Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I'm not going for any position this year. Thanks for the ego boost though! :)

Always the campaigner, never the candidate!

Do you think you could be persuaded to run jason?
    Myself and many others have commented that you'd fit in well in a sabbatical team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Not possible I am afraid. Everyone is on the system :-)
    Hi again Ginge Young.

John told me that he opted out of the email agreement the university has when registering as a research student and therefore he has no XXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie or firstname.surname@ul.ie email address. If you make a request to student records they might tell you if John Cambridge is registered or not.

I thought searching for someone in an email database would be a slightly crude way to confirm or deny if they are a registered student/staff member but obviously not.

Regards,

JR, hand of the king

You're?

I have no political aspirations. Cambridge has some fairly ambitious plans, e.g. involved in education at a national level. I am just trying to get my degree done. I have some experience in SU elections and JC asked me to be his manager. Couldn't say no. In future I'd rather keep discussions to JC rather than myself.

Hi John.

What does cambridge think of the competition for the role of president - paddy rockett, aoife kenny, kelly o b, that engineering lad?

who would he like to see as his two companions in buckingham palace?

wilson/kennedy in welfare?

kennedy/canning in education?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hi guys,

Would just like to introduce myself as John Ryan, john cambridge's campaign manager for this term. I would like to apologise for John Cambridge's comments in the other thread, he gets a little carried away at times. If you have any genuine and sincere questions I can answer on his behalf. You can think of me as the King's hand, I can speak with his voice.

Thank you.

Choose Cambridge.

Might make more sense to start a thread for John's campaign, rather than turn a thread about rumours into a campaign thread. Seeing as Mr. Cambridge is definitely running it hardly qualifies as a rumour does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

and banned for re-regging, so can we presume this was b*ll all along

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    and banned for re-regging, so can we presume this was b*ll all along

Has anyone actually thought anything else? :pac:

Being deliberately polite to trolls is hard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

horsemeat wrote: »
    Do you think you could be persuaded to run jason?
    Myself and many others have commented that you'd fit in well in a sabbatical team.

I don't think so. I was going to go for CO, but that's gone now. Cheers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I don't think so. I was going to go for CO, but that's gone now. Cheers though.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

horsemeat wrote: »
    Hi John.

What does cambridge think of the competition for the role of president - paddy rockett, aoife kenny, kelly o b, that engineering lad?

who would he like to see as his two companions in buckingham palace?

wilson/kennedy in welfare?

kennedy/canning in education?

Still wondering who you are.... Not going to answer that no? It's just since you said I have no charm or charisma I've been clutching my knees rocking back and forth on the couch wrapped in a blanket shared with all the current sabbats watching countdown in the gap between judge judy and desperate housewives.
    Sitting at home reflecting introspectively while eating bonbons and giving each other peticures has opened up some serious personal questions spurred by your comments.

Also - want to go for a pint? I need to get out of the house...

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

Still wondering who you are.... Not going to answer that no? It's just since you said I have no charm or charisma I've been clutching my knees rocking back and forth on the couch wrapped in a blanket shared with all the current sabbats watching countdown in the gap between judge judy and desperate housewives.
    Sitting at home reflecting introspectively while eating bonbons and giving each other peticures has opened up some serious personal questions spurred by your comments.

Also - want to go for a pint? I need to get out of the house...

Tony

Your latent attempt at being humorous was anything but. #tryingtoohardTony

Glad to see cambridge was banned. He was telling me all week he wanted to play soccer and then tried to make a fool of me on thread.

I should be unleashing my own campaign in a couple of weeks, stay tuned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Maybe ye should have a boat race instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Who's next? Stanford? Brookes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Who's next? Stanford? Brookes?

LCAD. Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

The treatment of Cambridge and his election crew is surly unjust and shows how low the usual su types will go to scupper his campaign. Fear not Cambridge, the masses will rise and sweep you to victory

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

Your latent attempt at being humorous was anything but. #tryingtoohardTony

Latent? acknowledging that it is funny but you couldn't see that it was funny? Awks.

colon wrote: »
    The treatment of Cambridge and his election crew is surly unjust and shows how low the usual su types will go to scupper his campaign. Fear not Cambridge, the masses will rise and sweep you to victory

And your contibutions have been suitably excreted from your more than appropriate username....

I reckon common sense will prevail.

The common sense which says that those who will vote will unfortunately be a minority while those who will moan will just be a vocal minority focusing on the negatice, refusing to acknowledge the positive and never being helpful.

Thanks for the entertainment......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

And your contibutions have been suitably excreted from your more than appropriate username....

I reckon common sense will prevail.

The common sense which says that those who will vote will unfortunately be a minority while those who will moan will just be a vocal minority focusing on the negatice, refusing to acknowledge the positive and never being helpful.

Thanks for the entertainment......

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Hi Cambridge, welcome back, you expect to be staying long this time?

Got to hand it to Sid/cambridge/cambridge4prez/Oxford_/colon, must be hard for one person to remember so many different login details. :pac:

probably all the same password.... Although maybe he just has them by module codes or something....

Someone should research that. Although of course not Ginge(r) cos he's only good with his hands apparently.

• Advertisement

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    Latent? acknowledging that it is funny but you couldn't see that it was funny? Awks.

Latent yes. Do you want me to define it for you?

Not once did I acknowledge that it was funny, I said it was an attempt at humour, one which wasn't funny.

Your above post gives the impression that you have failed to have grasped this correctly. Maybe when you finish "A Way With Words 3" you might be able to understand these more "challenging" sentences.

From the Oxford Online Dictionary (I used the Oxford instead of any other, since I figured you seem to like it):
    latent /ˈleɪt(ə)nt/, adjective, (of a quality or state) existing but not yet developed or manifest; hidden or concealed:
    they have a huge reserve of latent talent

Having defined it, I think you will now see the humour in what I have written.

"A Way With Words 3" does sound great though, I shall read it once I've finished riding your ma.

It was funny to me while I was writing it - I'm sorry you didn't get it. Well done on the use of the thesaurus though.

None of this is adding anything though - it's just the usual tripe which results from someone with a love of wooden spoons and manure.

I can't actually see from this thread who it is that the rumours are going around about - I've read it all but I'm still not clear. Anyone care to sum up at this point?

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    "A Way With Words 3" does sound great though, I shall read it once I've finished riding your ma.

When somebody cannot back up their point it is not uncommon for them to resort to petty insults. I will leave Mr. Sceptre and Mr. Peteee deal with you.

When somebody cannot back up their point it is not uncommon for them to resort to petty insults.

Pot. Kettle.

Anyone care to sum up at this point?

Off the top of my head.

In terms of rumours:

Sabbats - Kelly, Paddy and Aoife.
    "C&S people" - Myself, yourself and Lily.
    Other people - Murt, Darragh and Jason.

In terms of actual confirmed people who are not pseudonymous accounts posting:

no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

15071638.jpg

So at this stage anyone with an opinion on the election that is contrary to the usual lame wrist'd su view is lumped into the mega-form of Cambridge et al. Contemptible.

<personal insults snipped>

So at this stage anyone with an opinion on the election that is contrary to the usual lame wrist'd su view is lumped into the mega-form of Cambridge et al. Contemptible.

No, just people who structure their posts remarkably similar to his, and who go out of their way to bring snide remarks into everything rather than debate the issues. Had cambridge not insisted on insulting basically every poster here there would not have been a problem.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that people running for a political/administrative role should be made of sterner stuff. Again a damming indictment on the calibre of person that the union attracts.

I would have thought that people running for a political/administrative role should be made of sterner stuff. Again a damming indictment on the calibre of person that the union attracts.

Oh indeed! I 100% agree! This forum should be a place where we come and have no rules and personally abuse everyone running for the sabbat team! Twill help toughen 'em up! I mean who cares if no one actually debates the real issues and just goes round in circles making pointless snide remarks about people's character?

[/sarcasm]

Ooooh the skin is indeed paper thin 'round these parts. Touchy to the point of turning anyone that was interested in this election apathetic towards its canidates or outcome. Unless of course we're talking about the usual clique....

By usual clique I assume you mean the people who engage with the union?

Who better to be a sabbat?

Dare i say mabey someone like your old friend Cambridge. Mabey the union needs an almighty shake. Back to my original point of "not the usual type".

Dare i say mabey someone like your old friend Cambridge. Mabey the union needs an almighty shake. Back to my original point of "not the usual type".

You have actually read cambridge's posts yeah?

• Advertisement

Oh right - so basically someone who knows how to
    use the position as a stepping stone to somewhere else
    apparently wants to work for free
    is excellent at alienating people
    expresses little interest in several courses
    has a dubious views on the value of education
    appears to not understand what the scope and limits of the role actually are.....*

Now we really ARE adding to the debate.

Let cambridge come out from behind his keyboard and go for it sure nobody is denying him the right to do that. Personally I would love to see that, but I doubt there's a single person who regards him as anything more than a troll. He simply won't go for it because he's a made up caricature.

Tony

*all are personal opinions on how cambridge has presented himself.

Ah pitbull face give it a rest will you! No one wants you as president we want cambridge so step slowly away from the keyboard!

Still wondering if you'll give us your name or do we just refer to you as "Lurk" or "dogfood"?

I must say though, it's very flattering that cambridge and his apparent supporters (himself - it must be lonely) insist on ignoring the fact that I have stated clearly that I wouldn't ever consider going for SU president. I can only assume that somewhere inside you feel that I could actually be good at it.

wouldnt like to see you in a sabbatical role at all with that face on you, never mind your holier than thou attitude.

glad to hear you're not running anyway

I just figured out who you are and it explains a lot.....

ohtonyyoure128654657970433265.jpg

P.S. I didn't say I wasn't running - I just said I wasn't running for president.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You have actually read cambridge's posts yeah?

Yes, and after reviewing some of them again I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's his attributes that seem to scare ye most. Someone at the head of the union that has the courage of their convictions, who doesn't suffer fools gladly, that wont accept ineptitude as the norm and cover it up. Someone that has a fresh approach to the post and is willing and able to revitalise it. He or his type might not be the "popular" choice but in times of crisis maybe they are our only option.

Yes, and after reviewing some of them again I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's his attributes that seem to scare ye most. Someone at the head of the union that has the courage of their convictions, who doesn't suffer fools gladly, that wont accept ineptitude as the norm and cover it up. Someone that has a fresh approach to the post and is willing and able to revitalise it. He or his type might not be the "popular" choice but in times of crisis maybe they are our only option.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion. I've got better things to do than go through his old posts to pick out all the ones where he was blatantly trolling and personally abusing the posters of this forum.
    I will concede that when he actually debated the issues, even though his views were at odds with a lot of my own, he presented his views very well. But sadly, (as is the case with most trolls) these posts were far and few in between.
    Though I anxiously await the final list of candidates. I'll be very disappointed if we don't see "John Cambridge" on the ballot.

So which part of my "wrong opinion" would not be an advantage to an incoming president and what are the values that you would think important if not these.

So which part of my "wrong opinion" would not be an advantage to an incoming president and what are the values that you would think important if not these.

You say some who has "the courage of their convictions". That's fine, except cambridge's particular convictions would likely be at odds with the vast majority of the student body who he would be representing. The SU President is not there to further their own agenda or career, they are elected to represent us to the best of their ability.
    I would also consider his confrontational nature to be a very worrying trait for any elected representative. If he were to be elected and carry on in board meetings the way he carried on here, the Union would quickly become non-functioning. He would be stone-walled by University authorities and students alike.
    If confidence in the Union is going to be restored among the student body, then we need a president who doesn't alienate people further. Get someone with cambridge's attitude problems and people will eventually stop engaging with the Union, and it will become even more of a clique than it already is.

That's all I'm saying on this. He's banned. It still remains to see if he's a genuine candidate. If he is, then we should discuss his policies more. Until then it seems nonsensical to fill page after page of posts on what will most likely turn out to be another troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davozc

nice and calm around here with cambridge gone......when is he back? im bored !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I hear Thomas Ryan got on so well with Cian Spillane last week that he thinks the two of them would work well together

**sits back with popcorn**

(yes, I know, I shouldn't be encouraging ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

ninty9er wrote: »
    I hear Thomas Ryan got on so well with Cian Spillane last week that he thinks the two of them would work well together

Yes but ninty9er, you know that Mr Ryan wouldn't be able to run for any other sabbatt position this year as you can only run for one position a year!!

Toushe!!

ninty9er wrote: »

Encouraging your own crew to work well together is what you should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes but ninty9er, you know that Mr Ryan wouldn't be able to run for any other sabbatt position this year as you can only run for one position a year!!

Toushe!!
    You can only hold one position. Elections are a different matter.

Toutouche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

I heard that Hugh O Brien is going to run for president.

I'd vote for him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement