Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People who say The Simpsons is the very same as ever and its critics are just getting older/their tastes have changed... CLEARLY do not watch it. Best not to mouth off about something you know nothing about.

And as for the person who said to one person "You only say you dislike it because others do :rolleyes:"... rolleyes back at you - retarded thing to say.

There is the occasional good episode from 1998 to about 2003 (sorry, I haven't a clue of the seasons) but after that, tragic. For me, while there were hairline cracks from about 1997 on, the first big fracture was the episode with Basinger and Baldwin.

I actually like the one where Bart shoots the bird, and the Tamzarian one - not as good as the classics though of course. I really like the one where the kids get trapped in the school because of snow, the one where Marge and Homer are framed for murdering an old lady, and the one where Homer becomes sanitation commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The Simpsons was the best show on tv. Ever.
    And then it just died and turned into this horrible looking shadow of its former self. It tries too hard now and tries to deal with current issues instead of just simple fantastic story lines.
    I used to look forward to sitting down with my da every single Sunday at 6pm and turning on sky1. The first episode was an oldie and the 2nd was a brand new episode. And they were all genius. I haven't watched it now in years and only tune in when a classic episode is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I like the episode where they did a 24 parody.

totally agree with that it seemed like they were back on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Dudess wrote: »
    I actually like the one where Bart shoots the bird, and the Tamzarian one - not as good as the classics though of course. I really like the one where the kids get trapped in the school because of snow, the one where Marge and Homer are framed for murdering an old lady, and the one where Homer becomes sanitation commissioner.

The Tamzarian one actually has some really good lines, its just the premise is so wacky and stupid that it shows they obviously had run out of ideas at that stage.

Skinner: This is Armin's apartment, Armin's liquor, Armin's copy of Swank!
    Homer: Can I see your copy of Swank, Armin?
    Skinner: Yes you may.

Grandpa: Hello beautiful!
    Agnes Skinner: In your dreams!
    Grandpa: We'll see about that! *falls asleep*
    Grandpa: *Talks in his dream* hello beautiful

I really don't think it deserves to be as harshly criticised as it so often is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Mid-season 9 is the demarcation point for me, though I agree with Krudler that season 4 (closely followed by season 5) is pretty much perfect.

While the Armin Tamzarian episode is an obvious jump-the-shark moment and definitely accelerated the decline of the programme, I think that the Frank Grimes episode does a similar job, particularly in terms of Homer's character.
    Now I think it's a great episode, but the problem is that it highlights all of the problems with Homer's character, which you can't help but notice after seeing it, and which also seems to have influenced the writers who have focussed more on his negative side, changing him from a well-meaning, loving boob into a selfish idiot.

Another thing that bugs me apart from all of the other things already mentioned is the animation.
    Again, I'd say seasons 4 and 5 also have my favourite look to the show, with more warmth and character to the animation, which steadily got neater and cleaner, with a big leap towards even greater blandness once they became HD.
    Now, they all look like they've been cut and pasted into the episode and there's so little variety to their expressions. It looks so clean and cold and dull.
    I came across this article before that sums up the difference nicely, showing how they used to include subtle but very Looney Tunes-style "cartoony" bits to give it that particular distinctive look in the good old days.
    (Also, if you scroll down the page really quickly, you can feel like you're animating your own episode!)

http://deadhomersociety.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/animation-showcase-homer-goes-to college/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yeah, the only good thing to come from the Brazil episode was the fact that so many Brazilians complained and got upset about it's portrayal of Brazil.

Brazilians seem like a very delicate people when it comes to nationalism tbh.

They aren't really.

That episode was like if the simpsons came to Ireland and were abducted by a limerick gang or the IRA and it was supposed to be funny. And there were redsetters or deer everywhere on the streets of Dublin (instead of monkeys) to name a few comparisons.

And making jokes about favelas and suggesting they are all thieves etc.

A very bizarre episode and nothing like regular life in Brazil. So naturally they were a bit peeved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Creature wrote: »
    The Tamzarian one actually has some really good lines, its just the premise is so wacky and stupid that it shows they obviously had run out of ideas at that stage.

I really like that episode.

'Well from now on you're going to see a new Seymour Skinner

OH NO WE'RE NOT!

Yes mother'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

RichieC wrote: »
    Thanks, Doctor.

Oh I'm not a Doctor...
    Nothing like a Simpsons quote out of nowhere to make me giggle. :pac:
    krudler wrote: »
    this still makes me laugh even though I've seen it thousands of times. "fiddle-dee-dee..that will require a tetanus shot.."

its the sound of the nail piercing his foot that makes it, the shows makers had this crazy ability to come up with the most horrendous sounding effects for Homers various injuries.
    Aye, the sound is amazing and fits perfectly, it's such a "clean" penetration somehow. The whole rhythm of the scene is just perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also the song from the monorail episode was just going through my head and it reminded me of the difference between the songs back then and now. Back then they were intrinsic to the plot and well, but not too well, put together. Now they're just shiny, pointless songs with very little funniness. As with just about everything else in the show they've forgotten the difference between parodying/homage and imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mid-season 9 is the demarcation point for me, though I agree with Krudler that season 4 (closely followed by season 5) is pretty much perfect.

While the Armin Tamzarian episode is an obvious jump-the-shark moment and definitely accelerated the decline of the programme, I think that the Frank Grimes episode does a similar job, particularly in terms of Homer's character.
    Now I think it's a great episode, but the problem is that it highlights all of the problems with Homer's character, which you can't help but notice after seeing it, and which also seems to have influenced the writers who have focussed more on his negative side, changing him from a well-meaning, loving boob into a selfish idiot.

Another thing that bugs me apart from all of the other things already mentioned is the animation.
    Again, I'd say seasons 4 and 5 also have my favourite look to the show, with more warmth and character to the animation, which steadily got neater and cleaner, with a big leap towards even greater blandness once they became HD.
    Now, they all look like they've been cut and pasted into the episode and there's so little variety to their expressions. It looks so clean and cold and dull.
    I came across this article before that sums up the difference nicely, showing how they used to include subtle but very Looney Tunes-style "cartoony" bits to give it that particular distinctive look in the good old days.
    (Also, if you scroll down the page really quickly, you can feel like you're animating your own episode!)

http://deadhomersociety.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/animation-showcase-homer-goes-to college/

hey, the Grimes episode was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Homer V the city of New York from season 9 is class aswell.

Kalkalash? Kalkalash!

I still watch it sometimes but when it comes on and it's the new intro, a little part of me dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't think people hate it because it was unfunny, more because of the plot. Skinner being an imposter kind've ruined the Skinner we knew and loved for many years because all of a sudden Martin Sheen turns up and reveals he's actually Skinner. What are we supposed to do with that? Just except that Skinner is Armin and that he's living an imposters life. It didn't matter about the ending where they tried to fix things by saying no one was the mention this again, the damage was already done because it's now lodged inside everyone's brains.

After that The Simpsons writers just continued to alter their show and continuity just went downwards. Newer episodes were being made that effected past episodes that were classics. Homer's mother returning twice, the truth about when Bart and Lisa were really born and how Homer and Marge first met. There are others but I think the Armin Tanzarion one was the start of it's downfall.

This is what I think Futurama has over the Simpsons, is that it's consistent and keeps continuity alive. Those time travelling episodes or episodes that revealed hidden secrets about past episodes were great because they didn't really ruin anything, and you acually notice things when you go back and watch past episodes, like the first episode of Futurama you can actually see Nibbler's silhouette in the backround. Later on it's revealed that Nibbler knocked Fry into the Freezing machine. You don't get that with The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    hey, the Grimes episode was brilliant!

That's the thing: I love it too, but it brought all these elements of Homer's life to the fore that you had been able to ignore previously as they were never really brought up.
    I think Matt Groening himself didn't like it, as he was worried that it would put people off Homer.
    I think the idea behind the episode was to have a realistic character to contrast with Homer, and make you realise how angry any sane person would get with Homer in real life, especially if they themselves had had a tough life.
    It makes you realise that Homer has coasted through life a blithering idiot, never having to deal with any serious consequences and getting really lucky in having a good job and great house.

The problem with the episode for me is that after watching it it's hard not to take the side of ol' Grimey and see Homer in a bad way.
    And as I said before, the writers certainly seem to have changed in the way they write Homer since then, and have made him more mean-spirited, careless and selfish.

So while it is a great episode in itself, it gave us a new perspective on Homer that seems to have affected how he's been written since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

I liked it better when he animation was crappy.

I'm a huge Simpsons fan and have the first 8 series on DVD but I refuse to watch anything after that.

I seriously think the reason it's so bad just now is because there's too many idiots in the world. It's aimed at the type of people who watch reality TV shows, read celebrity gossip magazines and post comment on youtube videos.

The world is dumbing down at an alarming rate. We should all be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

J. Marston wrote: »
    Kalkalash? Kalkalash!

I still watch it sometimes but when it comes on and it's the new intro, a little part of me dies.

Crab Juice or Mountain Dew.

Homer Badman is still my favorite Simpsons episode. 'Homer S: Portrait of an Ass Grabber' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I like the one where Maggie says nothing.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    This is what I think Futurama has over the Simpsons, is that it's consistent and keeps continuity alive. Those time travelling episodes or episodes that revealed hidden secrets about past episodes were great because they didn't really ruin anything, and you acually notice things when you go back and watch past episodes, like the first episode of Futurama you can actually see Nibbler's silhouette in the backround. Later on it's revealed that Nibbler knocked Fry into the Freezing machine. You don't get that with The Simpsons.

By God, you're right...

(Four seconds in)

Never noticed that until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

That's the thing: I love it too, but it brought all these elements of Homer's life to the fore that you had been able to ignore previously as they were never really brought up.
    I think Matt Groening himself didn't like it, as he was worried that it would put people off Homer.
    I think the idea behind the episode was to have a realistic character to contrast with Homer, and make you realise how angry any sane person would get with Homer in real life, especially if they themselves had had a tough life.
    It makes you realise that Homer has coasted through life a blithering idiot, never having to deal with any serious consequences and getting really lucky in having a good job and great house.

The problem with the episode for me is that after watching it it's hard not to take the side of ol' Grimey and see Homer in a bad way.
    And as I said before, the writers certainly seem to have changed in the way they write Homer since then, and have made him more mean-spirited, careless and selfish.

So while it is a great episode in itself, it gave us a new perspective on Homer that seems to have affected how he's been written since then.

I heard somewhere, cant remember now, that after the old producer or some guy like that left the new guy made Homer intentionally mean and violent and that supposedly didn't go down to well with Groening and the other producers so he had to leave after a few years. Can't remember his name but it's usually associated with the decline in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Mid 90s No tv and no beer make homer something something..oh you better believe that's a paddlin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Although I watch all the latest episodes ... its just not the same. I guess Jerry Seinfeld was right ... 'Better to end on top'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

This discussion always depresses me, but I feel very fortunate knowing that I grew up watching season 1-8 of The Simpsons. It was at its peak, every single episode was excellent for 7-8 seasons and then it hit a brick wall. You will struggle to find a watchable episode from seasons 10-23. Absolutely the biggest fall from grace in TV history :(
    • Brilliant characters gone but never forgotten - Hank Scorpio, Frank Grimes, Herb Powell, Gabbo, etc. :'(
    • Horribly unsuited and inappropriate celebrity guest stars have replaced them - Ricky Gervais, 50 Cent, Ellen DeGeneres, Venus and Serena Williams, etc. ...who the **** wants to see these on The Simpsons??
    • Way, way too many Sideshow Bob appearances in recent years, all with horrible storylines, and Frank Grimes Jr?? WTF were they thinking?
    • "The Simpsons are going to Japan/Brazil/Africa/Italy/etc", ...nothing more irritating than hearing Lisa say this.
    • Various characters saying "Whaaaa??" ...is this meant to be funny? Top notch writing right there.

At the time I heard they were going to end the series after the movie but that proved to be false. I was hoping they'd put it out of its misery...

Does anyone even watch the new episodes? I remember every Sunday evening my parents would watch the new episodes on Sky 1 with myself and my brothers, we would never miss it but nowadays none of the kids in my family (brothers, cousins, nephews, nieces) are bothered..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wild Barts Can't Be Broken (The one with the Village of the Damned spoof in it) was the last episode I enjoyed and that one was almost 13 years ago.

Seeing the Simpsons descend into the bloated and unfunny stupidity that it used to mock so brilliantly has been quite depressing. A parody of it's old self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Now, yes, but I liked the Lisa of the classic years. Loved how she was ever-so-bright but still achingly human.

"Lisa the vegetarian" is still one of my favorites. I think that one episode has some of the best quick jokes and one-liners packed into a single episode:

"You don't win friends with sa-lad! You don't win friends with sa-lad!

"When I grow up, I'm going to bovine university!"

"Attention families. This is Mother Goose. The following cars have been broken into..."

Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
    Homer: [Chuckles] Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Plus it include what is possible the greatest PSA/government propaganda spoof ever: MEAT AND YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Ahh some classic moments, i cant find the original spin on floor clip though

I'm not the only who has done this in real life, am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Strychninism

(Some of the many) Things that make the Simpsons suck nowadays.

1. The arrival of South park. If some movie or notable event happens Trey Parker can have an ep written and on tv literally in weeks in reaction to it. The production turnaround on the Simpsons is so slow (something like 2-3 years from idea to finished episode) that whatever movie or issue they are lampooning/addressing has already left the public consciousness by the time the show in question airs.

2. They changed Homer. He used to be this lazy guy who only went to work because he cared about his family and had to pay the bills. Basically he was a man trapped in his own life with all the worries that came with it. However, starting with the Frank Grimes episode in 1997(?) Homer became this careless buffoon who didn't have to worry about any of life’s problems anymore. The irony was that for that ep it was deliberately meant to be an exaggerated almost unrealistic version of Homer. The problem was that after that ep the persona stuck and has never gone away since. Suddenly Homer always has a full wallet and never seems to even need to go to work anymore. He has no apparent interest or need for his family and as such no motivation. Basically you can't root for this guy because he's has no reason to exist and has become obvious and impervious to all life's hardships.

3. Bart/Lisa are 10 and 8 forever (and that's ok in itself) but the writers frequently try inserting them into teenage storylines one week and then have then back acting like 10 and 8 year olds again the following week. You don't know where you're suppose to stand with these characters anymore and as a result you don't care.

4. The supporting characters became main characters. When the show was at its peak The Simpsons stories were nearly always about the family (the clue is in the show title). As time passed there was more and more full episodes about guys like Moe etc. While they're grand for support or a funny line here and there it remains that I simply don't care enough to watch a full story about them for 20 mins.

5. There's no through line or structure to the stories anymore. I think it's evident even in this thread where a good few people have said (wrt to the newer eps) I liked the one where incident 'x' happened or the episode that had 'y' joke/gag in it. That's how they're remembered nowadays because it's difficult to clearly summarise what a given is episode anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Moses G. Washington

Icepick wrote: »
    The Italian Bob from season 17 feels like a pre-season 10 episode and has a lot of good jokes, probably more than the previous 7 seasons.

What?! I'd have it up there with the one were they goes to England as the worst of all Shit episodes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My favourite episode is the one where bart gets an elephant,season 5 or 6 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

The one where Homer starts smoking medicinal marijuana is excellent.

Agreed :)

Also the one where he has to get his jaws wired shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Advertisement