Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android app ideas for Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Is there an app for info on what movies are on terrestrial tv for each day including all free to air channels, rte 1+ 2, tv3, tg4, itv 1, 2, 3, 4, bbc 1+2, channel 4, e4, more 4, film 4, channel 5, itv london and bbc1 scotland?

Would be very handy instead of searching the web every day for whats on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not an app, but www.entertainment.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Not an app, but www.entertainment.ie

They've got an app for the iPhone so maybe with the growing popularity of the Desire and more so Android in general we might just see an app for us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Is there an app for info on what movies are on terrestrial tv for each day including all free to air channels, rte 1+ 2, tv3, tg4, itv 1, 2, 3, 4, bbc 1+2, channel 4, e4, more 4, film 4, channel 5, itv london and bbc1 scotland?

Would be very handy instead of searching the web every day for whats on

Yes. TV guide. Oddly, it only tells you what is on right now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes. TV guide. Oddly, it only tells you what is on right now though...

i got an update on this app a few days ago now showing a full listing on channels for whole day! happy days!!:p also really like the progress bar that gives an idea how long into said program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

i got an update on this app a few days ago now showing a full listing on channels for whole day! happy days!!:p also really like the progress bar that gives an idea how long into said program

Found a few tv guides in the market, who developed the one you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Found a few tv guides in the market, who developed the one you use?
    Just installed TV Guide - Ireland, by: Guillaume Vaudaux-Ruth.
    Simple, but effective.

The Irish one sucks compared to the british one. the Irish one just shows whats on now and you have to click on a channel to get the days schedule.
    The british one has a sports only box and a movies only box up top and gives the days listings of what you specifically want after you check the channels you want. streets ahead. i just use the british one for movies and check the paper for the irish movies its that bad

irish tv guide - guillaume vaudaux - ruth

tv guide uk - jersey productions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

How about something that hears other ringtones from phones when they ring nearby, works out what they are, & then plays that ringtone at random times to annoy the owners of all the other phones around you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭dabl

There are contour maps of Ireland on the internet (Emerald Isle/SME) in the format used by Garmin devices. I wonder if it would be possible to make them available as a plug-in layer in a mobile maps app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

dabl wrote: »
    There are contour maps of Ireland on the internet (Emerald Isle/SME) in the format used by Garmin devices. I wonder if it would be possible to make them available as a plug-in layer in a mobile maps app.
    Check out osmDroid. Tho doesn't do routing. While youre at it everyone should check out openstreetmaps with a view to adding info to this community created map
    There is an app osmtracker that allows you to add data, routes and poi,s tho it,s still beta

How about a simple gps app that displays your location in Irish National Grid ITM?

+1 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Off the top of me head:

1. An app that tells me when Ryan Tubridy or Miriam O;Callaghan are live on any kind of media so I can avoid it.
    (OK, seriously)
    2. A decent bank of ireland online banking system app (it is just me with the web version?)
    3. An online payment system for Garda road fines (yes, well, I know I should behave).
    4. Nearest A+E finder (tempted to say it should scrape for trolley count too).
    5. RyanAir online booking app
    6. For students, a free library seat lookup app (try finding one in TCD in April)
    7. Leaving cert results App including online CAO acceptance and deposit payment
    8. Parking availability app for towns and cities.

Parking availability sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Parkings and seat availability would be nearly impossible as people would have to have a map of the place with all the seats and check off the ones the are in - not very likely to happen even down the line.

Just the number of available spaces, not the actual location in the car park. Not sure if this info is out there, apart from on the signs as you approach the city.

Exactly - you could get the information from Dublin City Council or equivalent. Maybe they'll pay you? And many big shopping centres have sophisticated parking spot availability systems. Maybe you could tap into those... Just a thought.

Or a system that lets someone who has a spot indicate they're leaving it and anyone within 150 metres can use the geo location to get to it. LOL.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What about a ATM locater...?nothing worse than spending 15 min in a Q on a busy sat night to then pop into a spar and see another unused ATM in the shop.Does my head in the amount of hidden ATM's in this country.I am sure the banks would provide the info free.

uvox wrote: »

Or a system that lets someone who has a spot indicate they're leaving it and anyone within 150 metres can use the geo location to get to it. LOL.

like this? http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news/google-releases-parking-spot-sharing-app-open-spot-into-the-wild/

• Advertisement

something like that.

other idea:

App for farmers and other rural-based workers to check animal stocks without driving or walking the fields. If animals have microchips use the geo features to automatically show, count and locate sheep, cattle, etc.

If the count was down, one was missing. If one was on somebody else's land or over a cliff, you could act.

You'd be at the mercy of Ireland's infrastructure providers though.

RISE!

Stating the obvious, but think about what apps people coming INTO Ireland might need and whether these apps could be exported. Let's not see English-language only apps. Make them multilingual.

Why aren't tourism Ireland pushing multlingual apps in Europe for finding holidays, etc, here?

Watch out for a translation solution from these guys soon: www.tethras.com

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

I would like to see dublin bikes app that would tell you the availability of bikes at stations over the city.

There is an app for Dublin bikes. It's called veloid and is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

other idea:

App for farmers and other rural-based workers to check animal stocks without driving or walking the fields. If animals have microchips use the geo features to automatically show, count and locate sheep, cattle, etc.

If the count was down, one was missing. If one was on somebody else's land or over a cliff, you could act.

You'd be at the mercy of Ireland's infrastructure providers though.

RISE!

How would you know if they had mastitis or pink eye or a broken foot or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How would you know if they had mastitis or pink eye or a broken foot or something?

you'd still need to check, but if you were able to set up a perimeter (based on your land owning or potential hazzards) you could look at setting up notification when an animal strayed over that area and act more quickly than you normally would be able to.

Good idea imo.

Facebook status update type thing?

I'm not sure that cows are too good with touch screens.

Though large numbers of sheep clearly are.

The idea would just be a headcount thing really. Injured sheep and cattle tend to be easy to spot, but walking cliffs and fields in Wicklow looking for those last 2 or 3 cows on a January evening I can tell you I would have been glad of the app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That actually sounds like it'd be a really useful app but correct me if I'm wrong - dont the chips used in animals require a scanner to be run over them? What I mean is they wouldnt be capable of transmitting their position right? I suppose you could get transmittable tags in bulk but they’d still cost a fortune and you have the problem of keeping them powered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

I would love a radio app of all the Irish stations. And maybe access to podcasts. Some great ideas on here though.

How about an innovation app? An app that rates and evaluates ideas according to disruptive potential, game-changer, duh factor, etc.? Some kind of visual display of the relative merits of ideas, rankings, maybe collaborative input from other innovators (ratings?) plus ability to submit ideas to county enteprise boards, enterprise ireland, VCs and so on. The app would need to use parameters localized for the Irish market - competitive, environmental, financial, technical, and so on.

You could call it "Going Forward"

JohnK wrote: »
    That actually sounds like it'd be a really useful app but correct me if I'm wrong - dont the chips used in animals require a scanner to be run over them? What I mean is they wouldnt be capable of transmitting their position right? I suppose you could get transmittable tags in bulk but they’d still cost a fortune and you have the problem of keeping them powered.

Don't think RFID is that expensive and it's already been mooted:

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/040510/ireland___eid_sheep_ear_tags_.aspx

Regardless, you could start with the more expensive beasts (which should be tagged anyway).

How about an innovation app? An app that rates and evaluates ideas according to disruptive potential, game-changer, duh factor, etc.? Some kind of visual display of the relative merits of ideas, rankings, maybe collaborative input from other innovators (ratings?) plus ability to submit ideas to county enteprise boards, enterprise ireland, VCs and so on. The app would need to use parameters localized for the Irish market - competitive, environmental, financial, technical, and so on.

You could call it "Going Forward"
    Are you talking about an app that does what this thread is doing?

A boards.ie app for easy viewing

I cant find a good pollen count app for my asthma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

@rushnaldo
    Seems odd alright!
    Surely somebody could take data from somewhere like here and make a nice simple pollen count app?
    I have no idea how to make apps, but I'd imagine it would be very simple to do something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Hey guys

I was having a look at this app

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.profete162.mvforandroid/

It is a widget to show your remaining credit, Texts or data.

It currently only works on a Belgian network.

Is there anyway this can be done for meteor? or any of the other networks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

theres one for meteor called mobile account checker. Works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Ares wrote: »
    thanks for the tip, the web text works fine with that app but is it only for billpay customers? I'm on pay as you go and obviously the minutes data and texts are blank? I wonder is there any way of adding credit remaining into this app for payg customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

KAGY wrote: »
    A boards.ie app for easy viewing

That would be good. XDA have a great one for their forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Surely an online banking app would be very useful?

An app for Dublin bikes that doesnt use layar would be great. Its very hard on layar to see if your destination is full or empty.

Agreed. A native app would be way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Veloid does the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Ares wrote: »
    Lately I've been looking at some of the permissions required for some apps.

Why would this one need to access "Your personal information - read contact data" and "Your messages - edit SMS or MMs, read SMS or MMS"

seems very strange...

mathew wrote: »
    Veloid does the trick

Thanks, seems to do the job

M450 wrote: »
    Lately I've been looking at some of the permissions required for some apps.

Why would this one need to access "Your personal information - read contact data" and "Your messages - edit SMS or MMs, read SMS or MMS"

seems very strange...

you can send webtexts from it too. Thats why it needs the above permissions. just press menu and webtext.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Don't know if its mentioned before, but a gaa livescore/news app would be a great inclusion to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Moospace?

Advertisement