Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Lo and behold it arrived this morning, it's a very nice watch indeed, it makes my trusty battered and worn 410 look ancient.
    Now I probably need to take two days off work just to figure out how to use it.

Once again thanks to the providers of the link and the discount code...

Now I had better go use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Just FYI in case anyone is looking:

Cycle Supertore in Tallaght have them in stock for 444/463 (standard/HRM versions). That's a decent price for a B&M store. Also very decent when you see the equivalent prices for the 920 XT (481/518).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What discount code are people using for cotsworld?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What discount code are people using for cotsworld?

nt14

From copacetic (on a one man mission to bankrupt Cotswold :D)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's giving 10% off alright,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mine got it's inaugural spin this afternoon. Very impressed so far. I had hoped the new HR strap might remove any spikes, but for the first mile I was averaging 180-190bmp as usual. A little disgusted with the marathon predictor figure it gave me (3:00:04), based on my calculated V02max of 55, but expect it will drop over the coming weeks (or the watch is going in the bin. :)).

Good stuff, I'll be well impressed if you guys don't report any bugs or quirks with it over the next few days and weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Thanx for all the help on the tread,just ordered it now from Cotswold for €445,i couldn't find it cheaper.

Good stuff, I'll be well impressed if you guys don't report any bugs or quirks with it over the next few days and weeks.

I can't get the music controls to do anything and can't see anything online about it ��

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I can't get the music controls to do anything and can't see anything online about it ��

I can't help you there, my phone isn't compatible with the bluetooth smart technology (HTC One M7), so I have no idea about these settings.
    I'll report back when I get myself a Samsung Galaxy S6!

I managed to get this working with my tablet as a test, I installed Garmin Connect on my Android tablet, and let the watch sync I got a pop up on the tablet asking to allow Garmin Connect to display notifications, I ticked the box beside Garmin Connect
    Once I did that under Widgets I now have Music Controls as a widget, and they work fine with my tablet.
    The up and down buttons scroll between, play/pause, next track, previous track, vol up and vol down. The start/stop button controls whichever one you have highlighted.. it's a pretty neat feature.

kao123 wrote: »
    I managed to get this working with my tablet as a test, I installed Garmin Connect on my Android tablet, and let the watch sync I got a pop up on the tablet asking to allow Garmin Connect to display notifications, I ticked the box beside Garmin Connect
    Once I did that under Widgets I now have Music Controls as a widget, and they work fine with my tablet.
    The up and down buttons scroll between, play/pause, next track, previous track, vol up and vol down. The start/stop button controls whichever one you have highlighted.. it's a pretty neat feature.

Interesting. I have the music widget on the watch, which is connected to the phone - it gets notifications and syncs etc., but the music controls just don't work :(

Edit: Correction, it works on the stock music app on iOS, but not xbox music, which is what I was using.
    Edit: It doesn't work for Spotify either.

Interesting. I have the music widget on the watch, which is connected to the phone - it gets notifications and syncs etc., but the music controls just don't work :(

Edit: Correction, it works on the stock music app on iOS, but not xbox music, which is what I was using.

I had only tried it on the google play app which is the stock Android one, so at least we know that now.
    I'm sure someone will probably address the likes of Spotify with a 3rd party Connect IQ app.

You guys considered taking it for a run? :D

:D did that twice. First time was fine, recorded everything, GPS tracking was quite off. Yesterday, it recorded the wrong start time and didn't produce a map - I was worried that the reps I was doing were not accurate, but Garmin Connect verifies that they were.

Also, Garmin Connect reckons I need a software update to 3.10, but watch knows I already have it.

The Music controls are a nice to have - I'm usually listening to playlists, so they are all tracks selected by me because I like them :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just FYI in case anyone is looking:

Cycle Supertore in Tallaght have them in stock for 444/463 (standard/HRM versions). That's a decent price for a B&M store. Also very decent when you see the equivalent prices for the 920 XT (481/518).

mmm - I'm eligible for the bike to work scheme again, a nice watch and a cheap mountain bike for €500 :pac:

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    mmm - I'm eligible for the bike to work scheme again, a nice watch and a cheap mountain bike for €500 :pac:

and sure it's your birthday, go for it ;)

One thing to check is, are you getting lap data on Strava. I contacted Strava support last year and they hadn't figured that out yet for the Fenix 2

Hee hee... yup just back from one actually, I'm liking it so far.
    The GPS seems to have been bang on and interestingly on the 1K laps it was very consistent with my running buddies 610 where as my 410 was never in sync with others, there was always a delay.
    Now to figure out how to use the Vo2 stuff.

The Music controls are a nice to have - I'm usually listening to playlists, so they are all tracks selected by me because I like them :cool:.
    Works fine for me on a Samsung S5,. It'll launch Google Music, and as long as there's a playlist selected or something is playing, the controls work fine.

Haven't had any problems with accuracy so far. Very Impressed with the Satellite acquire time and the instantaneous Wifi upload. Battery life is extremely impressive too. Activity track is a little....pointless. Barometric pressure, temperature, altimeter... all pretty useless.. Compass seems to work pretty well. Notifications are handy.

• Advertisement

One thing to check is, are you getting lap data on Strava. I contacted Strava support last year and they hadn't figured that out yet for the Fenix 2

I synced up to Strava as well and the laps are showing ok for me.

kao123 wrote: »
    I synced up to Strava as well and the laps are showing ok for me.

Including when doing reps? 10 x 400 for example.

Including when doing reps? 10 x 400 for example.

Oh, I haven't tried yet, I use the 1K as my laps for my runs, I haven't upped my game enough yet this year.

You mean auto-lap data, manual laps, or workouts? Auto-laps seems fine. Will try out the manual and workouts tomorrow.

You mean auto-lap data, manual laps, or workouts? Auto-laps seems fine. Will try out the manual and workouts tomorrow.

Any lap where it's not based on your standard metric or imperial set up.
    Here's the trouble ticket response I received previously, with the relevant starva and garmin links.
    Ashley, Oct 07 04:36 PM:
    Hi Dominic,

Sorry for the delay! I believe that the lap data in this device is formatted in a slightly different manner than most files. We are aware of this issue, but I'm not sure of a timeframe for a fix. In the meantime, you should be able to export the TCX version and upload it to Strava to see laps.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Ashley
    Strava Support Team

Dominic Horan, Sep 29 11:12 AM:
    Hi,

I cannot seem to view my lap data on Strava, here is tonight's session of 6 x 1min hills, but it's only recording the mile as intervals.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/201121958
    Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/601854632

Using Fenix2.

Thanks

Dom

Actually it looks like it may have been fixed, as your Fenix 3 workouts do have a lap tab in the left hand anav, while my link above doesn't.
    Must try the Fenix 2 again in that regard.

and sure it's your birthday, go for it ;)

Picked up Mrs BB's new bike this morning ;)

Picked up Mrs BB's new bike this morning ;)

free watch ?

free watch ?

or bike, depending on what way you look at it.

Pulled the trigger on this in a moment of weakness. Stumbled across a 15% code bringing the price to 420.
    AF-AOSS-A9 I'd the code I used.

• Advertisement

Did you get this sorted? You need to select the default music pllayer in the GC app on your phone. You can select spotify or whatever in there.

Did you get this sorted? You need to select the default music pllayer in the GC app on your phone. You can select spotify or whatever in there.

I did not, and I feel a right plonker as I cannot find the option. The widget is there on the watch and it controls the default music player, but I can't see a way to change it (on iOS).

In the GC app, press menu and there is an icon near the bottom of the screen for settings (on android anyway) Beside the question mark for help.

Personally I can't get it to connect with Bluetooth at all.

Picked up a few straps, here's the blue

16475731894_5ba606fd26_z.jpg

you actually paid for that ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

16475731894_5ba606fd26_z.jpg

Oh, dear! It was such a cool looking watch!

I'm setting a trend - looks good on, will try the red later :)

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to buy new watches. :)

100 mile summary:
    OK, I've had the watch for around 9-10 days now and have covered just under 100 miles and completed two races. Am I still happy with the purchase? Yes, absolutely. Have felt no need to charge up the 910xt (must get around to selling it).
    Do I use all of the features of the watch? Nope.......

Positives:
    Love the looks (or more specifically, being able to use it as an every-day watch).
    Love the battery life (though I have managed to nuke the battery in 24 hours (bug related)
    Recovery Advisor - surprisingly seems to be pretty reasonable
    VO2max / race predictor - can't comment on the accuracy of the Vo2max estimates, but the race predictor is surprisingly accurate for my current race stats
    Compass - may not use it, but it seems to work well.
    Wifi upload - Superb. Works a treat
    Bluetooth connectivity - A necessary evil on occasion, but I'll be leaving bluetooth turned off from now on, as I really don't need e-mail/text notifications while I'm out running
    Customisability - Massive amount of customizability
    Hiking/navigation

Negatives:
    Altimeter/Barometer/Temperature - all crap. Temperature is the temperature of the skin around your wrist. Not terribly useful.

Neutral:
    Activity tracker - Not going to wear it in bed. Not really interested in how many steps I take each day. I run enough.
    Connect IQ: Haven't found anything particularly useful

Haven't tried:
    Some other modes like indoor running, swimming (indoor/outdoor)

Bugs:
    While I haven't had any issues with activity recording, I've had a number of issues with WIFI/Bluetooth uploads and connectivity. I've had a couple of system crashes that required a soft-reset.
    If you're using multiple bluetooth devices, than a notification/event on the watch can trigger/impact the other bluetooth connected devices in unusual/unexpected ways.

• Advertisement

Good post, I've only had mine a few days but the recovery seems way off, might take a few days to settle down. Today I stopped towards the end of the run to do some stretches. Resulned the workout out but it wasn't recognizing the HR monitor. Other than that it's been fine.

Bluetooth is handy for uploading to GC when you are out and about and I like the weather widget, works very well. Can't see myself using the other widgets.

Has anyone used the feature to Pause an activity and then to resume it later on?

It's one of the items in the menu. On Strava you end up with two separate workouts. On GC you end up with a "Multi-Sport" activity like some sort of Triathlete or something. The first part is running, the second part is also running. Not very well implemented unfortunately.

I ended up manually edditing GPX files and re-uploading to strava as one running activity. As God intended.

Nope, but I did 'create a new app' this morning for track sessions. To be honest, it's more like creating a profile, but it's a great feature. I have a new activity-type called 'Run - Track' with a specific set of data fields to cover warm-up, lap-splits and stats and warm-down, with auto-lap turned off. Used to pi$$ me off, having to adjust the settings constantly for hitting the track.

Incidentally, the track place seems a lot closer to reality than I used to get with the 910xt - just two seconds/mile faster than reality over 4 laps. May be coincidence, but hopefully a reflection of more accurate data capture.

Nope, but I did 'create a new app' this morning for track sessions. To be honest, it's more like creating a profile, but it's a great feature. I have a new activity-type called 'Run - Track' with a specific set of data fields to cover warm-up, lap-splits and stats and warm-down, with auto-lap turned off. Used to pi$$ me off, having to adjust the settings constantly for hitting the track.

Incidentally, the track place seems a lot closer to reality than I used to get with the 910xt - just two seconds/mile faster than reality over 4 laps. May be coincidence, but hopefully a reflection of more accurate data capture.

Must pick your brains on that

Today I loaded up an advanced workout on the watch (transferred from Garmin Connect via bluetooth (mobile phone). Session was basically:
    Warm-up: 3 miles. 10 mins @MP, 7 mins @LT, 5 mins @10k, 3 mins @5k (with 3 mins easy between reps).

Problem was, by the time I got down to where I usually start these session (Kilbogget Park), the watch was only registering a distance of 2.7 miles. I know, from covering the route hundreds of times that it's 3 miles flat. Anyway, headed off for the first interval at marathon pace, and try as I might, I really had to work hard to hit marathon pace - I mean work really hard. It was a real struggle. Then into the easy paced recovery, and for some reason, I struggled to hit 8 minute miles. Then into the LT paced stuff, and I was working incredibly hard to get down to LT pace. Watch kept flashing up my current pace at me and I couldn't understand why. Then the 10k pace stuff. I was so far off the pace it was laughable. Figured there must be something wrong with the watch, so hit the cinder track for the final interval at 5k pace (but the damage was largely done).

Got back to work and uploaded the workout and it turns out that the watch never acquired a GPS lock (I'm not even sure it tried to) and instead was running off the acceleromater (essentially a treadmill workout). So all of the distances and pace numbers were quite divergent from reality. So I thought I would just post this up as a word of warning: Make sure you have a satellite lock before starting a workout. After you select your workout, and select [Do Workout], you then choose a profile (in my case [Run] and the next screen you get is 'Start the timer to begin workout'. If you click [Start] it begins immediately (without satellite lock). So not entirely sure how you're supposed to a workout based on satellite data, but will check the manual.. Still, it was a bloody good session. Just not sure how far or how fast....

If you upload to strava are the paces and distances the same as on GC?

How come you never got a GPS lock at all? That is pretty worrying to be honest. Surely it should have acquired satellites at some stage during the workout.

• Advertisement

*Edit*:
    Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem... May be a bug (specifically that custom workouts don't seek a satellite lock).

*Edit 2*: Workaround seems to be to launch the Run app, acquire a satellite lock, then go back to the [Training] / [My Workouts] screen, select your custom workout and go from there. Crappy Garmin QA teams..

Possibly another glitch, but haven't had time to look it up yet.
    Went for a run on Friday and didn't notice that the hrm didn't pick up before starting the activity. On previous watches this would pick up shortly into the activity, especially with it being a wet evening, but not on this occasion.
    Normal service was resumed Sat and today, so no battery issues, etc.

Looks like once you start an activity if you haven't picked up a GPS lock or sensors, it assumes that's how you want to record your activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Major Dad

Quick question - old Forerunner 305 has died and thinking of buying the Fenix 3 as a replacement. Will the heart rate strap from the Forerunner 305 work with the Fenix 3 ?
    Cheers

I think it will. But you won't get some of the fancy stats such as cadence/ground contact time etc. Not that they are all that useful.

Major Dad wrote: »
    Quick question - old Forerunner 305 has died and thinking of buying the Fenix 3 as a replacement. Will the heart rate strap from the Forerunner 305 work with the Fenix 3 ?
    Cheers

It's Ant+ so should work with no issues, but obviously won't give you any of the goodies you get with the newer HMs. I have not seen the fenix 3 anywhere on sale (in Ire/UK) without the strap though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement