Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just started Conn Igguldens Conqueror series. 1st book is Wolf of the Plains. Have heard good things about this series and so far so good. Can't get enough of historical fiction these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

Read the short book Bridge To The Stars by Henning Mankel earlier this week - thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Last night, I began Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to read 'the bone clocks' by David Mitchell.
    Only reason I've not given up is that I paid €14ish for it.
    what will I do will i give up or not ? :)

I am (or was) a big David Mitchell fan, and am stunned by how bad this is. It's like something he would have written at 15 before he learned how to write novels. Simplistic, nonsensical, derivative, cringeworthy, an embarrassment.

I am on the final section, and am struggling to finish it. I will do it, as I hate to not finish books, but it is hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote Cloud Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished Gone Girl - ok but not worthy of all the hype it received.

Nora Webster by Colm Toibin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dibble wrote: »

Burn it!

Finished 'Under The Skin' which was pretty bloody great. Now reading 'The Universe Versus Alex Woods', been reading too much heavy stuff recently, this seems an easy read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

fisgon wrote: »
    I am (or was) a big David Mitchell fan, and am stunned by how bad this is. It's like something he would have written at 15 before he learned how to write novels. Simplistic, nonsensical, derivative, cringeworthy, an embarrassment.

I am on the final section, and am struggling to finish it. I will do it, as I hate to not finish books, but it is hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote Cloud Atlas.

Oh no I was looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ivytwine wrote: »
    Oh no I was looking forward to it!

I thought it was alright, almost Young Adult in parts and a bit mental, but give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

I don't understand how people can re read mystery books. Does it not kill the whole thing when you already know who did it?

Although... I suppose re reading any book you already know what's going to happen so.... yeah. Never mind.

I hear where your coming from. The last time I read the book was 4 years ago so that was enough of a gap for me that is was enjoyable to read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Daniel Gahan's Rebellion. A concise account of the 1798 United Irishman rebellion.

• Advertisement

Cruising through Nora Webster - absolutely beautiful writing, I think it will be an allnighter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Harry Potter series... again...

My boyfriend started humming the theme tune randomly one day last week, so I had to go watch the movies and during the movies (especially listening to the theme tune), I got a terrible achy longing feeling in my stomach for the books so started again. It's incredible when a book (or several) can do that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Awh, now I want to read Harry Potter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

SarahBM wrote: »
    Awh, now I want to read Harry Potter. :(

Is it bad that this actually causes me physical pain in my gut when I listen to it? Much like missing a loved one terribly...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dibble wrote: »

How was it?

Most likely going to read it next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Currently half way through Antonio Tabucchi's Pereira Maintains and loving it.

Set in Lisbon in the 1930s pre WW11, during the Spanish civil war. Dr Pereira, the editor of the culture pages in a second rate local newspaper, is totally apolitical but unwittingly gets involved with a pair of young revolutionaries.

It's written in a very easy narrative style and just sucks you in. Sort of reminiscent of the style of writing in Stoner by John Williams.

sup_dude wrote: »

Is it bad that this actually causes me physical pain in my gut when I listen to it? Much like missing a loved one terribly...

I reread them earlier this year and when I finished the last one I wanted to start them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Slightly off topic but I reached my Goodreads Challenge goal today. I set my target at 52 book for 2014 and hit that today when I finished Pereira Maintains thanks to the horrible weather.

Anybody else have a target on Goodreads Challenge?

Starting Wilkie Collins The Moonstone next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I reached my Goodreads Challenge goal today. I set my target at 52 book for 2014 and hit that today when I finished Pereira Maintains thanks to the horrible weather.

I set my challenge at 50 last year and didn't get anywhere near it. Set it at 30 this year and am on target so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm reading Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius.

The story of a German tank ace's experiences during WWII told in his own words, just translated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I don't really like setting myself reading challenges because I tried it a few years ago and felt under pressure to finish books quickly. I wasn't enjoying reading as much as I would without the target! :o I do still keep a log of what I read and I probably average 30 books a year.

I've been reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves for a while now. Well actually I'm avoiding reading it as I haven't picked it up in over a week. I thought it would be an easy read but I've been finding it unexpectedly depressing (considering I knew what I was getting in to).

I might start something else and go back to it later. I do like to read a good horror around halloween. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Finished Don DeLillo's Underworld. It was very well written in parts but after 800+ pages I still couldn't tell you what the book was about.

Read The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh, a very dark comedy and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Just getting into Paul Auster's New York Trilogy and hope to finish it over the weekend.

I set myself a challege of 20 books last year and I passed it so this year I set 30. That was being optimistic because Im doing a masters and I should be spending my spare time on that. But Im on 28 at the moment so hoping to reach it at Christmas.

Im about 1/4 the way through Middlesex. Not really getting into it to be honest. I am not quiet sure how some people could say its the best novel ever written. Perhaps I just do really like sad depressing drawn out books. :rolleyes:
    I actually cant wait to finish it and start A Monster Calls.

I set my challenge at 50 last year and didn't get anywhere near it. Set it at 30 this year and am on target so far :)

I set it to 30 and I definitely am ahead of schedule :)

Finished Nora Webster - superb study of loss and bereavement so beautifully written.

Next is A History of Loneliness by John Boyne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished Jekyll and Hyde. I enjoyed it.
    Now moving on to The Shining. I saw the film about 10 years ago and I remember a few parts here and there.
    I don't think I've read anything by King before so I'm looking forward to seeing what this is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Finished Jekyll and Hyde. I enjoyed it.
    Now moving on to The Shining. I saw the film about 10 years ago and I remember a few parts here and there.
    I don't think I've read anything by King before so I'm looking forward to seeing what this is like.
    The Shining is one of my favourite King books. :)

I put off reading it for a while as I was quite familiar with the film so I thought that would hamper my enjoyment of it. But there were a number of differences between the book and film which was good as it surprised me at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Finished John Cleese's autobiography- bit of a let down. He ends it right where Monty Python begins and I hope a sequel is in the works. Not as many laughs as you would expect either.

Starting 'Pride & Prejudice' tonight, looking forward to it :)

Jijsaw wrote: »

Starting 'Pride & Prejudice' tonight, looking forward to it :)

Oh enjoy! wish I could go back and read it for the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Gave up on We Are Not Ourselves. Started good but then I got bored. Now I'm enjoying A Quiet Belief In Angels, RJ Ellory. Enjoying it so far, I like his writing style.

Advertisement