Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They could possibly save it if they sold the console without the controller (dropping the price substantially in doing so) and put in the ability to use an ipad or android touch screen device or a kindle or surface pro or whatever in it's place as most people have these things. It's tough buying a console and then only been able to play it by yourself unless a friend happens to have one too as the controllers are so cripplingly expensive. Half the allure of consoles, for me at least, is being able to throw it on when a friend calls up and hand them a controller and play some co-op or head to head. This was the main thrust of the Wii in my eyes and it's all but lost on the Wii U as buying a second controller is just too much.
    You seem to be under the illusion that people can buy a second Wii U pad to play two player games. This was talked about as a possibility, but it's not currently the case at all.

Most two player games can be played with one person on the Wii U pad, and another on a Wii remote (with/without nunchuck) or a Wii U Pro Controller.
    PC + PS4/Xbox One + Wii U is all a true gamer really needs ;)
    You missed the 3DS ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yes the Wii U isn't doing well but I don't understand why so many online are happy about the fact.

They complain about the price and that the gamepad is a stupid gimmick yet are rushing out to but XBox One with a mandatory Kinect. Also people blaming the name yet how come the XBox One name hasn't caused any confusion?

I can't see third parties rushing back anytime soon. They won't develop if there are no customers and people aren't buying the Wii U due to the third parties not devloping for it. Also due to the small install base, anyone who's a fan of multiplayer is less likely to play a third party multiplayer game on Wii U due to less people being online.

And even if there is a turnaround in sales and third party devs decide to come back, it won;t be sudden as they'll then need time to develop leading to delayed releases which will be along the lines of the launch lineup. And this was one of EA's excuses for abandoning the Wi U. They blamed the fact that games that were released on other platforms a long time before the Wii U launch, such as Mass Effect 3, sold poorly on Wii U.

I have one. I like it. But sadly I think, like the Wii, self proclaimed "hardcore gamers" will dismiss it as having no/kids' games and say Nintendo never do anything different with their games. The Wii had some of the best games around, in my opinion and I still have games like Mario 3D World to play on my Wii U.

Also they make games that let me do something a lot of games these days seem to ignore. They let me have fun. :D

And just so you know, I've got the Nintendo consoles, PS3 and PC.

Everyone have their own way of having fun. I had fun playing DayZ with my friends using ventrilo, then I had fun playing Metro Last light in completely dark room ( I know weird funb lol ), then I had fun playing Persona 4 golden in my bed.
    Not everyone ( me included ) have fun playing mario games. I dont see it as fun and unfortunately there is nothing much outside of that on Wii U right now. Well, it does have MH3, but I am able to play that on 3DS and to make it even worse MH4 is only on 3DS ( which is stupid ).

Nintendo right now putting all its eggs in to one basket - Own franchises. To their defence they dont have other choice as all other publishers took their baskets away and went to other sandboxes to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is an excellent strategy if they had killer exclusives to back it up.

Well, if there's one thing Nintendo really can't be said to lack it's first party releases with broad appeal. I've no idea if they'll be enough, if some excellent Mario, Zelda or whatever title will make the console a must buy for enough people for 3rd parties to become interested maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Everyone have their own way of having fun. I had fun playing DayZ with my friends using ventrilo, then I had fun playing Metro Last light in completely dark room ( I know weird funb lol ), then I had fun playing Persona 4 golden in my bed.
    Not everyone ( me included ) have fun playing mario games. I dont see it as fun and unfortunately there is nothing much outside of that on Wii U right now. Well, it does have MH3, but I am able to play that on 3DS and to make it even worse MH4 is only on 3DS ( which is stupid ).

Nintendo right now putting all its eggs in to one basket - Own franchises. To their defence they dont have other choice as all other publishers took their baskets away and went to other sandboxes to play.

I just mean fun and lighthearted without their games needing to be all dark and serious the whole time. Though dark and violent games can be fun as well. (Infamous, House of the Dead Overkill, Mad World)

And when you say they put all their eggs in one basket, I'd have to disagree. seems they've at least 2. The second being 3DS. Seems every Direct is "We know we've no games coming to Wii U, so here's more 3DS games" It's been said multiple times on sites that 3DS is established now so they should concentrate more on getting Wii U a bit of a foothold.

Although the 3DS is a success now after not doing well at launch, the boost they got is probably the worst thing for Wii U. They believed what worked for the 3DS would work for the Wii U and it would have a similar comeback.

I just mean fun and lighthearted without their games needing to be all dark and serious the whole time. Though dark and violent games can be fun as well. (Infamous, House of the Dead Overkill, Mad World)

And when you say they put all their eggs in one basket, I'd have to disagree. seems they've at least 2. The second being 3DS. Seems every Direct is "We know we've no games coming to Wii U, so here's more 3DS games" It's been said multiple times on sites that 3DS is established now so they should concentrate more on getting Wii U a bit of a foothold.

Although the 3DS is a success now after not doing well at launch, the boost they got is probably the worst thing for Wii U. They believed what worked for the 3DS would work for the Wii U and it would have a similar comeback.

I am not saying that I play those games due them being dark or serious. I just find fun in those games and I dont find Fun in Mario games. I dont find fun in Mario games not because they are not serious or dark...

I was talking more about Wii U and that basket. Thats the topic we discussing here. I might be more clear on that. As for 3ds, its biggest Wii Us enemy. Nintendo is doing a lot of games that work on both consoles. So when we all got 3ds in our hands it makes even less point of getting Wii U. If MH3 would have been Wii U only, I would own Wii U already. It was not, so I sank 80h in to it on 3ds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

What some people on here seem to think is the failure of the Wii U means the end of Nintendo as a hardware manufacturer. They should easily have enough reserves to see out another home console generation.

What some people on here seem to think is the failure of the Wii U means the end of Nintendo as a hardware manufacturer. They should easily have enough reserves to see out another home console generation.

They can launch 3 more Wii Us and maybe 2 more Virtual boys, before they will actual start going in to proper red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

They can launch 3 more Wii Us and maybe 2 more Virtual boys, before they will actual start going in to proper red.

It's more about how the company will change in response to making substantial losses, something Nintendo and its shareholders have seldom had to deal with.

They won't pull out of hardware, no way, but things could change massively soon. They could easily announce that their next "console" is an educational tablet or something, all bets are off. And WiiU, great little machine though it is, may not last beyond next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think a price drop is needed too. Was just in Argos today and browsing when I noticed that you can't really buy a 32gb Wii U for less than 330 euro. I know that's with a game but it's still only 70 euro less than a PS4. Get the price down to 249.99 with a pack-in game, say Zelda, and it's a more tempting prospect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You bought a Virtual Boy but you wouldn't buy a Wii U?

Actually, I do own a Virtual Boy and Wii U along with most other things Nintendo have released.
    The WiiU is a cracking machine and the games are superb so far.
    When buying a console are you jumping in to have better tech demos, all particle effects and lighting or would you prefer games you can really really enjoy?
    If the latter then the WiiU won't disappoint at all.
    Who the heck needs another Fifa anyway?
    My 360/PS3/WiiU console combination will keep in good current games for the next year at least, before I buy one of the two identikit consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

if the wii u ends up becoming a niche console with niche games I dont care as long the game experience are fulfilling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I really hope Nintendo turn it around like the 3DS. The day there is no Nintendo console competing with the others will be a very sad day indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I am not saying that I play those games due them being dark or serious. I just find fun in those games and I dont find Fun in Mario games. I dont find fun in Mario games not because they are not serious or dark...

Maybe you should give them another chance and approach them with no bias, considering you hated jrpgs and now are really enjoying the jrpg parts of persona 4. You might enjoy them. I say this because the only person that could say mario games aren't fun is the devil himself :)

As for Nintendo going third party this generation, not a hope. They've too much money at the moment and and worth too much with all that great ip and the 3ds is doing amazingly well. WiiU will make money in the long run and will probably do GameCube numbers.

WiiU marketing was very poor but I think another factor was the game pad. People understood the wiimote, it was simple to understand. With the wiiu Nintendo have made a console with the most complicated controller of the lot.

As long as the WiiU keeps its head above water I'll be happy. I see no reason to pick up the other two consoles yet while the wiiu has a library that embarrasses both of them. As long as I'm getting those great games I don't care. I can see it acting like the GameCube when I eventually get on of the big two.

As for who the wiiu is marketed to, at the moment it just looks like Nintendo fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Has anyone explained how they lost 230million? That can't all be down to the Wii-U

The 3DS hasn't sold as well as predicted so guessing that accounts for some of the figure.

This quote is from April 2012
    For the 2011 fiscal year (April 2011 through March 2012), Nintendo posted a historic first-ever net loss of $530 million dollars.

Add in 2013 and is that over $700 million lost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Has anyone explained how they lost 230million? That can't all be down to the Wii-U

The 3DS hasn't sold as well as predicted so guessing that accounts for some of the figure.

Where are you getting the 2013 loss from? Pretty sure Nintendo were profitable this year. As for the loss from 2012, it costs money to make a new console and if you are selling it at a loss you will lose money. Pretty sure Sony and especially Microsoft are losing money hand over fist at the moment on their consoles. Once software sales pick up that loss is negated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No they made a hefty loss, it was on BBC at some point this week. Will find link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 2013 loss from? Pretty sure Nintendo were profitable this year. As for the loss from 2012, it costs money to make a new console and if you are selling it at a loss you will lose money. Pretty sure Sony and especially Microsoft are losing money hand over fist at the moment on their consoles. Once software sales pick up that loss is negated.

Predicited loss, could be even worse.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/nintendo-warns-of-full-year-loss-on-weak-wii-u-3ds-sales-1.1658821

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

RasTa wrote: »

Console R&D game development etc all add up when stuff isnt selling as well as it could

230mill isnt a terrible loss when nintendo dont have any debt and have cash reserves of about 70billion

the 2011 loss by the wii reaching saturation with the 3ds not selling along with wii u R&D so it looks alot worse than it really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

The real issue imo is the NON existant third party support!....loads of compamies have pulled out of supplying Wii U titles, the install base is sooo small the money dosent justify development costs.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Sony and Microsoft are loosing WAY less then Nintendo with the Wii U....its estimated Sony is only loosing 20-30 Dollars per PS4, whereas Microsoft are loosing 50-80.

nintendo are loosing over 100$ per console!

I would add further points....the Wii U is seen by many as for children, not teens or adults. And many of the first party games are very much for young children, in addition the MiiVerse is soooo utterly modded you cannot say or do anything remotely "adult" without being modded.

The gamepad is too large and bulky, having to look at the gamepad and then the screen is infuriating to say the least! :mad:

Dreadful battery life, the OS is woefully slow....the Wii U is just hopelessly underpowered :(

Yes the Wii U isn't doing well but I don't understand why so many online are happy about the fact.

They complain about the price and that the gamepad is a stupid gimmick yet are rushing out to but XBox One with a mandatory Kinect. Also people blaming the name yet how come the XBox One name hasn't caused any confusion?

I can't see third parties rushing back anytime soon. They won't develop if there are no customers and people aren't buying the Wii U due to the third parties not devloping for it. Also due to the small install base, anyone who's a fan of multiplayer is less likely to play a third party multiplayer game on Wii U due to less people being online.

And even if there is a turnaround in sales and third party devs decide to come back, it won;t be sudden as they'll then need time to develop leading to delayed releases which will be along the lines of the launch lineup. And this was one of EA's excuses for abandoning the Wi U. They blamed the fact that games that were released on other platforms a long time before the Wii U launch, such as Mass Effect 3, sold poorly on Wii U.

I have one. I like it. But sadly I think, like the Wii, self proclaimed "hardcore gamers" will dismiss it as having no/kids' games and say Nintendo never do anything different with their games. The Wii had some of the best games around, in my opinion and I still have games like Mario 3D World to play on my Wii U.

Also they make games that let me do something a lot of games these days seem to ignore. They let me have fun. :D

And just so you know, I've got the Nintendo consoles, PS3 and PC.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Right, but this isn't the same situation. Nintendo are not bankrupt, or haemorrhaging money. All they need to do in fact, is pay more attention to the competition, step up the advertising, and price drop the sodding Wii U.

You can buy a 32GB Premium Wii U for 250 Euro now....and its still not flying off the shelves :(:confused:

jenjenten wrote: »
    You can buy a 32GB Premium Wii U for 250 Euro now....and its still not flying off the shelves :(:confused:

Where?

They could possibly save it if they sold the console without the controller (dropping the price substantially in doing so) and put in the ability to use an ipad or android touch screen device or a kindle or surface pro or whatever in it's place as most people have these things. It's tough buying a console and then only been able to play it by yourself unless a friend happens to have one too as the controllers are so cripplingly expensive. Half the allure of consoles, for me at least, is being able to throw it on when a friend calls up and hand them a controller and play some co-op or head to head. This was the main thrust of the Wii in my eyes and it's all but lost on the Wii U as buying a second controller is just too much.

Drop the gamepad....bundle the pro controller, sorted!.....199.99 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Polar101

I would add further points....the Wii U is seen by many as for children, not teens or adults. And many of the first party games are very much for young children

I never really understood the 'Nintendo is for kids' argument - they've been around for decades, as have most of their main franchises. Surely the kids have grown up by now? Maybe it's just because some of their consoles have been pretty cheap when compared to competition, so parents go for Nintendo as a first console.

But Wii U isn't exactly cheap, and surely Sony and Microsoft have more 'kids' titles available than Wii U does.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Nintendo need to make a console just as powerful as the next PS5 and xbox. They'd be complete and utter idiots to do what they've done this gen again.

Underpowered console with no 3rd party support, aimed at casuals who bought the wii because it was a gimmick, but never again.

If they had a powerful console they'd have the first party and 3rd party and could have a console you wouldn't get second to a playstation or xbox. It could actually directly compete.

As it stands I don't see any value in a wii u

The problem i see is that nintendo dont see the point of making the most powerful console!.....all there games dont need the horsepower and run fine on the Wii, let alone the Wii U.

They are stuck in the past, rely too much on first party games, overprotective of their intelectual property + are very much a closed mindset and stuck in the late 80's

Drop the gamepad....bundle the pro controller, sorted!.....199.99 ;)

Then it would lose the only thing that makes it unique and interesting and worth owning beside the ps4/xbox one.

If they would drop pad, then it would be an old gen console with feck all games on it.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I never really understood the 'Nintendo is for kids' argument - they've been around for decades, as have most of their main franchises. Surely the kids have grown up by now? Maybe it's just because some of their consoles have been pretty cheap when compared to competition, so parents go for Nintendo as a first console.

But Wii U isn't exactly cheap, and surely Sony and Microsoft have more 'kids' titles available than Wii U does.

Many of there games are rehashes of game from the 80's and 90's....are graphically simple compared to next gen titles, they are mostly old skool platformers.

Thats not to say they are bad games, but the perception is they are old games for children.

• Advertisement

Then it would lose the only thing that makes it unique and interesting and worth owning beside the ps4/xbox one.

If they would drop pad, then it would be an old gen console with feck all games on it.

True....but it would sell alot more!....people dont like the dual looking at screen gamepad crap!, if they made it like a normal console they could cut another 50 quid off the price and sell it as proper console!

Advertisement