Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Zcott wrote: »
    Jenson chooses 22 as his number, the number of the Brawn he won the title in.

Interesting.

Do we have a list of all of the numbers taken so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

logik wrote: »
    Interesting.

Do we have a list of all of the numbers taken so far?

From Sky F1's Web Site:
    Driver number choices:

Red Bull
    Sebastian Vettel: Yet to be announced.
    Daniel Ricciardo: 3.

Ferrari
    Fernando Alonso: 14.
    Kimi Raikkonen: 7.

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton: Yet to be announced.
    Nico Rosberg: 6, 5 or 9.

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean: 8, 29 or 11.
    Pastor Maldonado: Yet to be announced.

McLaren
    Jenson Button: 22.
    Kevin Magnussen: 20.

Force India
    Sergio Perez: 11.
    Nico Hulkenberg: Yet to be announced.

Sauber
    Adrian Sutil: Yet to be announced.
    Esteban Gutierrez: Yet to be announced.

Toro Rosso
    Jean-Eric Vergne: 25, 21 or 27.
    Daniil Kvyat: Yet to be announced.

Williams
    Felipe Massa: 19.
    Valtteri Bottas: 77, 17 or 11.

Marussia
    Jules Bianchi: 7, 27 or 77.
    Driver still to be confirmed.

Caterham

• Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think Felipe has every right to complain, Crashgate potentially robbed Felipe of a WDC title, one which I doubt he'll ever have a chance of winning again.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso knew but whether he did or not I'm sure when it first came out he wasn't shocked.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alonso knew but whether he did or not I'm sure when it first came out he wasn't shocked.

Would agree here.

I know it essentially robbed Massa of a WDC, what I am getting at is, bringing it up again is in bad taste now that he is no longer Alonso's teammate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Would agree here.

I know it essentially robbed Massa of a WDC, what I am getting at is, bringing it up again is in bad taste now that he is no longer Alonso's teammate.

I would refer you to my earlier post, I would think that it was most likely brought up for him as I've never seen Massa come accross as bitter as this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

And here's the full entry list with numbers:

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-championship-entry-list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'll be looking out for 19 and 44 this season :)

Maldonado's number :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Happy that Nico Hulkenburg chose #27 - I was concerned that an also ran might have chose that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Knew some funny fella would pick 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

And here's the full entry list with numbers:

http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-championship-entry-list

I was sure Alonso would not do it, his ego is too immensely overblown for that, but was hoping maybe Raikkonen would pick #27. Goes to Hulkenberg instead, still better than not having it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

christy c wrote: »
    I would refer you to my earlier post, I would think that it was most likely brought up for him as I've never seen Massa come accross as bitter as this

The whole thing should be put to sleep, he is clearly still troubled by it.

If he wants to blame anyone, it should be whoever was in charge of the traffic light system, unscheduled stops in F1 are common so Ferrari should have been ready at that stage.

Even at that, I do remember his performance after the incident being quite appalling, he had a spin at some stage after it I think and was nowhere near the leaders on pace in that Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Gintonious wrote: »
    The whole thing should be put to sleep, he is clearly still troubled by it.

If he wants to blame anyone, it should be whoever was in charge of the traffic light system, unscheduled stops in F1 are common so Ferrari should have been ready at that stage.

Even at that, I do remember his performance after the incident being quite appalling, he had a spin at some stage after it I think and was nowhere near the leaders on pace in that Ferrari.

This article should be put to sleep, they picked one thing he said (possibly out of context), and made a a story out of it.

Article smells of BS to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

nice touch by vettel picking 5...he will be sick if he does not win the world championship this year though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I think he picked it because it was the number he had in 2010, when he won WDC number 1, and not necessarily about a 5th WDC

Car launch dates so far:

McLaren: online launch on the 24th of January.

Mercedes and Caterham: at Jerez on the 28th of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that number thing just gets stupider and stupider...

Max Chilton confirmed at Marussia for 2014, no word on Caterham yet.

Why was Chilton kept on? A waste of seat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

show+me+the+money.jpg

Another year of him being comprehensively out qualified by Bianchi, and for the british commentators saying he is doing a wonderful job, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Daddy's money talks.

I think this recent photo of Grahame Chilton might give us some clues.....

288415.jpg

He did finish every race in 2013, which is ok. Slow and steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He did finish every race in 2013, which is ok. Slow and steady.

I believe the full saying is, "Slow & steady wins the race"....something Chilton was never, ever in any danger of doing. Not too hard to finish every race when you're the slowest driver on the track, in the slowest car, starting from the very back every time.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I believe the full saying is, "Slow & steady wins the race"....something Chilton was never, ever in any danger of doing. Not too hard to finish every race when you're the slowest driver on the track, in the slowest car, starting from the very back every time.

True. Although if you're a rookie team you'll want a driver that finishes the races because there's the odd point to be picked up, and that's valuable.

Plus, if you have a driver who crashes a lot, that's a fortune in repair bills that you might not have. Sure, it helps that Chilton brings big money but he's probably one of the best options they have. Pair him with someone fast and crashy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't think this has been posted before. It's a render of the 2014 Ferrari car. Not sure how accurate it is or not, but worth a look.

Link

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Don't think this has been posted before. It's a render of the 2014 Ferrari car. Not sure how accurate it is or not, but worth a look.

Link

That's not a bad looking car at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

True. Although if you're a rookie team you'll want a driver that finishes the races because there's the odd point to be picked up, and that's valuable.

That'd be true if Chilton was ever within sniffing distance of a point, which just isn't the case.
    Plus, if you have a driver who crashes a lot, that's a fortune in repair bills that you might not have. Sure, it helps that Chilton brings big money but he's probably one of the best options they have. Pair him with someone fast and crashy.

He might be the best option for them at the moment, but remove daddy's €12m from the equation & you get a very, very different answer.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'll be looking out for 19 and 44 this season :)

Maldonado's number :eek: :D

I think thats the first time #13 has been used in Formula 1.

Nascar and Anthony West in Moto GP used #13, IndyCar don't use the number.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »

Thats exactly it. His qualifying was terrible too, he was always beaten by Bianchi, i think for one exception when Bianchi didnt even run. Money is the only reason he is still in F1. Such a shame.

Infoanon wrote: »
    I think thats the first time #13 has been used in Formula 1.

Nascar and Anthony West in Moto GP used #13, IndyCar don't use the number.

It's not the first time it's been used. It was retired first in 1926 after two drivers died using the number for the same team. It came back in the 60's on one occasion and once again in 75/76 I think.

It's not the first time it's been used. It was retired first in 1926 after two drivers died using the number for the same team. It came back in the 60's on one occasion and once again in 75/76 I think.
    Thanks - do you know who used the number in the 60's and 75/76 ?

Divina Galica in 76 with Surtees at the British GP and Moises Solana in 63 with BRM at the Mexican GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I think we need to calm down on the Chilton bashing, he's crap for sure but there's no way that anyone including Max Cash will ever beat Taki.

c535938aa30044b1097e5128945b3178.png

I think we need to calm down on the Chilton bashing, he's crap for sure but there's no way that anyone including Max Cash will ever beat Taki.

Until you realise it was Chilton that was driving the medical car that hit Inoue.

Until you realise it was Chilton that was driving the medical car that hit Inoue.

Lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Poor max is talking about scoring points this year.
    Maybe with his 'record breaking' finishing if the new cars are unreliable if he drives like a turtoise he might creep up to 10th in a race

lolie wrote: »
    Poor max is talking about scoring points this year.
    Maybe with his 'record breaking' finishing if the new cars are unreliable if he drives like a turtoise he might creep up to 10th in a race

Or waits for Pastor Maldonado to wipe out half the field ;)

Theres talk that Gary anderson is gone from the Bbc F1 coverage.
    Bad mistake from the Bbc, apart from the cars he was the main reason a lot of people tuned in.

• Advertisement

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Or waits for Pastor Maldonado to wipe out half the field ;)

Maybe theres method in his madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Are BBC going to be showing testing?

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Are BBC going to be showing testing?

Nope. Last year I think Sky did some coverage but not live.

Speaking of Sky, if anyone has a Sky account with F1 and is looking for a financial donation, let me know...

lolie wrote: »
    Theres talk that Gary anderson is gone from the Bbc F1 coverage.
    Bad mistake from the Bbc, apart from the cars he was the main reason a lot of people tuned in.

Really hope this isn't true, although this blog seems to suggest it is. No other reports though.

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/gary-anderson-to-leave-bbcs-formula-1-team/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Really hope this isn't true, although this blog seems to suggest it is. No other reports though.

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/gary-anderson-to-leave-bbcs-formula-1-team/

Same hope it isn't true Gary was good when they where talking about the technical part of the cars.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

R.I.P

Legend of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Just heard that Jenson's father - John Button, has passed away.

Very sad, he was ALWAYS at the races...very familiar face in the paddock, always there to support his boy.

Big shock for Jenson, and so close to the start of the season...what a shame...

• Advertisement

Yeah, suspected heart attack at his home in south France.

Advertisement