Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Another year of him being comprehensively out qualified by Bianchi, and for the british commentators saying he is doing a wonderful job, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Gintonious wrote: »
    Why was Chilton kept on? A waste of seat!
    Daddy's money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Gintonious wrote: »
    Why was Chilton kept on? A waste of seat!

I think this recent photo of Grahame Chilton might give us some clues.....

288415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

He did finish every race in 2013, which is ok. Slow and steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Zcott wrote: »
    He did finish every race in 2013, which is ok. Slow and steady.

I believe the full saying is, "Slow & steady wins the race"....something Chilton was never, ever in any danger of doing. Not too hard to finish every race when you're the slowest driver on the track, in the slowest car, starting from the very back every time.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I believe the full saying is, "Slow & steady wins the race"....something Chilton was never, ever in any danger of doing. Not too hard to finish every race when you're the slowest driver on the track, in the slowest car, starting from the very back every time.

True. Although if you're a rookie team you'll want a driver that finishes the races because there's the odd point to be picked up, and that's valuable.

Plus, if you have a driver who crashes a lot, that's a fortune in repair bills that you might not have. Sure, it helps that Chilton brings big money but he's probably one of the best options they have. Pair him with someone fast and crashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't think this has been posted before. It's a render of the 2014 Ferrari car. Not sure how accurate it is or not, but worth a look.

Link

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Don't think this has been posted before. It's a render of the 2014 Ferrari car. Not sure how accurate it is or not, but worth a look.

Link

That's not a bad looking car at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

True. Although if you're a rookie team you'll want a driver that finishes the races because there's the odd point to be picked up, and that's valuable.

That'd be true if Chilton was ever within sniffing distance of a point, which just isn't the case.
    Plus, if you have a driver who crashes a lot, that's a fortune in repair bills that you might not have. Sure, it helps that Chilton brings big money but he's probably one of the best options they have. Pair him with someone fast and crashy.

He might be the best option for them at the moment, but remove daddy's €12m from the equation & you get a very, very different answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'll be looking out for 19 and 44 this season :)

Maldonado's number :eek: :D

I think thats the first time #13 has been used in Formula 1.

Nascar and Anthony West in Moto GP used #13, IndyCar don't use the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myrddin wrote: »

Thats exactly it. His qualifying was terrible too, he was always beaten by Bianchi, i think for one exception when Bianchi didnt even run. Money is the only reason he is still in F1. Such a shame.

Infoanon wrote: »
    I think thats the first time #13 has been used in Formula 1.

Nascar and Anthony West in Moto GP used #13, IndyCar don't use the number.

It's not the first time it's been used. It was retired first in 1926 after two drivers died using the number for the same team. It came back in the 60's on one occasion and once again in 75/76 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It's not the first time it's been used. It was retired first in 1926 after two drivers died using the number for the same team. It came back in the 60's on one occasion and once again in 75/76 I think.
    Thanks - do you know who used the number in the 60's and 75/76 ?

Divina Galica in 76 with Surtees at the British GP and Moises Solana in 63 with BRM at the Mexican GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I think we need to calm down on the Chilton bashing, he's crap for sure but there's no way that anyone including Max Cash will ever beat Taki.

c535938aa30044b1097e5128945b3178.png

I think we need to calm down on the Chilton bashing, he's crap for sure but there's no way that anyone including Max Cash will ever beat Taki.

Until you realise it was Chilton that was driving the medical car that hit Inoue.

Until you realise it was Chilton that was driving the medical car that hit Inoue.

Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Poor max is talking about scoring points this year.
    Maybe with his 'record breaking' finishing if the new cars are unreliable if he drives like a turtoise he might creep up to 10th in a race

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

lolie wrote: »
    Poor max is talking about scoring points this year.
    Maybe with his 'record breaking' finishing if the new cars are unreliable if he drives like a turtoise he might creep up to 10th in a race

Or waits for Pastor Maldonado to wipe out half the field ;)

Theres talk that Gary anderson is gone from the Bbc F1 coverage.
    Bad mistake from the Bbc, apart from the cars he was the main reason a lot of people tuned in.

• Advertisement

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Or waits for Pastor Maldonado to wipe out half the field ;)

Maybe theres method in his madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Are BBC going to be showing testing?

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Are BBC going to be showing testing?

Nope. Last year I think Sky did some coverage but not live.

Speaking of Sky, if anyone has a Sky account with F1 and is looking for a financial donation, let me know...

lolie wrote: »
    Theres talk that Gary anderson is gone from the Bbc F1 coverage.
    Bad mistake from the Bbc, apart from the cars he was the main reason a lot of people tuned in.

Really hope this isn't true, although this blog seems to suggest it is. No other reports though.

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/gary-anderson-to-leave-bbcs-formula-1-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Really hope this isn't true, although this blog seems to suggest it is. No other reports though.

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/gary-anderson-to-leave-bbcs-formula-1-team/

Same hope it isn't true Gary was good when they where talking about the technical part of the cars.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

R.I.P

Legend of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Just heard that Jenson's father - John Button, has passed away.

Very sad, he was ALWAYS at the races...very familiar face in the paddock, always there to support his boy.

Big shock for Jenson, and so close to the start of the season...what a shame...

• Advertisement

Yeah, suspected heart attack at his home in south France.

Advertisement