Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A random waffle thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Radio5 wrote: »
    Donald Trump for Doonbeg! Wow.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/billionaire-trump-buys-doonbeg-golf-resort-622383.html
    Doonbeg Golf Club will be renamed Trump International Golf Links, Ireland, and is spread over 400-acres fronting for 2 ½ miles on the Atlantic Ocean and features an 18-hole championship golf links course.

The world-renowned course is named the “#1 Resort in Europe” by Condé Nast Traveler, a “World’s Best” by Travel + Leisure and ‘European Golf Resort of the Year’.

The Lodge at Doonbeg, consists of 218 hotel suites, an expansive spa and several restaurants all which will be managed directly by the Trump Hotel Collection, Trump’s award-winning hotel management company.

In a statement, the Trump Organisation said: “Following a global marketing campaign by EY and selling agent Eastdil Secured, The Trump Organization executed the purchase and sale agreements on February 8.”

Luke Charleton of EY commented: “There was a tremendous level of interest from domestic and international investors in this property. It is particularly pleasing to have sold this prestigious property to The Trump Organization who have the vision and resources to take what is an internationally renowned tourism resort to its next stage.”

Mr. Charleton then added: “I would like to thank employees of The Lodge at Doonbeg and Doonbeg Golf Club for their support and professionalism during the receivership process.”

Doonbeg employs 250 people in high season. Buddy Darby's Kiawah Partners invested over €80m in the development before selling it to property investment fund, King Street, last year.

Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump will be arriving in Ireland tomorrow (Wednesday) to announce further details.

Some positive news for them especially since they were plunged into receivership. Wow indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

As long as access to that beautiful beach dosent become blocked or restricted I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

crashs on the n18 this morning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

fryup wrote: »
    crashs on the n18 this morning??

M18
    http://clare.fm/news/multiple-crashes-m18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That must have played havoc in N-o-F as traffic diverted from the M18 at the ClareInn (or whatever it is called now) and rejoined at the other side of N-o-F to the N18.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was just talking about the chaos it used to be to get to either Shannon or Limerick most days. You'd be caught in traffic in Clarecastle, then in Newmarket and then on the way into Shannon, I used to have to leave Ennis at 7.45 to be in work for 9 just past UL, at that I was lucky to get it, now I leave at 8.15 and have plenty of time to spare

There have been too many crashes on that road. The speed limit of 120km/hour is asking for trouble. I think it should be lowered as that might help reduce the amount of casualties on that road, which can be deadly at parts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's been a fair few crashes near Crusheen, but not that many south of that, well not that I can remember anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great news of the 8.5 million lotto winners in kilrush, i think there were several members within the syndicate which makes it better again with 7 or 8 families benefiting as opposed one,

although as a greedy bastard i would prefer the whole amount.......screw the syndicate i say:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

great news of the 8.5 million lotto winners in kilrush, i think there were several members within the syndicate which makes it better again with 7 or 8 families benefiting as opposed one,

although as a greedy bastard i would prefer the whole amount.......screw the syndicate i say:pac:

Great news indeed. I'm glad I didn't win it though. As a fellow greedy bastard I'm holding out for the 100 million Euromillions tomorrow night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

dmc17 wrote: »
    Great news indeed. I'm glad I didn't win it though. As a fellow greedy bastard I'm holding out for the 100 million Euromillions tomorrow night!

Jaysus I'd be happy with the €3000 on the Sixmilebridge GAA Lotto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ah but ye gotta think big!

:D:D

Looks like I might have to settle for that myself :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Ennis to Limerick line closed til late April or May now.

With Dublin Coach now operating from Ennks, you'd wonder how it'll survive!

Strolling back home from the newsagent this am down a leafy lane, I just thought as I looked around, there is absolutely NO where in the world I want to be but where I am...when the weather's like this. County Clare!

I just discovered Jimmy Brohan (Brohans Hardware) died a month ago. Probably one of the town's greatest characters. He definitely will be sadly missed.

RIP.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I just discovered Jimmy Brohan (Brohans Hardware) died a month ago. Probably one of the town's greatest characters. He definitely will be sadly missed.

RIP.

3 of the towns best known business owners died within a couple of days of each other, Pat Hanrahan, Jimmy Brohan and Paddy Kennedy

I'm so out of touch with Ennis at the minute..

J@ysus, Clare people just can't park

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

when and where? why and what?

linky

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

when and where? why and what?

linky

When, where and what. Don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car being a gs300 would be automatic, my guess is car was in neutral - hapless driver revving the belaysus out of it to get it to move - realises is isn't in gear - puts into drive- car surges forward,

I heard the driver meant to put it in reverse and didn't, oopsie

Clareman wrote: »
    I heard the driver meant to put it in reverse and didn't, oopsie

Reddener!

You'd want to be giving it serious boot to do that though.

Drove by it today, all boarded up.

I'd say there was major panic, there's a lot of ground to make up between the parking space and the shop window.

Did they have a blue badge I wonder

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did they have a blue badge I wonder

They'd only need it if they were going to park in the space rather than the shop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Edna O'Brien's former home Drewsborough House (Tuamgraney) goes under the hammer tomorrow. It looks like a very nice property, lots of character but it would need a fair bit of work I'd say. If only I had a spare €350,000+ :pac::pac::pac:

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/a-country-girls-abode-former-home-of-edna-obrien-30377292.html

• Advertisement

It's strangely modern looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

It's strangely modern looking!

too true.the sales pitch is a bit misleading.it is actually just a house that was built on what was the drewsboro estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

pilate 1 wrote: »
    too true.the sales pitch is a bit misleading.it is actually just a house that was built on what was the drewsboro estate.
    I'm confused Pilate, the article states "The house is the birthplace of renowned writer, Edna O'Brien ", Edna is in her 80s now. So is this the house she grew up in or not? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yes, Drewsboro(ough) was certainly her childhood home but her mother willed it to Edna's brother. He and his wife are now deceased. It is being sold by this wife's (Edna's sister-in-law) estate.

Edna's abandoned childhood home under the hammer
    http://www.independent.ie/tablet/property/ednas-abandoned-childhood-home-under-the-hammer-30369215.html

This info says the original house which Edna's grandfather acquired in 1899 was indeed burned in 1921, hence the more modern design and smaller proportions perhaps.

Property/House name: Drewsborough
    Description: A home of the Drew family from the mid 18th century, occupied by Ringrose Drew in 1814 and by Francis Drew in 1837. Bought by Michael Skehan in the Encumbered Estates Court, he is recorded as being resident at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when the house was valued at over £22. Drewsborough, or Victoria Park as it was then known, was sold to William Scanlon in 1869. In 1899 it was bought by John O'Brien, grandfather of Edna O'Brien, the author. The original house was burnt in June 1921. A modern bungalow has been built on part of the site and the O'Brien home is closeby. Some farm buildings and an underground cellar still remain.
    http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2096

Ennis and Shannon are due to get Fibre to the Home from Vodafone as part of a deal with ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91093561&postcount=320

Well needed imo

Mr. G wrote: »
    Ennis and Shannon are due to get Fibre to the Home from Vodafone as part of a deal with ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91093561&postcount=320

Well needed imo

Shannon already has 200mb to be fair.
    There is still a massive chunk of clare with no real broadband

• Advertisement

I'm happy enough with Eircom fbre atm. I hear from the younger g. that this new thing will leave us breathless with the speed, at no extra cost

Still can't believe Clare drew Wexford today. That match was so tense!

Any shops/banks where I can bring a whellbarrow load of coins and count them out and convert them for notes?

Any shops/banks where I can bring a whellbarrow load of coins and count them out and convert them for notes?

Don't think so. There is (or was) a counter in Dunnes that gave you a voucher.

You might be best going to the bank and getting money bags, then counting them out to save on paying commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the centra place on the gort road ( shiels's as every one still calls it ) has a machine for counting them, once counted you bring the docket up to the counter to get whatever notes it counts, it dose take commission for it though so you will have to pay a small fee

its on the left hand side of the shop near the drinks section

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Tesco at Coonagh has one.

Tesco at Coonagh has one.

Thanks lads, another question...

How much commision? Is it a % of the total or is it fixed?

Thanks lads, another question...

How much commision? Is it a % of the total or is it fixed?

It's 10% or so.

Keep in mind that the automated self service till takes change too, so if you need shopping anyway its a good way to get rid. There is a limit to how many coins you can insert though.

Keep in mind that the automated self service till takes change too, so if you need shopping anyway its a good way to get rid. There is a limit to how many coins you can insert though.

I noticed they changed the change collector and now there's no basin anymore. You have to manually put the coins in the slots. I think it was for just that reason.

It's 10% or so.

Ya I went into Coonagh and saw that it was 10%, feck that, I have at least €300 in coin. No way I'm giving Tesco €30 for nought!

Ya I went into Coonagh and saw that it was 10%, feck that, I have at least €300 in coin. No way I'm giving Tesco €30 for nought!

You'd have it bagged yourself in about an hour.

A lot of pubs would be happy to take some change off you, ask your local if they'd be interested.

Either that or if you've a bank account somewhere banks might take it off you as a deposit, same with the post office. Personally, I'd be taking a tenner out a day for myself and getting rid of it that way, I hate having a stack of change around.

Clareman wrote: »
    A lot of pubs would be happy to take some change off you, ask your local if they'd be interested.

Either that or if you've a bank account somewhere banks might take it off you as a deposit, same with the post office. Personally, I'd be taking a tenner out a day for myself and getting rid of it that way, I hate having a stack of change around.

Same with local corner shops, the bank charges them to take change out.

Just noticed on the front page someone looking for tips on locations to take wedding photos, I know some of you here will give some great suggestions

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057244584

• Advertisement
Advertisement