Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

correct. Short cable connection. (cat6)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

garroff wrote: »
    correct. Short cable connection. (cat6)

You running your OS off an SSD? Just wondering if it tries to write to disk when downloading or should it stay in ram?
    I wonder if you need to tweak the network card in your machine too?

It would be interesting to mess about to see if you get varied results. Try different speed sites etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

garroff wrote: »
    Using Eirs own site for test

I'm not denying that you may have an issue garroff but perhaps you could try http://speedtest.upc.ie/ For whatever reason I always get top speed from there. Here is a test just done on Firefox 58. Also you will never see more than ~290Mb as that is they way they have provisioned it.

439891.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

My parents are currently with Virgin for 120mb BB and Phone. Decided to check what their paying and currently looks like Eir would be about €20 cheaper per month plus also give them access to BT sports.
    According to the rollout map their cabinet is live and all areas green near them. When I check their landline number it states nothing available. When i rang and they checked by address the best available would be 6mb.
    Would it be possible that their line hasn't been tested properly and they'd be able to get much better speeds? I've ordered it and have the 14 day colling off period to fall back on. The Digiweb line checker site seems to be long down, any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

is there any where to get additional info on cabinets that are "Planned" they have even removed the cabinet name on them. have tried to email the address on fibre roll out with no response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

stesaurus wrote: »
    My parents are currently with Virgin for 120mb BB and Phone. Decided to check what their paying and currently looks like Eir would be about €20 cheaper per month plus also give them access to BT sports.
    According to the rollout map their cabinet is live and all areas green near them. When I check their landline number it states nothing available. When i rang and they checked by address the best available would be 6mb.
    Would it be possible that their line hasn't been tested properly and they'd be able to get much better speeds? I've ordered it and have the 14 day colling off period to fall back on. The Digiweb line checker site seems to be long down, any alternatives?

It may not be "their" cabinet, just because its close doesnt mean their cable is through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

ED E wrote: »
    It may not be "their" cabinet, just because its close doesnt mean their cable is through it.

Every cabinet listed on the map shows enabled. Any way of checking it for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Another potentially stupid question from me..

*How much work is required to get me connected from the shiny new rural fibre line? Currently my phone line comes in underneath my front garden. Will they be able to pass the new line through the same route or does getting fibre installed mean digging up the whole place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

DrPhilG wrote: »
    *How much work is required to get me connected from the shiny new rural fibre line? Currently my phone line comes in underneath my front garden. Will they be able to pass the new line through the same route or does getting fibre installed mean digging up the whole place?

Yes, if the duct is big enough and not blocked - https://www.eir.ie/support/just-joined/fibre-to-the-home-underground-ducting/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Living in Malahide and fastest I ever get down is 3 megabytes per second
    Should I be expecting more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

According to this, Eir are pulling out of the National Broadband Plan

https://www.thejournal.ie/national-broadband-plan-eir-2-3826613-Jan2018/

Does this mean if your in a rural area and haven't already gotten your broadband upgraded, your effectively screwed ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

J0hnick wrote: »

Does this mean if your in a rural area and haven't already gotten your broadband upgraded, your effectively screwed ?.

Not yet ...... Enet still have their bid in for the contract, so it looks like they will be the ones to do the NBP.

J0hnick wrote: »

You're kidding...

I'm due to get fibre first half of this year.

:(

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You're kidding...

I'm due to get fibre first half of this year.

:(

If you're already scheduled thats outside the NBP, in theory this changes nothing for you.

If you're already scheduled thats outside the NBP, in theory this changes nothing for you.

Phew.

Yeah the map shows a yellow fibre line running to outside my house.

And the list says 1st quarter of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

on that map its say I am on the light bluw,does that mean I will still be able to get the boradband later this year if everything goes to plan.
    This has nothing to do with the NBP?

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

on that map its say I am on the light bluw,does that mean I will still be able to get the boradband later this year if everything goes to plan.
    This has nothing to do with the NBP?

You are part of the 300000 homes that eir has committed to cover by the end of 2018. They have reiterated their intention to finish this project in recent days although some, including myself, believe that the project may overrun into 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Hi guys,

The area where I'm living is due to get fibre in the first half of 2018 according to fibrerollout.

The exchange in question is already fibre enabled with the houses around it already with fibre bb and are green on the map.

My village is 5km out of town with blue icons. Will OpenEir/KN put the fiber underground the 5km stretch of road, or will they use the existing telephone poles to get the fibre to us?

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The area where I'm living is due to get fibre in the first half of 2018 according to fibrerollout.

The exchange in question is already fibre enabled with the houses around it already with fibre bb and are green on the map.

My village is 5km out of town with blue icons. Will OpenEir/KN put the fiber underground the 5km stretch of road, or will they use the existing telephone poles to get the fibre to us?

If the existing main bundle runs on poles, so will the fibre.

If the existing main bundle runs on poles, so will the fibre.

Makes sense. What about the cabinets then, surely they must add a some along the way.

• Advertisement

Makes sense. What about the cabinets then, surely they must add a some along the way.

There are no cabinets. Is is a fibre to the home system so a fibre cable is brought from the exchange and fed into your home from distribution points mounted on the poles. There is a whole thread about it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

anyone know when the fibrerollout.ie map gets updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

what's the story with this map? hasn't been updated in a while now

what's the story with this map? hasn't been updated in a while now

It has been monthly for the most recent updates so hopefully an update sometime this week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the update was probably delayed, most people could not get to work since Wednesday till today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Looks like the map has updated

Doesn't look like it from my end. Fibrerollout still Last update 22nd Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Nope. Still has the data from January. Bit bad, as the provider updates are weekly.

/M

Doesn't look like it from my end. Fibrerollout still Last update 22nd Jan.

Robxxx7 is correct. The underlying data was updated yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Just wondering if anyone who follow this thread closely have any updates about the Macroom area. I have switched from Sky to Vodafone to Eir the past 5 years now and get between 12-15mbps. I go to the local library and it has 45mbps. I hope there will be massive upgrades this year to get close to a number like that.

Advertisement