Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moneybookers PrePaid MasterCard

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

iamskippy wrote: »
    Do they send a physical card when you reg? €1.80 per withdrawl from atm?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 panw

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    I noticed there is a spending limit of €1,000 per day.

If your balance is €2,300, do they still enforce the limit of €1,000?

What if you wanted to buy/pay for something online that cost €2,000 - is it still possible to use the card?

Unfortunately - they enforce the €1,000 limit no matter what your balance is. That's why I ditched them and got a prepaid mastercard with higher limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i also have signed up for the moneybookers one, looking forward to getting it and testing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

panw wrote: »
    Unfortunately - they enforce the €1,000 limit no matter what your balance is. That's why I ditched them and got a prepaid mastercard with higher limits.

Thanks for the response - it is not going to suit me as I need a card with higher limits .. if you don't mind me asking you, whom did you go for the higher limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

Can your reserve hotel rooms in Ireland with this ??? Anyone tried yet ???

• Advertisement

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Thanks for the response - it is not going to suit me as I need a card with higher limits .. if you don't mind me asking you, whom did you go for the higher limit?

Actually, I ended up getting NETELLER's Net+ cards. I got both versions since they were free to get and directly linked to the account I set up. (Getting a NETELLER account doesn't cost anything either). The chip & pin card's daily limit is 2,250 EUR and the virtual card's daily limit is 5,250 EUR. So my combined daily limit is 7,500 EUR which suits my needs.

Here's the link to their site in case you're interested: http://public.neteller.com/content/global/cards_index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Can you load your Netteller card by Laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Have one of these a week now. Absolutely delighted with it.

It doesn't look like neteller accepts Laser. I logged into my account and it didn't appear as one of the debit card options.

To be honest, I just use their free local bank deposit options. It sometimes takes a couple days to process but it's good if you don't like paying fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bipolka

yeah, but there's a catch: it won't allow over 5 transactions per day within the limit of €1,250 a day (and as a rule you won't be allowed to deposit onto your moneybrooks account more than €1,500 in ANY 60-day period). all of this works to comply with money laundering regulations, i take it.
    wildwest wrote: »
    The card costs 10 Euro a year but they dont tell you this until after you have uploaded your ID so I sent them a email to cancel it I allready have the Neteller card for free so not much point in paying 10 Euro for something I might never use.Their transaction fees seem to be less than Neteller so if you use them a lot you might make up the 10 Euro a year fees.

• Advertisement

Yes, it accepts Laser, provided you have Maestro logo on your Laser.
    panw wrote: »
    It doesn't look like neteller accepts Laser. I logged into my account and it didn't appear as one of the debit card options.

To be honest, I just use their free local bank deposit options. It sometimes takes a couple days to process but it's good if you don't like paying fees.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

bipolka wrote: »
    Yes, it accepts Laser, provided you have Maestro logo on your Laser.

Correct me if i'm wrong buy by using your Laser card as Maestro is it not classed as a debit card on Neteller and you are charged a fee to transfer funds?

AFAIK the only way to transfer funds free on Neteller is via bank trasnfer (that takes 2-3 days).

Moneybookers takes laser and these are free of fees (and the money is transferred instantly).

Actually, you're right: haven't thought of that. Yes, that's why I opted for Moneybookers, which so far suits me. But I wouldn't recommend Moneybookers to anyone abroad reliant on it as their POS card, Neteller probably the best option then. Moneybookers is for people who rarely use their card, maybe for flights or online shopping every now and then.
    Correct me if i'm wrong buy by using your Laser card as Maestro is it not classed as a debit card on Neteller and you are charged a fee to transfer funds?

AFAIK the only way to transfer funds free on Neteller is via bank trasnfer (that takes 2-3 days).

Moneybookers takes laser and these are free of fees (and the money is transferred instantly).

I only use mine to book flights, usually at least one return a month (mostly with Ryanair) so the annual fee with money bookers of a tenner pays for itself in one month.

Card can also be used on uk rail sites and the likes of easy jet/travelodge who also levy a charge for a standard credit card.

Pity Aer Lingus a fee regardless of if you bare using a debit/credit charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bone Idol

Used http://www.moneybookers.com today to buy some Ryanair flights.

No problem. No €10 fee. :)

Priced the flights first. Transferred required amount to moneybookers instantly via Laser.

MOL can put his "administrative charges" where the sun don't shine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bone Idol wrote: »
    Used http://www.moneybookers.com today to buy some Ryanair flights.

No problem. No €10 fee. :)

Priced the flights first. Transferred required amount to moneybookers instantly via Laser.

MOL can put his "administrative charges" where the sun don't shine! :D
    Welcome to the club. Now if only it worked on Aer Finglas...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

I've posted this in another thread, but this one is even more appropirate, so one more time:

A few words about Money Bookers card. I thought it would be the best option, but I was wrong. I paid for Amazon shoppings and for flights all right, but most other places would not accept this card. I tried to pay for Three phone on-line - no luck, I tried a few other on-line shops, no luck either. Even worse - I paid for SendIt DVDs and the money were taken from my account, but SendIt.com claims they didn't get my money! Their Customer Service is useless, so I tried to get Charge Back through Money Bookers. And I'm trying since a month now! First they wanted me to send some proofs of unsuccessful payment, wich I did. Then they asked me to fill and send back Claim Form, wich I did. Then they claimed they didn't get it. I tried to send it another 2 times. Still nothing. The forth try was successful, but then they told me they sent me wrong form and I have to fill another form and send it again. And so on, so on... No money, no goods, no support, no customer service. No luck. After that I tried to use another option from Money Bookers "On-Line Support" - and filled a claim about incompetence of their emploees. And gues what? I got an answer from the same person that I was complaining about (Boriana). So that's it. I'm going to spend the rest of money from my Money Bookers account and close it down together with SendIt (or StealIt) account as well. I'll get one of these Gift Cards instead. Cheers.

Just an update - I've never get back my money, neither from Moneybookers nor from SendIt (they even stopped to reply my emails).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Strange, I have not yet used the card in anger out in the real world but intend to give it a dry run soon, keeping it to small insignificant transactions as a tester.

Hey, even for the Ryanair fees alone it's worth getting IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Sorry to hear some people have had bad experiences with this card.

I've been using mine for about a year now and have yet to be rejected online.

I haven't tried using it in bricks and mortar shops as I'd normally use my laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

I am currently using the payzone mastercard and even with the charges i am overall very happy with it. All payments went quickly and i never had any problems with the card.

I was reading a post the other day and decided to open a moneybookers account. Waiting now for their card. However i have came across several scam items on the internet regarding moneybookers. I am now wondering if i should bother with them at all .:confused:

• Advertisement

ecomac wrote: »
    I've posted this in another thread, but this one is even more appropirate, so one more time:

A few words about Money Bookers card. I thought it would be the best option, but I was wrong. I paid for Amazon shoppings and for flights all right, but most other places would not accept this card. I tried to pay for Three phone on-line - no luck, I tried a few other on-line shops, no luck either. Even worse - I paid for SendIt DVDs and the money were taken from my account, but SendIt.com claims they didn't get my money! Their Customer Service is useless, so I tried to get Charge Back through Money Bookers. And I'm trying since a month now! First they wanted me to send some proofs of unsuccessful payment, wich I did. Then they asked me to fill and send back Claim Form, wich I did. Then they claimed they didn't get it. I tried to send it another 2 times. Still nothing. The forth try was successful, but then they told me they sent me wrong form and I have to fill another form and send it again. And so on, so on... No money, no goods, no support, no customer service. No luck. After that I tried to use another option from Money Bookers "On-Line Support" - and filled a claim about incompetence of their emploees. And gues what? I got an answer from the same person that I was complaining about (Boriana). So that's it. I'm going to spend the rest of money from my Money Bookers account and close it down together with SendIt (or StealIt) account as well. I'll get one of these Gift Cards instead. Cheers.

Just an update - I've never get back my money, neither from Moneybookers nor from SendIt (they even stopped to reply my emails).

Another update. I tried to send one more time copy of the required forms. This time they told me it's too dark. No comments.
    So as I said I was going to close down my account with Moneybookers, but I still had there something over a hundred euros. When I was going to pay for my on-line shoppings, I found my MB card is blocked. I went into my account and I found they want me to send my ID and proof of address to them. AGAIN. I had this account since august 2010 and I've already sent those docs when I was opening this account. Since then I used this card surely more than 10 times and topped it up with my laser good few times as well. And now they want me to send it again with no reason. So my advice is - stay away from moneybookers. They booked my money alright... for themselves

Personally only use MB card for Ryanair and my normal BOI card for everything else, works a treat..save well over €100 a year on the Ryanair credit card charges.

Live the fact you can do transfers by Laser instantly and free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

Hi sheep shagger,

I was thinking of using MB, but have decided against it now after reading several bad reports and scam posts on the internet regarding MB. I do have a visa debit with my tsb card, which i only use if necessary. I am not a fan of using a visa debit card connected directly to your bank account on the internet. A friend has told me that they find Neteller very good, so i will go with that instead of MB for flights. The dundrum gift card is also good for booking flights to avoid cc charge, but its too far for me to travel to dundrum to collect card. I wish you luck with MB account but suggest you read all the threads, just to be aware of the different problems people have had with MB.

regards 995thewolf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I use MB online, in shops and at atm's (not my intention, but was broke!).
    Yet to be refused or see a problem.

Ecomac, I'm sorry to hear you had problems, but imo you are nearly getting obsessed with complaining about MB. You have brought up the same thing in several threads now. I hope you get your issue resolved so you can put the whole thing behind you and forget about it.

Jim

As I say have a MB card for over a year without any problems. as it's a debit card can't really see how they can scam you (if you deal with the secure site), they are also regulated by the FSA in the UK so you can complain to them if you have problems.

Wonder if some of the 'scams' are actually scams?

http://www.moneybookers.com/ads/moneybookers-scam-information/

Jimmy, apparently you didn't have to complaint about anything so far. We'll talk the day when something will go wrong and you will have to deal with MB customer care. And that day will come soon or a later. And about my "obsession" - initially I put my story in another thread, but this one is more appropirate, so I posted it here as well. I wrote three replies in total regarding MB (this one is fourth), so if you consider that as an obssesion, then yes - I'm obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Has anyone had problems uploading money using an AIB laser card?

I only got the ok to join up yesterday from moneybookers and tried to upload the €10 to pay for my card but no joy.

I rang AIB to see if they were blocking the transaction from going though and they told me that my card wouldn't work as it wasn't a .ie site. I told the woman i was talking to that the site took laser but she told me that it must be an English laser card as an Irish one would not work. (didn't even this they used laser over there but anyway)

I then explained to her that i was almost sure that other Irish people were using their Irish Laser cards on the site and she told me they couldn't be as they would not work. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

south wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems uploading money using an AIB laser card?

I only got the ok to join up yesterday from moneybookers and tried to upload the €10 to pay for my card but no joy.

I rang AIB to see if they were blocking the transaction from going though and they told me that my card wouldn't work as it wasn't a .ie site. I told the woman i was talking to that the site took laser but she told me that it must be an English laser card as an Irish one would not work. (didn't even this they used laser over there but anyway)

I then explained to her that i was almost sure that other Irish people were using their Irish Laser cards on the site and she told me they couldn't be as they would not work. Any ideas?

I signed up and paid with my AIB laser card no problem, I have also used the laser card to upload funds and book flights with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

ruddy1987 wrote: »
    I signed up and paid with my AIB laser card no problem, I have also used the laser card to upload funds and book flights with no problems

Me too. Zero problems with AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

That's what I thought. I'd say the women i was talking to didn't have to clue because she kept saying that lasers would only work on .ie sites.
    Moneybookers took €2.18 or something like that from my account to validate it but when i tried to use the laser to pay the €10 for the Mastercard it would not work. you get 3 goes and then it's locked for 24 hours. Tried again today but no joy.
    I'll try contacting AIB tomorrow again and see if I can get to the end of it.
    Thanks for the replies

Advertisement