Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

I'm trying to track down an old tune, from the early 90's. I have an old tape ( well a cd copy of it ) called Sides DC and it's on it - it's mixed in to Vinyl Blair - The Trancespotter. It has a bird singing 'break down and cry' ?? I'm sure someone here knows it - class tune altogether. Any ideas?? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

I'm trying to track down an old tune, from the early 90's. I have an old tape ( well a cd copy of it ) called Sides DC and it's on it - it's mixed in to Vinyl Blair - The Trancespotter. It has a bird singing 'break down and cry' ?? I'm sure someone here knows it - class tune altogether. Any ideas?? Cheers.

Alright mate, its possibly one dove - breakdown

i got an mp3 of it too but first try this, if it is the one then let me know and ill send ya the mp3 of it.......

nearly certain this is it anyway man

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUXGud4Qc10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Johnnyd1977

Well ppl congratulations on this thread, it's an absolute cracker!!! Between all the moves and chnges i've lost all tapes ive had from back in the day and the downloads are great. I've been following this thread for quite a while now and it's my turn for my view:D...... I never made it to the asylum myself and in some ways im glad and in others im not. I was a big sides head back in the day, every fri and sat night, there will never be a club like it in dublin again! I started going in with mates who lived thru the asylum who had the know how , how to enjoy a good night. The thoughts of "flying" up and down the stairs in there sends shivers down my spine, i'll never forget my first night in there and hearing cosmic baby - fantasia at 4am, thought i was in paradise!. What i did find was a lot of 'asylum' heads chasing a lost buzz????, im not knocking it, i would love to have experienced it. I remember downstairs in sides seeing a needle in someones hands and my mates saying that was the norm in the asylum, not my buzz! From hearing stories etc i know the asylum was not always like that, so when did that creep in? I've one mate who slipped down that road who is now, all i can say an out and out wanker, but the asylum did that to him, as i said, 'that's the norm in the asylum'.

Does anybody remember a tape that Warren K did back in August 94 - ?
    Everybody knew it as "Mother Eath" as the second track on side A had a tune that went ............

"back to nature, back to nature, mother earth, keep her alive, make your breath and glow in the sunrise, drink up the rain and still of the night, i hear a voice, back to nature, back to nature"

Never heard it anywhere else. I have the tape but never knew the name of this fooking gem. Would appreciate it if anyone knew...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

Everybody knew it as "Mother Eath" as the second track on side A had a tune that went ............

"back to nature, back to nature, mother earth, keep her alive, make your breath and glow in the sunrise, drink up the rain and still of the night, i hear a voice, back to nature, back to nature"

Never heard it anywhere else. I have the tape but never knew the name of this fooking gem. Would appreciate it if anyone knew...

Yeah, I remember that old record! It was by Yum Yum and the track was called "back to nature", I have it at home, I think it was on a label called "FNAC" (not 100% sure about that), I'll have a look and dig it out later on.

Well ppl congratulations on this thread, it's an absolute cracker!!! Between all the moves and chnges i've lost all tapes ive had from back in the day and the downloads are great. I've been following this thread for quite a while now and it's my turn for my view:D...... I never made it to the asylum myself and in some ways im glad and in others im not. I was a big sides head back in the day, every fri and sat night, there will never be a club like it in dublin again! I started going in with mates who lived thru the asylum who had the know how , how to enjoy a good night. The thoughts of "flying" up and down the stairs in there sends shivers down my spine, i'll never forget my first night in there and hearing cosmic baby - fantasia at 4am, thought i was in paradise!. What i did find was a lot of 'asylum' heads chasing a lost buzz????, im not knocking it, i would love to have experienced it. I remember downstairs in sides seeing a needle in someones hands and my mates saying that was the norm in the asylum, not my buzz! From hearing stories etc i know the asylum was not always like that, so when did that creep in? I've one mate who slipped down that road who is now, all i can say an out and out wanker, but the asylum did that to him, as i said, 'that's the norm in the asylum'.

That's dublin for ya mate, no matter how good a scene or a place is, you're more than likely always gonna get dirtbags turning up and ruining it, im from dublin all my life but lets face it, our "legendary" spots are **** all compared to the ones in the rest of europe, especially the uk i.e shelleys, bowlers and the likes, sure the asylum and sides were open really late, so ya used to get hobos and all sorts going in with blankets and paper cups and all, so it doesn't surprise me one bit, if bouncers and doormen get that greedy and they're only after money regardless of who they let in, then sadly your gonna get junkie scumbags and the likes wrecking it for everyone, not the best enviroment to be in when your pilled up, surrounded by junk bags on the pitch black second floor or in the jax or whatever, all shooting up around ya, bad buzz that, think id rather go home myself **** that:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

Luke G wrote: »
    Alright mate, its possibly one dove - breakdown

i got an mp3 of it too but first try this, if it is the one then let me know and ill send ya the mp3 of it.......

nearly certain this is it anyway man

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUXGud4Qc10

That's it alright - one of the best tunes I've ever heard, nice one.

I'll take that mp3 off you if it's no trouble??

Actually you needn't bother - just got it off soulseek - cheers anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

the track your after is yum - yum - back to nature.

http://www.discogs.com/release/193298

aparently not the same yum yum that released tracks such as:YUM YUM - 3 MINUATE WARNING (ORG)
    i think the lads that released back to nature are french and the other lads english

also i have that mix from 94 if you want an u/l super mix that.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ROBDOW

Ye Luke, can ye post up the mp3 for One Dove. I love that track too. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Can someone pleae post a decent copy of "Pressure 2" please as my copy is ****e!
    Thanks

Olympic Night in Radio City was ANIMAL!

ROBDOW wrote: »

on the way...

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Can someone pleae post a decent copy of "Pressure 2" please as my copy is ****e!
    Thanks

Was deadly alright, the lads made a show of mark kavanagh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

was another top nite put on by ken and dar the place was kicking all the sets were top top sets was a savage nite fair play 2 the lads ken and dar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Lads, you can get any amount of Oldskool Tracks and Mixes at the below Site. Fair play to Dave for Putting up the Site. I hope it goes from Strength to Strength.

http://www.davesgaff.com/p1.htm

Theres some real classics in the DJ Singles section. My FAV track is Heliotropic - Walk With Me. Hadn't heard it in years until i found the above website.

• Advertisement

ROBDOW wrote: »

Here ya go http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ymxm0o3mdcn

One of my mates asked me to rey and get a tune id'd for him, not familiar with it myself but here goes

its from 1994ish
    there's a woman singing........

"i want somebody
    i want to get loose with
    i want somebody
    its time to let go....
    face power for the music" x 5

then a sample thats taken from starwars says "attention all personel"

there is also a rap in it too

No sound sample sorry.....

Anyone????????????

Yeah, I remember that old record! It was by Yum Yum and the track was called "back to nature", I have it at home, I think it was on a label called "FNAC" (not 100% sure about that), I'll have a look and dig it out later on.
    Good man..if it is the one. Any chance you could upload it. Would very much appreciate it. I know Yum Yum well they had another great track called "3 minute warning" which was also a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

manufan wrote: »
    Lads, you can get any amount of Oldskool Tracks and Mixes at the below Site. Fair play to Dave for Putting up the Site. I hope it goes from Strength to Strength.

http://www.davesgaff.com/p1.htm

QUOTE]

alot of uncredited stuff on that site, as in not appreciating where he got it from!!!

Good man..if it is the one. Any chance you could upload it. Would very much appreciate it. I know Yum Yum well they had another great track called "3 minute warning" which was also a classic.

and "free bass EP" & "let me go"

• Advertisement

savage tune, that and "scratch n sniff"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Well Senan, i don't know the ins and outs of where he got the music from but most of it is scattered around the web anyway. May as well have it all under one roof. Theres plenty of people who will appreciate a website like Davesgaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

Lads I really would love if one of you could help me out. I'm desperately looking for an mp3 of aplononia the original mix on ecm records from 1993. I sold my copy back in the day and now I'm ragin. I would love to have it again !
    Great thread and respect to all who have posted. I was amazed when reading all of peoples thoughts and experiences. I used to mainly go to sides and but also loved the asylum for some heavier tunes ! What I wouldn't give for one night to be back in the day with some quality tunes and some lovely pink new yorkers or gambashers !!!
    I remember the night the Asylum got closed down, me and my mate were outside waiting to get in when the lads ran out with hatchets chasing a guy so we ran as fast as we could with heavy record bags to the front of clerys on o connell street and when we got around to the front of clerys we heard gun shots..lights out for the innocent guy who got it. some good times but also mad when you think about it. I remember in Sides when the back doors would open by the stage at about 4am and everyone was still dancing and people in the street that were maybe on the way to work or on a normal night out would stare in amazement and christy would be there with his war chains saying, me bird is up the pole, she's so far up I can't get her down ! I remember the tune that was playing with Mick Walsh on the decks at the time it was ministry death before disco followed by bassline kickin yeah I'm groovin . ah well that's enough of me wafflin . peace everyone and thanks for the amazin memories and tunes and effors put into this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Dacoop wrote: »
    I remember in Sides when the back doors would open by the stage at about 4am and everyone was still dancing and people in the street that were maybe on the way to work or on a normal night out would stare in amazement

ye you wouldnt beleive it unless you seen it but this is true.........about 7am on the second floor of the ASYLUM the front doors out to the street were opened while the place was still kicking & i seen two Austrian/Swedish or some nationality or other backpackers with a map in hand looking for sights or something & they got some sight when they looked in the doors of the ASYLUM:eek:.....must have looked like the night of the living dead with all the pale face pulling soaking wet mad out of it heads still buzzin with sounds thumping from downstairs.......scary to look at but would give my right arm to be there again:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Lads I really would love if one of you could help me out. I'm desperately looking for an mp3 of aplononia the original mix on ecm records from 1993. I sold my copy back in the day and now I'm ragin. I would love to have it again !
    Great thread and respect to all who have posted. I was amazed when reading all of peoples thoughts and experiences. I used to mainly go to sides and but also loved the asylum for some heavier tunes ! What I wouldn't give for one night to be back in the day with some quality tunes and some lovely pink new yorkers or gambashers !!!
    I remember the night the Asylum got closed down, me and my mate were outside waiting to get in when the lads ran out with hatchets chasing a guy so we ran as fast as we could with heavy record bags to the front of clerys on o connell street and when we got around to the front of clerys we heard gun shots..lights out for the innocent guy who got it. some good times but also mad when you think about it. I remember in Sides when the back doors would open by the stage at about 4am and everyone was still dancing and people in the street that were maybe on the way to work or on a normal night out would stare in amazement and christy would be there with his war chains saying, me bird is up the pole, she's so far up I can't get her down ! I remember the tune that was playing with Mick Walsh on the decks at the time it was ministry death before disco followed by bassline kickin yeah I'm groovin . ah well that's enough of me wafflin . peace everyone and thanks for the amazin memories and tunes and effors put into this thread.

Appolonia

http://www.mediafire.com/?btm3ttz1hcu

knird evol wrote: »

oh my god, thank you soooo much mate, i really owe you big time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I've one mate who slipped down that road who is now, all i can say an out and out wanker, but the asylum did that to him, as i said, 'that's the norm in the asylum'.

M8 to blame the asylum for your friend getting strung out is at best naive if not a joke. Very close minded view as of the 13,000 or so heroin addicts in Dublin how many went to the asylum? I know a fair few that only went to Sides and still got strung out, sure nearly all the door men on sides were using gear!! The asylum had a bad rep because it was more open in there but really it was only the third floor that you'd see people shooting up on. I went to both clubs and loved both of them the asylum maybe more so because it was so hedonistic and there were no rules but for all that it still felt pretty safe at the time.

stephen_n wrote: »
    M8 to blame the asylum for your friend getting strung out is at best naive if not a joke. Very close minded view as of the 13,000 or so heroin addicts in Dublin how many went to the asylum? I know a fair few that only went to Sides and still got strung out, sure nearly all the door men on sides were using gear!! The asylum had a bad rep because it was more open in there but really it was only the third floor that you'd see people shooting up on. I went to both clubs and loved both of them the asylum maybe more so because it was so hedonistic and there were no rules but for all that it still felt pretty safe at the time.

I would have to agree with ya there man......a very good mate of mine who went raving with me all during the 90's fell into the same trap but it wasnt the rave (asylum or anywhere else) that got him strung out as to use that as an excuse would mean i would be right there with him......it is usually people that are into heroin that get other people interested who then in turn develop their own dependancy & most likley make new aquaintances & so on........but to simplify it like that is still bordering on the naive it is down to people, personal circumstances & each individuals inclinations but certainly not dictated by the Rave you go to or all the D.J.s that have being playing the Rave scene in dublin the last 18 + years would surley be chronic heroin addicts.....dont want to sound like a pompous p***k but it really is about having the cop on to say no F****N way.....there was a lot of it around us mid to late 90's & most of us steered clear but a few of my mates were stung & some not with us anymore R.I.P.

:)House Pressure 2

Thanks

I remember me and me mates doing the Muriel in sides and painting all kinds of mad pictures all over the walls and getting the cartaker John Murphy who looked after sides stoned off his nut at about 12pm in the day. He had kinda of stutter, but after we got him wasted he couldn't even talk let alone stutter. He was a sound man and really funny too ...gas times man :)

I knew some of the bouncers from sides and they didn't do gear.
    I remember when gear did hit sides all concerened parties try to nip it in the bud as best they could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

I remember me and me mates doing the Muriel in sides and painting all kinds of mad pictures all over the walls and getting the cartaker John Murphy who looked after sides stoned off his nut at about 12pm in the day. He had kinda of stutter, but after we got him wasted he couldn't even talk let alone stutter. He was a sound man and really funny too ...gas times man :)

I knew some of the bouncers from sides and they didn't do gear.
    I remember when gear did hit sides all concerened parties try to nip it in the bud as best they could.

i new a gud few of the bouncers in sides and seen them do pills alrite but never gear i remember 1 time off the head and going down stairs 2 the jacks 2 get sum water and seen a bird i worked with banging up man it freaked me out first time i seen it in sides heard sum ****ed up stories from the asylum my uncle was a bouncer in there anyways no 1 puts the needle in your arm the first time u can all always say no any 1 remember when the bloke died out side sides and his family out side cant remember if it was the next nite or next week

bmooney wrote: »
    i new a gud few of the bouncers in sides and seen them do pills alrite but never gear i remember 1 time off the head and going down stairs 2 the jacks 2 get sum water and seen a bird i worked with banging up man it freaked me out first time i seen it in sides heard sum ****ed up stories from the asylum my uncle was a bouncer in there anyways no 1 puts the needle in your arm the first time u can all always say no any 1 remember when the bloke died out side sides and his family out side cant remember if it was the next nite or next week

Yeah I remember that night the guy died outside sides, he was from Malahide wasn't he ??
    I remember the following week when they played that tune, he died of an oversose was played and everyone kinda felt weird over what happened and there was a real weird buzz in sides the following week afer that happened and the place shut real early too. I think that was the beginning of the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 REACTIVE

right lads look no further

reactiveJune_backHI.jpg

Fair point mate, i am not naive as to soley blame the asylum for ppl getting strung out, but if there are ppl openly shooting up, been young and naive, and after a while your couple of doves don't seem to be quite what they used to be, it is a contributary factor..... yes you need to have the cop on to say 'not for me'. Anyway, what im really after is when did all that creep in or was it there from the very first night?. I know it was in sides as well but as far as im concerned it was confined to the bottom floor? stand to be corrected on that! I'm not knocking either club, sure i lived in sides every fri/sat night, but when there's scumbags sellin party packs in dame lane (3 doves and a wrap of smack) it doesn't help.
    Think it was pretty obvious that the bouncers in sides were on yokes and dealing, i nearly got the bollox knocked out of me in there one night for handing my mate half a pill and they thought i was dealing.
    Fair play to the lads who tried to organise a re-union night for the asylum, pity it got nipped in the bud very quickly.
    From what ive heard, the law will never let the asylum open again, not even for a school disco!! As had been said in previous posts, there are clubs all over the uk that attract regular crowds week after week and the scumbags are told to **** off. Liverpool and manchester have some of the best clubs ive been in, yeh there is ppl on tablets but not everyone, theres a strict no scumbag policy and the law generally leaves them be.
    Surely Dublin or the right people can open a club in dublin with the same principals, yeh there's tripod, acadmey etc but wouldn't it be great to have another sides, asylum, ormonde etc but run with a stricter policy.
    Im sure if its set up thru the right channels, there can be no objections to a licence etc as long as it's run in a more professional manner. It works all over europe so why cant it work in dublin?

Fair point mate, i am not naive as to soley blame the asylum for ppl getting strung out, but if there are ppl openly shooting up, been young and naive, and after a while your couple of doves don't seem to be quite what they used to be, it is a contributary factor..... yes you need to have the cop on to say 'not for me'. Anyway, what im really after is when did all that creep in or was it there from the very first night?. I know it was in sides as well but as far as im concerned it was confined to the bottom floor? stand to be corrected on that! I'm not knocking either club, sure i lived in sides every fri/sat night, but when there's scumbags sellin party packs in dame lane (3 doves and a wrap of smack) it doesn't help.
    Think it was pretty obvious that the bouncers in sides were on yokes and dealing, i nearly got the bollox knocked out of me in there one night for handing my mate half a pill and they thought i was dealing.
    Fair play to the lads who tried to organise a re-union night for the asylum, pity it got nipped in the bud very quickly.
    From what ive heard, the law will never let the asylum open again, not even for a school disco!! As had been said in previous posts, there are clubs all over the uk that attract regular crowds week after week and the scumbags are told to **** off. Liverpool and manchester have some of the best clubs ive been in, yeh there is ppl on tablets but not everyone, theres a strict no scumbag policy and the law generally leaves them be.
    Surely Dublin or the right people can open a club in dublin with the same principals, yeh there's tripod, acadmey etc but wouldn't it be great to have another sides, asylum, ormonde etc but run with a stricter policy.
    Im sure if its set up thru the right channels, there can be no objections to a licence etc as long as it's run in a more professional manner. It works all over europe so why cant it work in dublin?

:)House Pressure 2

Thanks

Here is pressure 2 thanks to DERRA for this.....i nicked all the links he put up for pressure series on NI OLDSKOOL;) thanks man.
    House pressure 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?3mj94ymxdzb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

aceberg wrote: »
    the track your after is yum - yum - back to nature.

http://www.discogs.com/release/193298

aparently not the same yum yum that released tracks such as:YUM YUM - 3 MINUATE WARNING (ORG)
    i think the lads that released back to nature are french and the other lads english

also i have that mix from 94 if you want an u/l super mix that.:confused:
    Is it not the same Yum Yum ? I just presumed it was cause it's a peculiar name. Yeah I'd appreciate it if you'd upload it. I have the Warren K tape but don't have the tune on mp3

Does anyone have a tune I think was by Miro. It was called either "Orient Express" or "Metropolis". It was a well known track that used to have the crowd going mad in Sides. It had Sirens in it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember that night the guy died outside sides, he was from Malahide wasn't he ??
    I remember the following week when they played that tune, he died of an oversose was played and everyone kinda felt weird over what happened and there was a real weird buzz in sides the following week afer that happened and the place shut real early too. I think that was the beginning of the end.
    I remember that night well ...It was Saturday 2 July 1994... He was from Malahide alright. He was celebrating his 19th birthday. Knew him well..R.I.P

Does anyone have a tune I think was by Miro. It was called either "Orient Express" or "Metropolis". It was a well known track that used to have the crowd going mad in Sides. It had Sirens in it.

here's the link to the tune http://www.discogs.com/release/211770, absolutely savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

bmooney wrote: »

All the bouncers in all the clubs were involved to some extent, came with the territory, of course they were gonna turn a blind eye or deal for the gangs (mostly they had no choice) the profits were mad for pills.
    Yea there was a few peple who succumbed to smack, it happened everywhere, just because a few smoked or banged in the asylum doesnt mean the club was responsible for it-it was always there, the 80's in dublin was swimming in the stuff. Blame the dealers selling party packs and also balme those who took it, EVERYONE knows what gear does to you.
    What killed the rave scene was the greed of the drug gangs, selling ****e pills and then everyone doing charlie.
    Coke will never give you the same buzz as good MDMA, the way the music works (repetitive beats and bass) is tailor made for yolks.
    I know a few casualties myself, mainly those who suffered mental problems from doing too much smoke, E and gear, but however unfortunate that their situation is, you cannot blame either the music or clubs for it, it would have happened anyway. I have taken my fair share of drugs, but like most people I am happy, in fact the experience has enriched my life, it has made me a more tolerant, open person-and thats what rave gave to me, and i will never regret that.
    Loads of people have tried to start petitions, talking to politicians etc to change the STUPID ARCHAIC nightclub laws in this country, but no-one ever tried to help. Why don't we have Homelands or Creamfields, or an Irish I love Techno? Why are we ****ed out at 3 AM and stand for it? It's our ****ing culture.
    Maybe i was too idealistic or even naive, but what killed the danced culture here was coke, drug gang aggro, a load of politicians egged on by the police to stop rave, and worse of all, our ****ing apathy
    I'll get me pink fila hoodie on the way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,541 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

Unfortunately we have knackbags who can't handle their drink / drugs / themselves and meant these were relatively unpleasant experiences... and then the audience moved to listening to different kinds of music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

MYOB wrote: »
    We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

Unfortunately we have knackbags who can't handle their drink / drugs / themselves and meant these were relatively unpleasant experiences... and then the audience moved to listening to different kinds of music.

I know we had homelands and creamfields, i played at them, but what do you mean by knackbags? Are you saying a certain "type" went to places like the asylum? Rave music was not the preserve of a few it belonged to everyone, that was the beauty of it-just because a certain minority decided to use it to make money (same **** happens in all forms of sub-culture) doesnt mean it was bad-amd besides most poeple still listen to different types of music anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

francois wrote: »
    I know we had homelands and creamfields, i played at them, but what do you mean by knackbags? Are you saying a certain "type" went to places like the asylum? Rave music was not the preserve of a few it belonged to everyone, that was the beauty of it-just because a certain minority decided to use it to make money (same **** happens in all forms of sub-culture) doesnt mean it was bad-amd besides most poeple still listen to different types of music anyway.

well said.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

i think Francois was trying to say why don't we have allnighters/weekenders, like in every other country in the world...

its a load of bollix, i remember heading to london a good few years ago, headed to the club at 23:00, the placed closed at 7:30, another club, opened @ 08:00, closed @ 12:00, another club opened @12:30 till 16:00, which continued on, as one club closed another one opened.

Fair play to you THEASYLUMKEY for Pressure 2, means a lot mate.:)

Fair play to you THEASYLUMKEY for Pressure 2, means a lot mate.:)

No probs man......thanks to DERRA for the upload:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Is it not the same Yum Yum ? I just presumed it was cause it's a peculiar name. Yeah I'd appreciate it if you'd upload it. I have the Warren K tape but don't have the tune on mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz7mhy1tmsz

there ya go m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I think it's fair to say that the majority of people who post on this thread remember the Dublin electronic music scene in the early to mid 1990's, and they were most definitely very different times. I think the scene was pretty new, and it was an exciting global subculture. But as Francois pointed out, like a lot of subcultures, it became commodified through greed and over-exposure, and eventually lost a lot of meaning, particularly to the original people who were members of it. I do think the 1990's were hedonistic, mad times, and the highly charged atmosphere of clubs like Olympic, Sides and The Asylum is extremely rare to find in any contemporary club, in fact the only club in Ireland that ever had that level of energy was Sir Henries in Cork. I wouldn't agree that the electronic music scene is finished though, I think it has matured to a certain extent, I mean if you look at what some Irish electronic artists have achieved recently (people like Chymera, Stee Downes, Corrugated Tunnel, Donnacha Costello, John Daly, Gavin Boyce, and the like), it has possibly never been a more vibrant scene than it is today. I do agree that the licensing laws as they currently stand, and the rip-off culture of certain promoters has left a sour taste in most people's mouths, but for those of us who love the music and the scene it will always be something we share a passion for. I also think there is a level of thuggery in some clubs, and cocaine has certainly been a factor in creating more aggressive punters, but I've been to gigs in the past couple of years which were the best I'd ever been to, so I do think there is cause for optimism. I do look back on the days in the early 1990's with a certain amount of fondness, but the scene was really underground back then, and I don't think you will ever get that back. Youth musical movements move on so fast, the scene was bound to mature and change, it couldn't stay the same forever. To quote WB Yeats, "all changed, changed utterly, a terribly beauty is born".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement