Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Elephant 192 km, 30th June

Options
  • 12-06-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

So, after the Evil 200, Moriseeeee suggested this route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1309276

Raam pointed out that the route looked like an elephant, hence the name.

I think im gonna attempt it on 30th june. anyone else fancy it?
    192km, 4386 metres climbing, the route looks like a large land mammal. What can possibly go wrong :)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Holy. Feck.

Love the name and route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Probably in, depends on the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I could well be up for this. Pool car(s) and it's about 2 hours each way. Leave the pale at 5am for a 7am start or similar?

Edit: Daragh_ this needs more logo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Thats what I was thinking. I can take 3 bikes and 4 people. Maybe 4 bikes at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lennymc wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking. I can take 3 bikes and 4 people. Maybe 4 bikes at a push.

I have a 95 Pajero with a tow bar 4 bike rack, I could fit 5 people and 5 bikes, 6 and 6 at a push, but it really sucks the diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

GPS Anyone ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looks to me like there's a particularly crappy bit on the R668 just south of Bohemagore:D

Well I have a better(=mental) idea. We cycle done to the start, it's only around 185kms with 1400ms of climbing if we choose the flat route from Dublin and the next day we do the route.

There is a problem of carrying our stuff though and the way back. But I guess we can get back by train or something.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well I have a better(=mental) idea. We cycle done to the start, it's only around 185kms with 1400ms of climbing if we choose the flat route from Dublin and the next day we do the route.

There is a problem of carrying our stuff though and the way back. But I guess we can get back by train or something.

why not cycle down Friday evening on bmx's, continue on through the night with the elephant, lob off an arm, let the air out of tyres, then cycle home blindfolded on saturday with no saddle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You guys are actually going to do this as well? At first I was impressed, but now I'm just disgusted. Stop being so class at cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'm half tempted in tagging along, would one need to carry much stuff??
    I.e. should I bring my planet x Kaffenback with a pannier or Pro Carbon?

and how long-ish should the route take? 11 hours or cycling??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll have no part in this madness.

nelly.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

You guys are actually going to do this as well? At first I was impressed, but now I'm just disgusted. Stop being so class at cyclingsuffering.

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

I'd welcome more animal shaped routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Judging by the profile, this route could also be called "Jaws".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Decent route, but your leaving out the nicest climb in the Knockmealdowns, the Mount Mellary-Newcastle route.
    If I'm not playing football I'll join the Pale gang
    lennymc wrote: »
    So, after the Evil 200, Moriseeeee suggested this route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1309276

Raam pointed out that the route looked like an elephant, hence the name.

I think im gonna attempt it on 30th june. anyone else fancy it?
    192km, 4386 metres climbing, the route looks like a large land mammal. What can possibly go wrong :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,451 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ford2600 wrote: »
    Decent route, but your leaving out the nicest climb in the Knockmealdowns, the Mount Mellary-Newcastle route.
    You get more points for artistic impression than you do for scenery ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Crow92 wrote: »
    I'm half tempted in tagging along, would one need to carry much stuff??
    I.e. should I bring my planet x Kaffenback with a pannier or Pro Carbon?

and how long-ish should the route take? 11 hours or cycling??

It's a climbing challenge, pro carbon all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

LOL this is actually going to take place, fair play.
    ATM I'm scheduled on for a 12hr shift that day, but if I can get it off I'll definitely tag along.

The least I can do is make 'hang sandviches', in elephant shapes :p

There are 3 'really' steep (300m) sections, ie. big sprockets are needed for these sections, and these are the main stumbling blocks to finishing the route in one go!
    the Mount Mellary-Newcastle route
    Is that the Knockboy climb? a lovely climb but a bit out of the way for the elephant! unless we give him a tail (a sting in the tail!!) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

whats road condition like on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I have absolutely no idea what the elvation profile is, but I'll be happy to attempt it if there's a spin from/to Cork.

Im gonna have to miss this on the 30th cos the mullingar 2 day.stage race is on and ill br doing that.

You started the thread. You.have.to.be.there.!

I know, i feel like a right wally now. Got a text last night from the club secretary to say that the mullingar 2 day was on, and did I want to enter, and everyone else in the club was riding. Can we change the date of the elephant 192? Would there be any objections?

Sorry again.

July 7th? The last big ride before we head off.. no problems with me :)

AstraMonti wrote: »
    July 7th? The last big ride before we head off.. no problems with me :)
    i cant do that weekend. Maybe the following weekend. ill have to check the diary

Looks like I might be free on the 15th July, I might give it a go !! gulp : :eek:

Or I might wimp out and do the HumpbackElephant (129km @ 2700m) ;)

/or is that a kind of camel ?!

i might be free that weekend - let me check with the boss. One final hurrah before we fly to the pir-eh-knees

• Advertisement

Lenny !! where were you ?? :pac:

Well I set off on a route, never had the Elephant 200 in mind tho, but I did do some climbing, & now I'm tired. I got all kinds of weather, sunny/warm/wind/driving-rain, I got the wind & rain all the way home, that was a major bummer :( but it's a nice route & one I can mix-&-match with other climbs :cool:

See attached for how it looked on my computer software.

Advertisement