Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Riskymove wrote: »
    and creationism taught in science class!!

Alongside FSM, no problem.

Ramen, brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

eviltwin wrote: »
    What argument could there be? Who would represent the other side?
    Homophobes.

K4t wrote: »
    Homophobes.

They wouldn't do.

They'd have to be homophobes who are pro-bullying LGBT kids, and not all of them are.

And presumably they'd have to be Irish-speaking as well.

Bear in mind this isn't a debate, it's an anti-bullying workshop. There's no need for "another side".
    It became a debate as soon as the focus of the workshop was homophobic bullying instead of simply bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

An anti-racism workshop has been cancelled because "both sides should be represented".

Take in how utterly ludicrous that sentence sounded and ask why the hell homophobia should be treated any differently.

This country is ridiculous.

Why does everyone seem to be picking up "the other side" as the bullies? Presumably what the school meant is that it should be a workshop teaching that it's not okay to bully anyone.

If the quoted analogy were instead about a workshop for preventing "racism against black people", people might see the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ficheall wrote: »
    Why does everyone seem to be picking up "the other side" as the bullies? Presumably what the school meant is that it should be a workshop teaching that it's not okay to bully anyone.

If the quoted analogy were instead about a workshop for preventing "racism against black people", people might see the issue?

The school hasn't clarified what they meant when asked which is a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it just me or are peoples sarcasm detectors breaking down at a much higher rate lately?

From what I've heard, Gaelscoils are more conservative-minded than non-Gaelscoils. Maybe it's some de Valeraesque fantasy of a Gaelic, Catholic Ireland at play here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Maybe they didn't expect people to jump to such a stupid interpretation of their argument..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Maybe they didn't expect people to jump to such a stupid interpretation of their argument..

I think their response was stupid.

They'll be crafting a statement as we speak.

It will be all down to a "misunderstanding" and stress that they have a deep commitment to anti-bullying of any kind.

But an explanation would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Funnily enough, this situation reminds me of a homophobic Boardsie who claimed anti-homophobic bullying campaigns were threatening religious freedom. :rolleyes:

They wouldn't do.

They'd have to be homophobes who are pro-bullying LGBT kids, and not all of them are.
    Not if they reject the view that there is such a thing as homophobic bullying, but rather only bullying, and feel the workshop is unfairly targeting homophobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I really would think that there should be a workshop against bullying, and have parts of the day showing all different types of bullying. I would definitely give the school a chance to explain before jumping onto the outraged wagon.

Also, sometimes in these workshops things are said/done which can be inappropriate in a school setting. I know in my school we have said thank you to certain shows and events and never booked them again. Maybe, just maybe, the teachers felt that it wasn't the best workshop and to save their money and try something new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jogathon wrote: »
    I really would think that there should be a workshop against bullying, and have parts of the day showing all different types of bullying. I would definitely give the school a chance to explain before jumping onto the outraged wagon.

Also, sometimes in these workshops things are said/done which can be inappropriate in a school setting. I know in my school we have said thank you to certain shows and events and never booked them again. Maybe, just maybe, the teachers felt that it wasn't the best workshop and to save their money and try something new?

Bad form letting the group involved make their way to the school only to be sent away. If they had just decided it wasn't for them they should have had the courtesy to give adequate notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Imagine being a gay student at that school thinking about complaining about homophobic bullying. This would make you think twice.

Not if they reject the view that there is such a thing as homophobic bullying, but rather only bullying, and feel the workshop is unfairly targeting homophobia.

That's the wider side. Not "the other side".

Maybe the school representative was misquoted, but we can only go on what we have been told so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is Ireland. It's usually safe to assume that this kind of incident is brought on by social conservative moronity being given more legitimacy than it deserves.

You cannot unfairly target homophobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

unfairly targeting homophobia.

Quoting this because I think it's the greatest phrase I've read since Christmas.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Imagine being s gay student at that school thinking about complaining about homophobic bullying. This would make you think twice.
    Imagine being a ginger student at that school thinking about complaining about ginger bullying. This would make you think twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

This is what happens when you start inventing titles like "homophobic bullying" instead of simply BULLYING.

If you want to teach people about homophobia then fair enough but you can see an argument for both sides being represented, which is what I think is happening here.

The side in favour of homophobic bullying?

right so

Imagine being a ginger student at that school thinking about complaining about ginger bullying. This would make you think twice.

It's a Gaelscoil - aren't they all ginger?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Imagine being s gay student at that school thinking about complaining about homophobic bullying. This would make you think twice.

Or a gay teacher on staff, where saying anything about it could get you sacked - and legally, thanks to our equality legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So who is it that need to be represented? The bullies or the homophobes?

TBH it stinks of a certain Institute sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong. The sooner we marginalise these bigots further the better. They have far too much input into various spheres of influence in our society.

The schools management should be absolutely ashamed of themselves in cancelling a talk that has been given on two previous years there at such short notice. It's going to be interesting to find out who is behind this or who they get to represent the "other side" or to even get them to explain what the "other side" is?

You cannot unfairly target homophobia.
    Tell that to the victims of homophobia bullying.

spurious wrote: »
    Or a gay teacher on staff, where saying anything about it could get you sacked - and legally, thanks to our equality legislation.

I had no idea that was the case. It's amazing that being born a certain way makes you a legal target for hate.

No I'd rather not talk to them to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had no idea that was the case. It's amazing that being born a certain way makes you a legal target for hate.

The glorious Section 37.1 which we've been promised for years will be done away with, but nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Do you even know what Homophobia means? :confused:

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Do you even know what Homophobia means? :confused:
    Yes. And I hate it.

Advertisement