Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Ipso wrote: »
    I have yet to read her latest, but I enjoyed all ger books. Alan Glynn is also wirth checking out.

I have read her second book The Likeness as well and thought it was good. Thanks for the heads up on Alan Glynn. I will have to check him out. A back at you to check out is Declan Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Booker prize announcement out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. Consummate style, compelling, historically crucial. Up there with the best I've read. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

Re-reading Filth, by Irvine Welsh. Very very funny. Written in a Scottish accent (think Billy Connolly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Booker prize announcement out this evening.

Has anyone read the winner? I feel I should read more Aussie books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

ivytwine wrote: »
    Has anyone read the winner? I feel I should read more Aussie books.

No, but I intend to.

I'm in the middle of one of the short listed books, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and can't recommend it enough, highly entertaining and wonderfully written.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I had been reading A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy but I gave up after about 80 pages. So dull, didn't care about anyone at all.
    Granted it's one of his earlier books but I couldn't believe how much I didn't like it considering how much I love Far From The Madding Crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to read 'the bone clocks' by David Mitchell.
    Only reason I've not given up is that I paid €14ish for it.
    what will I do will i give up or not ? :)

Stick with it, it's worth it although it goes a bit mad for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

At last I finished A Place of Greater Safety last night .... tough going but I got there, I'm no quitter :)

On the train this morning I started Gone Girl - I've seen the movie trailer & it looked interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished A Prisoner of Birth this morning. Loved it. It was just a really good story. Archer is so readable and that was just what I needed.

Moving on to Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I've seen a few posters recommend it here. Hope it's good.

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    Finished A Prisoner of Birth this morning. Loved it. It was just a really good story. Archer is so readable and that was just what I needed.

Moving on to Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I've seen a few posters recommend it here. Hope it's good.

'Middlesex' is great, you should also check out 'The Marriage Plot', my personal favourite of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Just finished 'Elizabeth is missing' by Emma Healey. Really enjoyed it, already loaned my copy out. Starting 'The Erl-King' by Michael Tourney now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading East of Eden by Steinbeck at the moment. Like it quite a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Tess of the d'Urbervilles, enjoying it but the long descriptions get quite tedious after a bit.

Didn't like East of Eden or Tess.

I started Middlesex last night. I dont know if Im going to like it. But I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

SarahBM wrote: »
    Didn't like East of Eden or Tess.

I started Middlesex last night. I dont know if Im going to like it. But I'll stick with it.

It seems like you have a problem with good books:pac: (couldn't resist it), you'll probably hate Middlesex, it is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for that Swiper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm about half-way through Gone Girl. It's not a book I'd normally pick up, it only caught my eye after seeing it mentioned on here so many times.

I think it's finally picking up a bit of pace now and I'm starting to enjoy it. I was expecting the book to grab me when I started because the hype should mean it's good and it almost owed it to me to entertain me.
    It was at the back of my mind that Amy faked the crime scene and left herself but I mostly dismissed it mainly because of her supposed aversion to blood and also the cops saying anyone losing that much blood couldn't walk away or something to that effect.
    My main suspect was her father in law considering he seemed to think she was someone else, an old girlfriend of his or something and he was able to wander from the care home pretty frequently.
    I'm also glad that "Diary Amy" turned out to be fake because I found her very annoying. It was getting to her parts in the book that slowed it down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thoran

I read Lolita over the summer, and was also surprised with how entertaining it was. Whenever anyone asked, I recommended it as "the best book about pedophilia I've ever read". I think Nabokov would have appreciated that statement; he somehow found a way to sugarcoat the idea of pedophilia. If you keep reading, I promise you'll get too engrossed to worry about the weird subject matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Almost finished "The Long Road to the Deep North" by Richard Flanagan. I picked it up on a whim after seeing it had won the Man Booker award. Absolutely harrowing. It took a little while to get into the flow of the book, but the mid section, mainly about 'the line' is fantastic, but unnerving and relentless. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

thoran wrote: »
    I read Lolita over the summer, and was also surprised with how entertaining it was. Whenever anyone asked, I recommended it as "the best book about pedophilia I've ever read". I think Nabokov would have appreciated that statement; he somehow found a way to sugarcoat the idea of pedophilia. If you keep reading, I promise you'll get too engrossed to worry about the weird subject matter.

I think you possibly missed the entire point of the book, which was that Humbert specifically wasn't attracted to children - and that Nabokov certainly wasn't trying to sugarcoat the inappropriateness of the relationship.

Paedophiles by definition are only sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children and as such, would have no interest in a girl of Lolita's age. The book explores (and, imo, exposes) Humbert's attempts to justify his relationship with Lolita based on that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Finished Invisible Man, powerful, beautifully written, but disappointingly misogynistic.

Started Fernando Pessoa's Book of Disquiet. Twenty pages in, I believe it will be in contention for favourite book eva eva.

'Under The Skin' by Michael Faber.

The book came to my attention through one of the most interesting films of the year, based on the book.

1st chapter down, enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Just started We Are Not Ourselves, Matthew Thomas. Found it on Kobo so I've no idea what it's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I really enjoyed Neverwhere, so I'm adding a few more Gaiman books to my 'Books To Buy' list.

Just after starting ' The Strange Case of Jekyll and Hyde'

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Just finished JK's (i.e Robert Galbraith) The Silkworm, and John Boyne's A History of Loneliness.

Would recommend the latter- still looking for someone to talk to about it!

Currently reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan, with Tiger Tiger next in line..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Having read and really enjoyed Tom Rob Smith's Child 44, set in Russia around the end of the Stalinist era, I am now starting the second book in the series The Secret Speech. Hope it lives up to expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Almost finished "The Long Road to the Deep North" by Richard Flanagan. I picked it up on a whim after seeing it had won the Man Booker award. Absolutely harrowing. It took a little while to get into the flow of the book, but the mid section, mainly about 'the line' is fantastic, but unnerving and relentless. Highly recommended.

I have this on order, should be arriving soon, can't wait to get stuck into it. I've read The Railway Man, which has a similar theme, a great read on a harrowing subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Tana French's The Likeness which I really enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Tana French's The Likeness which I really enjoyed.

I don't understand how people can re read mystery books. Does it not kill the whole thing when you already know who did it?

Although... I suppose re reading any book you already know what's going to happen so.... yeah. Never mind.

Advertisement