Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Opc line is different to opc themselves, they usually have snowflakes such as the ones on the black OPC that was bought a few days ago, or the more common standard vxr/opc 19". Opc line then is just for the other more standard cars to tart them up a bit :pac: the whole kit for the Astra when it's new cost £1,300 and I got it all for €650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Great story.

Poster Zippy of the British Scooby Net forums just found out that his 11-year old son, who has already beaten cancer twice in his short life, now has two inoperable brain tumors and has around four weeks to live.

A few weeks before finding out about this diagnosis, Zippy had promised to take his son to a meet with modified cars sometime soon.

But now his timetable is condensed, so Zippy is taking the meet into his own hands:

http://jalopnik.com/5939202/help-a-british-subaru-owner-fulfill-one-last-wish-for-his-dying-son

http://jalopnik.com/5939575/dads-wish-to-give-his-sick-son-a-car-show-goes-viral-overnight?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://jalopnik.com/5941126/1000-cars-are-set-to-attend-viral-car-show-for-terminally-ill-british-boy?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

saw that on facebook, really,really cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yeah, was posted on the ST Owners club as well. A good few of the guys said they'd do it.

Really shows there are still quite a few decent people out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd go if it was over here, that's amazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

gollywog wrote: »
    I just remind them that there paying between 8 and 9 euro per liter for the alcohol there currently swallowing and that shuts them up!

Which costs between 10-17cent/L to make.... :pac:

i offset spending on my car and holidays by saying i dont drink, smoke etc but i probably offset it a bit too much like MM :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Was driving the car a bit enthusiastically last night ahem, and heard a loud pop in the back, car didnt feel right so brought it to my mechanic and this was the problem

IMAG0413.jpg

Rear anti roll bar snapped.... I've never seen this happen before, is it common??
    And does anyone know where I would get a RARB for a mk5 gti?
    Would be really grateful!

ebay.de is your friend man.
    shouldnt be hard to pick up here either though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I though he was my friend as well. But.....

shouldnt be hard to pick up here either though

Ya true but i'd rather just get one hear to get it fixed quick ya know?
    I though he was my friend as well. But.....

Thanks man but thats the drop link, its the actual bar im after snapping! Thanks anyway though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Check to see if Elevate/Whiteline or one of those companies does an uprated RARB for it. Might as well upgrade while you actually have a good excuse! :D

broken anti roll bar... :eek:

Well... I'm impressed

the car saw its pink reflection yesterday and obviously decided to have metal breakdown :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

dar83 wrote: »
    Check to see if Elevate/Whiteline or one of those companies does an uprated RARB for it. Might as well upgrade while you actually have a good excuse! :D

Best idea

dar83 wrote: »

Yes I was also thinking that there aswell, And I have a milltek exhaust to be collected in alloy-wheels.ie the week after next too so might give them a call! :p
    broken anti roll bar... :eek:

Well... I'm impressed

Ha ha why is this not a common problem? I may be more conservative on the back roads so!
    the car saw its pink reflection yesterday and obviously decided to have metal breakdown :D

Ha ha touche!!

If Rover wasn't already non-existent they'd be getting such a bollicking right now for whatever ape designed the handbrake assembly in a 75....

Are you adjusting or replacing bits? Adjustment is much the same as loads of yikes with the knurled wheel type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Had a long trip today. Mallow-Kilkenny -Mallow. 300km. Was fun, though after this drive our little family became bigger. Our Kusco got a little brother named Barney!

9DE97DE4-5D05-4B35-B298-8CC08A93EC77-11110-00001A5FBDD27DD3.jpg

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you adjusting or replacing bits? Adjustment is much the same as loads of yikes with the knurled wheel type thing.

Well the 75 has always had issues with the handbrake, which upon some research turns out it's a "feature" with all of them, thanks to bad design of parts.

Trying to diagnose issues with NCT failure, which if my interpretation of results is right, will lead to a few parts being replaced alright.

Brake performance (Car weight 1,584 Kg)

Parking Brake 1.790 kN / 0.210 kN / Imbalance 88%
    Parking Brake Effort 13%

There seems to be an all round issue with the compensator having the aforementioned design flaw that allows it to stretch over time, meaning a modified one is necessary.

Also to me that looks like one of the rear cables shat itself and needs replacing.

All of them me hole, mine is perfect after 10 years. Have you actually looked at the handbrake or are you just looking at the fail sheet and the internet?

All of them me hole, mine is perfect after 10 years. Have you actually looked at the handbrake or are you just looking at the fail sheet and the internet?

Ya must have got a lucky one, tis a common problem though!

Going by the fail sheet & history of handbrake issues & internets info. Haven't gotten around to looking at it yet, but the handbrake was apparently adjusted the day before the NCT so...

Lol, that's gas, the ape I'd be talking to was whoever adjusted it. Diagnosis by google is often less than accurate too. I am happy to wager a ton that the compensatory and cable aren't needing replacement. Put your money on the keyboard if you want ;)

Lol, that's gas, the ape I'd be talking to was whoever adjusted it. Diagnosis by google is often less than accurate too. I am happy to wager a ton that the compensatory and cable aren't needing replacement. Put your money on the keyboard if you want ;)

Oh I'm aware diagnosis by google for a headache often leads to you thinking you're dead and have 300+ incurable diseases. I'm using it as more of a guide to figuring out what could be wrong and going from there.

Makes sense to me that the history of useless handbrake syndrome is caused by the compensator stretching over time, and the imbalance to me looks like a rear cable failing but again, only inspection will tell.

... Is that a no to the proposed wager?

... Is that a no to the proposed wager?

I'm not one for gambling, but if you're right I'll owe you a pint. How's that? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was packing these out in work today, loads left, some 10w40 semi too. i know its not a blow your mind brand name but if you want a bangernomics oil change...

iz6koj.jpg

took a pic of the specs but its not very clear

ymlau.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Oh dear. It appears my 406 had went on fire at some stage in previous ownership.....! :eek:

Pics later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think your signature is rather appropriate now

dgt wrote: »
    Oh dear. It appears my 406 had went on fire at some stage in previous ownership.....! :eek:

Pics later...

Would that be the electrics?

Oh, I'm trying my best to try and get my dad to buy this. :D He isnt having any of it though. :(

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3541549

Oh, I'm trying my best to try and get my dad to buy this. :D He isnt having any of it though. :(

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3541549

You'll need an oilfield too :P

BX 19 wrote: »
    You'll need an oilfield too :P

Thats what he said, But he is want a diesel. Hes looking a the Skoda octavio 1.6 D.

A solid choice :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Does anyone know where I can get an E65 front end kit for my supercharged E38? BMW magazine are interested in doing a piece on it.

Does anyone know where I can get an E65 front end kit for my supercharged E38? BMW magazine are interested in doing a piece on it.

Front and kit? are you referring to the front bumper and grill? just a bit confused.

Doing well for 21MPG outta that!

dgt wrote: »
    Pics later...

Nows later.

In a rather funny mood, alas I shall continue...

I isolated the problem to the sunroof relay. Decided to trace the wires back from under the lining.

Was greeted with...
    Image2296.jpg

Off with the A pillar cover
    Image2295.jpg

All that black shadow is soot of some kind.

Got suspicious. Fusebox out again...
    Image2297.jpg

An array of melted plastics and assorted rust. Should have twigged when I had the speedo out and saw the crinkled, half burned plastic. Same with the vent, it was badly burned, I blamed cigarettes on it.

I'm very close to sorting this fúcker out. Maybe not an engine out but a dash out job. I ain't looking foreward to that

Oh dear....

• Advertisement

Oh dear....

Exactly. A load of un-necessary work over what seems like a terrible bodge.

They just can't do anything right :rolleyes:

secretly dgt, your really happy you get to take the dash out :pac: more power to you though, wish i had half the determination and drive you have, never mind the skill!

as for me. going to look at 2 wheeled transport of the cheap kind tomorrow.

kind of like the look of the red townsend bike in the first pic of this link
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/3869301

or the last picture in this add of the silver rigid framed bike
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/3732701

dont know anything about bikes except that i want a rigid frame one that isn't a girls bike, that can take punishment and costs 60 euro and fits in the back of a starlet :)

secretly dgt, your really happy you get to take the dash out :pac: more power to you though, wish i had half the determination and drive you have, never mind the skill!

dont know anything about bikes except that i want a rigid frame one that isn't a girls bike, that can take punishment and costs 60 euro and fits in the back of a starlet :)

Please don't buy anything with suspension. Make sure its your right size; ie. your legs should be extended fully pedaling, you're wasting energy otherwise.

Make sure all the cables are sound and not frayed, the chain isn't rusted to bits, the gear teeth look like they're not worn away and the hubs spin freely. Also check if all the gears change as they should.

Please don't buy anything with suspension. Make sure its your right size; ie. your legs should be extended fully pedaling, you're wasting energy otherwise.

Make sure all the cables are sound and not frayed, the chain isn't rusted to bits, the gear teeth look like they're not worn away and the hubs spin freely. Also check if all the gears change as they should.

Thanks very much for that :)
    Just from being a child on my "suspension" bike i remember most of my pedalling energy was just wasted on bobbing up and down on the springs not really going anywhere, so i definitely want a rigid frame this time.

nice few tips there though, particularly the leg extension!

i know sub 100 quid isn't going to buy much good. just want something to nip to college on during the week and something that if it gets robbed on the weekend when im not there i wont be too sad. feck city center parking/ traffic etc. :pac:

Also, pop over to the cycling forum for some better advice, we don't bite

Also, pop over to the cycling forum for some better advice, we don't bite

i'l post a biking bangernomics thread on whatever i buy over there, just for the giggles, im sure i'l have some mishaps, running maintainance to do etc :).

Going out with €100 in cold hard cash with the intention of buying tomorrow to whoever answers the phone first between the rigid silver bike and the red townsend :cool: they both look like amateur bike dealers.

Right , its a bit late and uncle shadowhearth is a wee bit drunk ( Lithuanian drunk, it's fecking rare, sort of ) .
    Red is the color to go for, it's like a pussy magnet man. All fanmy in 3 counties around you are yours. True story man. I drive red and I have to fight to get pussy off my bonnet. True story man!!!

Right , its a bit late and uncle shadowhearth is a wee bit drunk ( Lithuanian drunk, it's fecking rare, sort of ) .
    Red is the color to go for, it's like a pussy magnet man. All fanmy in 3 counties around you are yours. True story man. I drive red and I have to fight to get pussy off my bonnet. True story man!!!

yeah i thought the mudguards and the parcel shelf on the red one were what made it a fanny magnet, not the colour itself. i could give my missus a crossbar into town on it without wetting the ends of her trousers with mudguards like that :pac: and a basket full of roses and baguettes on the rear shelf!

yeah i thought the mudguards and the parcel shelf on the red one were what made it a fanny magnet, not the colour itself. i could give my missus a crossbar into town on it without wetting the ends of her trousers with mudguards like that :pac: and a basket full of roses and baguettes on the rear shelf!

Ah lad, you made a vital mistke. I have no rare shelf!!!!!!!!! Muhahahahaha!

It looks to be a pig of a job to get the dash out, rack out according to haynes! :( but I just don't have the room to play with to see where the wires go...

Someday, I'm sure you'll have the skill to take on such a task. If there's a will theres a way. Remember I had no such skills or knowledge at one time :)

As for a bike, I was trying to go down that route myself but alas never got a bike cheap enough :( would have been perfect in the van :)

Also, as it is Saturday night, I am quite drunk though :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement