Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheSheriff wrote: »
    This is it exactly! The goods your buying are literally piled up in front of you at a ridiculous rate a la Dales Supermaket Sweep
    Shopping in Aldi/Lidl is not for everybody.
    minotour wrote: »
    Thats not actually bad. The main fault with pre-opening the bags is catching the lip as you pack, one slip and you lose precious seconds recovering. Maybe the setup was an issue but in terms of remembering them, we all remember to bring bags, that's set in stone these days.

i cant imagine those lads have ever experienced an aldi till rush thus they failed to see the true value.
    My sister goes in and fills a trolley so much that the staff seem to watch her and open a till just for her when she gets near the end of her shopping! A few times staff have offered to help her with her shopping or the Manager has offered to pack her shopping for her because she had her youngest with her but she is so used to it and has a great system, all light breads and other bulky but light items are put through first and they are put in 2 large bags at the till then thrown over to the window, then all the heavy stuff apart from fragile stuff is chucked in the trolley then eggs etc.

They usually spend €200+ a week in Aldi which absolutely packs out one trolley and they don't dawdle at the till so the staff always look after them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Does anyone on here work at Lidl? If so, would be interested in your thoughts on the accuracy of this hostile blog, containing various accounts by employees - the final article is by an Irish worker.

Edit: as is the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I pack at the till, I've developed a packing method that turns the tables and ensures that I'm ahead of the tiller and thus puts them under pressure, the panic on svetlana's face does be a sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I put food by category on the belt to facilitate packing at the far end. Was out in aldi today and the only one flustered was the deputy manager on the till :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Chucken wrote: »
    How many more times...you are not meant to pack your groceries at the till.

Already told yis, I only found out this ludicrous policy last week. Been shopping there years, though never a big shop, but sometimes big enough.

I've never heard of this system, never seen any signs, never been told about it, never been reprimanded for packing my bags at the till.... So I will continue to do it as we have always done in Ireland in a civilised manner.

Queing up in these places is always much much longer than any other shop, so I don't get where this whole speed craps is coming from cause it's slow..... Generally f all checkout operators. So they keep me waiting in the queue, I'll take my time and pack my bags in an orderly fassion rather than spending even more time flinging them at speed into the trolley togo over to a shelf to take them all back out again to pack them in bags..... No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I never shop in Lidl or Aldi so I wouldn't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Ruu wrote: »
    It's like Supermarket Sweep at Aldi sometimes minus Dale Winton.

Hey the next time your at a checkout and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could be having on supermarket sweep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I bring four teenagers and a large bed sheet with me - as the stuff comes off the belt, I hurl it into the sheet while the teenagers hold a corner each. When done we tie up the four corners and drag it out to the car. I also bring a catapult to fire the money at the cashier, saving precious milliseconds. We have it down to a fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

stevieob wrote: »
    Already told yis, I only found out this ludicrous policy last week.

Well now you've been fully informed so your next post will be to tell us how you felt all eyes on you as you take your time the next time. Ha ha!! :pac:

However, I also dismiss the repacking stage, and pack into the boot, and there are a few variations mentioned already.

I had adopted this policy after they brought in the plastic bag charging policy. Previously security would not let people out of stores unless the shopping was packed. I bet you never knew that either! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

so is having a bit of room behind the till for the checkout girl/boy to put your groceries while you bag them.

it takes me longer in lidl/adlie because of the lack of room

Did you never wonder why their tills are designed in such a way so that the trolley fits neatly behind the cashier? You pull in, load up your trolley (I am a bags open in the bottom of the trolley shopper) and head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You're not supposed to pack at the till, that's what the shelved area behind the till is for.

Oh I thought that was for the kids to sit on and shout at their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Oh I thought that was for the kids to sit on and shout at their parents.

I made love to my female compatriot up on top of one at the end of a very successful shopping trip. There was a deal on condoms and we bought more than we could carry so... up ya boy ya!

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did you never wonder why their tills are designed in such a way so that the trolley fits neatly behind the cashier? You pull in, load up your trolley (I am a bags open in the bottom of the trolley shopper) and head off.

Nope. Often thought how stupid it was to be so small but never wondered why..... Just figured it was bad planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Queing up in these places is always much much longer than any other shop, so I don't get where this whole speed craps is coming from cause it's slow

Gee, I wonder why...
    I'll take my time and pack my bags

Nope. Often thought how stupid it was to be so small but never wondered why..... Just figured it was bad planning

Open your mind, think different. We have such a variety of shopping now that's wonderful, go to SuperValu if you want pampering and whilst some items will actually match ALDI a few won't so you pay a little more and so forth.

ALDI are like a warehouse that the public access, it's not by chance that some of the aisle are made up entirely of palleted goods, off the truck to the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

but this might be something people are used to on the continent. it's a new concept here (yea I know they have been here a few years now) but still most of us do our shopping in normal civilised supermarkets. even in dunnes the checkout girl will almost always help you pack your bags (except the last one who happened to be african)

i never spotted any signs to go to the window to pack my bags and nobody ever told me to. if they did, i'd tell them where to go.

!

Civilised/not civilised.. You seem to have it all covered :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

and men saying "jayus, for 15 quid, who doesn't need an angle grinder and a wet suit?"

Who else just read that in Dara Ó Briain's accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

If you regularly go to LIDL like me, on the odd time you pop into Tescos it always seems like they're scanning your stuff through in slow motion.

Give me the speed of LIDL any day, I've got sh:t to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

smash wrote: »
    This really gets to me. Their fruit and veg have no expiry dates and they last feck all time when you get them home. It's also more expensive than Tesco where for example, you can get a bag of apples, bag of oranges and a bag of bananas for €3 all in.

Do tesco print expiry dates on their loose fruit and veg now? Can you not tell yourself when fruit and veg is if edible quality? Sure lidl and aldi do weekly specials on fruit and veg too, you'd never ever get 2 punnets of rasberries in tesco for €3.

• Advertisement

I generally do go to the other supermarkets... I'm just giving my opinions, not saying anything bad about these places, they do a job and they do it well, but for me I only pop in when I'm passing and need to do a shop, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

And Lidl and aldie are slow at the tills cause there is always no more than 2 or maybe 3 open with loads of people and not because I take my time, I already said I dont do big shops there, just the basics. In other supermarkets, when it's busy they get extra people on the tills.

If litl and aldie want speed, why don't they just introduce scan it yourself tills?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

On the contrary, very good planning. When Lidl first opened here, the cashiers would scan and put the goods straight into the trolley, so you didn't even have the option of putting them into a bag in the trolley, you had to go to the packing area. They also used to have signs up indicating the packing area, I guess they've been here so long now, they've removed those signs, assuming customers understand the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Who else just read that in Dara Ó Briain's accent?
    Dara O'Briain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

This fast Aldi\Lidl system does not work for elderly people. Also, not everyone needs a trolley, a simple empty bag worth will do. Its impossible to carry a bagless full of shopping from the till to the packing area to be put into the bag, it has to be thrown into the bag at the till as you're not allowed to bring the basket passed the till. No worries impatient people I always have the bag open at the till ready to chuck my shopping in so you wouldn't get upset :)

A tip to relieve to pressure at the till, always pay by card, it buys seconds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Tzardine wrote: »
    I can't stand aldi / lidl but my other half insists on buying her fruit and veg and some other bits there.

I say turn this pressure with packing back onto them. I refuse to pack my stuff away from the till on that retarded shelf. Out of protest I will actually not pack a single thing until I have paid. Watching the cashier stack everything up on the tiny space is a joy to behold. Its kinda like playing jenga in reverse.

You Sir are an evil genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Lidl and Aldi are both low cost models. They're not luxury. They're the Ryanair of retail. While the quality of the food is rarely compromised, the shopping experience is. You don't stroll around at a leisurely pace, comparing 10 brands of coffee for 10 euros each. You fly around, pick up your coffee for 2 euros and whatever else you want, and you get the **** out to leave room for the next punter. Low cost model. Get with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Less the till speed, more the fact everyone of them I go into seems to require me to go through a till to get out, even if I'm not buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I generally do go to the other supermarkets... I'm just giving my opinions, not saying anything bad about these places, they do a job and they do it well, but for me I only pop in when I'm passing and need to do a shop, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

And Lidl and aldie are slow at the tills cause there is always no more than 2 or maybe 3 open with loads of people and not because I take my time, I already said I dont do big shops there, just the basics. In other supermarkets, when it's busy they get extra people on the tills.

If litl and aldie want speed, why don't they just introduce scan it yourself tills?

Extra tills are opened if there are more than 5 people in each queue.

, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

Sorry now, but we are talking about supermarkets I don't know of this chain.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Extra tills are opened if there are more than 5 people in each queue.

Well not anytime I've ever been there

Advertisement