Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons - decent episodes from season 10 to 23?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    theres also an episode where the creator of ren and stimpy animates a couch gag which is pretty good (someone tell me how to embed videos and ill put it up )

Skip to 0:50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

To settle this OP they're all shit bar 1 or 2 episodes after season 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The one where Bart befriended Nelson had its moments. It's not hilarious or anything but it has a coherent story and is a hell of a lot better than most episodes that have been made in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I loved the old way they would parody famous people, like Drederick Tatum instead of mike tyson and rainier wolfcastle for Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mayor Quimby for JFK and who could forget Michael Jackson as the mental patient who believed he was Michael Jackson. This was a truely genius way of taking off famous faces. Nowadays they just bang in an animated version of the real people, it just seems such a lazy and unsuccessful attempt at what made the simpsons great in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Is there even a decent episode made after season 9? I don't think so.

The only one I can think of that was reasonable was the episode where they done "behind the laughter", a sort of behind the scenes písstake - other than that all the episodes were rubbish imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I always thought the Movie was the biggest mistake they made...the thing to do with that would have been to bring back Hank Scorpio, the greatest one episode character in television history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

phasers wrote: »
    Lisa Simpson is the most annoying tv character ever made, and the pathetic untalented writers employed to write the show keep focusing on her because she's easy to write for.

Now, yes, but I liked the Lisa of the classic years. Loved how she was ever-so-bright but still achingly human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

They had Emily Blunt guest starring recently as a friend of Lisa who lives in a fantasy world called 'Equalia'. I think it was supposed to be a take-off of Heavenly Creatures. It was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I always thought the Movie was the biggest mistake they made...the thing to do with that would have been to bring back Hank Scorpio, the greatest one episode character in television history.

I second this. He is one of my favorite Simpsons characters ever and he was only in one episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

used 2 be unreal, now its just a joke. the humour is so obvious and its just a **** version of family guy. didnt really like the hank scorpio episode that much

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

phasers wrote: »
    no. Some people insist that season 22 and 23 were good, but those people are liars. Lisa Simpson is the most annoying tv character ever made, and the pathetic untalented writers employed to write the show keep focusing on her because she's easy to write for.

And something happened with Marge as well, she used to be a fairly inoffensive and passive character who still often tied things together but she turned in to an annoying kind of narrator who explains out every joke and plot line as it happens. This is what happens with writers without the skill to 'show don't tell'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The gay marriage one had its moments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Old Simpsons was genius and I love watching it the rares times its on. New Simpsons makes me feel like Chief Wiggum wanting to shoot the tv, its that annoying and offensive. The colour style is hideous too, everything is way oversaturated, its like someone puked primary colours all over the screen. I wish the tv stations would show more old episodes than the new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Always depressed me talking about this, such a waste.

strawdog wrote: »
    And something happened with Marge as well, she used to be a fairly inoffensive and passive character who still often tied things together

I think you're missing the brilliance of classic-era Marge. She had many neat, subtle lines in the classic years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it's coming good again, the latest episodes from the states are pretty decent but it's going to be hard to impossible for them to get back to the early days success it's just been done and there's only so many times you can watch the same joke over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Bart sitting in the courtroom for Quimbey's nephews trial.

Bart looks over at Skinner sitting in the jury box staring back at him

Skinner (what Bart imagines he's thinking): "I know you can read my thoughts, Bart. Just a little reminder......... If I find out you cut class, your ass is mine. Yes, you heard me. I think words I would never say."

Bart looks over at Homer who is also in the jury box and imagines what he's thinking..

Homer: "I know you can read myyy thoughts, Boy... Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow."

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Did they change writers or something around 97?

Its decline began with the 'Who Shot Mr Burns' episode and continued downhill until Brad Bird left (1998) when it simply bacame unwatchable

Homer: "I know you can read myyy thoughts, Boy... Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow."

Class.

One of the classic-era gags I never got. :o

• Advertisement

Phil Hartman dying (Troy McClure) didn't do the show any favours either I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

For me the Simpsons finally jumped the shark when Bart shot the bird with Nelson's BB gun. I had been thinking it was losing it's way for a while beforehand and with that episode I gave up. I absolutely loved the Simpsons and it didn't even hurt in the tiniest bit to give it up, that's how hard they fell from grace.

I've seen episodes intermittently since, reluctantly or in the background or other peoples houses. God they suck and there is no redeeming them. I'm familiar with many of the latter episodes mentioned here and I have to say THEY ARE ALL SH!T!!

I battled friends for years who still tried to say the Simpsons were still excellent. Eventually people came round to my way of thinking with that show.

The new writers are to blame and then the animation looks lame, too bright. The voices started to suffer (Homer especially) and the stories too contrived to set up what would have been a simple storyline beforehand in the hands of talented writers. The new staff wanted to emulate Family Guy it seemed and the jokes became more and more American and more and more about what's current in pop culture. Pop culture dates and those jokes don't last (take note Shrek.

Old Simpsons comedy will last for generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Mayored to the Mob from Season 10 was a highlight.

For me there are two eras of the Simpsons.

Pre-Armin Tamzarian.
    Post-Armin Tamzarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bart sitting in the courtroom for Quimbey's nephews trial.

Bart looks over at Skinner sitting in the jury box staring back at him..

Skinner (what Bart imagines he's thinking): "I know you can read my thoughts, Bart. Just a little reminder......... If I found out you cut class, your ass is mine. Yes, you heard me. I think words I would never say."

Bart looks over at Homer who is also in the jury box and imagines what he's thinking..

Class.

I've always found it this weird..... The part in bold means that Homer can read Skinners' thoughts also!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Priori wrote: »
    As many of you might agree, the quality of The Simpsons began to decline from about Season 8 onwards, possibly earlier. I don't go near anything from season 10 onwards. I saw a bit of the movie and couldn't fathom how anyone could find it funny.

Just so we're clear, season 8 was amazing. Season 9 had some classic episodes but also some really awful ones. I didn't watch anything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Mayored to the Mob from Season 10 was a highlight.

For me there are two eras of the Simpsons.

Pre-Armin Tamzarian.
    Post-Armin Tamzarian.

'Armin Tamzarian's reign of terror is over'

Personally, I first started to get the sense that they were losing their way with the Oz episode, despite the episode itself being quality.

Couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, but however long after (couple years maybe) I found myself watching an episode where they went to Brazil for some reason. That was the end for me.

Also, too many Lisa episodes. Christ I can't stand Lisa. The moral highground taking, condescending little veggie twit.

Too many timewasting, unfunny original cast recordings that seemed to eventually pop up in every goddamn episode just like Seth Mac Farlanes irritating insistence on having poxy showband tunes in pretty much every episode of Family Guy. Twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I liked the one where they do a story told by Bart, Lisa and Homer's perspective. I thought it was pretty smartly done as they all wind together perfectly. Homer loses a thumb, Lisa creates a robot for the science fair and Bart becomes an informant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

foxyboxer called it, Armin Tamzarian was the beginning of the end of the Simpsons. It was a ridiculous story to begin with, and the deux ex machina at the end was obviously supposed to be funny but it was just embarrassing to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Two words.

American Dad.

One more word.

Roger.

Advertisement