Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 12:24am
    Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've turned my hand to a few jobs over the years, and while living overseas I spent a few years teaching English as a means to fund my travels, working alongside teachers from all over the world. I can only assume that it's a product of the environment, but the more time I spent teaching there, the more irritated I found myself getting when other teachers would make basic English mistakes.

I appreciate that regionalisms and dialects are a natural phenomenon, but ones that particularly grate for me are:

• Irregardless.
    • On accident.
    • "pacific" for "specific", (as in "How long will it take to fix this pacific problem?").
    • Aks instead of ask (it hurts just typing it)

...or the one that drives me absolutely bat****....
    "I could care less." (I COULDN'T CARE LESS, you mean. You DON'T care. If you could care less, that means you care SOMEWHAT.)

Is it just me, or does anybody else have any mispronunciation or grammar pet hate that drives them up the wall?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

'Could of.'

Does my head in, although I'm not usually a grammar Nazi.

I find myself regularly wanting to correct my boyfriend when he uses 'your' instead of 'you're,' too. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Millon and Billon. Usually by big muck savage politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is there not a forum for this shoite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

"tats" on fb and in texts. "Tats grand". There's a h ffs, a h. How hard would it be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

The specific/pacific one is the only one that bothers me. My brother is a fecker for it!! He seems to say it a lot too and gets annoyed when I correct him.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

'Could of.'

Does my head in, although I'm not usually a grammar Nazi.

I find myself regularly wanting to correct my boyfriend when he uses 'your' instead of 'you're,' too. :o

heh - don't get me started on their/there/they're and your/you're :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Loose/lose.

mike_ie wrote: »
    heh - don't get me started on their/there/they're and your/you're :D

I don't mind their/there/they're much, tbh. Your and you're are a pet hate, though.

I'm proud of my restraint, though. I've never yet corrected him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

'Pronounciation' instead of 'pronunciation'. Drives me UP THE WALL. Especially when people look at me as if I'm an idiot for saying 'pronunciation' or even worse, CORRECT ME! :mad:

The to/two/too mix ups annoy me a little bit.

Thought/taught as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

Cousind for cousin, demond for demon and the best was anti fast instead of acti fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

An apostrophe used in plural words, e.g. word's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I don't mind their/there/they're much, tbh. Your and you're are a pet hate, though.

I'm proud of my restraint, though. I've never yet corrected him :pac:

A new one I'm hearing more and more in the media recently is 'He's' for 'his'.

FFS 'I' has a different sound to 'E'.

So if you pronounce it like 'He's', then you confuse me as I'm wondering what HE has done while you're speaking.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mauzo! wrote: »
    The specific/pacific one is the only one that bothers me. My brother is a fecker for it!! He seems to say it a lot too and gets annoyed when I correct him.

what pacifically bothers you about it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nucular instead of nuclear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nuclear instead of nuclear
    eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Chicargo

What's all that about?

Expresso!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

eh?
    Feckin autocorrect! Edited accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Aks is a favourite from our 'roving copper gathering gentlemen of the road'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

BNMC wrote: »
    Loose/lose.

"your such a looser"

I don't understand why so many adults basically have sub-primary school levels of literacy. If you can't tell the difference between 'have' and 'of' you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

D instead of The

I seen a misspell on a sign.
    My dog braked lose.
    I done the shopping.
    We was in the mall.
    I'm defiantly in the top ten percent of my class in collage, becos I'm so articulated.
    I get told that alot.
    Comma,s used as apostrophes.
    Thiers more I could of wrote, but I'm abit tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BNMC wrote: »
    Loose/lose.

That's a misspelling, not poor grammar or mispronunciation. And very understanable too. Think of some poor foreigner learning English being told that Loose rhymes with Goose but not with Choose. But Choose rhymes with Lose. But Lose does not rhyme with Dose or Hose or Nose or Pose or Rose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Candie wrote: »
    I seen a misspell on a sign.
    My dog braked lose.
    I done the shopping.
    We was in the mall.
    I'm defiantly in the top ten percent of my class in collage, becos I'm so articulated.
    I get told that alot.
    Comma,s used as apostrophes.
    Thiers more I could of wrote, but I'm abit tried.
    Your funny.

Your funny.

Funny strange or funny haha? :)

Your funny.

You are two. I wouldn't of taught of that :)

That's a misspelling, not poor grammar or mispronunciation. And very understanable too. Think of some poor foreigner learning English being told that Loose rhymes with Goose but not with Choose. But Choose rhymes with Lose. But Lose does not rhyme with Dose or Hose or Nose or Pose or Rose.

Its not just people learning English though, they can be forgiven. Its people whose first language is English!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I took two Solfadene??? Aaarrrrghhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I seen and I done...

Advertisement