Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finished Breakfast on Pluto. I was a bit disappointed with it in the end. It started off well but it's a bit all over the place towards the end. I suppose maybe that's the point, as Pussy's mental state declines so does the narrative but it was a bit hard to follow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished Anyush by Martine Madden .... superb and haunting.

Now it's the massive A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel .. almost 900 pages should keep me occupied over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Finished Bring Up The Bodies yesterday. I felt quite sad at the end, and I'm not sure if it's because of what happened or because the book is over. Don't know what to do with myself now. Got Fall of Giants by Ken Follett on a Kindle deal weeks ago and haven't read it yet so might give that a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of the short stories book A New Book of Dubliners which was pretty good. It had 15 short stories in total and I liked 12 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of the short stories book A New Book of Dubliners which was pretty good. It had 15 short stories in total and I liked 12 of them.

Did you re-read the three that you didn't like? That book only came out a few months ago assuming you mean Dubliners 100.

I finished the new John Boyne book the other night, I thought it was excellent, extremely interesting take on the church abuse scandal through the eyes of an inherently decent but damaged priest in the late 20th century. I'll be surprised if this isn't recognised as a modern Irish classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

I'm just after finishing Big Fat Love by Peter Sheridan & am just starting Somg For a Raggy Boy by Patrick Galvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

GinnyR wrote: »
    I'm just after finishing Big Fat Love by Peter Sheridan .

Did you enjoy that? My parents loved it but I didn't think it was that good.

Finished the Lost World. I thought it was boring.
    Picked up when A monster calls for €6 in Charlie Burns in Galway :-) gonna start that tomorrow

SarahBM wrote: »
    Did you enjoy that? My parents loved it but I didn't think it was that good.

Finished the Lost World. I thought it was boring.
    Picked up when A monster calls for €6 in Charlie Burns in Galway :-) gonna start that tomorrow

I enjoyed it, but mostly the descriptions of Dublin & the fact that I could visualise the area & journeys (as a homesick Dub).

I thought the ending was a bit of a let down though, but overall I'm a bit of a sucker for those types of books.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

SarahBM wrote: »

Do you mean A Monster Calls?

If so stock up on tissues.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Has anyone read Charmed and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn? Gonna start it tonight but I think it's about a werewolf so not sure if it's my sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Do you mean A Monster Calls?

If so stock up on tissues.

Yep, sorry A Monster Calls. My best friend has been at me for ages to read it. I started A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer instead because I need something easy and likable to read at the mo.
    I'll read A Monster Calls when I have my mini hols in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'The Bone Clocks', lost me in the last third (until the verrry end). Sometimes David Mitchell has TOO much ambition.

Onto 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 booklove72

First men to the moon by HG Wells, Game of thrones by GRR martin, My Wicked, wicked ways, by Errol Flynn and an officer and spy by robert harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Birneybau wrote: »
    Onto 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood.

Finished that yesterday and absolutely loved it. The scariest thing about it is how plausible it all is.

Re-reading Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North now. Short & sweet before I crack into all my college reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I shelved Charm and Strange for now, until I suss it out a bit more. I started Until You're Mine, Samantha Hayes instead. Good so far, though I'm not far in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I finally finished Nicholas Nickleby - it felt like I was reading it forever!

Initially, I found it difficult to get into but once I did I started enjoying it only to struggle with it towards the end as I realised that I wasn't too invested in any of the characters. I'm glad to move on to something new now.

I think I'm going to start We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. It's been shortlisted for the 2014 Man Booker Prize. It was on sale in the Kindle store a while back and after reading the synopsis, I wasn't too interested in it and subsequently found out a significant spoiler. I ended up buying it because it was cheap and now I wish I hadn't spoiled it for myself! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Finished Lanark by Alistair Gray and really enjoyed it. It's like nothing I've ever read before. Also read Country Girls by Edna O'Brien - flew through it as it's really short - easy to read but not sure what the fuss was about.

Started on The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plaith and enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I finished Oryx and Crake last week. Really enjoyed the book but found the ending very flat, which is somewhat understandable considering it is the first book in a trilogy. Will get on to The Year of the Flood over the next few weeks.

Considering the name of the poster above me, coincidentally I'm about halfway through The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I've owned it for years and regret not reading it sooner, loving it so far. I like how Steinbeck handles the dialogue and the descriptions are really vivid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Was away on holiday so zipped through a few books

Finished The Woman in White, a fantastic book, can't wait to read The Moonstone.

Had a few Richard & Judy recommendations on the Kindle so read them -

The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman, the story of an Alzheimer's patient. I downloaded that as I loved Still Alice but this wasn't a patch on Lisa Genova's book.
    Daughter by Jane Shemilt, a teenager from an affluent home who doesn't come back one night. This was quite a good read.
    Victoria Hislop's new novel The Sunrise, set during the war in Cyprus in the 1970s. It was an ok holiday read but not up to The Island.

Now reading Longbourn by Jo Baker. I don't like Jane Austen spin-off novels but this is quite readable so far.

I'm just about to start Phlomena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Was away on holiday so zipped through a few books

Finished The Woman in White, a fantastic book, can't wait to read The Moonstone.

Had a few Richard & Judy recommendations on the Kindle so read them -

The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman, the story of an Alzheimer's patient. I downloaded that as I loved Still Alice but this wasn't a patch on Lisa Genova's book.
    Daughter by Jane Shemilt, a teenager from an affluent home who doesn't come back one night. This was quite a good read.
    Victoria Hislop's new novel The Sunrise, set during the war in Cyprus in the 1970s. It was an ok holiday read but not up to The Island.

Now reading Longbourn by Jo Baker. I don't like Jane Austen spin-off novels but this is quite readable so far.

Loved the woman in white and the moonstone so atmospheric in a similar vein lady Audley's secret is also a great read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I'm just about to start Phlomena.

Snap! I don't know about the fictionalised style yet tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm currently trying to read 'the bone clocks' by David Mitchell.
    Only reason I've not given up is that I paid €14ish for it.
    what will I do will i give up or not ? :)

ivytwine wrote: »
    Snap! I don't know about the fictionalised style yet tho...

I'm not convinced by the style yet either. Feels more like a novel than an autobiographical book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Longbourn by Jo Baker and I have mixed feelings.

If this was a stand-alone novel of life in a rural gentry home it would have worked quite well. I could have enjoyed the story for what it was without reference to any other work. It's a well told story and has it's merits as a novel in it's own right.

As it stands, riding on the coattails of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice it feels like exploitation. Jo Baker has changed the characters of the Bennett family to suit her novel. The story line involving Mr Bennett is not at all in keeping with Austen.
    It appears that Baker felt the need to include all possible controversial issues
    child out of wedlock, token gay character, child molestation
    The whole back story of James Smith was just a long drawn out irrelevance that detracted from the original narrative of Longbourn.

All that said I did enjoy reading the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I'm not convinced by the style yet either. Feels more like a novel than an autobiographical book.

The last non-fiction book I read was by Frank Connolly about Tom Gilmartin and the tribunals (well worth a read if anyone is interested in that story) and that was very much factual and any personal anecdotes were well-backed up by quotes from Tom Gilmartin himself. I feel a bit weird going from that to the fictionalised stuff!

If this was a stand-alone novel of life in a rural gentry home it would have worked quite well. I could have enjoyed the story for what it was without reference to any other work. It's a well told story and has it's merits as a novel in it's own right.

As it stands, riding on the coattails of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice it feels like exploitation. Jo Baker has changed the characters of the Bennett family to suit her novel. The story line involving Mr Bennett is not at all in keeping with Austen.
    It appears that Baker felt the need to include all possible controversial issues
    The whole back story of James Smith was just a long drawn out irrelevance that detracted from the original narrative of Longbourn.

Oh no I don't know if I like the sound of it at all :/ I get why authors do that and in some cases it works very well- Wide Sargasso Sea which I did in college is absolutely fabulous. But introducing Eastenders type 'issues' into Austen... I don't think I'll be picking it up!

I enjoyed it, but like you I felt she should have left the P&P characters alone. Would have been better as a stand alone. I also agree about the James Smith bit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Tana French's debut novel In The Woods. A very impressive first offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Tana French's debut novel In The Woods. A very impressive first offering.

I have yet to read her latest, but I enjoyed all ger books. Alan Glynn is also wirth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Rereading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, obviously outclasses the modern film adaption

Advertisement