Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular opinions

• 01-08-2015 9:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuing on from this thread.

Same rules as last time:
    Mod note: last time a thread like this was made a lot of people were banned.
    If your opinion is too extreme you probably shouldn't post it.

As always, the AH charter and the sitewide rules still apply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seems like nobody seems to give a **** I feel just as sorry for Pool Auld Jericho as I do his brother Cecil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I don't understand how people could donate to donkey sanctuarys etc when there are so many more deserving childrens/homeless/etc charities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't understand how people could donate to donkey sanctuarys etc when there are so many more deserving childrens/homeless/etc charities

But then some of those children's charities are more deserving than others, so why would people donate to charities for poor children when there are more derserving charities for terminally-ill children?
    And the homeless? Sure let them get jobs, look after themselves.

You see what happens when you start to rank charities?
    If you follow that train of thought all the way we'd only have one charity for whatever we decide is the most deserving cause.

Let people donate to whatever charity they want, the world's still a better place if some donkeys get rescued.

And how do you know people who donate to donkey sanctuaries don't donate to other charities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

But then some of those children's charities are more deserving than others, so why would people donate to charities for poor children when there are more derserving charities for terminally-ill children?

If you follow that train of thought all the way we'd only have one charity for whatever we decide is the most deserving cause.

Let people donate to whatever charity they want, the world's still a better place if some donkeys get rescued.

And how do you know people who donate to donkey sanctuaries don't donate to other charities?

I'd prefer to send my tenner to some unfortunate kids than to Cecil the donkey who needs a new water bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Children have parents, communities and government who all play a part in supporting children in need. Animals don't, therefore that's why I personally choose animal charities to donate to, also childline and make a wish if I see them out and about.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to send my tenner to some unfortunate kids then to Cecil the donkey who needs a new water bowl.

Cecil the donkey is pretty nervous, what if that dentist is not going for big game but animals named Cecil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I really like Tom Cruise.

Whatever about his whacky beliefs and how big a weirdo he acts sometimes, he's a damn fine actor and has made some excellent movies.

Links234 wrote: »
    I really like Tom Cruise.

Whatever about his whacky beliefs and how big a weirdo he acts sometimes, he's a damn fine actor and has made some excellent movies.

He has. He started off bad, then improved, but seems to have slipped back again.

He has. He started off bad, then improved, but seems to have slipped back again.

I don't think he slipped at all, Edge of Tomorrow was downright incredible, hands down one of the best movies of 2014 by far. The Mission Impossible movies are always good fun, and he was the best thing about Tropic Thunder. I've not seen Oblivion, but I've heard that's pretty good too. Jack Reacher was decent, nothing amazing but not terrible by any stretch.

Going back a while, he was awesome in Collateral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't think he slipped at all, Edge of Tomorrow was downright incredible, hands down one of the best movies of 2014 by far. The Mission Impossible movies are always good fun, and he was the best thing about Tropic Thunder. I've not seen Oblivion, but I've heard that's pretty good too. Jack Reacher was decent, nothing amazing but not terrible by any stretch.

Going back a while, he was awesome in Collateral.

You've obviously forgiven him for Knight and Day, Days of Thunder, and Far and Away then... :pac:

• Advertisement

You've obviously forgiven him for Knight and Day, Days of Thunder, and Far and Away then... :pac:

Never seen Knight and Day, the others were a pretty long time ago at this point, and he's done so many great movies since then we can hardly hold those against him. Minority Report was absolutely fantastic, on the whole he's done more good movies than bad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I like Tom Cruise as well and he's been in a ridiculous amount of good films compared to a lot of other stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya and his film Rock of Ages, I love that film, he actually sings in that film as well. Pretty good singer.

Never seen Knight and Day, the others were a pretty long time ago at this point, and he's done so many great movies since then we can hardly hold those against him. Minority Report was absolutely fantastic, on the whole he's done more good movies than bad. ;)

I think Knight and Day is really good and funny because he's character is completely mental in a funny way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya and his film Rock of Ages, I love that film, he actually sings in that film as well. Pretty good singer.

I never saw Rock of Ages because it never made sense to me that one of the main characters would be a hair metal singer in his 40s-50s in the 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Who the hell is Peregrine?

Birneybau wrote: »

A fool of a Took! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Birneybau wrote: »

Peregrine is a boards.ie poster and a moderator on After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

A fool of a Took! :pac:

A fool....but an honest fool

I never saw Rock of Ages because it never made sense to me that one of the main characters would be a hair metal singer in his 40s-50s in the 1980s.

I just love that film so much, Its the music really that makes it and he is so good in it. I went to see it like 3 times in the cinema and have the dvd as well. It was actually that film that I started liking Tom Cruise again. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

We execute wasps...but we don't execute dogs

I dont like wasps i got attacked by one of them one time, i was walking and this wasp went straight into my hair so i started shaking him out and when i got him out of my hair he went straight back in there so then i had to shake him out again and went i got him out the second time i just ran for my life because I knew he was determined to sting me but I like bumblebees, i think bumblebees are lovely,

I actually rescued a bumblebee from being killed by a spider, he got caught in a spiders web and the spider came out of his hole and was reeling the bumblebee in so i got a stick and cut the web and the bumblebee came on the stick and I put him on the grass and he flew away. :):)

Eh? Of course we execute dogs?

We execute all sorts of insects and animals?

Even... foxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnny1235

We should stop letting foreign people in to Ireland, especially when we are in a bad spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

johnny1235 wrote: »
    We should stop letting foreign people in to Ireland, especially when we are in a bad spot

What would that achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
    Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.
    Originally Posted by efb View Post
    Well only married couples (and offspring if any) are defined as families in our constitution

Nope they changed that every grouping is defined as a family now apparently.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
    Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.

Nope they changed that every grouping is defined as a family now apparently.

Not under the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 they didn't, nor has the Constitution changed to define "The Family" either, beyond as efb points out what qualifies as "The Family" once a couple are married.

fin12 wrote: »
    ....the bumblebee came on the stick....

That's quite an impressive way to show his appreciation. :pac:

I'm finding it very hard to give a **** about Cecil the Lion, or his brother for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thin Lizzy were shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Far too much nepotism in workplaces in Ireland

Irish women are far too picky about what they want in a partner and I think the media, crap tv shows/books/magazines they watch and read give them really shallow and unrealistic standards and expectations, reason why a lot stay single well into their 30's, like them f**king clowns on How I Met Your Mother and whatnot. Can't afford to keep being picky when you hit your late 20's and 30's. Time is ticking.

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Irish women are far too picky about what they want in a partner and I think the media, crap tv shows/books/magazines they watch and read give them really shallow and unrealistic standards and expectations, reason why a lot stay single well into their 30's, like them f**king clowns on How I Met Your Mother and whatnot. Can't afford to keep being picky when you hit your late 20's and 30's. Time is ticking.

"Gotta impregnate 'em all" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I only donate to a donkey sanctuary, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not under the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 they didn't, nor has the Constitution changed to define "The Family" either, beyond as efb points out what qualifies as "The Family" once a couple are married.

Oh right I was led to believe that it was changed as a result of changing Article 41 .1 formerly "The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack."

I was also told during the last referendum on these boards that The family according to the courts is a married couple with or without children I was not told the case law in question.

I know "One family" wants the constitution changed:
    http://www.onefamily.ie/press-releases/news115/

I did find a good article that discusses the whole definition of the family but is 10 years old
    http://www.jsijournal.ie/html/Volume%205%20No.%201/5%5B1%5D_Martin_The%20Changing%20Face%20of%20Family%20Law%20in%20Ireland.pdf

Anyway apparently my view of what a family is now outdated/unpopular or whatever the word is! I believe the term for my view of what a family is the "nuclear family". It sounds like a (funny name to call it like they are waging war) but this is what wiki says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_family
    By Wiki showing a picture of such a family from 1955 might imply that my views are unpopular/outdated!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭dollar_king

Cienciano wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy were shíte

perhaps but they were the beatles compared to the boomtown rats

• Advertisement

By Wiki showing a picture of such a family from 1955 might imply that my views are unpopular/outdated!

Ehh, I doubt it! Your views are neither unpopular nor outdated as the nuclear family is still an aspirational ideal for the vast majority of adults.

Tom Cruise is great. Edge of Tomorrow is made even better by the fact that he isn't this super soldier from the get go, like he is in other movies. Also how many other actors have so much respect and goodwill that directors only work on Mission Impossible movies if he says it's OK. Also with the MI films - it actually works in their favour that each one has a different director, because it makes each one look different too. MI:3 is still one of the better action movies out there.

He's one of those actors where you can almost forgive his bad aspects, because of how good he actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

People need to get over Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

People need to get over Father Ted.

A fitting quote will get you 50 likes, it's not going anywhere on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

I don't like muslims and their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I am sceptical about almost every modern popular opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A fool....but an honest fool

This really is an unpopular opinion :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

People on perpetual social welfare that have 2+ kids are engaging in a form of economic child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

If they want to have children I suppose. Most Irish women I know of all ages have a partner and not a partner who ticks a load of perfect boxes. Just a guy they like.

I think it's your view that's the one informed by the media.

If they want to have children I suppose. Most Irish women I know of all ages have a partner and not a partner who ticks a load of perfect boxes. Just a guy they like.

I think it's your view that's the one informed by the media.

I'd like to meet the women you know then, anyone I come across, it's a mix match of standards and hoop jumping from picky women, "Do you have a degree, or a masters?" or "Did you go to Triners? (or some other wanker college in Dublin...) "Do you have a car?" "Have you a well paid spectacular job?" "Do you live in the right part of town?/The right street?" (In other words, can't go out with a guy from such and such a place because..etc)

"Did you go to the right secondary school?" "Do you go to the gym 5 times a week?" "Have you traveled here there and everywhere through your 20's?" (just so I can find you soooooo interesting because you've been somewhere)

Lot of shallow narrow minded bullshyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

They sound awful. Go to different bars maybe. Rock, trad, old man, funk bars seem to have nicer people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I want a United Ireland in both NATO and the Commonwealth. Neutrality has always been BS and a sop to those who supported Hitler in the war and soft soap IS now.

I'd like to meet the women you know then, anyone I come across, it's a mix match of standards and hoop jumping from picky women, "Do you have a degree, or a masters?" or "Did you go to Triners? (or some other wanker college in Dublin...) "Do you have a car?" "Have you a well paid spectacular job?" "Do you live in the right part of town?/The right street?" (In other words, can't go out with a guy from such and such a place because..etc)

"Did you go to the right secondary school?" "Do you go to the gym 5 times a week?" "Have you traveled here there and everywhere through your 20's?" (just so I can find soooooo interesting because you've been somewhere)

Lot of shallow narrow minded bullshyte.

"Women's standards are too high" is hardly an unpopular opinion though?

There's plenty of women don't care about those sort of things, but they'd be the sort of women that complain about men who have standards that they don't meet.

I'm sure you have your own standards too?

You do, right? :p

They sound awful. Go to different bars maybe. Rock, trad, old man, funk bars seem to have nicer people.

Sick of the bar scene I must say, might get the shift at my luckiest if I got lucky and found someone cool without all the standards, then exchange numbers, followed by a text the next day saying "Oh I'm not looking for anything with anyone right now"

Sssssake!....story of my life ha

"Women's standards are too high" is hardly an unpopular opinion though?

There's plenty of women don't care about those sort of things, but they'd be the sort of women that complain about men who have standards that they don't meet.

I'm sure you have your own standards too?

You do, right? :p

I like to think my standards are pretty moderate, all I want from a girl is for them to be there, not a workaholic, to be stylish and likes to shop, hates sport, good with children and likes the idea of family, doesn't have to be gorgeous, I prefer cute in comparison to being gorgeous and is social and outgoing and knows how to switch off. Is that a high standard, I think that is normal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement