Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭KH25

The Shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

KH25 wrote: »
    The Shining.
    That's my next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Rereading Northern lights - Philip Pullman
    I love those books. I've re-read them a good few times now and I still cry more than is probably acceptable every time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All crying is acceptable ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Vojera wrote: »
    I love those books. I've re-read them a good few times now and I still cry more than is probably acceptable every time.

I'm not sure why, but I only enjoyed the first one in the trilogy. Ended up putting down the third and not even bothering finishing it, which isn't like me at all. Might try get back to it again, it just didn't keep me interested first time round.

Needed something light to read at the moment, so reading Cat&Mouse by James Patterson, one of the Alex Cross books. Bit meh, nice and easy reading though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Barna77 wrote: »
    That's my next one.

I loved it when I first read it over 15 years ago. I'm afraid to read it again in case an older me doesn't enjoy it :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pete Goss - Close To The wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just started reading Personal by Lee Child...big fan of the Jack Reacher series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Reading the Jungle Book at the moment, nice little read moving through it quickly. Going on to re-reading forth Song of Ice & Fire book, previously read it on laptop, have a rule about putting books on my shelf that havent been read :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

whitewave wrote: »
    I'm not sure why, but I only enjoyed the first one in the trilogy. Ended up putting down the third and not even bothering finishing it, which isn't like me at all. Might try get back to it again, it just didn't keep me interested first time round.!
    Do give it another go if you still have it. It might not be your thing, and that's okay, but the trilogy is easily one of my favourites.

I'm currently reading Shade's Children by Garth Nix. I loved his Old Kingdom books, but this is a totally different direction - YA dystopia before it got popular in the past few years. I've had it on my shelf for years (!!!) and I'm only getting around to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Eat vegan on $4.00 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene

Sticking with Stephen King at the minute. Just about to begin 'The Stand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I read the new Ross O'Carroll Kelly book over the past few days, Keeping Up with the Kalashnikovs. A bit of light-hearted humour, I enjoyed it!

Back reading a lot of Stephen King at the moment. Have his entire back catalogue downloaded so transfer them to my Kindle as the mood takes me :) Enjoying the Bachman books at the moment. Read The Long Walk a few months back and really enjoyed it. Read The Running Man last week, both books have similar enough concepts, set in dystopian America, very Battle Royale-esque.

Currently reading Rage, which SK actually let go out of print as it was associated with some high school shootings in the 80s and 90s. Next on the list is Roadwork.

I read the new Ross O'Carroll Kelly book over the past few days, Keeping Up with the Kalashnikovs. A bit of light-hearted humour, I enjoyed it!

Back reading a lot of Stephen King at the moment. Have his entire back catalogue downloaded so transfer them to my Kindle as the mood takes me :) Enjoying the Bachman books at the moment. Read The Long Walk a few months back and really enjoyed it. Read The Running Man last week, both books have similar enough concepts, set in dystopian America, very Battle Royale-esque.

Currently reading Rage, which SK actually let go out of print as it was associated with some high school shootings in the 80s and 90s. Next on the list is Roadwork.

Read the running man a while back and I really enjoyed it. I would like to get my hands on a copy of rage at some point. Is yours in the Bachman Books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. It's an interesting look at the Henry the VIII/Anne Bolyen/Thomas Cromwell/Bishop of York story.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

KH25 wrote: »
    Read the running man a while back and I really enjoyed it. I would like to get my hands on a copy of rage at some point. Is yours in the Bachman Books?

I downloaded them
    totally legally <_<
    . It was one big folder of most of SK's titles and the Bachman ones were amongst them, each as a separate book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mike Tysons Undisputed Truth.
    Not the most high brow book ive ever read, but bloody entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

The Butcher by Jennifer Hillier. It's good so far, only started it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, wanted to read it before the David Fincher movie with Ben Affleck (Nothing to do with Gone, Baby, Gone) adaptation comes out next month.
    So far its reading like a story tailor made for a safe movie version….good looking young couple, mysterious disappearance, flashbacks… but Fincher says he will put a different spin on it, so hopefully he’ll make it darker than the book is, so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

D-FENS wrote: »
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, wanted to read it before the David Fincher movie with Ben Affleck (Nothing to do with Gone, Baby, Gone) adaptation comes out next month.
    So far its reading like a story tailor made for a safe movie version….good looking young couple, mysterious disappearance, flashbacks… but Fincher says he will put a different spin on it, so hopefully he’ll make it darker than the book is, so far anyway.

Yeah, wait til you finish it...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Perfedia by James Ellroy.

I re-read Bloods A Rover last month ahead of the release of Perfedia and to get my ear re-tuned to Ellroys writing style. So far this is pretty good but missing that Ellroy spark of genius, it’s more verbose than his previous books and isn’t as instantly addictive as Bloods A Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. It's an interesting look at the Henry the VIII/Anne Bolyen/Thomas Cromwell/Bishop of York story.

I'm reading that at the moment too. I've heard it's fantastic but I struggle to keep up with the narrative style sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

I read that a few months ago and thought it was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, wait til you finish it...

Ah, ok, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Star Trek: Vanguard - book 4 of 9 - Open Secrets by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dimore. David Mack wrote most of the series and several other Star Trek books I really enjoyed reading, Dayton and Kevin so far aren't really doing it for me, but I'll read on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

diograis wrote: »
    hate for it? I thought it was brilliant, what did people not like about? I've a fairly sarcastic sense of humour though. I also love how it was banned here back in the day :P

Didn't know it was banned.

Yeah - there are a few posts on this thread by people who really disliked it.

As I thought it has grown on me. Did take a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm reading that at the moment too. I've heard it's fantastic but I struggle to keep up with the narrative style sometimes.

I've been reading a lot of Phillipa Gregory books recently, so I think I've adapted to the narrative style. I'd recommend her books too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

At the min I'm reading

Confessions of a sociopath
    Broken monsters
    The boy who never was (nearly finished)
    Naming Jack the Ripper ( New one based on the new evidence around the shawl)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides, yeah, not bad, prefer his other 2 books though.

Started 'Barracuda' by Christos Tsiolkas, enjoyable so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement