Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It really depends on the team. As a Panthers fan I'd obviously take Clowney. Who knows though, he could have a stinker this year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

That Walter football mock is horrific though, Clowney is clear number one based on the previous year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hard to call so far out but Aaron Lynch (we could have an all South Florida pass rush) or Kyle Van Noy the LB from BYU will be the 2 I'll be watching for the Giants.

Anyone going to suffer a Matt Barkley type drop off. Think his former teammate Marquis Lee could struggle because Barkley isn't there and he could go alot lower than is being projected now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Anyone going to suffer a Matt Barkley type drop off. Think his former teammate Marquis Lee could struggle because Barkley isn't there and he could go alot lower than is being projected now

If anything, having inexperienced - and if I'm being honest as a USC fan - poor quarterbacks in Wittek and Kessler could be good for Lee. He was great in 2011, was even better last year when Kiffin practically built the offence around him, so he'll probably have the same type of year with Kiffin and 2 less-than-stellar quarterbacks leaning on him for the whole year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Colt Lyerla will have a big season. Mariota will be chucking it around a lot more this year. Seattle would be very popular choice for most Ducks fans.

De'Anthony Thomas will not go in the first.

Mariota won't go until 2015 or later.

Anyone would be out of their mind to attempt to build a team around Jonny Manziel. Take him as a project.

I really hope Clowney doesn't end up facing of against Andrew Luck twice a year for the next 10 years.

That's all I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

If it wasn't for Aaron Lynch transferring and Anthony Barr going to UCLA because he wanted to play RB, Notre Dame could have 4 front 7 players that could very well go in the first round of the 2014 draft (Tuitt and Nix being the other two). Could have been a scary defence.

I'm sure one or two of the QBs expected to go high will fall into the 3rd or beyond. Tommy Rees will go number 1 overall after leading ND to the national championship with 2800 passing yards and 29 passing TDs to go with 1100 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs.:P

Heffo001 wrote: »
    Tommy Rees .... with 2800 passing yards

You misspelled interceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

You misspelled interceptions.

The rushing yards are accurate though...... Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've seen some draft discussion on the weird and wacky thread today so though I might as well bump this thread again now that we're coming to the business end of the season.

The usual sources are constantly updating their mock drafts so they're worth a read if you're interested in that sort of speculation. Personally I can't get enough of it even though they will all be blown apart come draft day.

It seems Bridgewater to the Jaguars is all but locked in for #1, but the Bucs may well fight them all the way for it.

My favourite player in terms of potential so far aside from the obvious Bridgewater and Clowney would probably be Sammy Watkins.

Before the season it had the look that it could be a very strong draft && that has been backed up on the field. There looks to be some stellar talents coming out.

Bridgewater is an utter lock to go No.1 overall. He has Andrew Luck type potential.

Clowney hasn't been amazing but his potential will still see him as a top 5 lock.

Jake Matthews is the premier LT in the draft & has played really well this year & again looks like a top 5 lock.

Anthony Barr was stellar last year in his 1st year at OLB but I wondered whether teams would focus on him & that he wouldn't live up to the hype but with 44 tackles & 6 sacks he is really delivering. It would have been mental to think before the year but he could challenge Clowney to be the 1st defensive player off the board.

Oh and CJ Mosley is still the dogs wotsits & if MLB were more important he would be well worth a top 5 pick. If the Giants get to maybe 7-9 to finish the year we will be in a great spot to pick him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ian Rapoport claims a GM told him that Mariota will be the first pick in the draft. Interesting.

Could we have the two first picks to be QBs? Jaguars are definitely going to go QB with the first pick.

Considering the fact we're more than halfway through the season, there could be a few contenders for the top 5 picks. Steelers, Vikings, Falcons and Texans could all end up with one of the top 5. I think the only ones out of that group who would possibly draft a QB would be the Texans, and maybe the Vikings, but they have a weird obsession with Ponder that could lead to them just drafting a backup.

I feel like the Texans will have to draft a QB, but they might wait until the second round. Something tells me AJ McCarron could suit them. Just a gut feeling.

With Manziel, I really can't predict where he'll come. It really depends on whether any team wants to take a chance on him. If it wasn't for Pryor's awakening the last couple of games, something says that the Raiders might have gone for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Moriata as first pick would probably be the worst first pick ever made in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Browns are coming up to get their qb in the draft in a big way imo. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 1s a 2nd and Josh Gordon to go up and get their man. If their man is in fact there this year of course.

Browns are coming up to get their qb in the draft in a big way imo. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 1s a 2nd and Josh Gordon to go up and get their man. If their man is in fact there this year of course.

Obviously very hard to say what will happen in the pro's but if you need a franchise QB this is the year. Bridgewater, Boyd, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenburger, McCarron (who will be a steal), Murray, Carr & possibly Hundley (unlikely IMO)

I don't see the need to give up the farm to get Boyd/Mariota when you can wait on one of the others.

Moriata as first pick would probably be the worst first pick ever made in the NFL.

I think you would need to be seriously mental to pass on Bridgewater for Mariota but why do you say he would be such a bad 1st pick.

Scheme in Oregon or serious flaws in his game? He would need to bulk up quite a bit for the pro's too.

Says a Raiders fan.

I think you would need to be seriously mental to pass on Bridgewater for Mariota but why do you say he would be such a bad 1st pick.

Scheme in Oregon or serious flaws in his game? He would need to bulk up quite a bit for the pro's too.

He's 6'4, 210lbs. That's bigger than Bridgewater. In fairness, I don't think he should go in this year's draft. He needs another year in college before he's ready.
    But he's more than talented enough to make it in the NFL. He's got touch, accuracy, he's poised. And he can run the ball as well as anyone in the pros right now.

davyjose wrote: »
    He's 6'4, 210lbs. That's bigger than Bridgewater. In fairness, I don't think he should go in this year's draft. He needs another year in college before he's ready.
    But he's more than talented enough to make it in the NFL. He's got touch, accuracy, he's poised. And he can run the ball as well as anyone in the pros right now.

I didn't realise. He looks very lightweight.

No arguments from me on the talent standpoint (but I couldn't be having him before Bridgewater) Only just turned 20. I presume that will factor into his decision to stay in or declare

Obviously very hard to say what will happen in the pro's but if you need a franchise QB this is the year. Bridgewater, Boyd, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenburger, McCarron (who will be a steal), Murray, Carr & possibly Hundley (unlikely IMO)

I don't see the need to give up the farm to get Boyd/Mariota when you can wait on one of the others.

He's pretty bad in the pocket, not Manziel bad but he rarely stays in the pocket and buys himself time. It's fine in college though, as QB's like that who have speed will be able to escape pressure. It's much different in the NFL though, he won't out run NFL players often enough an his body will take a beating. He's got very questionable accuracy as well. His arm strength isn't bad but he's got at least 2 years sitting and learning before he can be a productive player, an after those 2 years it's still very debatable if he'll be able to stay in the pocket. The difference between him and Teddy in the pocket is huge.

http://dynastysportsempire.com/prospect-shredder-marcus-mariota/

Also his pass to rush ratio is about 4:1, hardly the sign of a guy who's prone to leaving the pocket too often. He's a dual threat QB, make no mistake, but he's very capable from the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Manziel as first pick would be the worst.

Mariota's bigger than Bridgewater, has a stronger arm and is more accurate on deep throws. He also is a dual-threat QB, which a lot of teams are a big fan of. At the moment Bridgewater's too light for the NFL, under 200 pounds.

Louisville's schedule was a lot easier than Oregon's too, so the performance's also aren't really fair comparisons.

I wouldn't really comment on the age difference too much either, there's only a year between the two.

I reckon Mariota would be best suited to a team that will let him sit in behind a starting QB and train him in. Bridgewater is likely to be thrown in the deep end straight away, and I don't think it'll be a pretty sight.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

Mariota's bigger than Bridgewater, has a stronger arm and is more accurate on deep throws. He also is a dual-threat QB, which a lot of teams are a big fan of. At the moment Bridgewater's too light for the NFL, under 200 pounds.

Louisville's schedule was a lot easier than Oregon's too, so the performance's also aren't really fair comparisons.

I wouldn't really comment on the age difference too much either, there's only a year between the two.

I reckon Mariota would be best suited to a team that will let him sit in behind a starting QB and train him in. Bridgewater is likely to be thrown in the deep end straight away, and I don't think it'll be a pretty sight.

Bridgewater is much more pro ready. Takes control at line of scrimmage with his own pre-snap reads. He is as athletic as Luck/Rodgers & has that as a fall back but he is so calm & patient in the pocket. He is tough as they come. I agree he needs to add a few pounds (currently 196lbs) but as he is 6ft3 he can easily add 10-15lbs to his frame & will naturally do that during draft process & with an NFL weights programme.

He has improved his deep accuracy from last year to this year. His arm isn't a cannon but it's not weak. I would say it's average by NFL standards. But his ability to read D's will easily counter any perceived weakness.

Honestly I think that he will have a Luck type impact with whomever drafts him.

Not much he can do with who Louisville face but if you watch last years Sugar Bowl you will see what Bridgewater can do against what was one if the best D's in college last year.

davyjose wrote: »
    http://dynastysportsempire.com/prospect-shredder-marcus-mariota/

Also his pass to rush ratio is about 4:1, hardly the sign of a guy who's prone to leaving the pocket too often. He's a dual threat QB, make no mistake, but he's very capable from the pocket.

Most of his passes don't go more than 10 yards, and when they do he is outside of the pocket. . If your looking for a guy to stay in the pocket and throw the ball down the field then he isn't that guy.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

Mariota is far more inaccurate on deep throws, has little pocket presence and has done little that you'd want from an NFL QB. I care little for stats tbh.

Very very rarely do you see him have to stay in the pocket, good through progessions and throw. Short throws, outside of the pocket or one read throws is pretty much all he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bridgewater will be no.1. The rest is noise. QB is too important a position to not prioritise it when the best prospect is this good. Clowney is probably the best placed to have the big career from this class, but that don't really matter when it comes down to it.

I think Bridgewater will be a great QB for a long time.

Bridgewater is much more pro ready. Takes control at line of scrimmage with his own pre-snap reads. He is as athletic as Luck/Rodgers & has that as a fall back but he is so calm & patient in the pocket. He is tough as they come. I agree he needs to add a few pounds (currently 196lbs) but as he is 6ft3 he can easily add 10-15lbs to his frame & will naturally do that during draft process & with an NFL weights programme.

He has improved his deep accuracy from last year to this year. His arm isn't a cannon but it's not weak. I would say it's average by NFL standards. But his ability to read D's will easily counter any perceived weakness.

Honestly I think that he will have a Luck type impact with whomever drafts him.

Not much he can do with who Louisville face but if you watch last years Sugar Bowl you will see what Bridgewater can do against what was one if the best D's in college last year.

I might be biased, but Bridgewater won't come close to making the impact Luck has. What Luck has done is once in a generation TBH. He's taken a poor NFL team and dragged them at times to victory.

He's also 6'4" and 240 lbs, and a beast to take down. Bridgewater doesn't carry anywhere near to that kind of presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Over halfway through the season, the first few picks (based on overall strength of schedule) in the 2014 draft look like this:

1) Jaguars
    2) Vikings
    3) Falcons
    4) Buccaneers
    5) Texans

6) Rams (from Redskins)
    7) Bills
    8) Rams
    9) Ravens
    10) Browns

Other teams on that 4-6 mark like the Steelers, Titans, Raiders and Chargers all just outside the top 10 based on strength of schedule.

3 playoff teams from last year including the Super Bowl champions in the top 10, 4 if you include the Redskins whose pick is going to the Rams.

Completely pointless I know as it will likely all look quite a bit different from week to week, but the top five will presumably be there or thereabouts as it's difficult to see any of them going on much of a run.

The draft would be pretty interesting if it was to stay similar to that, with 4 or 5 teams in the top ten that won't go for a QB in a QB heavy draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would be interesting if Vikes could get Teddy, with a good QB, they can be a very good team.

It's a shame the Vikings need a QB amongst other things so badly. Imagine the luxury of being able to draft Clowney to put opposite Jared Allen, if the latter stays put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Clowney is going to the Falcons isn't he.
    1 season in the basement and they will be contenders again next year.

Breaks my heart as a Browns fan.

Advertisement