Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

stevieob wrote: »
    why?

Puzzled me too, think it might be a stab at your starting a post with "but", dunno?? There's another one, lets see if that draws him out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some lad on Dragon's Den a while bag had an idea for these large shopping bags that had rails running through the top edges of the bags. The rails had a lip that would sit over the top of the trolley and keep the bags open. Each trolley would hold two such bags. They would allow you to fire in the shopping even faster than the cashiers could scan it and then you could just transfer in one lift to your boot/kitchen floor. The dragons didn't care for it though as an idea to back - too much setup and 'remembering the damn thing' hassle. They were probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is why I shop online with home delivery any more.
    Less interaction with the commoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

topper75 wrote: »
    Some lad on Dragon's Den a while bag had an idea for these large shopping bags that had rails running through the top edges of the bags. The rails had a lip that would sit over the top of the trolley and keep the bags open. Each trolley would hold two such bags. They would allow you to fire in the shopping even faster than the cashiers could scan it and then you could just transfer in one lift to your boot/kitchen floor. The dragons didn't care for it though as an idea to back - too much setup and 'remembering the damn thing' hassle. They were probably right.

linked above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

The last time was there, I realised the guy behind me was a sh1t packer. :pac:

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »

Thats not actually bad. The main fault with pre-opening the bags is catching the lip as you pack, one slip and you lose precious seconds recovering. Maybe the setup was an issue but in terms of remembering them, we all remember to bring bags, that's set in stone these days.

i cant imagine those lads have ever experienced an aldi till rush thus they failed to see the true value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They time how long it takes the cashier to complete transactions and it affects their pay with small bonuses for faster transactions.
    I wish they could somehow do the same for customers. Like link it to a loyalty card, which I know lidl/aldi do not currently have.

But you would finish shopping and it would register you are a fast customer, and know you are not wilfully delaying all the others in the queue like several posters here say they purposely do. So they could open a special express line with fast cashiers and no slow people should be in front of you. You would scan your card to be eligible to join the line or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

I just steal one of the massive clear bags that the loo roll is stored in there, and throw all of my shopping in there! Bitch when it breaks though!

rubadub wrote: »
    I wish they could somehow do the same for customers. Like link it to a loyalty card, which I know lidl/aldi do not currently have.

But you would finish shopping and it would register you are a fast customer, and know you are not wilfully delaying all the others in the queue like several posters here say they purposely do. So they could open a special express line with fast cashiers and no slow people should be in front of you. You would scan your card to be eligible to join the line or something.

and gradually they become the behemoths they dethroned.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Look where I just was :D now I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here but eh, I packed my bags in 17.3 seconds and not once did I feel under any bit of pressure. Not bad ass enough for you no? I kept my €1.

*girls, feel free to PM me x

edit: the girl serving me was giving me an odd look and only then I realised how bizarre it must have looked. Me standing there taking a picture of the shelves, I had to pretend it was broke and scratched the screen of the phone as if to wipe dirt or a glare off it. Don't ask :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They time how long it takes the cashier to complete transactions and it affects their pay with small bonuses for faster transactions.

(Applied and got a job in Aldi once, never ended up working there but that was on the forms they gave me).

This is true, it results in a nice bonus at year end, if you're quick. My stepson works in an aldi and was quite surprised at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Another thing that has been a success for me in the past.

After putting all your shopping on the belt, open up your bags in the trolley so they cover the base. Make sure they are open wide.

While the stuff is being fired at you, put it straight into the bags.

As an ex-professional bag packer (worked in superquinn back in the day); I relish the weekly challenge of not only keeping up with the till operator but also keeping everything nicely separated to make unpacking at home easier.

My key steps:
    1. Group things on the belt; My categories are usually fruit'n'veg, bread, dry goods, fridge, raw.
    2. Try and put heavier items toward front in each category
    3. Layout bags in trolley, open and ready to go. I usually go for 1 bag per category. But mix the dry goods and bread. Too much dry goods is too heavy in a bag, so I put it at the bottom, with some bread on top. Fruit and Veg gets its on very large bag, as it's light but voluminous.
    4. Pack straight into bags and off you go!

Then when you get home, each bag empties straight into its own cupboard. Easy!

Made my day when the checkout lady complimented my packing skills a few weeks ago! The Gf was stitches laughing at my level of chuffedness!

This is all very sad, isn't it?!

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Look where I just was :D now I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here but eh, I packed my bags in 17.3 seconds and not once did I feel under any bit of pressure. Not bad ass enough for you no? I kept my €1.

*girls, feel free to PM me x

edit: the girl serving me was giving me an odd look and only then I realised how bizarre it must have looked. Me standing there taking a picture of the shelves, I had to pretend it was broke and scratched the screen of the phone as if to wipe dirt or a glare off it. Don't ask :D

There's no booze in that trolley, FAIL!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The biggest aggravation is the amazing number of people who are surprised by being asked to pay for their shopping!
    They stand stock still for a second or two, then put down their shopping bag, and search for the purse. Then, carefully keeping the purse close to their body (like you would a Straight Royal Flush) they extract a number of notes, one at a time. When the transaction is complete, the entire money,purse,bag routine is repeated in reverse order.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

The key to efficent packing is all in how you lay out the items on the belt. You need to have the stackable items up first item such as milk, OJ, boxes etc generally packing these to the base of the bag will usually ensure that the bag opens sufficently to avoid the dreaded lips kiss. Next up is the 'throwable items next such most fruit + veg and bagged items , having these second allows you to make up time for kissed lips on bags and general slip ups in the stackable stage and finally the delicate items last; such as eggs, small berrysand bread etc that you can carefully top off your bags with, as you wait for payment to be taken off your card. :D

minotour wrote: »

That's not my trolley, I only had a few bits to get. That said, I had no booze :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RoboRat

You need one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Hooked wrote: »
    This!

I'm a freak at the till in Aldi. Like, full blown, high speed, almost out of screen-space TETRIS freak.

Love the Aldi model... No chat, no dicking about... Shop. Queue. Pay. Gone!

Those last four words should be on your headstone

minotour wrote: »

I'm sure ya'd get a buzz off drinking the washing detergent too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

What the Victorians would have called performing with dispatch.....

I cannot stand timewasters in queues at banks, supermarkets etc who ask a 1000 questions and delay everyone behind them with screw ups like no barcode, torn packaging, "last minute" buys etc....or wrong or no documentation etc.

I realised that there must be some electronic monitoring of performance because of the speed at which the scanners work, glad it is a bonus scheme rather than a penalty/ lose your job scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Aldi had a deal a few weeks back. 8 legs of venison for €29.99.

When I got to the till I told the cashier , that's two deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Worse than hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

doolox wrote: »
    I realised that there must be some electronic monitoring of performance because of the speed at which the scanners work, glad it is a bonus scheme rather than a penalty/ lose your job scheme.

1,500 items an hour is the scan target in Aldi, and if you consistently miss it, you will be issued a warning.

I genuinely don't know why some people on this thread are so affronted at the thought of having to pack their bags at the shelf. It's a system, and a very efficient one, nothing more. They're not deliberately trying to insult you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It's like Supermarket Sweep at Aldi sometimes minus Dale Winton.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    1,500 items an hour is the scan target in Aldi, and if you consistently miss it, you will be issued a warning.

I genuinely don't know why some people on this thread are so affronted at the thought of having to pack their bags at the shelf. It's a system, and a very efficient one, nothing more. They're not deliberately trying to insult you.

so is having a bit of room behind the till for the checkout girl/boy to put your groceries while you bag them.

it takes me longer in lidl/adlie because of the lack of room

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

so is having a bit of room behind the till for the checkout girl/boy to put your groceries while you bag them.

Which slows down the whole process. The entire point of the system is that you get the hell out of the way and they can be serving the next customer in the time that you would otherwise spend standing there packing your bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

rubadub wrote: »

Ah yes, but imagine if you weren't offered the card (maybe you're not as fast as you think you are) - queuing in an ordinary line like a schnook (with the lumpen and slack-jawed proletariat) while The Chosen are on life's fast lane!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Which slows down the whole process. The entire point of the system is that you get the hell out of the way and they can be serving the next customer in the time that you would otherwise spend standing there packing your bags.

read my whole comment.. it does not slow down the whole process... I am quicker in Dunnes etc.

Anyway, I generally go to Superquinn and use their scan it and bag it machines.... soooo much more handy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

it takes me longer in lidl/adlie because of the lack of room

How many more times...you are not meant to pack your groceries at the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I shop in Dunnes, I like them.
    I shop in TESCO, I like them.
    I shop in SuperValu, I like them.
    I shop in ALDI, I like them.
    I shop in LIDL, I like them.
    I Shop Local, I like them.

Advertisement