Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options
  • 01-08-2015 9:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuing on from this thread.

Same rules as last time:
    Mod note: last time a thread like this was made a lot of people were banned.
    If your opinion is too extreme you probably shouldn't post it.

As always, the AH charter and the sitewide rules still apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seems like nobody seems to give a **** I feel just as sorry for Pool Auld Jericho as I do his brother Cecil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I don't understand how people could donate to donkey sanctuarys etc when there are so many more deserving childrens/homeless/etc charities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't understand how people could donate to donkey sanctuarys etc when there are so many more deserving childrens/homeless/etc charities

But then some of those children's charities are more deserving than others, so why would people donate to charities for poor children when there are more derserving charities for terminally-ill children?
    And the homeless? Sure let them get jobs, look after themselves.

You see what happens when you start to rank charities?
    If you follow that train of thought all the way we'd only have one charity for whatever we decide is the most deserving cause.

Let people donate to whatever charity they want, the world's still a better place if some donkeys get rescued.

And how do you know people who donate to donkey sanctuaries don't donate to other charities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

But then some of those children's charities are more deserving than others, so why would people donate to charities for poor children when there are more derserving charities for terminally-ill children?
    And the homeless? Sure let them get jobs, look after themselves.

You see what happens when you start to rank charities?
    If you follow that train of thought all the way we'd only have one charity for whatever we decide is the most deserving cause.

Let people donate to whatever charity they want, the world's still a better place if some donkeys get rescued.

And how do you know people who donate to donkey sanctuaries don't donate to other charities?

I'd prefer to send my tenner to some unfortunate kids than to Cecil the donkey who needs a new water bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Children have parents, communities and government who all play a part in supporting children in need. Animals don't, therefore that's why I personally choose animal charities to donate to, also childline and make a wish if I see them out and about.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to send my tenner to some unfortunate kids then to Cecil the donkey who needs a new water bowl.

Cecil the donkey is pretty nervous, what if that dentist is not going for big game but animals named Cecil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I really like Tom Cruise.

Whatever about his whacky beliefs and how big a weirdo he acts sometimes, he's a damn fine actor and has made some excellent movies.

Links234 wrote: »
    I really like Tom Cruise.

Whatever about his whacky beliefs and how big a weirdo he acts sometimes, he's a damn fine actor and has made some excellent movies.

He has. He started off bad, then improved, but seems to have slipped back again.

He has. He started off bad, then improved, but seems to have slipped back again.

I don't think he slipped at all, Edge of Tomorrow was downright incredible, hands down one of the best movies of 2014 by far. The Mission Impossible movies are always good fun, and he was the best thing about Tropic Thunder. I've not seen Oblivion, but I've heard that's pretty good too. Jack Reacher was decent, nothing amazing but not terrible by any stretch.

Going back a while, he was awesome in Collateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't think he slipped at all, Edge of Tomorrow was downright incredible, hands down one of the best movies of 2014 by far. The Mission Impossible movies are always good fun, and he was the best thing about Tropic Thunder. I've not seen Oblivion, but I've heard that's pretty good too. Jack Reacher was decent, nothing amazing but not terrible by any stretch.

Going back a while, he was awesome in Collateral.

You've obviously forgiven him for Knight and Day, Days of Thunder, and Far and Away then... :pac:

• Advertisement

You've obviously forgiven him for Knight and Day, Days of Thunder, and Far and Away then... :pac:

Never seen Knight and Day, the others were a pretty long time ago at this point, and he's done so many great movies since then we can hardly hold those against him. Minority Report was absolutely fantastic, on the whole he's done more good movies than bad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I like Tom Cruise as well and he's been in a ridiculous amount of good films compared to a lot of other stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya and his film Rock of Ages, I love that film, he actually sings in that film as well. Pretty good singer.

Never seen Knight and Day, the others were a pretty long time ago at this point, and he's done so many great movies since then we can hardly hold those against him. Minority Report was absolutely fantastic, on the whole he's done more good movies than bad. ;)

I think Knight and Day is really good and funny because he's character is completely mental in a funny way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya and his film Rock of Ages, I love that film, he actually sings in that film as well. Pretty good singer.

I never saw Rock of Ages because it never made sense to me that one of the main characters would be a hair metal singer in his 40s-50s in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Who the hell is Peregrine?

Birneybau wrote: »

A fool of a Took! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Birneybau wrote: »

Peregrine is a boards.ie poster and a moderator on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

A fool of a Took! :pac:

A fool....but an honest fool

I never saw Rock of Ages because it never made sense to me that one of the main characters would be a hair metal singer in his 40s-50s in the 1980s.

I just love that film so much, Its the music really that makes it and he is so good in it. I went to see it like 3 times in the cinema and have the dvd as well. It was actually that film that I started liking Tom Cruise again. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

We execute wasps...but we don't execute dogs

I dont like wasps i got attacked by one of them one time, i was walking and this wasp went straight into my hair so i started shaking him out and when i got him out of my hair he went straight back in there so then i had to shake him out again and went i got him out the second time i just ran for my life because I knew he was determined to sting me but I like bumblebees, i think bumblebees are lovely,

I actually rescued a bumblebee from being killed by a spider, he got caught in a spiders web and the spider came out of his hole and was reeling the bumblebee in so i got a stick and cut the web and the bumblebee came on the stick and I put him on the grass and he flew away. :):)

Eh? Of course we execute dogs?

We execute all sorts of insects and animals?

Even... foxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnny1235

We should stop letting foreign people in to Ireland, especially when we are in a bad spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

johnny1235 wrote: »
    We should stop letting foreign people in to Ireland, especially when we are in a bad spot

What would that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
    Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.
    Originally Posted by efb View Post
    Well only married couples (and offspring if any) are defined as families in our constitution

Nope they changed that every grouping is defined as a family now apparently.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
    Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.

Nope they changed that every grouping is defined as a family now apparently.

Not under the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 they didn't, nor has the Constitution changed to define "The Family" either, beyond as efb points out what qualifies as "The Family" once a couple are married.

fin12 wrote: »
    ....the bumblebee came on the stick....

That's quite an impressive way to show his appreciation. :pac:

I'm finding it very hard to give a **** about Cecil the Lion, or his brother for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thin Lizzy were shíte

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement