Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Westie 12. Supplies low now. Anyone order recently from Belgian happiness? I know people had some issues around Christmas from another site.

What to follow this with now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Having a bpbp bruin bagger, lovely beer really nice tartness . Definitely going to pick up a few more bottles.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - what a beer! It's characteristically bready with big hits of caramel and banana flavours and aromas. It's 12% and you'd know instantly that it's very boozy, but you also know instantly that it's a world class beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Zaph wrote: »
    Not enjoying Elbow Lane's Meeting House Vienna Lager at all. The only other Vienna lager I've ever had was Sierra Nevada's, which had a sweet, malty taste. This is sour and not to my liking at all, in fact it's like a completely different style of beer. Anyone more familiar with the style know which is more usual?

I had that when it first came out. Never really tried the style before , but I remember it being sweet and malty, definitely not sour. Must be a bad bottle.

Any indication if it is a new batch? The first batch was before Christmas.

I had that when it first came out. Never really tried the style before , but I remember it being sweet and malty, definitely not sour. Must be a bad bottle.

Any indication if it is a new batch? The first batch was before Christmas.

I got it a while ago in Bradleys and sort of forgot I had it. In fact it could easily be there since before Christmas. Judging by what you remember of it it definitely sounds like it was either a bad bottle or it doesn't age well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - what a beer! It's characteristically bready with big hits of caramel and banana flavours and aromas. It's 12% and you'd know instantly that it's very boozy, but you also know instantly that it's a world class beer.

Fantastic beer alright, one of my favorites. Going to Munich in two weeks and will be heading to the Schneider brauhaus to sample more of their delights. Have the Weihenstephaner brewery booked too.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Going to Munich in two weeks and will be heading to the Schneider brauhaus to sample more of their delights

Lucky you, I had a really good night there last time I was in Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

Espresso porter from dark star , my local orders it in just for me.

Lucky you, I had a really good night there last time I was in Munich.

Thanks, any recommendations besides the obvious beer gardens and hall, looking for a beer gem off the beaten path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Thanks, any recommendations besides the obvious beer gardens and hall, looking for a beer gem off the beaten path.

http://www.tap-house.de/
    Tap house Munich is a nice proper craft beer bar. A bit off the beaten path but not too hard to get to.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    http://www.tap-house.de/
    Tap house Munich is a nice proper craft beer bar. A bit off the beaten path but not too hard to get to.

Thanks for that. Hadn't seen that place so it's going on my list. Going to a lot of beer drunk on this trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown- pours very dark brown almost black and the coffee smell huts you straight away.
    If you like coffee beer collaborations then this is a very good one.

I found it a bit sweet at first but not too sweet, but as it warmed the coffee got stronger.

Afraid not. We were brought to a few good bars that generally only locals would frequent by a guy who lived there, but I couldn't tell you what they were called or where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Having Galway Bays Heathen for thr first time. Oh dear jebus. Why have I not drank it before now. What a wonderful beer

Metalman Equinox reduced to 1 euro a can in Super Valu Longford. I bought 10. None left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

how old is it?

Just had a Chimney White, wow. What a beer. Can't believe I've never tried this before. Always stayed away from Chimay for some bizarre reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just had a Chimney White, wow. What a beer. Can't believe I've never tried this before. Always stayed away from Chimay for some bizarre reason.

Chimay are marvellous. They pack a punch, but the flavours are something else. I still can't decide if I prefer the red or the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

St Mel's Neomexicanus. What a funky beer, no idea what to make of this one. Not sure whether its classified as a sour but there are some rhubarb and gooseberry flavours off it, along with a little sourness. I think I like it, bit still half a bottle to go!

All night long from Rascals, very nice IPA. 5 for 10 helps too.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Chimay are marvellous. They pack a punch, but the flavours are something else. I still can't decide if I prefer the red or the blue.

Reading about the Blue one on Rate Beer, think that's next know my list of must tries. The white was a beautiful Triple, not to lager tasting which I find some triples to be, got everything just spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ciaran76 wrote: »
    All night long from Rascals, very nice IPA. 5 for 10 helps too.

It's far from an IPA

how old is it?

The Metalman? BB May 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

O'Haras Freebird White IPA, not great, too malt forward, hops not overly flavourful, ended up tasting like a lightly hopped lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Last night was Kinnegar's session IPA, white rabbit. Delicious as always from those guys. Second was Mosaic IPA from Blacks, wasn't too keen on this. Thought it was too sweet and not balanced correctly. Mostly disappointed from most of their offerings, won't bother trying the other 2 from their discover IPA series.

Ordered a pint of L Mulligan Grocer dark on cask in mulligan's. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the barman thoss a half glass of the beer into a pint glass and top it up with the cask. When I got the pint it was literally room temperature. Tasted it, returned it and the barman was like 'it's supposed to be served at room temperature'.
    Had to argue with him that it defo shouldn't.
    Gotta love mulligan's but that kind of stuff drives me potty.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    Last night was Kinnegar's session IPA, white rabbit. Delicious as always from those guys. Second was Mosaic IPA from Blacks, wasn't too keen on this. Thought it was too sweet and not balanced correctly. Mostly disappointed from most of their offerings, won't bother trying the other 2 from their discover IPA series.
    I found the same withe the Mosaic, it was all over the place. I haven't tried the session IPA.

I absolutely loved the Imperial black IPA though, rice and roasty. It hides the alcohol so well.

Tried the new Imperial black from galway bay at the weekend in the beer market. Nice beer but not as good as blacks, it doesn't hide the booze at all.

It's far from an IPA

Yeah I should have said Pale ale , I was a bit tired and emotional when I wrote it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Greene King Strong Suffolk Vintage Ale.
    Absolutely lovely. Tastes like one of those Toffo sweets. I hadn't chilled it but it was still really refreshing even in this weather.
    I've always avoided it before because of the clear bottle but it is perfect. Can't seem to find a BB date on the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Greene King Strong Suffolk Vintage Ale.
    Absolutely lovely. Tastes like one of those Toffo sweets. I hadn't chilled it but it was still really refreshing even in this weather.
    I've always avoided it before because of the clear bottle but it is perfect. Can't seem to find a BB date on the bottle.

Probably my favourite beer from a clear bottle. Also one of the first craft beers I tasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement