Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Options
  • 23-09-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Just back from Lidil there for the ould weekly shop

Does anyone else feel immense pressure at the till to try and get everything packed and pay the guy/gal?

Its as if they shoot a gun to initiate a start as soon as they scan the first item and its you against them.

Can you pack fast enough to prevent the build up of items on their miniature metal shelf?

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You're not supposed to pack at the till, that's what the shelved area behind the till is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Roll on that pressure. People dawdling at tills drive me nutz.
    Count your pennies at home old lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheSheriff wrote: »

Does anyone else feel immense pressure at the till to try and get everything packed and pay the guy/gal?

Its as if they shoot a gun to initiate a start as soon as they scan the first item and its you against them.

Can you pack fast enough to prevent the build up of items on their miniature metal shelf?

You are still in Tesco/Wipe me a**e mode if you expect to pack your shopping at the till!

Chuck it all into the trolley then pay and take trolley to the window where there is a big shelf for packing sorting and relaxing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Yeah I don't think you should pack at the till. they have the shelf behind the tills for packing. No rush then

• Registered Users Posts: 20,203 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well they do get through customers very quickly, and if that is what we have to put up with for there low prices, it's worth it.

I'm quite used it at this stage , just have to have the bags ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

They pack your bags for you in Fallon and Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I challenge the check-out girl, can she scan faster then I can pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Less time spent at the till=fewer staff=lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Why don't they play some kind of music? It can't be THAT much cheaper to have the place so silent.

Its usually just a wash of foreign accents and men saying "jayus, for 15 quid, who doesn't need an angle grinder and a wet suit?"

In regards to the bag packing, I always go with my missus, so we usually get it all bagged and paid nice and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've heard the guys who work the tills are timed as to how long each transaction takes - therefore you see insane speeds.

It resulted in a carton of smashed eggs all over the floor the last time we were in Aldi. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Id only ever have a bag full of stuff (single lad), wouldnt see much point in lumping it into a trolley and then packing (id never even have a trolley) - never really knew the window areas where designated official packing zones!

How I must have been spoiled in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

They time how long it takes the cashier to complete transactions and it affects their pay with small bonuses for faster transactions.

(Applied and got a job in Aldi once, never ended up working there but that was on the forms they gave me).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I EAT PRESSURE AND SH/TE RESULTS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pick two or three handy items and remove the barcode sticker, stick them from middle to back on the belt and you'll get all the time you need

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Soups123 wrote: »
    Pick two or three handy items and remove the barcode sticker, stick them from middle to back on the belt and you'll get all the time you need

Do you even shop in Aldi / Lidl?
    The barcode is all over the pack!
    It makes for much easier scanning.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you even shop in Aldi / Lidl?
    The barcode is all over the pack!
    It makes for much easier scanning.

Couple of handy items, tin of dog fund with the paper label, banana's tube coleslaw all easily removed! you only need 2/3 and its back in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I have the right stuff, I dump everything on the conveyor and then shout at my wife to take the money out of her purse NOW, she usually jumps, what's this about women and checkouts when they are asked for the money, they jump and look around and fuss and flap and eventually find a purse and then the thing has to be packed away again.

I then just shove everything back into the trolley and my wife has already got her change and we're off out the gap like and sometimes we actually get applause from other aisles as they continue to queue needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I have the right stuff, I dump everything on the conveyor and then shout at my wife to take the money out of her purse NOW, she usually jumps, what's this about women and checkouts when they are asked for the money, they jump and look around and fuss and flap and eventually find a purse and then the thing has to be packed away again.

I then just shove everything back into the trolley and my wife has already got her change and we're off out the gap like and sometimes we actually get applause from other aisles as they continue to queue needlessly.

Sorry love, it won't happen again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I can open another till in Lidl with my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Id only ever have a bag full of stuff (single lad), wouldnt see much point in lumping it into a trolley and then packing (id never even have a trolley)
    I would be the same, I go in with a backpack and would have stuff in it already like jumpers or trousers or delicate things. My trick is while the person in front is paying I leg it over to the counter and dump stuff out of my bag, so it is empty and ready to fill. I place stuff on the belt in the exact order I want it to go into the bag, so heavy stuff first. Then I can put my jumpers etc back in at the end.

Another trick is leaving mulitple items in the basket, they then scan 1 and pass you over the whole basket. I do this with beer.

I love the policy, there is a small young girl in my local one who is like a machine, its amazing to see her in action! I pride my self scanning skills too. You see some eejits lifting up products and looking all over them to find the barcodes, and then scan them, often its quicker to just blindly roll the product around the scanning area and most of the time it just scans.
    Why don't they play some kind of music?
    They should play this if you are try to pack as it comes off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Oh I can hear the shrill sound of that bell now, cutting up through the thick silence of the store, and the glower of my queue-comrades intensifying and focusing like a laser beam on the face of the offender who is trying to buy the barcode-less item. The acrid smell of awkwardness and shame pervades and lingers yet even in the very tarmac of the carpark.

topper75 wrote: »
    Oh I can hear the shrill sound of that bell now, cutting up through the thick silence of the store, and the glower of my queue-comrades intensifying and focusing like a laser beam on the face of the offender who is trying to buy the barcode-less item. The acrid smell of awkwardness and shame pervades and lingers yet even in the very tarmac of the carpark.

As the offender I just stand there and shake my head in disapointment at the store, give the watch a glance or two and a couple more shakes of the head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

That's the way to do it, we complained bitterly and threatened not to shop at our local Aldi after they had that tannoy noise "Aisle 5 now open customers please got o aisle 5" "Aisle 5 now closing customers please go to aisle 3, 4 or 6"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Another trick of mine is standing a few steps back from the (large) person in front of me if the queue is reasonably long, I then stick my head out to the side and make eye contact with the cashier, they presumably think the queue is longer than it is and that there's 1 or 2 small people in front of me as I'm so far back.

Then they ring the bell and another till opens soon enough -then the real battle commences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

rubadub wrote: »
    I place stuff on the belt in the exact order I want it to go into the bag, so heavy stuff first.

feck, how did i miss this trick? +1 internets to you sir.
    now i will have time to tap my fingers waiting for the checkout person

Why don't they play some kind of music? It can't be THAT much cheaper to have the place so silent.
    Get yourself an ipod, they usually have mp3 players on sale a few times a year, check the specials!
    Its usually just a wash of foreign accents and men saying "jayus, for 15 quid, who doesn't need an angle grinder and a wet suit?"

In regards to the bag packing, I always go with my missus, so we usually get it all bagged and paid nice and quick.
    You could probably make a few euro renting her out(for bag packing!) at the shelf in your local Aldi/Lidl
    Id only ever have a bag full of stuff (single lad), wouldnt see much point in lumping it into a trolley and then packing (id never even have a trolley) - never really knew the window areas where designated official packing zones!
    grab a basket if the store has them or find a box when you go in and use that for your few items and that will be easier to throw the few things into at the till(unless you are one of those people that try to take more than 10 items through in the express tills in Tesco!).
    How I must have been spoiled in the past!
    Spoiled Rotten:D Don't worry the Germans will knock that nonsense out of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don,t think that Aldi or Lidl try to have less staff they have a lot off employees they just have there employees doing more. So if there is no one buying stuff at the till then the employee go do something else like cleaning the floor or stacking shelfs. Unlike somewhere like Dunnes or Tesco where some just do the tills and others shelf stacking. I think you should not go to the till in any shop untill you have your money and bag ready. It should be in and out quick as you can no matter what shop you ae in. There is nothing more annoying than someone taking half an hour just to pay for something especially when they were waiting in a que and they had pleanty of time to get the money ready to pay.

rubadub wrote: »
    Then they ring the bell and another till opens soon enough -then the real battle commences.

Ah the Aldi/Lidl sweepstakes hurdles, You got to be in it to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

loose fruit and veg in the middle of your belt load buys you a few crucial seconds too.

I see some ninja level shoppers on this thread, i was once like you, lately Ive relaxed and now i do the packing at the boot of the car. I still use my car key to get the trolley though, means not having to put the trolley back and you look boss, you're welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I rarely see people take their shopping to the shelf behind the checkout.
    Don't use it myself.
    Don't see the point of unloading, loading, unloading and loading a full weeks shopping.
    Lidl/Aldi's time might be precious. But so is mine.

Advertisement