Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brace yourself for the ultimate life hack in Aldi/Lidl.

Get a plastic box large enough to cover the base of the trolley. Fill this up while shopping.
    Go to checkout, unload onto conveyour belt with solid/large items first.
    When scanning, fill the plastic box in the trolley again.
    Walk out of the shop (after paying) like a boss.

No bags, no packing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You are still in Tesco/Wipe me a**e mode if you expect to pack your shopping at the till!

Chuck it all into the trolley then pay and take trolley to the window where there is a big shelf for packing sorting and relaxing:D

There's a jacuzzi and massage chair at the shelves in my local Lidl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Just back from Lidil there for the ould weekly shop

Does anyone else feel immense pressure at the till to try and get everything packed and pay the guy/gal?

Its as if they shoot a gun to initiate a start as soon as they scan the first item and its you against them.

Can you pack fast enough to prevent the build up of items on their miniature metal shelf?

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Brace yourself for the ultimate life hack in Aldi/Lidl.

Get a plastic box large enough to cover the base of the trolley. Fill this up while shopping.
    Go to checkout, unload onto conveyour belt with solid/large items first.
    When scanning, fill the plastic box in the trolley again.
    Walk out of the shop (after paying) like a boss.

No bags, no packing.

The box lives in the boot of the car? Suppose it could live in random cupboard and pull it out when needed........SOLD. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I like to queue behind bowsies who buy crisps and bread to make their cider buying look legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just back from Lidil there for the ould weekly shop

Does anyone else feel immense pressure at the till to try and get everything packed and pay the guy/gal?

Its as if they shoot a gun to initiate a start as soon as they scan the first item and its you against them.

Can you pack fast enough to prevent the build up of items on their miniature metal shelf?

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?

it's stupid. i generally don't shop there, but have done a few times... always a massive que at the tills and that in itself turns me off the place.
    You're not supposed to pack at the till, that's what the shelved area behind the till is for.

i was actually just making the same comments as the OP to a work colleague a couple of weeks back and he mentioned this concept to me.

Genuinely, I never knew this was the idea. there should be a dummy guide for people like me on "how to do your shopping in lidle & Aldie"

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

stevieob wrote: »
    ...... there should be a dummy guide for people like me on "how to do your shopping in lidle & Aldie"

There's usually sign all over the shop telling you about it but yeah, I dont take orders from arbitrary squiggles either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I always seem to get stuck behind the oul wan who has to rummage to get her purse from what seems like a tardis size bag. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I rarely see people take their shopping to the shelf behind the checkout.
    Don't use it myself.
    Don't see the point of unloading, loading, unloading and loading a full weeks shopping.
    Lidl/Aldi's time might be precious. But so is mine.

Hows that now?

Most of the people I see would have full trolleys, they always put the stuff back into it and pack it at the window, it would take all day to put it into bags at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lidil and Aldi are complete kips. I don't care what anyone says, the quality of the stock isn't good and they're generally not cheaper than the likes of Tesco or Supervalu. Plus they're customer service is bloody awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Isn't the fact that there is little or no area at the till End for shopping a giveaway that they don't want you packing your goods there. Dump them in the trolley and donut at the shelf like your supposed to.

Great comfort in Aldi, anytime I'm in SV there is someone talking to the cashier about babies or the kids in school, then when that's over they decide it's time to pack all the stuff into bags and then another 5 minutes after that go rooting around for money.

but this might be something people are used to on the continent. it's a new concept here (yea I know they have been here a few years now) but still most of us do our shopping in normal civilised supermarkets. even in dunnes the checkout girl will almost always help you pack your bags (except the last one who happened to be african)

i never spotted any signs to go to the window to pack my bags and nobody ever told me to. if they did, i'd tell them where to go.

i normally only go in for a wander and a look at their crap and either end up with a load of stuff i dont want or need, or else get nothing and have to do the walk of shame past the checkouts barging everyone out of the way.... they don't make it easy to get out if you buy nothing do they!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Hows that now?

Most of the people I see would have full trolleys, they always put the stuff back into it and pack it at the window, it would take all day to put it into bags at the till.

Do you shop at the Aldi on the Headford Rd Galway guy? There's always person there of a Romanian ethnicity asking for the €1 beside the trolley bay.

"Fcuk no motherfcuker, I've earned this €1. I've wheeled this bendy trolley around a shop for half an hour, it half full with groceries. I've also managed to get it up and down a little hill AND load it fast at the till. This €1 is mine". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Another thing that has been a success for me in the past.

After putting all your shopping on the belt, open up your bags in the trolley so they cover the base. Make sure they are open wide.

While the stuff is being fired at you, put it straight into the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I can't stand aldi / lidl but my other half insists on buying her fruit and veg and some other bits there.

I say turn this pressure with packing back onto them. I refuse to pack my stuff away from the till on that retarded shelf. Out of protest I will actually not pack a single thing until I have paid. Watching the cashier stack everything up on the tiny space is a joy to behold. Its kinda like playing jenga in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hows that now?

Load shopping onto conveyor.
    Open all the bags inside the trolley while waiting in queue.
    Put shopping into bags as its scanned.
    Simples.

Thinkin of getting these https://trolleybags.ie/ for an easier life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

jamesbere wrote: »
    I challenge the check-out girl, can she scan faster then I can pack.

This!

I'm a freak at the till in Aldi. Like, full blown, high speed, almost out of screen-space TETRIS freak.

Love the Aldi model... No chat, no dicking about... Shop. Queue. Pay. Gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

DVDM93 wrote: »
    This €1 is mine". :)

We have to put in a €2 coin. So we fight even harder! :)

• Advertisement

its always been this way in aldi anyway

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've heard the guys who work the tills are timed as to how long each transaction takes - therefore you see insane speeds.

It resulted in a carton of smashed eggs all over the floor the last time we were in Aldi. :(

It was the same when I worked in superquinn 15 years ago!
    theyd put a print out up at the end of each month so everyone could see how **** your were.
    Then they'll call you aside to tell you your till was short :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tzardine wrote: »
    I can't stand aldi / lidl but my other half insists on buying her fruit and veg and some other bits there.

This really gets to me. Their fruit and veg have no expiry dates and they last feck all time when you get them home. It's also more expensive than Tesco where for example, you can get a bag of apples, bag of oranges and a bag of bananas for €3 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

stevieob wrote: »
    but

I was with you until this.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I was with you until this.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've heard the guys who work the tills are timed as to how long each transaction takes - therefore you see insane speeds.

It resulted in a carton of smashed eggs all over the floor the last time we were in Aldi. :(

Heard the same before from a guy who went for a group job interview for one of Lidl's graduate schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    While the stuff is being fired at you, .

This is it exactly! The goods your buying are literally piled up in front of you at a ridiculous rate a la Dales Supermaket Sweep

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Do you shop at the Aldi on the Headford Rd Galway guy? There's always person there of a Romanian ethnicity asking for the €1 beside the trolley bay.

"Fcuk no motherfcuker, I've earned this €1. I've wheeled this bendy trolley around a shop for half an hour, it half full with groceries. I've also managed to get it up and down a little hill AND load it fast at the till. This €1 is mine". :)

Yeah I do see them there all right, they aint gettin my euro though!

This is it exactly! The goods your buying are literally piled up in front of you at a ridiculous rate a la Dales Supermaket Sweep

But surely you can hand-to-hand to a trolley as quick as the checkout person can hand-to-hand from belt, over scanner to pickup area.
    If you are ready, it can run smoothly.

As a few people have said, the times are monitored, so it's in the checkout persons interest to keep scanning. They do also slow down if you are struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Myself and the wife were in Aldi earlier and out of the blue she says, "You're one lazy b4stard"!!!!!!!

Well, I nearly fell out of the trolley......

Advertisement