Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I love this show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fantastic again, the wait is horrible each week. I'd say the last week before the season finale is going to be painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Meant to watch this from the very start and forgot about it. Heard nothing but good about it so gonna start watching it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Raf32 wrote: »
    Meant to watch this from the very start and forgot about it. Heard nothing but good about it so gonna start watching it tomorrow

It'll keep pre bayern nerves at bay ;) Excellent show.

HazDanz wrote: »
    It'll keep pre bayern nerves at bay ;) Excellent show.

Need something to keep me calm and occupied until then so hopefully this will do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

I'm guessing this show is going to get even darker quite fast. Wouldn't surprise me if Hart's oldest daughter, Audrey, has been part of the cult and has met The Yellow King. That would explain her acting out, the drawings, and her peculiar way of playing with dolls. The cult seems to be led by "big people", so rich powerful men. Perhaps Hart's father in law is a member or a leader of the cult?

Speaking of black stars, this is from inside the school:

http://i.imgur.com/CoOVKZ5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Marty really has a thing about mowing his lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

That was one hell of an episode. The music and filming really creates tension even in the most boring of shots. The fact that the show continues to show the up and down nature of the realsionships Rust and Marty have within their private lives as the story moves is very welcome and creates a far more complex and dimensional characters.

I thought the most interesting part was
    Guy character who has been arrested on the double homicide. He states that "big people" are involved? which would tie in with the thought that this was not a lone deranged killer but of a cult like organisation. Wasn't there a few lines about the prostitute camp in the woods was also frequented by "big people" or "powerful people"? if I remember correctly.

Who knows where this story will lead? Rust getting done for it? Rust cracking the case and nailing the real killer? somehow I feel those this will not happily and the end could leave more questions than it answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rust also alluded to the special task force being in on a cover-up/conspiracy. Wasnt that set up as the behest of the governor?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Great episode with palpable tension.

Re: Rust and the building he was in at the end. Where was it and what led him there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Haha I meant so that I would be able to watch it as soon as I come home. Normally takes 5 mins! Cutting corners and the likes :pac:

5 mins for a 720p download ?

Anyway, not since Breaking Bad have I seen such a good episode of TV.

Amazing show, can't believe only 3 episodes left ..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode again - the production values are outstanding. I mean how many other shows make a bundle of sticks scary?!

MD5T7kk.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent episode again - the production values are outstanding. I mean how many other shows make a bundle of sticks scary?!

MD5T7kk.png?1

Spolier:
    Probably reading too much into it, but anyone think the men Rust makes out of his beer cans remind them of this? Could be nothing tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Re: Rust and the building he was in at the end. Where was it and what led him there?

I am 90% sure it was the school from episode three, they spoke to a guy driving a lawnmower outside it

Excellent program.

Rust also alluded to the special task force being in on a cover-up/conspiracy. Wasnt that set up as the behest of the governor?

There is a reference to Tuttle (the minister guy who Cohle disrespected) in the latest episode. Marty is asked about him and replies in a snarky fashion. I think this implies that Cohle will go onto to pin this on Tuttle.

I'm confused about all the references to time that Rust is making. Its the same thing that Ledoux was talking about before he died

• Advertisement

IvaBigWun wrote: »

The school. I think Rust went there simply because he was passing by that same sign about the missing girl and decided to have a look on a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I assume that Rust had gone undercover again (obviously unofficially) since he left the force? That's got to explain his whereabouts.

Going into the school for the second time he realised that the killer is still out there. Marty could probably be privy to that info too if so.

Just a thought.
    EDIT:
    In case you missed it earlier I posted a story from iO9 discussing the book The King in Yellow. Fascinating considering the stuff in the latest episode.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

Here's the latest recap.
    http://io9.com/true-detective-takes-us-to-the-void-at-the-center-of-me-1524756707
    Very interesting read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Another great episode. Unfortunate there's only 3 left but at least we know it'll be wrapping things up and won't be dragging things out.

If the suggestion above about Rust being undercover isn't true, I can see him and Marty teaming up later on anyway

Had to laugh when I read on another board (Walking Dead spoiler)
    you know Marty has it bad when Lizzie, the crazy girl from Walking Dead is his GOOD daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

fuuuuuucking hell. this show is too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Noticed one of the interviewers winking at rust during the interview.

Could be nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I downloaded the King in Yellow on my Kindle. Hope I can finish it before the season ends. It was free, I guess because of the age it's public domain. It's a weird little book so far. It's funny reading their predictions for the 1920s, 25 years in the author's future. He may have been a bit off on one or two minor details. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Anachrony wrote: »
    I downloaded the King in Yellow on my Kindle. Hope I can finish it before the season ends. It was free, I guess because of the age it's public domain. It's a weird little book so far. It's funny reading their predictions for the 1920s, 25 years in the author's future. He may have been a bit off on one or two minor details. :p
    I think it's the protagonist in that particular story who is a little off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Have heard excellent things about this. Going to give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

delete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ah man. This show is amazing.

On one hand I wish there was more than the 8 episodes, on the other its just perfect to keep you wanting more next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Ah man. This show is amazing.

On one hand I wish there was more than the 8 episodes, on the other its just perfect to keep you wanting more next season.

It will be a different storyline next year with different actors.

Episode 6 preview in case anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZ3dOCH5Vg

Will be interesting to see where the show goes from here.
    Looks like at the moment it could go either way in terms of it being either a crime series or supernatural series or some combination of both.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It will be a different storyline next year with different actors.

I realise that but I would stlll look forward to it

Post this just in case people don't know it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

what compelled rust to go back to the school? was it clear?

also..

Untitled.jpg

• Advertisement

Leftist wrote: »
    what compelled rust to go back to the school? was it clear?

also..

Untitled.jpg

Rust also notices a ton of missing person reports were allegedly made in error in the latest episode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Grimebox wrote: »
    Rust also notices a ton of missing person reports were allegedly made in error in the latest episode

surely linking these persons to the building...

otherwise i still don't get why he went there.

Boom another thing:
    Ee1Ea43.jpg

:eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That io9 recap, linked above, is indeed interesting. Lots of subtle things that I'm missing out that were intentional, such as this scene when Rust is driving:
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    The yellow crown (of the Yellow King?) is hovering over his head.
    Also note that LeDoux had an almost Ctuhulu-like appearance at the end of episode 3 and yet the tattoo of the black stars was missing from his back in this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Eod100 wrote: »
    Episode 6 preview in case anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZ3dOCH5Vg

Will be interesting to see where the show goes from here.
    Looks like at the moment it could go either way in terms of it being either a crime series or supernatural series or some combination of both.
    Really hope it doesn't turn into a supernatural show in any way.

Though episode 4 was brilliant but 5 has made it look like a mid season plot filler already. If it continues improving like this I'm going to have to go back to imdb to receive rate almost every show I've ever rated so the 9-10/10 I'd give True Dectective actually emphasises how good it is.

"Good to see you commit to something" - Brilliant line in that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Really hope it doesn't turn into a supernatural show in any way.

Though episode 4 was brilliant but 5 has made it look like a mid season plot filler already. If it continues improving like this I'm going to have to go back to imdb to receive rate almost every show I've ever rated so the 9-10/10 I'd give True Dectective actually emphasises how good it is.

I'm not sure what i'm going to think when this is over as it has re-set the bar for TV.. God help anyone trying to follow that up...

Just on the whole whodunnit aspect:
    Think it'll turn out to be some network of rich and well-connected people like the Mayor and Reverend who visited the police station. And for some reason think Hart's father in law has some role in it all.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Just on the whole whodunnit aspect:
    Think it'll turn out to be some network of rich and well-connected people like the Mayor and Reverend who visited the police station. And for some reason think Hart's father in law has some role in it all.

There has been a few convincing fan theories that lead to
    the father in law being part of the cult. It ties up how messed up Hart's eldest daughter is with regards to her strange drawings and reckless behaviour as a teen. She was abused by him. It also backs up what Hart was saying about the detective's curse, "it was right under his nose the whole time".

I'm not sure if the above is an actual spoiler since it is just speculation. Some people prefer not to read fan theories, I'd usually be one of them but this show has me obsessed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Random I know but has ANYONE seen this hilarious tumblr from True Detective. I’m a massive fan of the show and if ever you need light relief from the episodes ( I find them quite heavy) this does it!!!

http://truedetectiveconversations.tumblr.com

tumblr_n0stetlBGM1ts8u03o1_1280.png
    tumblr_n0stetlBGM1ts8u03o2_1280.png
    tumblr_n0stetlBGM1ts8u03o3_1280.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Actually looking forward to it ending and the subsequent rewatching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

aidankkk wrote: »
    I'm not sure what i'm going to think when this is over as it has re-set the bar for TV.. God help anyone trying to follow that up...
    It's amazing to think that this is being said mere months after the end of Breaking Bad - I agree too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also, in case anyone wants it

The King in Yellow - Kindle Edition is free at Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I like the little discount note that points out your savings of 100% over the print edition.

Caught up on all it now. This show is unreal, best thing I have seen in a long time. Hopefully the standard keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm not sure if this should be in spoiler tags or not since it's pure speculation. A real life mystery has a lot of similarities. I'll err on the side of caution.

In a small parish in Southern Louisiana between 2005 and 2009 8 women; all prostitutes, all drug addicts, all well known to each other and in some cases related to each other, went missing and turned up dead. The bodies were found in such bad states of decomposition that cause of death can't be fully established. All of the girls had been present at a party that was busted by the cops where the cops shot an unarmed man. After the bodies started turning up some of the girls warned their families that they might be killed. Police actions have been suspicious to say the very least. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/02/us/02serial.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 or google "Jeff Davis 8" for more.

The story bears enough similarities to perhaps be inspiration for TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

I'm not sure if this should be in spoiler tags or not since it's pure speculation. A real life mystery has a lot of similarities. I'll err on the side of caution.

The story bears enough similarities to perhaps be inspiration for TD.

From the subreddit r/truedetective:

"Nic Pizzolatto and I actually went to school together (though he was a few years older than me). Being from this area, a lot of people were familiar with a string of unsolved murders in Jennings, a small town about 30 minutes from Lake Charles (where we're from). There's some speculation amongst my Louisiana friends that the show is based on these murders though no one knows for sure. Here's a link that talks about them; sorry for the annoying website design but it tells the most comprehensive story:
    https://medium.com/news-and-politics/d1b813e13581[1]
    It's a long read so if you're interested in checking it out you may want to wait until you have some time."

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1y5kjd/is_true_detective_based_on_the_jeff_davis_8/

Nic Pizzolatto also tweeted a link to that medium.com article about the Jeff Davis 8 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Fantastic show, never seen a show maintain such a pervasive sense of dread it's like Se7en mixed with Angel Heart but over 8 hours instead of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

At the end of episode 3 (I think) when they show the cook walking through the field with the gas mask and machete I was genuinely filled with a sense of dread I haven't felt in a long time.
    Great show!

1239425_656319574410053_1643867432_n.jpg

Some quotes from subreddit r/truedetective:
    I have completely lost interest in everything else on TV. I just find myself coasting through Shameless, Justified, Almost Human, and especially last night's Walking Dead premiere. It's like eating an old wet biscuit after having blueberry waffles and bacon drowning in maple syrup. It's -4 F here and True Detective is not on every night. Not cool, man.
    and those Bikers make Sons of Anarchy look like a f*cking Soap Opera so I am assuming it's ruined that show as well. Well.....F*ck......

I've never become so obsessed with a show so quickly, or become this obsessed with any show for that matter. I usually can't stand reading fan theories and speculation but I'm utterly addicted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement