Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

As many of you might agree, the quality of The Simpsons began to decline from about Season 8 onwards, possibly earlier. I don't go near anything from season 10 onwards. I saw a bit of the movie and couldn't fathom how anyone could find it funny.

Anyhoo, I realise there will be people to disagree with me here - I'm not trying to incite a taste-war. I've just heard that there are some very decent episodes sprinkled here and there post season 10, and would like to know what they are. Obviously this will depend on being in agreement that The Simpsons did jump the shark quite early on (relatively speaking of course - 6-8 seasons by many other shows' standards would be an entirety, rather than an 'early phase').

So, if you think The Simpsons never 'lost it' please don't bother posting... Just go watch some more Futurama. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I like the episode where they did a 24 parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Same about not touching anything past season 9 , which makes it more annoying when RTE fcuk up the show titles on my recordings , the "Yokel Chords" episode is worth it for the dark stanley animation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

'Behind the Laughter' from Season 11 is quite good - a VH1 documentary piss-take. :)

"For the Simpsons, everything was coming up roses. But those roses contained ready-to-sting bees." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I liked the one where Homer said "D'oh"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I like the one with Liam Neeson (when Bart wants to become a catholic) :pac:

"The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star" - season 16

• Advertisement

I like the one with Liam Neeson (the one Bart wants to become a catholic) :pac:

"The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star" - season 16

"You're just like your mother...can't take a punch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

theres also an episode where the creator of ren and stimpy animates a couch gag which is pretty good (someone tell me how to embed videos and ill put it up )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did they change writers or something around 97?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the last new episode I watched was the one after the movie when it went HD, havent seen it since. I still watch seasons 1-9 though, tv genius.

"You're just like your mother...can't take a punch!"

that was Family Guy :pac:

• Advertisement

The writers were always changing pretty much season to season.

Believe it or not some of the best episodes were written by Conan O Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The one where Homer starts smoking medicinal marijuana is excellent.

... and come to think about it, I really like the one Ricky Gervais wrote :o:)
    The wife-swap episode, season 17 :)

... and come to think about it, I really like the one Ricky Gervais wrote :o:)
    The wife-swap episode, season 17 :)

That was pretty much the death knell for the Simpsons for me tbh.

Yes, I think so actually.

Without wanting to sound elitist, the new breed of writers are not of the same calibre as the writing staff of the classic years. Read up on some the original writers - there are actual geniuses among their number. Then read up on the new writing staff...

Without wanting to sound elitist, the new breed of writers are not of the same calibre as the writing staff of the classic years. Read up on some the original writers - there are actual geniuses among their number. Then read up on the new writing staff...

The biggest issue with the newer episodes for me is it's basically like reading any internet forum...lots of Net based jokes. I used to love the Simpsons because the episodes featured a range of jokes and humour from the obvious to the insanely subtle...now it's just kind of blunt force comedy and the first 5 minutes of each episode feel like an awkward set up for whatever situation will be unfolding for the last 15.

That was pretty much the death knell for the Simpsons for me tbh.

I know. No one I know really cares for that episode... well, apart from me, but that's because I love Marge in it :o:)

The writers were always changing pretty much season to season.

Believe it or not some of the best episodes were written by Conan O Brien.

There was a core of writers in the classic years, a stable if you will. They did chop and change for each episode but were taken from the same pool.

Guess they decided to jump ship when they felt the ideas weren't coming as easily or something, as all good writers would do. But the Simpsons was a great money-spinner so I suppose Fox then bussed in these inferior writers. The saddest think is, Matt Groening insists it's as good as ever. Depressing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah the early to mid 90's episodes were brilliant,they use to take the piss out films and such

Brilliant :D

There was a core of writers in the classic years, a stable if you will. They did chop and change for each episode but were taken from the same pool.

Guess they decided to jump ship when they felt the ideas weren't coming as easily or something, as all good writers would do. But the Simpsons was a great money-spinner so I suppose Fox then bussed in these inferior writers. The saddest think is, Matt Groening insists it's as good as ever. Depressing.

I believe one of the big rifts happened when Futurama started, a lot of those old classic writers wanted to work on something new and jumped over to that show. And it's pretty clear that they upped their game on Futurama as all those crazy tiny tie in details that unfolded in the first Futurama movie were amazing...then you go back to the episodes and spot the tiny details and realise they had it planned all along.

Amazing writing for a cartoon.

• Advertisement

I believe one of the big rifts happened when Futurama started, a lot of those old classic writers wanted to work on something new and jumped over to that show. And it's pretty clear that they upped their game on Futurama as all those crazy tiny tie in details that unfolded in the first Futurama movie were amazing...then you go back to the episodes and spot the tiny details and realise they had it planned all along.

Amazing writing for a cartoon.

I've actually never really warmed to Futurama. :o Well, apart from Bender.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Yeah I certainly agree that the standard continually dropped to an almost unwatchable level after about s10, what really frustrates me is that they kept on ploughing on regardless, to the point now where the crap episodes have now diluted the quality ones to such an extent that the show's legacy is badly damaged. Chances are if one comes on the telly today, it won't be good.

Anyway to answer the question, the only later episodes I tended to enjoy were the halloween specials as their more mad-cap and freewheeling story lines suited the inconsistent characters that had become a parody of themselves, much the same way as futurama works without actually being particularly funny

strawdog wrote: »

Anyway to answer the question, the only later episodes I tended to enjoy were the halloween specials as their more mad-cap and freewheeling story lines suited the inconsistent characters that had become a parody of themselves, much the same way as futurama works without actually being particularly funny

I love the classic Hallowe'en episodes, they're probably my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There was one - not sure which series - that guest starred 'The Who'. That was good. Also another episode where Bart was put on a Ritalin type drug which was pretty sharp.

Its not even the same show anymore tbh, it started as a lighthearted but cynical look at American family life that dealt with actual family stuff,now its just "zany" adventures. Sure the older episodes had crazy stuff in them too but the writing was so good you didnt care, Homer going to space is one of the best episodes ever, its ridiculous but its so well written that it seems plausible in the context of the show.

I prefer when the plots were simple. Bart is jealous that Milhouse gets a girlfriend, Homer stays home from church and nearly burns down the house. Lisa has a crush on a teacher. The older episodes usually had two plots running but they gelled together, now the first few minutes has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the episode. Its actually sad to think there are now more crappy episodes of The Simpsons than great ones, its definitely a tarnished legacy of what was once the smartest and funniest show on television. I have the dvd box sets of the first 8 seasons and season 4 genuinely doesnt have a poor episode, it may be the best season of a tv show ever, every single episode is a classic and it was at the height of when the Simpsons was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The episode when the Vegas wives return is my all time favourite. Do you want to give honest abe another term in the oval office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I like The Mansion Family from Season 11. The scenes with Mr. Burns in the clinic are great.

"Now that I'm the town's oldest man, I'm starting to realise that I'm not a young man anymore."

"Cause of parents' death: Got in my way..."

Doctor: Mr. Burns, I'm afraid you are the sickest man in the United States. You have everything.
    Mr. Burns: You mean I have pneumonia?
    Doctor: Yes.
    Mr. Burns: Juvenile diabetes?
    Doctor: Yes.
    Mr. Burns: Hysterical pregnancy?!
    Doctor: Uh, a little bit, yes. You also have thousands of diseases that have just been discovered, in you.
    Mr. Burns: You're sure you haven't just made thousands of mistakes?

The Computer Wore Menace Shoes from Season 12 is also one that I like, if you ignore the bizarre ending.

Number 2: "Why did you think a big balloon would stop people?"
    Assistant: "SHUT UP. That's why."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

In fairness the first few Futurama seasons were pretty good, Zapf Brannigan being a legend, but they're just ****e now, but still not as bad as the muck the Simpsons is coming out with.

Like I'm not far from self immolation whenever I see one of the newer episodes, like the really recent ones are just devoid of humour or any discernible plot of interest. I always felt they started to market it towards families and it's become worse since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

no. Some people insist that season 22 and 23 were good, but those people are liars. Lisa Simpson is the most annoying tv character ever made, and the pathetic untalented writers employed to write the show keep focusing on her because she's easy to write for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

"Midnight RX". It's the one where Homer, Abraham and Apu got to Canada to get perscription medicine.

Flanders also went and he met a Canadian Ned Flanders.

Advertisement