruck.Pass.Garryowen.Catch.Ruck.Pass.Try.
    Simple
    But effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Here comes the rain.
    Box.Kick.Chase.Catch.Ruck.Pass.Garryowen.Catch.Ruck.Pass.Try.
    Simple
    But effective?

Effective if we win. I think we'll earn it today, not confident of a win at all.

Wales have shown that even with their opponents going ahead early they seldom panic, they stick to their game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

LorMal wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus Molloy, you're back to ill using 'reactionary' again! After me teaching you and everything.
    Sigh.

You didn't read my reply to that post then no? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

As I'm a mongrel i don't know will I be cheering both sides or beating myself up when one side pulls ahead of the other today....but, expecting a massive game from CJ today. The guy is an exceptional player, a leader and shows by example.... I expect him to score.... And clatter North if at all possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Again with the flash, expensive, time wasting promos. Absolute nonsense.

Are the RTE sports department obliged to create work for the RTE graphic design department to keep them in a job? I wonder how much that cost to put together?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why are they not in the broadcasting space they used to be? Pitchside broadcasting always looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Daire makes me miss TV3. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Much better pre game showing by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

BBC all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

.ak wrote: »
    BBC all the way.

Good luck with that. Its on ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 37,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Music on 96.0FM at the moment so no ref link for now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lol. Just saw sean obriens supermacs ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Martin Bayfield interviewing Darcy, Shane Williams and a womens rugby player pitch side. Like a dad out with his kids to the match for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Jaysus they could have given Shane and Darce a box or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bayfield beside the lads/lady cracks me up every time the camera pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Bod and Wilko in the studios on ITV. Darce on the field alongside Shane Williams. That's a cracking line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

What the f**k is this? And is it ever gonna end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

stay classy - it is an add for Focus Ireland charity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Talk about downer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Damn. That Focus ad was powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

15 minutes until kick off? Stadium taking an awful long time to fill up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That was wider of the mark than Sergio Parisse's drop goal attempt...

Advertisement