Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humans - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I was on the floor about the "Oh hi, i was just having intercourse with your wife" line. Comedy genius.

'shes playing hard to get' that was great, equal parts funny and equal parts scary.

Also had a chuckle at maxs comeback 'im not a telephone' but i can estimate where he is mostly to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Old Perry wrote: »
    exactly, you have a better memry than i do. I think what is important is not whether lauras paranoia is justified or not but is rather a question of would it be so easy to accept when confronted with such a machine. Like her eldest daughter laura also felt uneasy as to the role she could play given how much the synth is capable of taking care of. milikins situation also poses a similar question in having the synth forced upon him by the insurance company. could synths do a better job and make better judgements than ourselves and where does this leave us inferior beings.

The question is more, will we all end up with Vera? I'd short her wires within a week. Or probably install Linux on her.

Old Perry wrote: »
    'shes playing hard to get' that was great, equal parts funny and equal parts scary.

Also had a chuckle at maxs comeback 'im not a telephone' but i can estimate where he is mostly to be.

Can't wait what Pete will think about his not so human after all colleague.
    Karen Voss has been very under the radar character-wise, since she seems to be an unaccounted for sentient.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yeah, I figured that's the angle they are going for but in my mind I wouldn't be thinking "well thank God I'm not crazy", I'd be thinking "holy sh*t my washing machine has feelings". It just felt like she was way too ok with what was happening. Even letting Anita drive the car right after the Mia revelation.
    I guess it would be the difference between feeling like your robot has some sinister problem with it, or finding out it's got feelings like a mother. When people don't know something for sure they assume the worst. But when we understand someone else we're more accepting.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I guess it would be the difference between feeling like your robot has some sinister problem with it, or finding out it's got feelings like a mother. When people don't know something for sure they assume the worst. But when we understand someone else we're more accepting.

i just love the way the sentients are being portrayed as still coming to terms with their feelings, essentially they are only a few years old, but with grown up intellects. And they all have their own distinct personality. Niska is fascinating, her focus is mortality, Max is religion, and so on.
    So of course, like most SciFi it's not really about robots developing feelings, but more a reflection on humanity. The rest is sex, death and violence. Gotta have those. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I find the main family to be so infuriating. The scene where:
    Toby goes to the house and starts berating his bemused Dad for getting it on with Anita because she's a 'person'. Leaving aside this bold claim about the machine being a person - which I am not sure I agree with - has he forgotten that he himself tried to grope the robot's boobs? Or does that not matter to him? I wanted to throw a shoe at the telly at this point.

In my view the whole family are insufferable with the exception of the father. Speaking of which I'm not sure why they showed him...
    phoning the authorities

unless it was to further try to categorise him as the baddie of the family! I wish this show would delve more into the philosophical aspects such as whether or not a synth could be a person. It just seems like we're supposed to accept this as totally straightforward.

I'm disappointed. It started off promising and edgy but it's turning into something like you'd expect to find on a BBC production. Sci-fi lite.

He's pissed off with his Dad because he fancies Anita and his Dad fúcked her. Nothing to do with her being a 'person' or whether what the Dad did was right or wrong. He's just jealous and pissed off because he wants to ride her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Anita was never sentient, all those paranoid thoughts the mother was having were exactly that.

Anita did nothing a Synth was not supposed to do. Didn't act un-Synth like in any way.

Before the opening credits even roll in the very first episode, we see her checking out the moon in a room full of synths who are all facing forward. It was clear from the very begining that she was different.

Before the opening credits even roll in the very first episode, we see her checking out the moon in a room full of synths who are all facing forward. It was clear from the very begining that she was different.

good spot, must go back and have a look at that, seems the show devides opinion somewhat, i cant wait to go back for a rewatch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought it was pretty slow and repetitive so far (Leo constantly wandering) but this week's episode was superb. The actress playing Mia did a great job (my wife said she gets shivers every time Mia does the gasping/remembering thing), the scene with the sexed-up masseuse robot was hilarious (the wife is a wagon for sending the hubby away again after he saved her), I really felt for Max for the first time (and just knew something bad was going to happen as soon as his personality started to show) and stroppy teenage daughter is finally becoming less stroppy.

I didn't feel Dad phoning police was too out of character, and also seemed in response to the wife marginalising him. Her sending him away from the house when Leo arrived was a bit stupid though. I thought that after her revealing about Tom to the daughter, she would realise she'd been cold to the husband. Instead she got rid of him at a time when they all needed to pull together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Finally caught up on the last episode and enjoyed it most of all.
    Poor Max! I wonder what the polisman is gonny do now that he has to come to terms wi pumping a synth and caring about her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I'm only on number 6 but have I missed the significance of why Anita took the youngest daughter outside one night? Is that still to be revealed?

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I'm only on number 6 but have I missed the significance of why Anita took the youngest daughter outside one night? Is that still to be revealed?

Yeah good question, ive no idea about that either. would love to hear peoples ideas

Cianmcliam wrote: »

OK, my own pet theory. Anita as Mia was looking after Leo.
    Anita didn't know that, but maybe the Mia personality was peeking through (as it has on occasion, not the conscious outburst but more a subconscious thing) and she felt compelled to look after the daughter. The Anita personality probably had no idea why she was doing that.

OK, my own pet theory. Anita as Mia was looking after Leo.
    Anita didn't know that, but maybe the Mia personality was peeking through (as it has on occasion, not the conscious outburst but more a subconscious thing) and she felt compelled to look after the daughter. The Anita personality probably had no idea why she was doing that.

yeah very good. they could tie it together in the end then with mia and leo having some sort of back story concerning astrology or somethin

edit. read this again and it sounds stupid, what i meant was, when leo was younger maybe both leo and mia learned about space together.

Where did space come into this? :p

Where did space come into this? :p

Annita going out to have a gander at the moon.im after mixin the two together for some reason. i know.im not thinkin straight. i was up shockin early this mornin, need to go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ah jaysis poor Odi :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Toby looks like ed "red" miliband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I wonder was Mia really there the whole time, or is she just saying that, my guess is the latter.

Niska leaving a trail of death in her wake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I wonder was Mia really there the whole time, or is she just saying that, my guess is the latter.

I think she was there. When she came back in the car scene with the Mum and daughter, she mentioned something along the lines of trying to push out her code to replace Anita's code when the chance arose.

That was a great episode btw. Not sure how this will conclude next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Excellent episode. George's death... with Odi telling one last story about his wife. That just hits you right in the feels.

I liked the continued journey Niska is on learning that there is more to humanity than she first thought.

The angle with the other synth was great (and messed up) too.

The same thing bothered me once again though as last week. The family are all just way to on board with the insanity going on in their house. That little ER scene, particularly with the son holding Max's hand and talking to him, was surreal. Only when they saw the news bulletin did they actually start acting somewhat realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tonights episode was very good.
    Best of the season so far.

Tonights episode was very good.
    Best of the season so far.

All I'm thinking is "Karen! You bitch!". She will get her anatomy rearranged by Niska is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is there a second season?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

8 part one season story is what I'd read about it before it aired....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just caught up on last nights.

I wonder are there any positive male role models or are we all $hit?

Just caught up on last nights.

I wonder are there any positive male role models or are we all $hit?

Dr. Millican was so good, they had to shoot him...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought this episode was the weakest so far tbh. I suppose the standout was the death of Dr. Milican. I am sorry to see such a good character go. I'd expected Niska to get pinned with his death rather than what happened. I thought Odi might have been seen as the culprit. He's an easy scapegoat but I don't think it was really addressed further.

The family being totally on board was a bit OTT to be honest. Even couch sleeping hubby is suddenly a cheerleader. It just felt a bit staged really and that was my problem with the whole episode. It felt unbelievable. I think that's why it felt like the weakest episode for me.

I suspect it was pretty much a staging episode to set us up for the finalé so I probably can't be too hard on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate the family! They're ridiculous, with their reactions they could be the robots.

George was the best human character in the show so of course he had to die so the awful family could have more screentime

Advertisement