Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

I loved this episode and part. Agreed after Bart shot the bird the series went downhill. Wish i could find the other part where homer swears and has to put money in the swear jar. Simple but genius writing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, but however long after (couple years maybe) I found myself watching an episode where they went to Brazil for some reason. That was the end for me.

Yeah, the only good thing to come from the Brazil episode was the fact that so many Brazilians complained and got upset about it's portrayal of Brazil.

Brazilians seem like a very delicate people when it comes to nationalism tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Homer to the Max - Season 10:

"Max Power! He's the man with the name you'd love to touch. But you mustn't touch!"

The Joy of Sect - Season 9:

"Leader, na na na, na leader"

It says something that they're to only two I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sindri wrote: »
    Two words.

American Dad.

One more word.

Roger.
    I think we need a few more words tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Seeing the Homer Gets Fat episode the other day really showed the difference in class compared to the newer ones.

'Homer Simpson: Shame on all of you. Give me my dignity! I just came here to see Honk If You're Horny in peace.
    Manager: Sir, if you'd just quiet down, I'd be happy to treat you to a garbage bag full of popcorn.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

What's the one where Grandpa Simpson's kidney exploded?
    (just checked - it was season 10).
    That's where it lost me forever. Up to then, Homer was regularly an a**-hole, but an amiable one at least, and a generally fantastic character.
    Then, in an incredibly mean-spirited about turn by the writers, an old man's kidneys explode because his son is too much of a dick to stop the car so his Dad can have a wee. Hil-arious.
    Compare and contrast with one of the greatest plots I've ever seen: Homer, after eating suspect sushi, believes he has just 24 hours to live, and makes a list of things to do. ("The Good Book...on tape!")

The New Yorker did an amazing profile of the show's secret-weapon, George Meyer, back in 2000. Tis well worth reading:
    http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/meyer00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

I think you're missing the brilliance of classic-era Marge. She had many neat, subtle lines in the classic years. :)

No I liked classic era Marge, I agree she had a subtle role and as I said I think she tied things together. After the dip tho I can usually tell if its a new episode within seconds because Marge comes in and tells us exactly whats happening in case we're not paying attention.

The one thing I will say tho is that the original writers often made predictions about what would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You know th simpsons didnt get worse, you just got older ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I think the Episode where Homer smokes weed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_at_Burnsie's is really good.

Favourite Part: When Homer takes his first toke in his bedroom. The second everyone notices smoke billowing down the stairs, Homer starts screaming the guitar riff to "Smoke on the Water"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

phasers wrote: »
    I think we need a few more words tbh

And this is a pretty ****ty compilation of him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Nonsense! The new Simpsons episodes are great. I've been watching them on 1channel.ch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Definitley the last great episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'oh-in_in_the_Wind

"uh Homer, those were our PERSONAL vegetables!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Moe (other characters do it too but it's mainly Moe) going "Whaa?" really drives me nuts. How is that meant to be funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Moe (other characters do it too but it's mainly Moe) going "Whaa?" really drives me nuts. How is that meant to be funny?

The fiddling with collars due to nervousness got old a bloody long time ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

amacachi wrote: »
    The fiddling with collars due to nervousness got old a bloody long time ago too.
    Usually together with the perpetrator saying "oyo" or some such noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If you are being serious, my reply is that the old Simpsons are still just as hilarious to watch now.

If you are joking my reply is that you are about as funny as the new Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

everybody defending new Simpsons needs to be permabanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

krudler wrote: »
    Its not even the same show anymore tbh, it started as a lighthearted but cynical look at American family life that dealt with actual family stuff,now its just "zany" adventures. Sure the older episodes had crazy stuff in them too but the writing was so good you didnt care, Homer going to space is one of the best episodes ever, its ridiculous but its so well written that it seems plausible in the context of the show.

I prefer when the plots were simple. Bart is jealous that Milhouse gets a girlfriend, Homer stays home from church and nearly burns down the house. Lisa has a crush on a teacher. The older episodes usually had two plots running but they gelled together, now the first few minutes has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the episode. Its actually sad to think there are now more crappy episodes of The Simpsons than great ones, its definitely a tarnished legacy of what was once the smartest and funniest show on television. I have the dvd box sets of the first 8 seasons and season 4 genuinely doesnt have a poor episode, it may be the best season of a tv show ever, every single episode is a classic and it was at the height of when the Simpsons was amazing.

Season 4 is excellent. "Duffless" out of it is a classic. I think the wheels came off the wagon after season 9 and I don't really care for anything after season 9. I think it was around season 9/10 that was the last time Troy McCLure and Lionel Hutz appeared in the Simpsons after the death of Phil Hartman.

All you have to do is take a look at the Dental Plan topic you started. Pretty much every quote in that thread is from classic Simpsons and it just goes to show how popular those ones are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Moses G. Washington

Creature wrote: »
    The one where Homer starts smoking medicinal marijuana is excellent.

Ain't there a line in that about blowin' smoke in the president's "stupid monkey face"?

Ole MGW got pretty ired up 'bout that till he realised Homer was talkin' 'bout GWB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Its not even the same show anymore tbh, it started as a lighthearted but cynical look at American family life that dealt with actual family stuff,now its just "zany" adventures. Sure the older episodes had crazy stuff in them too but the writing was so good you didnt care, Homer going to space is one of the best episodes ever, its ridiculous but its so well written that it seems plausible in the context of the show.

I prefer when the plots were simple. Bart is jealous that Milhouse gets a girlfriend, Homer stays home from church and nearly burns down the house. Lisa has a crush on a teacher. The older episodes usually had two plots running but they gelled together, now the first few minutes has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the episode. Its actually sad to think there are now more crappy episodes of The Simpsons than great ones, its definitely a tarnished legacy of what was once the smartest and funniest show on television. I have the dvd box sets of the first 8 seasons and season 4 genuinely doesnt have a poor episode, it may be the best season of a tv show ever, every single episode is a classic and it was at the height of when the Simpsons was amazing.

Yeah the writing was just so good before. As you say, the plots were seamless and you never got the feeling they were forced.
    It was like a kind of magical formula that may never be recovered. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just to show how golden season 4 was, as its my favourite one, behold the episode list:
    Kamp Krusty
    A Streetcar Named Marge (marge gets a part in a play)
    Homer the Heretic (Homer stays home from church and burns down the house)
    Lisa the Beauty Queen
    Treehouse of Horror III
    Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie
    Marge Gets a Job (Marge starts working at the power plant and Mr Burns becomes infatuated)
    New Kid on the Block (Bart falls for the new girl next door)
    Mr. Plow
    Lisa's First Word
    Homer's Triple Bypass
    Marge vs. the Monorail
    Selma's Choice (Duff...Gardens...hurrraaaahh!)
    Brother from the Same Planet (Danny DeVito returns as Homers bother Herb and makes a machine that gets him rich again)
    I Love Lisa (Ralph falls for Lisa and she rejects him)
    Duffless (Homer has to give up drinking after visiting the duff brewery)
    Last Exit to Springfield (Dental Plan episode...theres a thread about it :pac: )
    So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show (Bart shakes a can of beer up and puts Homer in the hospital when it explodes)
    The Front (Bart and Lisa start writing Itchy and Scratch cartoons and use Grandpas name)
    Whacking Day
    Marge in Chains
    Krusty Gets Kancelled

I've said i already, but thats probably the greatest season of a tv show ever.

And I absolutely hate what the writers did to Homer over the years, at the beginning Bart was the main focus, then once the writers realised the comedy potential of Homer he blossomed into one of the best tv characters ever, and then they went and ruined him by turning him into an unlikeable psychopath with no regard for anyone buy himself, instead of the loveable but idiotic boob in the first few seasons. This is just an amazing moment from the show, theres more emotion in this few seconds than the last 10 seasons:

(its backwards thanks to fox being assbags when it comes to simpsons clips on youtube)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

The Simpsons died years ago. Family Guy demolished them...

Family Guy had its time but even at its best cant even hold a candle to the great Simpsons episodes, right now name the actual plot of a Family Guy episode without thinking too long about it, bet you cant, because most of the episodes are just "this is worse than the time when.." random jokes and old tv references,with no story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Family Guy had its time but even at its best cant even hold a candle to the great Simpsons episodes, right now name the actual plot of a Family Guy episode without thinking too long about it, bet you cant, because most of the episodes are just "this is worse than the time when.." random jokes and old tv references,with no story.

of course theres a story - remember when Jesus came to visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

love simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My favourite episode was the Hank Scorpio one (You Only Move Twice), but that was season 8 so I don't know if it counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

not the case as seasons 2 to er..8 I think are still up there with the best comedies ever made. Seaon one was a bit primitive but had its moments.

My favourite episode was the Hank Scorpio one (You Only Move Twice), but that was season 8 so I don't know if it counts.

Its one of the best episodes ever, damn right it counts. seasons 8 and 9 had their great episodes too, I think the Sherry Bobbins episode is when it started it descent into the debacle it is today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Thanks, Doctor.

Oh I'm not a Doctor...

Advertisement