Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I will be starting phase 1 shortly and I just have a few questions....

1. says in the Reserve information that phase 1 is mainly an introduction to Garda ethics and the force, yet some posters say that they have had self defence training at this phase, so what does actually happen?

2. Are you issued with a uniform at this phase or just measured.

3. Where does phase 2 take place, and at what point are you told the station you are to be assigned to?

All answers greatly appreciated!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

tucker1971 wrote: »
    I will be starting phase 1 shortly and I just have a few questions....

1. says in the Reserve information that phase 1 is mainly an introduction to Garda ethics and the force, yet some posters say that they have had self defence training at this phase, so what does actually happen?

2. Are you issued with a uniform at this phase or just measured.

3. Where does phase 2 take place, and at what point are you told the station you are to be assigned to?

All answers greatly appreciated!:)

1: It is mostly an introduction to the force as an institution as well as an introduction to basic Garda self defence. You should have no problem with this at all.

2: You are measured for your uniform which you collect in Phase three.

3: Phase two takes place in your local training station wherever that is in your division. It won't be far from where you live. You'll find out at the end of Phase one or at least I did.

I found phase 1 very interesting though I was nervous before I went down. It's good to meet up with the rest of the group that you'll be training with on Phase 1, 3 and 5.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, I also was wondering has anyone received any actual expenses payments yet, and what is the amount?

Just wondering after phase 1 it says there is training of 56 hours before phase 3 and then 40 hours on the beat in phase 4.
    Seeing as the time frame between phase 1 and graduation usually amounts to 2 and a half months I was just wondering how can it all be fitted in over such a short period of time?????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Just wondering after phase 1 it says there is training of 56 hours before phase 3 and then 40 hours on the beat in phase 4.
    Seeing as the time frame between phase 1 and graduation usually amounts to 2 and a half months I was just wondering how can it all be fitted in over such a short period of time?????:confused:

I can't see how that can be right, as your Phase 2 training of 56 hours of legal training is normally carried out over two evenings each week, with each class lasting 3 hours. At six hours a week, that means your looking at a minimum of eight to nine weeks for Phase 2, unless of course they decide to do more than two classes per week. You will then require another weekend in Templemore for Phase 3, and unless you work two eight hour shifts every weekend, you will not complete Phase 4 in less than four weeks, so two and a half months for Phase 2 right through to graduation is not really possible unless you give up your day job, or put your normal life on hold for two and a half months.

• Advertisement

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I can't see how that can be right, as your Phase 2 training of 56 hours of legal training is normally carried out over two evenings each week, with each class lasting 3 hours. At six hours a week, that means your looking at a minimum of eight to nine weeks for Phase 2, unless of course they decide to do more than two classes per week. You will then require another weekend in Templemore for Phase 3, and unless you work two eight hour shifts every weekend, you will not complete Phase 4 in less than four weeks, so two and a half months for Phase 2 right through to graduation is not really possible unless you give up your day job, or put your normal life on hold for two and a half months.

I just discovered it is more spread out now, I think it was the initial set of reserves that were graduated after 2.5 months back in 2006.

On a different note are reserves issued with the old wooden baton or the new extendable one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

On a different note are reserves issued with the old wooden baton or the new extendable one???

All Gardai reserves or otherwise are issued with the old wooden baton, until such a time as they complete an intensive course on the new extendable baton (ASP). Some reserves have managed to get on this course along with their full time colleagues, although Garda management are looking into the possibility of running courses at the weekend for reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

so Pat am I the eldest at 54 in May?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

freddiew wrote: »
    so Pat am I the eldest at 54 in May?:)

beat you by couple months, know someone who is 59. so neither of us are.

I am going to templemore in March for first phase, so I was just wondering whats the story with accomodation down there, are we expected to share rooms or have we a room each?
    Also to the lads who are currently working with a unit, has anyone been involved in any violent confrontations or been assualted??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I am going to templemore in March for first phase, so I was just wondering whats the story with accomodation down there, are we expected to share rooms or have we a room each?
    Also to the lads who are currently working with a unit, has anyone been involved in any violent confrontations or been assualted??

Rooms are private but toilets/showers arent. templemore is actually a nice building and campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I thought trainee reserves stayed in a hotel in Templemore?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

yes reserves will be bussed out to a hotel in thurles on saturday night and collected again at 8 on sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Well I'm based in Dublin so have seen many a voilent confrontation however havent been assaulted physically yet, however when there is a public disorder situation it could be very easy to get hit with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Hi,dont think backround checks need to be done it depends how busy they are,some people do the medical and then dont get through,no gurantees,they do briefly check your teeth but only visually so would need to be fairly bad to hold you up on that.....Murphy,why did you have the hep b shots? do all trainees have them?

My first night I came on someone who was hep.b positive and hated Gardai with a passion, so it's in your own interest to get your Hep.B shots. To the best of my knowledge its arranged for regular members but we have to do it ourselves. Go to your doctor, it will set you back about 150 euro, keep receipts and send them to headquarters for refund.

yes reserves will be bussed out to a hotel in thurles on saturday night and collected again at 8 on sunday morning.

So are they all indiviual rooms in the hotel in Thurles?
    I will be driving, is it possible to get the bus to the hotel from templemore and leave the car at the college until sunday, or am I better off to bring the car to Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

So are they all indiviual rooms in the hotel in Thurles?
    I will be driving, is it possible to get the bus to the hotel from templemore and leave the car at the college until sunday, or am I better off to bring the car to Thurles?

Most people leave their cars at the college and take the bus to the hotel.Don't worry everybody is given a seperate room also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

does it say anywhere that student gardai cant be in the garda reserve???? get around the whole not having any powers while on phase 2! hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

does it say anywhere that student gardai cant be in the garda reserve???? get around the whole not having any powers while on phase 2! hahaha

that's a very good point!, given that a lot of people hoping to get into the force full-time are applying for the reserves to boost their chances.

ahh finally recognition of my greatness................. i personally think the selection process should be the exact same and therefore if you're good enough for the reserves you're good enough to run with the big boys

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,anyone here going down to start,if so what county are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

whats the story with training is it consecutive weekends are you accomodated down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

shakin wrote: »
    whats the story with training is it consecutive weekends are you accomodated down there?
    it was mentioned earlier that they put u up in a hotel in thurlas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

As far as I know its in horse and Jockey, about 4 miles south of Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

paul666 wrote: »
    it was mentioned earlier that they put u up in a hotel in thurlas.

You are put up in the Anner Hotel in Thurles unless that has changed I doubt it.Inital training weekend is in Templemore followed by 56hrs of class at divisional station normally over a period followed by another weekend in Templemore then 40hrs on the job training and finally attestation.
    For those without a leaving cert it is at the behest of the commissioner.But it should not prevent you from applying.

a question to the lads that have attended templemore, I am going down for phase 1 tomorrow, I was working yesterday and slightly strained my back, is the self defence involved consisting of tumbling or falling, as i should be resting my back, but I dont want to miss out on phase 1.
    Secondly, how soon will phase 2 commence, as I hope its not next week as I am away on holidays:(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

There is a bit of physical how to fall backwards & forwards and the training normally starts within 10days but they will arrange around your needs, they are good like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi all,
    Had my phase one training at the weekend,just posting this to anyone thinking of applying,have to say very well run,the training was excellent,the staff in Templemore are very nice,friendly and professional,all in all a very positive experience,so if you are thinking of going for the reserve Gardai you should not hesitate,Im a bit sore now though from the physical end but thats my own fault for being too unfit,looking forward to the next few months now.:)

Advertisement