Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Wow. I've been as critical as anyone about the show in recent years but I actually enjoyed that episode. It was better than Ted not being allowed to do something by the over protective receptionist, better than Lily thanking Linus :mad: and better than Robin feeling undermined.

Not a great base for being decent I accept but I was smiling and even laughing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its thoroughly utterly unwatchable.

At the beginning of this season I held onto the vague hope that it would pick up a little once Marshall rejoined the rest of the cast, but I really, really, really doubt that its going to happen. :(

Whats the point of seperating him from the group? He stilll has to show up for work. Or is he shooting a film or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Wasn't he reluctant to commit to the full season? maybe the "roadtrip" was the excuse of him not being there full time, but they decided to add it as a side story when he agreed. (Complete guess though)

Guessing it's not worth watching the new episode then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Wow. I've been as critical as anyone about the show in recent years but I actually enjoyed that episode. It was better than Ted not being allowed to do something by the over protective receptionist, better than Lily thanking Linus :mad: and better than Robin feeling undermined.

Not a great base for being decent I accept but I was smiling and even laughing through it.

i'm surprised lily is even able to stand up at this point :rolleyes:

also beginning now to see why robin is having cold feet just before the wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Well that was dumb

The only good part was James' costume at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

A cute idea; but just blurgh!

Only a few more episodes left right??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

just no, barney is not meant to be like that, probably have ruined one of the funniest characters on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

the last one was brilliant!! love it if it goes that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

I laughed a couple of times at this episode wasn't too bad at all! I see some disagree but it was trying! So I'm giving it points for effort!!

• Advertisement

It was announced one of the upcoming episodes will be dedicated entirely to the mothers perspective, presumably this will be the pilot for the spin off? can't say I'm feeling optimistic about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

guttenberg wrote: »
    It was announced one of the upcoming episodes will be dedicated entirely to the mothers perspective, presumably this will be the pilot for the spin off? can't say I'm feeling optimistic about it though.

I read recently that the new show is unconnected to the story of HIMYM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The title for an upcoming episode is
    'how your mother met me'
    , so that's probably the one. I don't think it has anything to do with the spin-off (which I confidently predict will be dreadful).

Staging the last season over a weekend has to be one of the worst TV show ideas ever. Barney's been well and truly Chandlered at this stage so the show has gone to pieces as a result. He can only be himself in flashback mode but hardly any of the episodes are flashbacks to before he got back with Robin. At least there's only one more episode before Christmas and then it fecks off for a few weeks. At this stage I have to watch a few Seinfelds after each HIMYM episode to flush it out of my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sparko wrote: »
    I read recently that the new show is unconnected to the story of HIMYM.
    Yup it's just the story of how some new female character met her husband. As if fans will go through this whole thing again after seeing just how downhill HIMYM has gone. Also part of HIMYM's original charm was how Ted and Robin didn't fit the usual gender TV roles. Doing the show with a woman makes no sense.

Wasn't he reluctant to commit to the full season? maybe the "roadtrip" was the excuse of him not being there full time, but they decided to add it as a side story when he agreed. (Complete guess though)

He was filming a film at the same time. The roadtrip was a way to have him in the show while fitting it around the film shooting schedule. From what I heard it seems it was the only way to convince him to come back.

He was filming a film at the same time. The roadtrip was a way to have him in the show while fitting it around the film shooting schedule. From what I heard it seems it was the only way to convince him to come back.

to be honest, they shouldnt have bothered going to that effort, he hasnt added anything of relevance this season, but i suppose its nice to have the 5 of them in it for the last season.

Raf32 wrote: »
    to be honest, they shouldnt have bothered going to that effort, he hasnt added anything of relevance this season, but i suppose its nice to have the 5 of them in it for the last season.
    Well it was either that or end last season which the originally said they were doing anyway. :rolleyes:

The fact all of this is set over one weekend shows that this was never part of the plan. What really annoys me is all last summer Bays and Thomas went on and on about how the wedding weekend was just a framing device and we would constantly be flashing back and forward to learn more about the mother and get to know her before she finally meets Ted. That season sounds awesome. I did think it would need a reduced run to work fully but I thought it could be interesting. Instead we've got another season of pointless standalones with only a few five second flashforwards and one flashback episode thrown in. I used to love this show so much and it's gone more downhill than I ever imagined.

That was a really enjoyable episode imo, really liked the mothers character

Wouldn't say really enjoyable but best in a while. I hope we see more mother, she adds a breath of fresh air. I loved Lily advising her to steal the van. The 'pause' and Marshall and Lily's reunion was done well. So happy he's at the inn, lets hope he properly interacts with everyone now. AFAIK filming on Sex Tape only rapped recently so don't know if any new year episodes are affected or not. Was disappointed with the second installment of Marshal vs the machine, especially since five miles is not a long walk!

If the mother disappears again for several episodes then it will get stale once more but if they have her appear in every episodes, even to a small degree, it will really improve things. I saw a comment on hitfix that said if the show wasn't trying to drag things out this would have been the third episode or so and I agree with them there. I don't understand why they didn't go for a reduced season run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

That was a better episode to what we have being served lately.
    It slightly moved the story along but giving us silly comedy.
    Worth the watch and I agree why not produce a better shorter run of episodes rather then filler episodes we have being getting.

• Advertisement

Well it was either that or end last season which the originally said they were doing anyway. :rolleyes:

The fact all of this is set over one weekend shows that this was never part of the plan. What really annoys me is all last summer Bays and Thomas went on and on about how the wedding weekend was just a framing device and we would constantly be flashing back and forward to learn more about the mother and get to know her before she finally meets Ted. That season sounds awesome. I did think it would need a reduced run to work fully but I thought it could be interesting. Instead we've got another season of pointless standalones with only a few five second flashforwards and one flashback episode thrown in. I used to love this show so much and it's gone more downhill than I ever imagined.

Turns out this is a reduced run. The finale is March 31st.

Is it a reduced run though? I can't find the link but I read yesterday that their won't be any of the "traditional" week breaks filled with repeats but a new episode each week running up until the finale?

Is it a reduced run though? I can't find the link but I read yesterday that their won't be any of the "traditional" week breaks filled with repeats but a new episode each week running up until the finale?

Thought of that after I posted. Can't find a complete episode list to check the numbers. If it's the same number of episodes as usual why are they taking out the breaks? Surely they want to milk the last season for as long as possible? I've never understood those breaks anyway though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's a full season of 24 episodes. Without the breaks, they can finish it in March. They're using the finale to push a new show that will premiere right after, then move in to the 8.30 timeslot on Mondays, with 2 Broke Girls moving into HIMYM's slot and anchoring the night.

So who paid who to have Boys2Men on last night? better than previous episodes although not great considering it was complete filler to the overall storyline. I'm hoping the wedding ceremony happens sooner rather than later as they're running out of ideas and I hope they can end on a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was so ridiculous! I can't believe we're this close to the end and they're churning out filler crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I like the whole Slapsgiving thing in general, but sometimes the story churns along with it.

Near the end I thought "Ok, it was kinda entertaining... shame we're no way closer to... WTF Boyz2Men??"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Jesus that was awful. The song at the end was a slap in the face to the audience who followed this for 9 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

im a big HIMYM fan and dont know how often i saw all the other episodes/season.

as a big fan of the show i have to say, that this one was finally HILARIOUS!
    i laughed so much, cant think of any other funny episode in season 9 yet.
    i find it good!

• Advertisement

A few seasons a go i would have said this is one of my favourite shows of all time, but last nights episode sums up how bad the fall from grace has been for the show, absolutely awful, not one laugh.

Advertisement