Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Independent Wrestling *Possible Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pay Per View providers are very hungry for new content post-WWE. They were contacting any old chancer to put on a show.

Expect a strong push by PPV companies for this show.

Court Bauer reports there will also be worldwide iPPV streaming options for Best in the World 2014, on http://rohwrestling.com & U-Stream.

YAY! New Japan uses this setup. Japanese domestic TV or PPV transmitted via the internet for iPPV the rest of the world. A setup that hasn't failed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So this Sunday is the return of Chikara?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So this Sunday is the return of Chikara?

Yup but you wouldn't know it if are aren't their message board. :rolleyes:

http://smvod.com/premium-video/chikara-ippv-may-25-2014-you-only-live-twice-easton-pa

I think it starts 10pm out our time.

Not a fan of the match card and not a fan of how CHIKARA is treating non-zealot/CHIKARA message board fans. Likely skipping the show personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Found the CHIKARA show dull and I normally love Chikara(bought it before the card was announced). Enjoyed seeing Marchie Archie and the Throwbacks but it fell flat IMO. Still have the main even to watch tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Have to disagree with that. Maybe the start of season was not the best time to have a ppv but it sets the tone going forward. The crowd were mental, if not for the taxman I would have been there, but just loved every moment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

the main event was a bit of a botchfest at the end but apparently it was due to Icarus concussion.

When do the storylines for Chikara continue? Next iPPV or on other shows?

They have about 10-12 shows over the next few months where things will progress. If its anything like previous years it'll all lead to a season ending PPV in late November.

All shows are available a few days after on smartmark video but if you follow their youtube show and pod cast a go go you get a good jist of whats been happening

jonnybadd wrote: »
    They have about 10-12 shows over the next few months where things will progress. If its anything like previous years it'll all lead to a season ending PPV in late November.

All shows are available a few days after on smartmark video but if you follow their youtube show and pod cast a go go you get a good jist of whats been happening

RIP Kobald

BoklKfbIYAAU2xC.png

Quackenbush's speech from the CHIKARA return show. Even if you have no interest in him CHIKARA it is a great Paul Heyman ECW style speech or Triple H NXT speech rallying the troops speech despite not being known as a great promo:

• Advertisement

Not a dummy I knew this injury was inevitable given his style:

ac4kcl.png

But the last line of this post from a year ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85065500&postcount=40

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne) is the first entrant for BOLA this year.

Also worth mentioning that BOLA is 3 nights this year :D

The final ROH TV episode before their traditional Pay Per View debut:

ROH Title Match: Adam Cole © vs. Michael Elgin
    ROH Tag Team Title Match: reDragon © (Fish and O'Reilly) vs. Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian
    ROH TV Title Match: Jay Lethal © vs. Matt Taven (With Truth Martini handcuffed to a ringpost)
    Submission Match: Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander
    Winner Earns a TV Title Shot: ACH vs. Takaaki Watanabe vs. Caprice Coleman vs. Tadarius Thomas vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Tommaso Ciampa
    The Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy & Michael Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis
    Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young

Promotion of the shows been been fecked up on every level. The TV the past month has been showing TV taping footage taped in April or stuff from the last two big events with little to no mention of the PPV or PPV card. The PPV companies aren't pushing the show either.

The card does little for me and Elgin winning the title most likely makes me sad. :( But then again I am not staying up until 5/5:30am on a Morning morning. :eek:

Aside from the Tag Title match, that is a very week card for such a big show.

They should have kept the Cole vs Briscoe blow off for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Was Bad Influence vs. Red Dragon as good as it looked on paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Daniels and Kaz looked a lot better than in there final weeks with Impact. All men worked hard and put on a fun to watch match.

No. Late in the card and the crowd were tired in a warm building. Worked as the first match in the series.

Matt Hardy and Mike Bennett vs The Briscoes (trust me) and the Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin were my favourites.

The second half of the show was pretty great. Briscoe's vs the Kingdom started slow but finished incredibly strong. Steen vs Young was okay, but Steen is blatantly just going through the motions now which hurt the match. No where near enough of a brawl considering those involved but Steen likely wouldn't want to risk an injury. Kazarian seemed off his game. He made quite a few slip ups but otherwise it was a very strong match. Not an amazing match, but definitely worth the watch if you have some free time. Despite the result, the main event was great too. The premature celebration was hilarious.

Swap Steen and the Briscoe's and you have a great finish to the show. Alternatively, swap Steen and the tag titles, make the Steen match an all out brawl and you also get a great finish. Steen's match dragged it down the way it was. Could have done with a Young Bucks match too but seeing as they are NJPW rather than ROH, I can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Now to figure out how to get from Drogheda to Preston and back on a budget

Steen announces his last three ROH matches:

Going to be so sad to see him leave the Indies.

• Advertisement

I need to make note of how much PWG is blowing my mind with their Battle of LA shows. The talent line-up:
    BOLA Participants:
    Matt Sydal (aka Evan Bourne)
    Drew Gulak will be making his PWG debut
    Trevor Lee
    Chris Sabin
    Johnny Gargano
    Brian Myers makes his PWG debut (aka Curt Hawkins)
    Michael Elgin
    Biff Busick makes his PWG debut
    Brian Cage
    Kyle O’Reilly
    ACH
    Zack Sabre, Jr. makes his PWG debut
    Rich Swann
    Trent?
    Cedric Alexander
    AJ Styles
    AR Fox
    Chris Hero
    Chuck Taylor
    Roderick Strong
    Tommaso Ciampa
    Adam Cole
    Ricochet
    Kenny Omega

The matches for the first two nights (of three):
    Night 1:
    non-tournament match: Mount Rushmore(The Young Bucks/Adam Cole) vs Best Friends of Low Moral Fiber(Kenny Omega/Chuck Taylor/Trent?)
    non-tournament match: Chris Daniels/Frankie Kazarian vs. World’s Cutest Tag Team vs. Inner City Machine Guns

AR Fox faces Brian Cage
    Drew Gulak vs Kyle O’Reilly
    Biff Busick faces Roderick Strong
    Michael Elgin faces Tommaso Ciampa
    Trevor Lee faces Cedric Alexander
    AJ Styles faces Brian Meyers
    Night 2:
    non-tournament match: Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian vs The Young Bucks
    non-tournament match: Drew Gulak/Biff Busick face The Unbreakable F’N Machines

ACH vs Kenny Omega
    Zack Sabre, Jr. faces Adam Cole
    Trent? faces Rich Swann
    Chuck Taylor faces Johnny Gargano
    Matt Sydal faces Chris Hero
    Ricochet faces Chris Sabin

f1tX562.png

BOLA is always class but that is one hell of a line up.

Bad Influence vs the Young Bucks in a PWG setting should be crazy awesome.

Also the small matter of Hero vs Sydal.

Adam Cole vs Zack Sabre Jr is the one that gives me the horn.

The more I think about that line up the better it gets. I would be surprised if there was a bad match over the three days. The first nights tag team matches should be aces all round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The Night 1 lineup is great but good god Night 2 looks absolutely amazing.

New Heights just killed my interest in CZW. Spoilers ahoy.

Drew Gulak finally completed his babyface turn by firing James and Dewey. The fans start to get behind him as he rips into DJ Hyde. 100% behind him for the impromptu match with Sozio. Turn worked perfectly and then they killed Gulak and made him look like crap. Sozio kicked out of a chokeslam off the ropes and through seven chairs, then kicked out of a choke bomb, avoiding tapping out in the GuLock, and kicked out of a lot of other big moves. The fans would have exploded if Sozio tapped in the GuLock but it didn't happen and at this point Gulak looks weak as hell as Sozio is kicking out of everything he has one after the other. Sozio then wins with a single Mafia Kick. Gulak looks like crap and the fans interest takes a nosedive. Well done CZW, all you had to do was give Gulak the win and it would have been perfect.

Haven't even watched the rest of the show, that's how much it's after annoying me.

On another note, Buxx Belmar vs Greg Excellent is bizarre and has to be seen to be believed. Not a MOTYC or anything, but it's something you should watch if you get the chance. It's one of a kind.

Yup DJ Hyde can't book for toffee and he keeps running off fans.

rovert wrote: »
    Yup DJ Hyde can't book for toffee and he keeps running off fans.

Which is essentially what Gulak was saying that turned him babyface.

I don't get how anybody thought the hot new babyface needed to lose his first match and have his opponent kick out of damn near every move he has. What makes it even dumber, is they had Gulak go over Styles and Hero not that long ago, now Sozio kicks out of everything he has in an impromptu match?

Ring of Honor has a great looking iPPV this weekend which they are refusing to support:

090614_ASEVI_TORONTO_LOCAL_V2_web.jpg
    Ring of Honor will return to iPPV this Saturday 9/6 from Toronto, Ontario with All Star Extravaganza, featuring:
    *ROH champion Michael Elgin vs. Jay Briscoe

*2 out of 3 falls: ROH Tag Team Champions reDRagon vs. The Young Bucks.

*No Time Limit: ROH TV champion Jay Lethal with Truth Martini vs. ACH

*AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole

*Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian vs. The Decade's Roderick Strong & Jimmy Jacobs

*Cedric Alexander vs. Silas Young

*Mark Briscoe vs. Hanson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How was the ROH show? Any outstanding matches?

Advertisement