Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Do you start with weapons or do you need to "grind" or "farm" them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do you start with weapons or do you need to "grind" or "farm" them?

You start with a pistol, but you find weapons in vehicles, of which there are plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'v found usually your "first" character gets equipped with decent gear (Assault Rifle of some type, pistol and armoured clothing). Any time after that when you die you just spawn with a pistol.

As Majestic said, you usually find weapons in vehicles, buildings etc until you kill someone for a better one or buy one yourself or get one from a mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'll have to give this a go then. I loved playing ARMA2 but never go in to Arma 3 at the same level. Are there any groups playing together from boards? My SteamID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/bugsire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

There are some boards players on gaellords but most of us who play together are from all over. Wasteland is good fun but we've played it so much that we are trying out other modes now but you are welcome to join us. We don't take it that seriously at all.

We've been trying BECTI over the last few nights. It took a while to learn the basics but if anyone wants to hop on our TS with us we'll pass on what we've learned so far.

If you want to play on your own versus other random players then I'd reccomend the Battleroyale mod for arma 3. The easiest way to get this is by using playwithsix. It's great if you have a half hour to spare and want a bit of escapism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can I unlock this on steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Can I unlock this on steam?

Not without using a russian VPN,not sure if you need to VPN to play after or just for unlocking on Steam.

Seems to be between €35-40 on most sites at the moment as well. Id wait for it to go on sale at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'm still playing Altis Life and still having fun. Getting 50-60fps too all on high with shadows.

Definitely improved.

Last time I tried Altis life it ran like a dog. No matter what settings I would use. I know my old girl showing signs of ageing, but it should not be that bad.

I really want to try out wasteland. Is it same way like Altis life? Just connect to a server and it will download needed stuff? Or is it outside mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I really want to try out wasteland. Is it same way like Altis life? Just connect to a server and it will download needed stuff? Or is it outside mod?

Yep it downloads all the files you need when you connect.

Wasteland isn't as RP orientated as Altis Life is, it's pretty much just pure PvP with the options of making your own bases, lots of vehicles, side missions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Wasteland in Arma 3 is good. The only thing letting it down is the maps. Stratis is small and featureless and quite boring and Altis is just too big for wasteland. You start heading to a mission and by the time you get half way there someone else has got it, so head to another one and the process repeats itself and you end up just driving around. Because everyone is so spread out pitched battles between squads rarely happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

MadYaker wrote: »
    Wasteland in Arma 3 is good. The only thing letting it down is the maps. Stratis is small and featureless and quite boring and Altis is just too big for wasteland. You start heading to a mission and by the time you get half way there someone else has got it, so head to another one and the process repeats itself and you end up just driving around. Because everyone is so spread out pitched battles between squads rarely happen.

Which is why I created a custom version called smALTIS which only uses the Western, more interesting half of Altis. Search for GAEL to find it:

b_560_95_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Last time I tried Altis life it ran like a dog. No matter what settings I would use. I know my old girl showing signs of ageing, but it should not be that bad.

Yea Wasteland is like DayZ but much better and without the irritating zombies.

Plenty of vehicles 'abandoned' everywhere with nice loot. Some have objectives to do including find weapons caches/helicopters. Money is accumulated through murder :P which can be used to buy food and supplies at stores dotted around the map. (Usually a hot spot for gun fights mind you).

It's very much shoot on site so if you're bored of 'having to have a reason to murder everyone' $hit or just want to run anyone you see over, wasteland is a good bet :D

So yeah, tried - Wasteland... Its bull**** and its coming from a person who played 200h of Rust.

Spawn and get instantly killed. Spawn raping at its best. Not killed by other Bambies ( though they all just go pew pew too as soon as they see your ass ), but by people with assault rifles. Its feels like they farming...
    I spent a lot more time on "respawning" screen then actually game time.

I tried actually communicate a few seconds I was still alive, but it only gone well once, just because the person I was talking too ran out of bullets... :pac:

I LOVE Arma3 engine and how much superior ir is to arma2 and DayZ, I will try to give it a go on less populated server. Maybe I just joined some dick hole server where every single newby spawn area is a hunting ground for assholes.
    So far it looks like a pure shoot em up by those who managed to get a bigger stick and a position outside of spawn towns.

So yeah, tried - Wasteland... Its bull**** and its coming from a person who played 200h of Rust.

Spawn and get instantly killed. Spawn raping at its best. Not killed by other Bambies ( though they all just go pew pew too as soon as they see your ass ), but by people with assault rifles. Its feels like they farming...
    I spent a lot more time on "respawning" screen then actually game time.

I tried actually communicate a few seconds I was still alive, but it only gone well once, just because the person I was talking too ran out of bullets... :pac:

I think you have the wrong idea of what Wasteland is...choose Blufor or Opfor to get started. You should be able to spawn in a town where team mates are. Arma is a game, as you know, where someone with a pistol can easily take out someone with an assault rifle under the right circumstances, so people will generally take out people even with just pistols.

If you choose Independent, expect to get shot at. Communication isn't going to help you. There is no trust involved like in DayZ etc. - it's not that type of game. It's a quick and easy, get up and get armed and go kill people version of DayZ.

I think you may have been unlucky with the spawns you got - that has never happened me that I'm instantly killed when I spawn. Like I said, if you should one of the teams as opposed to Independents, you can usually spawn in a town where there are team mates. That might be a good start.

I think you have the wrong idea of what Wasteland is...choose Blufor or Opfor to get started. You should be able to spawn in a town where team mates are. Arma is a game, as you know, where someone with a pistol can easily take out someone with an assault rifle under the right circumstances, so people will generally take out people even with just pistols.

If you choose Independent, expect to get shot at. Communication isn't going to help you. There is no trust involved like in DayZ etc. - it's not that type of game. It's a quick and easy, get up and get armed and go kill people version of DayZ.

I think you may have been unlucky with the spawns you got - that has never happened me that I'm instantly killed when I spawn. Like I said, if you should one of the teams as opposed to Independents, you can usually spawn in a town where there are team mates. That might be a good start.

Is there any way to see who is a team mate, and who is not? Every time I was killed it said friendly fire. Any general tips for the game? I really want to give it a go again, maybe on less populated server.
    You are right too, I was expecting a bit Different gameplay here as some people were talking down Rust as a game, because wasteland just better version of it. Now I really know those two games are just different as hell.

Wasteland is nothing like Rust, I dunno how anyone could say it is.

Teammates will have either a blue square on them for Blufor or a red square for Opfor. These squares will only be shown when you're less than 300m (I think) from them.
    If you're Independent you don't have any teammates, unless you group up with other players. You can do this by using the button above TAB and then Group Management. Players in your group will then appear with green squares on them.

You can ignore the Friendly Fire in chat - Arma wasn't really designed for this kind of gameplay. Friendly fire will be shown when someone in Blufor kills another Blufor, when an Opfor kills an Opfor or when an Indie kills an Indie - even though Indies are technically against every other player.

Just to note I haven't played the Arma 3 version much so the above info applies to Arma 2, but I'd imagine most of it is the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just to note I haven't played the Arma 3 version much so the above info applies to Arma 2, but I'd imagine most of it is the exact same.

It is.

There is no trust between enemies in this game. You start with $100, food, water and (on smAltis) a repair kit and the easiest way for me to get them from you is to shoot you.
    If he doesn't have a square above his head, you fight or you flee.

xD

You don't play wasteland to make friends....

I always think of it like the world of Mad Max.

Kill or Die.

Independent is the only way for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Taylor365 wrote: »
    xD

You don't play wasteland to make friends....

I always think of it like the world of Mad Max.

Kill or Die.

Independent is the only way for me :P

I played it that way for awhile too but i find it gets boring,i usually try jump on opfor or blufor now and get one or two people into a group and try for missions etc

Played a few rounds of king of the hill last night,was very enjoyable,was on a good server and our team co operated so we romped to victory 3 rounds in a row:)
    Takes awhile for each round though,bout 3 hours i think for the 3 rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Is there many here playing Wasteland? Might pick it up if there is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mr Blobby wrote: »

I think they mean the Wasteland game mode servers for ARMA III not the kickstarted game Wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

5uspect wrote: »
    I think they mean the Wasteland game mode servers for ARMA III not the kickstarted game Wasteland.

...I meant the Arma mod :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

...I meant the Arma mod :pac:

Wasn't quite sure there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Decent amount of guys playing on our servers & TS Server most nights.

TS: gaellords.com

Servers: Search Gaellords

Hop on & have some craic

Was on a RU server last night.

80 players.

Russians shouting and roaring as soon as we spawned so we had to mute VON communications. Also it was on Stratis xD

Soon as you spawn you have to move fast or you're dead.

Had alot of fun dying but in the end me and a friend ended up with a hunter and ifrit. Traversing the country side slaughtering any amount of players we came up against. Took out a tank at one stage too :P

I don't know if we got lucky or what, but i reckon we were they most wanted on the server. Anytime you pick up a large sum of money from killing someone, it displays a message in all chat 'xxx has picked up $xxxx'. Our names popped up a good few times :P

Got a few nice 'Rahim' shots off too. :D

Knowing they were screaming Russians made it that much more delectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've been trying to play MP for the last few days and keeps saying I have the wrong version. I have it up to date on Steam (ver 1.9) and all the servers seem to be on 1.6. Any ideas what the deal is there?

I've been trying to play MP for the last few days and keeps saying I have the wrong version. I have it up to date on Steam (ver 1.9) and all the servers seem to be on 1.6. Any ideas what the deal is there?

Have you opted into the Dev branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It seems like I have, though I no memory of doing so. i don't think that I had originally. Is there a way to get back to the non-Dev version?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It seems like I have, though I no memory of doing so. i don't think that I had originally. Is there a way to get back to the non-Dev version?

Uncheck the Beta option (right click on in steam and its in options) will download the 1.6 exe then.

• Advertisement

You probably opted in for the Zeus beta, we all did :D

Advertisement