Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

does your car kit supports Bluetooth 4.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Quick update, turned the phone on and off last night cos it was hung on no data being sent/recieved. Went to the car this morning and so far 3 times it has auto connected....turning it off and on sometimes works...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

No idea. Nothing in the documentation about any version of BT.
    How would you tell?
    akamossie wrote: »
    does your car kit supports Bluetooth 4.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i checked the documentation and it has Bluetooth 1.2 so its quite limited for a powerful phone you have.

There is a lot of users are complaining with the same issue you have in the apple forum since they have updated their iOS version and have bluetooth 4.0.

not sure if there is any work around to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was only get an "E" data connection for the last couple of days. Asked eMobile what the story was and was advised to pull out the battery while the phone was on, then power it up again. It worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

New-ish problem.

At least a couple of times a day I get a "messaging has stopped working" warning while trying to send/read sms

I noticed it first last week, but I installed handcent and it seemed to help.

But it has come back now in a big way.

Could there be a conflict between the two messaging apps? If so, can I completely remove the stock one and leave handcent to work away on its own?

I have handcent set as the default messenger at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Had an issue this morning. Phone got a notification in and it was like the sound was stuck on it like a skipping cd. It then rebooted it's self and seemed to be ok. Then about 5 minutes later it rebooted itself and the screen went mad on it. Kinda like a graphics problem on a pc. Nothing on screen but funky green lines. :( Didn't do anything to try and fix it just brought it back to the 3 store. I could see me rebooting it and it fixing itself until after the 28 days return was finished! lol They replaced it there and then for me. Anyone else have any experience of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    Had an issue this morning. Phone got a notification in and it was like the sound was stuck on it like a skipping cd. It then rebooted it's self and seemed to be ok. Then about 5 minutes later it rebooted itself and the screen went mad on it. Kinda like a graphics problem on a pc. Nothing on screen but funky green lines. :( Didn't do anything to try and fix it just brought it back to the 3 store. I could see me rebooting it and it fixing itself until after the 28 days return was finished! lol They replaced it there and then for me. Anyone else have any experience of this??
    Ive had this problem. Im on my 2nd phone and waiting for meteor to get them in stock so they can replace it again. Whenever i get txt message either half the tone plays or it just vibrates and no sound at all and its only when certain people txt me. Sisters mate had the same issue with his and hes waiting on a replacement as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Oh no, Hopefully, I'll be ok with this phone now. Really like it and don't want to have to change to a different brand, i.e. HTC. :( Any idea what is causing it?

Oh no, Hopefully, I'll be ok with this phone now. Really like it and don't want to have to change to a different brand, i.e. HTC. :( Any idea what is causing it?
    Havent a clue and meteor dont either. With both phones it happened within 5 days. A google search of the problem shows plenty of people are experiencing it.

• Advertisement

Havent a clue and meteor dont either. With both phones it happened within 5 days. A google search of the problem shows plenty of people are experiencing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stephen_flav

i bought the s3 today and after 2 hours of use the screen for lack of a better word glitched, after I turned it off it wouldn't turn back on. ill be returning it tomorrow just thought it was worth mentioning. I'll have to wait till a new s3 is sent out and I could do without the grief :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Surely the shop where you bought the phone would replace it from stock right away, Carphone Warehouse replaced my faulty S3 right away, even gave me the dark blue version

bogman wrote: »
    Surely the shop where you bought the phone would replace it from stock right away, Carphone Warehouse replaced my faulty S3 right away, even gave me the dark blue version

I was on the verge of bringing mine back to the 3 store after a week of atrocious battery life. They They told me that they wouldn't swap it and that it would have to go back to Samsung for diagnosis. They said I'd be without it for about a week or so.

Didn't bring it back in the end, battery improved with juice defender.

But the point is, they weren't willing to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

But if Juice defender helped, then presumably there was actually no problem with your phone - rather you were unsatisfied with the battery life? They are unlikely to encourage swapping for a new phone for these issues. The screen going black after 2 hours can be assessed rapidly and objectively.

I was on the verge of bringing mine back to the 3 store after a week of atrocious battery life.

But the point is, they weren't willing to swap.

One of the main reasons I shop in Carphone Warehouse, they will replace a new phone within a reasonable amount of time if it is faulty (think its 30 days)
    Paid off in my case

Zagato wrote: »
    But if Juice defender helped, then presumably there was actually no problem with your phone - rather you were unsatisfied with the battery life? They are unlikely to encourage swapping for a new phone for these issues. The screen going black after 2 hours can be assessed rapidly and objectively.

Yeah, you could call it dissatisfaction, but it was to the point where I really thought there was a fault with the battery.

Yeah, you could call it dissatisfaction, but it was to the point where I really thought there was a fault with the battery.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you. My point is just that they probably get a lot of people coming in with that issue and there does not end up ultimately being any fault. They are therefore trying to fob you off my making it a hassle for you to get your phone checked out (which to be fair did work you have to admit ;) )

I'm not at all disagreeing with you. My point is just that they probably get a lot of people coming in with that issue and there does not end up ultimately being any fault. They are therefore trying to fob you off my making it a hassle for you to get your phone checked out (which to be fair did work you have to admit ;) )

Sound. They could have been a bit more upfront, rather than fobbing off, though.

I genuinely had a concern that there was a problem with the battery.

Now if I owned a shop where I was getting a lot of people in complaining about battery issues, I think I'd say something like "I understand your concern, but its a known issue: you should try installing juice defender and give it a week. If that doesn't help, come back to me and we'll sort something out." I'd feel a lot better bat the way I was treated, and I'd have been given some decent advice. Instead of that, I spent a week being pissed off with the phone and Three. Thanks to some painstaking googling and good advice from fellow boarders, I'm now happy that although the battery isn't brilliant, at least it's behaving as everyone else's, and it's just the way it is with the s3.

I'm just hypothesizing, you could easily have just met a w@ŋƙɛ® in the shop, who couldn't have been bothered

• Advertisement

I'm just hypothesizing, you could easily have just met a w@ŋƙɛ® in the shop, who couldn't have been bothered

It was the manager that I was dealing with, and he was using an s3 himself, so in my opinion he could have been more helpful.

I take your point, though, and it's pretty
    straight in my head now that it is what it is.

It was the manager that I was dealing with, and he was using an s3 himself, so in my opinion he could have been more helpful.

I take your point, though, and it's pretty
    straight in my head now that it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Has anyone had any issues connecting there galaxy S3 (3 network) to their wifi (magnet; telsey router)? The phone sees the network but says it is connecting all the time.

I've tried calling magnet and they have reset the router twice and made some modifications but to avail. They haven't stopped trying yet and i'm going to call again tomorrow.

I contacted 3 and their representative suggested that restore the phone to factory setting which i did. The problem remains.

I tried the *#0011# thing and turning off the wifi power saving.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

Yeah that happened to me, I just have to reset the modem every so often and it works. Think the modem is too old.
    Also in relation to when on the phone and people telling me I sound very far away or that I've a bucket over my head.....you need to turn off noise reduction in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have a problem with my G3 with my saved words when using predictive texting.
    Any new personal words I create are stored in the 'my words' folder -

1) at the main screen go to setting
    2) go to language and input
    3) go to samsung keyboard
    4) on the predictive text ( make sure the button is green colour )
    5) tap on predictive text ( do not tap on the green button ) it will call out another sub menu .
    6) go to 'my word' list

but when I reboot the phone, my saved words are gone, and when doing predictive texting, I have to start adding the words all over.

I downloaded this keyboard

http://android.podnova.com/trends/3x4_keyboard_apk_for_android.html

which has qwerty and 3x4 and is really fast and efficient for predictive use and has great features over the standard keyboard.

Ye are mentioning Juice defender here in relation to battery issues, I have the free version installed, is the paid version "much better"

Using GSam Battery Monitor to tell what is draining the battery including which apps and by how much, must say it does a great job

Used to be known as Badass Battery Monitor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...labs.bbm&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

apparently the paid version does improve stuff again.
    im gonna install it and see if i notice anything there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I have the 'ultimate' version. Whilst you can probably do everything it does by yourself, manually, it does help. The granularity in control is pretty big.
    Even though I haven't enabled all the features, I've got it to the stage that I am getting 2 full days without a problem. I've also found that a big eater of the battery is the wifi connection kept alive during the night. With wifi on, the battery drops by about 8-12%. With wifi off its less than 4%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Have a problem with my S3. Sometimes, when I click to call someone , the dialing screen doesn't show up for about 10-15 seconds. ie the phone just sits then and eventually kicks off the dialing.

Anyone any idea what it could be - driving me nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

rh5555 wrote: »
    When using my browser on the GS3 it's really dark and I can barely read it. So I found out that the issue is in the browser setting itself where Power Saving mode 3 is enabled. When I pick the 'Don't use any powersaving' option (forgot what it's called exactly) I get a nice bright browser screen and I can easily read everything. However, when I start the browser again it's back to the old dark settings. I tried it with the 'let android pick your own brightness option and without but it always goes back to Power save 3. Driving me nuts.

I like that they have the option of the 'general adjusting screen brightness in android' and a separate one for the browser bc. it makes it easier to read but it's just not saving the setting I pick. Hope there is a simple solution for this.

This might be more of an android issue, not sure but it drives me insane.

Dowload "Dolphin Browser HD" from Play. Some bugs but a better browser and being worked on. There may be other good ones out there too.

Advertisement