Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Bru craft lager, it's not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

matrim wrote: »
    YellowBelly The Wexican. It starts out ok but there is a bit too much chilli as you get into it

Not mad about it either. I think I'm just reluctantly concluding that I like the idea of chilli porter but not any of the actual executions I've had. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Galway Bay stormy port earlier. Followed it with the Teeling & Galway Bay whiskey collab. From what I gather they took the Teeling small batch and aged it in the Two Hundred Fathoms casks from last year. For me it took the edge off the small batch and added a bit of sweetness.

Now having a Founders Mosiac promise. It comes of completely different to the Blacks Mosiac beer. This smells and starts more nettley (with a hint of weed) following up with the tropical flavours and a nice amount of bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Been drinking cisk all week here in Malta. It's fine for €2.50 a pint but Christ I'd give my left leg to taste some hops again :)

Snap! Just back today from 10 days there, well Gozo, and was fiending for some hops!

Cisk was grand served cold on a hot day, but that's about it. I tried the Lord Chambray stuff and it was complete pish. Had the San Blas English IPA which was poor, their Special Bitter which was devoid of any flavour and the Fungus Rock which is one of the worst stouts I've ever had.

Cracked open a Foam & Fury when I got home and followed it up with an Blacks World's End - sweet relief! I'll never speak ill of Irish beer again!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Anything beery to keep an eye out for in Milan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not G.R wrote: »
    Anything beery to keep an eye out for in Milan?

Loverbeer is a really great brewery located just outside Torino, so I'm sure their beers are available in Milan. Mostly sours and interesting wine-barrel aged beers.

I've sampled a few of their beers at the Italian Craft Beer festivals hosted down around the "Italian Quarter" in Dublin, and Mick Wallace's place serves it on draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This new pale stout by trouble has blown my mind. Not down to taste although it can't be faulted much but by appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had the Yellowbelly Pale Stout lastnight, like a sod of turf poured into a bottle, I like smokiness but think it's a bit strong in this, wasn't expecting it, almost cigarette ash smokey. There was some flavour and smoothness but that may also be a description of a cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had the Yellowbelly Pale Stout lastnight, like a sod of turf poured into a bottle, I like smokiness but think it's a bit strong in this, wasn't expecting it, almost cigarette ash smokey. There was some flavour and smoothness but that may also be a description of a cigarette.

That was my perception of it too. Tasted of ashtray rather than smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Buxton Anglo Belgian IPA, absolutely cracking beer. The yeast and smoothness of a Belgian beer with the complexity of an Ipa.

Picked one of these up at the weekend actually, very much looking forward to it now based on this review!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Yellowbelly It's not Vodka, imperial stout. Not great, its a bit rough. Had the chili porter too, it was ok, not mind-blowing but drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I loved the Yellow belly beers at the beer festivals when I tried them. Was looking forward to the bottles but I think I'll give them a miss judging by the feedback they seem to be getting.
    Hopefully just teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tried Thirsty Frontier by ToØl, good session IPA that's a bit different to the norm in that its not all fruity west coast hops, a little more restrained but really drinkable. Pricey though.
    Tried Beavertown Applelation for the first time and really enjoyed it. Had heard some complaints that it had too much of a cider taste but I thought it was quite refreshing.
    White hag had a tasting in Blacrock cellar on Friday, very much liked their session IPA and new sour beer. Their full IPA was a bit bland, could have been a bad bottle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Was up north at the weekend...had a few pints of Foxes Rock pale ale..nice brew.
    Was at a family do the next day...only thing slightly interesting on tap was Smithwicks Blonde...not ****e but not bad...easily drinkable..

Picked up a few bottles of Brewdog Punk IPA..chilling in the fridge for later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a couple of pints of the 8 degrees Citra the other night, delicious! Not quite so fond of the Trouble Brewing Big Top Rye, was nice but think I'd prefer the Kinnegar Rustbucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

YellowBelly's -Night Porter (7.2%) on draft, thought it was very nice, a really good beer.
    Mountain Man - Banjo'd (Appalachian Ale?) on draft. Not so nice, really like MM but won't be having this again.
    And Union - Uber Friday (IPA) very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Founders Misty Mountain Hop Ale.

Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Decided to be a classy guy and drink cans of Elvis juice on the train into town :cool:

Now on to ol sur Amarillo which is fantastic and hides the 7.5% very well. This could get dangerous :pac:

Disappointed to see quite a poor selection at the beer market, 8 or 9 gbb beers and while they're nice, kind of defeats the purpose of trekking to the beer market
    Not as good as it used to be with 20 different world class breweries finest on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Disappointed to see quite a poor selection at the beer market, 8 or 9 gbb beers and while they're nice, kind of defeats the purpose of trekking to the beer market
    Not as good as it used to be with 20 different world class breweries finest on tap

Yeah it's really disappointing to see a good interesting concept abandoned less than 6 months after they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

No DIPA on tap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had a few with Mrs Sleepy at home last night to celebrate getting our mortgage approval:

Rollover Session IPA by Whiplash - my god this man can brew. Tastes like a DIPA but only 3.8%. Beautiful nose to it.
    Blue Sky Blue Sea by Siren - a stunning Seaweed and Cloudberry Gose brewed in collaboration with Surly Brewing Company
    Scaldy Porter by Whiplash - a really solid porter with a big hop bill, really nice.
    Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale by Lagunitas - an old favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

where'd you get the BSBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

McHughs in Killester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

8 Degrees Nailed It and a couple of Blacks Worlds End for later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

where'd you get the BSBS?

It's in O'Briens in the Beacon Centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Another new GBB beer, Solemn Black a Double Black IPA 8.5%

Dark Penance is the only other DBIPA i've had and don't think it is quite as good. Malt isn't quite as strong as the founders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Had a taste of Northern Rocks Session Black IPA 4.1%

Not good at all and i'm pretty easily pleased. 6.75 a pint to boot. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Punk IPA, crisp refreshing, citrusy and excellent as ever.

Followed with a double Irish. Absolutely fantastic beer, lovely balance between the bitterness and fruity undertones. Body on this is incredibly full for an iipa. Hides the alcohol very well. Every time I have this beer I enjoy it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not enjoying Elbow Lane's Meeting House Vienna Lager at all. The only other Vienna lager I've ever had was Sierra Nevada's, which had a sweet, malty taste. This is sour and not to my liking at all, in fact it's like a completely different style of beer. Anyone more familiar with the style know which is more usual?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement