Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I can't wait for this. One of my fave things about the original is the sheer variety of weapons and armor available. I really hope this remains. I hope they do something about the lagstabs as well:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know they said there would be a way, but any ideas how you will be able to get past those dragons on the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I know they said there would be a way, but any ideas how you will be able to get past those dragons on the bridge?

I'm hoping... you fly one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Some sort of stealth technique / invisibility maybe?

It was a cool looking scene, very dynamic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Apparently Dark Souls sold 2.36 million copies all told. Looks like good numbers to me.

c_l1365732815_11umso0.jpg

• Advertisement

Yup, sounds like good sales to me. Here's a new trailer just showing off the environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Liked the look of the battlements area. Hopefully reminiscent of Boletaria castle from Demons Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This game cannot come soon enough. Worse thing is its probably another year off. From the IGN video it seems that dual wielding might be more viable this time around and that a torch has insane block rating :eek:

This game cannot come soon enough. Worse thing is its probably another year off. From the IGN video it seems that dual wielding might be more viable this time around and that a torch has insane block rating :eek:

I actually reckon it'll be out before the end of the year but even if it isn't I don't mind at all due to the games coming out and the games I have to finish or replay (including Dark Souls as I haven't played the DLC yet) :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

xlarge.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's only 25-30% complete so id say it would be released end of 2014 or early 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

It's only 25-30% complete so id say it would be released end of 2014 or early 2015

I would highly doubt that. By the end of 2014, early 2015, the next gen consoles will be in full flight. Id say early 2014 at the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

I hope they leave out the bonfire warping from Dark Souls. I thought the game was at its strongest when you had to traverse the map on foot using all the various shortcuts.
    When the lord vessel and warping was introduced the game world shrunk abit imo.
    Its a minor grip though, I love the first one.
    Even Bioshock Inifinite hasnt managed to release me from Dark Souls grip, I got sucked back into my third playthrough last night and loved every minute of it. What a shelf life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I never thought I'd say this after all the initial talk but it almost looks a bit too similar to dark souls! :pac:

No in all seriousness if this is shapes up to be on par with Demon's and Dark then it will cement the souls series as my all time favourite. Not a huge amount to take from the video. The new environment effects look good and it's just more of the same all round really.

Bring it on!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A good overview of some of the major changes in Dark Souls 2, with some new ingame footage. No spoilers/boss fights either. Can't bloody wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched this earlier commentator has a very soothing voice !!

for a self confessed dark souls addict , what he had to say is very positive. Small changes to the mechanics of the game, and he seems to think for the better. I only wish he could have accessed the menu to have a look at it, as he was limited with the characters and what he could do with them. It would be good to know about the humanity and maybe something about the covenants. Still this will all come out in time.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For the love of god put a bonfire beside the fog gate to each boss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Mickeroo wrote: »
    For the love of god put a bonfire beside the fog gate to each boss :pac:

I absolutely hope they don't go that route. It's part of what makes it a challenge.

I absolutely hope they don't go that route. It's part of what makes it a challenge.

very true, plus if you really want, there is a quick route to the all the fog gates. Even the 4 kings can be got to in a few minutes once you know where to jump off. most others you can just sprint past enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

this game is the game that will make me return to my xbox360 once next gen is released

this game beats next gen . :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's not challenging to sprint through a section just tedious imo. I think the challenging part is the boss fights themselves and also when you explore a new area for the first time.

If there are going to be invasions in the game (very likely) then putting a bonfire beside a boss fog gate will completely negate that aspect of the gameplay so I would highly doubt there will be bonfires near any bosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's not challenging to sprint through a section just tedious imo. I think the challenging part is the boss fights themselves and also when you explore a new area for the first time

Yeah just got to sen's in new game plus and it took me maybe 10-15 minutes to get to the boss collecting and killing all but the demons in the pit. I wonder will they use the same fixed enemy spawns or randomise them a little ? I'm guessing they will stay fixed.

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah just got to sen's in new game plus and it took me maybe 10-15 minutes to get to the boss collecting and killing all but the demons in the pit. I wonder will they use the same fixed enemy spawns or randomise them a little ? I'm guessing they will stay fixed.

I'd imagine the enemies will be fixed, with mini bosses not re-spawning. Just guessing from what I have seen in the videos so far, and that no one mentions any other system in the commentaries.

I really hope they don't change it. I think it works well as it is. Random enemies in an already hard game could drive people mad !! Especially if you are just doing a run to the boss and enemies popping up in unexpected places to kill you. The likes of the climb out of blightown with random darts and barbarians would be very tedious !!!

I hope what he said about carrying multiple weapons is true. I've always thought a better system would be to allow players to equip whatever their burden allows them to. If that means wearing lighter armour to equip a 3rd or even 4th weapon then fair game. Also if what he says about the dodge mechanics are true it's a great change. Invincibility frames are never a good thing so changing it so attacks have a very specific hit range that can be dodged accordingly sounds great. Also please please please let the backstab window be about 80% smaller and let it be interruptible.

I don't mind the extra healing items as such but I hope they limit or ban them from pvp. Demon's Souls pvp was a chore as it just became a grass eating fest which could take forever!

I'm actually looking forward to this more than the PS4!

Big Knox wrote: »
    I don't mind the extra healing items as such but I hope they limit or ban them from pvp. Demon's Souls pvp was a chore as it just became a grass eating fest which could take forever!

Not familiar with Demon Souls PvP, but if it's the same as Dark Souls then id doubt there will be any limit or ban on extra items or healing. Basically the Soul's franchise is more of a primarily single player experience but with integrated multiplayer elements. It would be hard to limit something that is already freely integrated into the single player experience.

The only alternative to limiting/banning heal items would be an arena type event such as the Dark Souls stoicism arena (although I haven't tried that yet so don't know if they ban/limit heal items)

Not familiar with Demon Souls PvP, but if it's the same as Dark Souls then id doubt there will be any limit or ban on extra items or healing. Basically the Soul's franchise is more of a primarily single player experience but with integrated multiplayer elements. It would be hard to limit something that is already freely integrated into the single player experience.

The only alternative to limiting/banning heal items would be an arena type event such as the Dark Souls stoicism arena (although I haven't tried that yet so don't know if they ban/limit heal items)

I don' expect there to be myself however they came up with the Estus flask to combat the problem of unlimited healing through grass in Demon's as they had a lot of negative feedback from it so I'm hoping there is something in place to stop people stocking up with 99 of each item and essentially having unlimited healing in both single player and pvp.

It's all hear say at the moment anyway, I have faith they will get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Big Knox wrote: »
    I Also please please please let the backstab window be about 80% smaller and let it be interruptible.

Backstab as it is in single player was fine in Dark souls. The animation was wonky but they are fixing that. So I hope they don't change anything else.

You fix the lag backstab fest online by disabling backstabs in pvp. It's really that simple.

Kirby wrote: »
    Backstab as it is in single player was fine in Dark souls. The animation was wonky but they are fixing that. So I hope they don't change anything else.

You fix the lag backstab fest online by disabling backstabs in pvp. It's really that simple.

Removing them completely might be too far as a lot of the crit weapons are designed specifically for them and it is a direct counter to massive poise + great weapon builds. If they reduced the window by a large margin and fixed their terrible netcode it would go a long way to helping however I could definitely live with them removing it from pvp completely if that's how they decided to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A closed beta is starting on the 5th of October on PS3

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/59848/dark-souls-ii-closed-beta-coming-to-ps3-this-fall
    The depth of the Dark Souls II Closed-Beta experience will truly test players’ skill, intestinal fortitude, and their sheer will to survive. The Dark Souls II Closed-Beta will delve into one of the most treacherous areas of the Dark Souls II world; players will not only get an opportunity to explore an entirely new area of the game, but also experience overwhelming enemy encounters, diabolical challenges, and the unrelenting difficultly that only the developers at FromSoftware can deliver.

Advertisement