Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    160 is your max heart rate? :eek:

yeah, max i ever hit was an a4 uphill sprint in the dunsany gp, about 162 bpm, (actually hit that going up a hill on saturday during the evil 200 aswell, didt feel like it at the time) and i dont think i could have gone much, if any, harder. Myabe i could have. i dunno. I have no idea what it means in terms of affecting my performance on the bike. I remember at one point on the wicklow going up SE of SM with a heart rate of about 90 bpm. Maybe i should just try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »
    yeah, max i ever hit was an a4 uphill sprint in the dunsany gp, about 162 bpm, (actually hit that going up a hill on saturday during the evil 200 aswell, didt feel like it at the time) and i dont think i could have gone much, if any, harder. Myabe i could have. i dunno. I have no idea what it means in terms of affecting my performance on the bike. I remember at one point on the wicklow going up SE of SM with a heart rate of about 90 bpm. Maybe i should just try harder

lenny, a lower max bpm does make you more efficient as well as your lower resting heart race. Their are some drawbacks but in high altitude i can but assume it will be great benefit with the limited oxygen , my resting heart is 55-60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lenny
    IMHO you will know your max HR when you hit it as you will feel light headed or nauseous afterwards. You will also know it, because your throat and lungs will be burning, your calves and thights will be in agony.
    You will also feel your HR everywhere - ie in your hair, teeth, eyeballs.

It is horrible but the aftermath is exhilirating.

If you feel you could go harder then you did not hit your max.

@ ROK ON, that sounds like a challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I find this min/max HR business interesting and baffling at the same time. I dont spend nearly as much time on the bike as you seem to Lenny, but a max HR of 160 seems extraordinarily low (you're not 60 years old..I'm guessing :))

Tackling the Elliot or Slieve Mann with ONLY 90bpm as a HR is beyond me.............I virtually never see less than 100 on my HRM even on the flat at easy cadences and no half decent climb fails to result in a HR of 160. (my max is 183 - verified by a battery of expensive cardiac stress tests - as ROK ON suggests, I sure know when I'm in this zone for any length of time).

Are you sure that your not actually Alberto Contador O'Leary...... :D:D

Seriously, I think elite cyclists would be envious of those sorts of readings - regardless, you appear to be well able for the Evil 200 back-to-back with the WW200 and that alone is impressive.

• Advertisement

i had a look at my strava ride for the wicklow 200, and it looks like i got my SE /SM mixed up with glencree. SE averaged about 115 bpm, SM averaged about 110 and glencree averaged about 99 bpm.

glencree - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752582
    slieve mann - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752617
    shay elliot - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752595

I think i have good endurance and good recovery. if only I could add good speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If someone told me they were climbing at 90 bpm, I'd be telling them to replace the battery in their HRM (or replace the HRM) :)

Pretty much as soon as I hop on the bike, my HR jumps up over 100. Anything requiring a rate under 130 I generally consider to be "effortless", I only start warming up at 140/150. RHR is 45-55bpm depending on the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

That's an evil looking 200km route alright, fair play lennymc for doing two 200km's back-to-back !! wow!

Now if you can do this sub 200km route (without stopping) I'm sure ROKON will go double-or-quits :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's an evil looking 200km route alright, fair play lennymc for doing two 200km's back-to-back !! wow!

Now if you can do this sub 200km route (without stopping) I'm sure ROKON will go double-or-quits :pac::p

That route looks like an elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Raam wrote: »
    That route looks like an elephant.

And so the Boards Elephant 200 was born!

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »

I like it. :)

June 30th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Sweet mother of Jebus NO.

Just No.

.............and the challenge is on ;):cool:

Actually I will do this route at some stage, and without stopping, it is one of my goals !
    I've done most of the climbs (as has seve65) so all that is needed is a long good dry (free) day in the summer, free being the hard part.

daragh_ - we need a logo. stat. :)

seriously, is anyone up for it, 30th June? Head down on the Friday evening, start early on the saturday. Back up towards Dubland saturday evening?

daragh_ - we need a logo. stat. :)

seriously, is anyone up for it, 30th June? Head down on the Friday evening, start early on the saturday. Back up towards Dubland saturday evening?

Good prep for the ROK !!!!!

Good prep for the ROK !!!!!
    if we did it on the 6th July, it would be a good warmup for the ROK. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

i had a look at my strava ride for the wicklow 200, and it looks like i got my SE /SM mixed up with glencree. SE averaged about 115 bpm, SM averaged about 110 and glencree averaged about 99 bpm.

I think i have good endurance and good recovery. if only I could add good speed :)

They're mad numbers alright:eek:

My heart rate max seems to be around 160 as well, which I also thought was relatively low for my age, but to climb those hills at any pace at bpm numbers like that... I mean 99bpm is only 60% of your max. I know if I walked up glencree or sliabh maun my heart rate would be higher than that. And I'd say even descending the other side I'd be higher! When I'm out for a spin my operational HR seems to be oscillate between 120 and 150, and if it's over 150 for very long then I know I'm red-lining the ol engine a bit.

seamus wrote: »
    If someone told me they were climbing at 90 bpm, I'd be telling them to replace the battery in their HRM (or replace the HRM) :)

Pretty much as soon as I hop on the bike, my HR jumps up over 100. Anything requiring a rate under 130 I generally consider to be "effortless", I only start warming up at 140/150. RHR is 45-55bpm depending on the time of day.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    They're mad numbers alright:eek:

My heart rate max seems to be around 160 as well, which I also thought was relatively low for my age, but to climb those hills at any pace at bpm numbers like that... I mean 99bpm is only 60% of your max. I know if I walked up glencree or sliabh maun my heart rate would be higher than that. And I'd say even descending the other side I'd be higher! When I'm out for a spin my operational HR seems to be oscillate between 120 and 150, and if it's over 150 for very long then I know I'm red-lining the ol engine a bit.

So its not just me, maybe I'm not the unfit slob I thought I was...

What is the key here though - is it 'simply' a matter of fitness v's not, plus
    differing physiologys? Sorry to labour the point, but I'm looking for answers to my own problems - high HR's in relatively easy sectors - and Lennymc's stats are reinforcing the issue for me.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

differing physiologys? Sorry to labour the point, but I'm looking for answers to my own problems - high HR's in relatively easy sectors - and Lennymc's stats are reinforcing the issue for me.

As I understand with regard to max HR its just different physiology and it actually has no bearing on how fit or fast you are or are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

HR is really just a personal thing. There's no easy way to compare two individuals purely on HR and determine that one is stronger than the other.

Lower RHR usually indicates higher cardio fitness. However, for Max or other "active" heart rates, to quote wiki:
    note that individuals of the same age, the same training, in the same sport, on the same team, can have actual HRmax 60 bpm apart (160 to 220): the range is extremely broad, and some say "The heart rate is probably the least important variable in comparing athletes."

So while theoretically you would think that if someone can put out the same effort @ 96bpm than someone else @ 160bpm, the former should be able to really hammer it @ 160bpm, for some reason it just doesn't work out that way.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    So while theoretically you would think that if someone can put out the same effort @ 96bpm than someone else @ 160bpm, the former should be able to really hammer it @ 160bpm, for some reason it just doesn't work out that way.

All that being true, its not too comfortable operating for too long at high HR levels and in that sense 'lower is better'...............but will significantly (say -20bpm) lower heart rates come with better fitness......?

if anyone is interested, this is my strava from the dunsany gp, A4 race, couple of drags, i was mainly in the group, with a small stint at the front and a sprint finish at the end. I thought i was pushing hard in the sprint, and i did have to push on to keep up at some parts during the race.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8436780

if we did it on the 6th July, it would be a good warmup for the ROK. :eek:

I'm thinking the only climb you will do on the 7th is the climb out of bed ;)

I'm thinking the only climb you will do on the 7th is the climb out of bed ;)

im thinking that aswell!! :)

June 30th?

Sounds good, you just need to find a good 200 for July 1st now ;)

Sounds good, you just need to find a good 200 for July 1st now ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056668763

you fancy it Inquitus?

June 30th?

I can't do that w/e, but I could do the following weekend and give someone a lift down.

Lenny, my aim on 6 & 7 th is to do 380km over both days with much climbing.
    That route looks class. The day after we could do Mt Leinster over as far as the Slieve Blooms and back (lovely climbing there).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

if anyone is interested, this is my strava from the dunsany gp, A4 race, couple of drags, i was mainly in the group, with a small stint at the front and a sprint finish at the end. I thought i was pushing hard in the sprint, and i did have to push on to keep up at some parts during the race.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8436780

That's amazing .... your heartrate hardly changes throughout the race, even on the climbs! Maybe A4 is just too easy for you and you should feck off to A3 or A2 and leave the rest of us to our heart attacks! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do you have to register and pay for strava to see other peoples' links like Lenny's above? If I click on it I see very little data, only a route map and an elevation graph. No speed or HR etc.

Advertisement