Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

pbarr wrote: »
    From last night I have started switching off my sky box to prevent it updating. Do they ever update them during the day does anybody know?

From what I know the update can lay dormant in a box for a while before it kicks in,so it may be on your box already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

From last night I have started switching off my sky box to prevent it updating. Do they ever update them during the day does anybody know?

That means you have to do the card trick every morning. Couldn't be doing with all the hassle tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

SPAWKER wrote: »
    From what I know the update can lay dormant in a box for a while before it kicks in,so it may be on your box already.

Oh well no harm in trying....

Oh well no harm in trying....

All good things must come to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I still have the card trick via blue button on an oldish Pace HD Box, will the Pace boxes be updated?

200motels wrote: »
    I still have the card trick via blue button on an oldish Pace HD Box, will the Pace boxes be updated?

Don't know but the last update they got was rolled out on the 8th of may and its R009.066.84.00P .
    Check out this link http://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyPlusHD.php

Don't know but the last update they got was rolled out on the 8th of may and its R009.066.84.00P .
    Check out this link http://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyPlusHD.php

So, if I could get an old pace box the trick would survive, interesting...

jca wrote: »
    So, if I could get an old pace box the trick would survive, interesting...

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one,I'd say it's only a matter of time before it gets the same update.The only boxes they are not supporting are Thompson ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

With the loss of the card trick think I'm considering ditching the Sky sub and get a good combo saoview\freesat box.

• Advertisement

To get around this and keep the UK channels recordable, would it be possible to use a NI address ( mates house), I mean tell sky that I am moving there? What would the implications be?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    To get around this and keep the UK channels recordable, would it be possible to use a NI address ( mates house), I mean tell sky that I am moving there? What would the implications be?

There would be none unless you have multiroom and have to have the phone connected all the time,and have to pay your subscription in sterling.If your mate has sly you will have to put an "a" into the address eg 5a or something like that.

There would be none unless you have multiroom and have to have the phone connected all the time,and have to pay your subscription in sterling.If your mate has sly you will have to put an "a" into the address eg 5a or something like that.

I don't have multi room and I dont think the phone line is a big requirement. Could I still pay from my irish account? Don't mind if it's converted to sterling?
    My box updated again last night and the card trick is gone permanently now.

I don't have multi room and I dont think the phone line is a big requirement. Could I still pay from my irish account? Don't mind if it's converted to sterling?
    My box updated again last night and the card trick is gone permanently now.

Don't think that you can pay with an Irish card anymore but not definite about it.

I got a card from someone here with the uk epg it has sky+ features. The missus uses it all the time to watch the ITV's CH5 etc. It just gives the freesat channels but it keeps her happy. I just swap cards when I want to watch subscription channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I got a card from someone here with the uk epg it has sky+ features. The missus uses it all the time to watch the ITV's CH5 etc. It just gives the freesat channels but it keeps her happy. I just swap cards when I want to watch subscription channels.
    Can you keep the recordings for both sub and Freesat with this method?

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »

That I don't know. I'll set it to record something it's on the freesat card atm and I'll switch to the sub later and let you know what happens. I have it recording Minder on ITV4, will let you know later.

You can but they will only play back on the card they're recorded from.

It's working perfectly on the irish card.

A UK free to view card with sky plus features, where can I get one?
    I rang sky about changing address and it's no problem, all they want is a UK address. I can still pay with my present ROI account, suppose they don't care as long as they are getting paid.

A UK free to view card with sky plus features, where can I get one?

Id imagine they're like hen's teeth ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

Exactly how the update process works is not disclosed publicly.

Yes your Sky box can update during the day, this is normally after the rollout when Sky carries out sweep ups.

You can't prevent the update, merely delay it. Your box will update eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

A small number of Pace Sky+HD boxes were updated to R010.070.83.00P this morning.

There was also a large batch of DRX89x boxes updated to R010.070.58.13P.

Nsewell wrote: »
    A small number of Pace Sky+HD boxes were updated to R010.070.83.00P this morning.

There was also a large batch of DRX89x boxes updated to R010.070.58.13P.

Not me yet:pac: Maybe they've forgotten about me:rolleyes:

Nsewell wrote: »
    Exactly how the update process works is not disclosed publicly.

Yes your Sky box can update during the day, this is normally after the rollout when Sky carries out sweep ups.

You can't prevent the update, merely delay it. Your box will update eventually.

I kinda thought that but I'm really just experementing just to see what happens.
    I know that I'm not going to be switching it off and on every day in the long term but if I can put it off for a while well and good. The box did update a few weeks ago and I did a roll bac so we'll see what happens.

Not me yet:pac: Maybe they've forgotten about me:rolleyes:

They're coming to get you ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one,I'd say it's only a matter of time before it gets the same update.The only boxes they are not supporting are Thompson ones.

It does look very much like that it's only a matter of time before the card trick is gone.

sky.com/mysky/latestnews/article/my-sky-updates/2014-08/new-features-for-your-sky-plus-homepage/

and here

sky.com/mysky/latestnews/article/my-sky-updates/2014-03/sky-plus-homepage-update/

At the bottom of both pages it show that all boxes bar Thompson,as was said on here before, will be getting the new epg updates.
    It was good while it lasted.

Hopefully someone will find another 'trick'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

No luck so far.

Pocaide wrote: »
    No luck so far.

And there won't be unless sly slip up again in the future.

They still haven't gotten my boxes..... Definitely walking the tightrope...

• Advertisement

They still haven't gotten my boxes..... Definitely walking the tightrope...

Yeah without a safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Bit of a weird one. My box was updated and I lost the NI card-trick last Thursday, but just noticed that 5*+1 is still on channel 190 on the epg (haven't plugged the box out since the update).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Plascebo wrote: »
    Bit of a weird one. My box was updated and I lost the NI card-trick last Thursday, but just noticed that 5*+1 is still on channel 190 on the epg (haven't plugged the box out since the update).

5*+1 was added to irish epg today at same time it was added to sky uk's epg. Probably an error on sky's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

givecredit wrote: »
    5*+1 was added to irish epg today at same time it was added to sky uk's epg. Probably an error on sky's part.

rushes home to check EPG,,,,,,,,

Yeah it's still there, that's a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Pocaide wrote: »
    Yeah it's still there, that's a bit strange.

Maybe now that Viacom own Channel Five since september, they plan on extending it to Rep of Ireland. Similar to the other Viacom channels MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Channel, VH1 and VIVA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

givecredit wrote: »
    Maybe now that Viacom own Channel Five since september, they plan on extending it to Rep of Ireland. Similar to the other Viacom channels MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Channel, VH1 and VIVA

No, 5*+1 replaced Bet+1 on UK Sky EPG, so it's definitely a mistake by Sky and if they haven't copped it yet, they sure will by monitoring these forums !

It was still there this morning.I wonder should I email Ch 5 and ask them will the rest of their channels be available here soon,as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

It was still there this morning.I wonder should I email Ch 5 and ask them will the rest of their channels be available here soon,as well!
    That would be a good idea as it might clear things up regarding the launch or non launch of Ch5 channels in the ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

natashaob6 wrote: »
    That would be a good idea as it might clear things up regarding the launch or non launch of Ch5 channels in the ROI.

CH5 going on Irish Sky EPG ? Was that a pig I saw flying past the window ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    CH5 going on Irish Sky EPG ? Was that a pig I saw flying past the window ?
    I remember when ITV Encore and ITV be were added to the irish epg the same time as been added to the uk epg but were removed with in a few minutes from the irish epg. So it is a bit unusual to still have 5*+1on the irish epg this length of time.

5*+ 1has now been removed from the irish epg. Lasted longer than I thought.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    5*+ 1has now been removed from the irish epg. Lasted longer than I thought.

I'm sure broadcasting it on here didn't help matters.

Too true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

My Pace box got updated and no card trick anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

200motels wrote: »
    My Pace box got updated and no card trick anymore.
    Best thing I ever did was buying a Manhattan Freesat Recorder Box, cost me €239, plus €80, for 2 new cables, it is like having the old full card trick back & I can switch to which ever region I prefer.

I can make 2 Freesat recordings at the same time, and I am free to use my normal Sky Boxes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

energy1942 wrote: »
    Best thing I ever did was buying a Manhattan Freesat Recorder Box, cost me €239, plus €80, for 2 new cables, it is like having the old full card trick back & I can switch to which ever region I prefer.

I can make 2 Freesat recordings at the same time, and I am free to use my normal Sky Boxes as well.
    Thats great but do you know how to get the card trick working again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

muffler wrote: »
    Thats great but do you know how to get the card trick working again?

Not since 9th September 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

energy1942 wrote: »

Can you record RTE? If not then its NOT like the full card trick. For €50 I can get all the UK "Freesat" channels recordable without a sub, using the existing Sky box!

Can you record RTE? If not then its NOT like the full card trick. For €50 I can get all the UK "Freesat" channels recordable without a sub, using the existing Sky box!

Got one of those cards, a great investment. I can now carry on recording the UK terrestrials after the ending of the card trick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement