Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi wrote: »
    Playoffs are well after the Lions tour, but Aussies start early to accomodate a pause while Lions in town.

Ah I see. I'm exposing my startling lack of knowledge of SXV rugby here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Was about to ask what the story was with that. One presumes his best players will be in the playoffs anyway though and thus get no extra time...

The Aussie teams play a week before the other teams start, that's this week, and the weekend of June7/8/9 when the other teams will be off. This means that they don't play on the weekend of June 28/29 and July 5/6 when the 2nd and 3rd test for the Lions series will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Rebels have named their team for Friday's game. Interesting to see the positions of Beale and O'Connor. I am still not that convinced of Beale at 10. I think the Rebels should have brought in a proper 10, which would mean they would not have to play other players out of position.

Melbourne Rebels:
    15 James O'Connor, 14 Lachlan Mitchell, 13 Mitch Inman, 12 Rory Sidey, 11 Richard Kingi, 10 Kurtley Beale,9 Nick Phipps,
    8 Gareth Delve (c) 7 Scott Fuglistaller, 6 Scott Higginbotham, 5 Luke Jones, 4 Hugh Pyle, 3 Laurie Weeks, 2 Ged Robinson, 1 Nic Henderson.

Replacements: 16 Shota Horie, 17 Paul Alo-Emile, 18 Cadeyrn Neville, 19 Jarrod Saffy, 20 Nic Stirzaker, 21 Alex Rokobaro, 22 Tom English

This is going to be the Rebel's year, I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The Rebels have named their team for Friday's game. Interesting to see the positions of Beale and O'Connor. I am still not that convinced of Beale at 10. I think the Rebels should have brought in a proper 10, which would mean they would not have to play other players out of position.

Melbourne Rebels:
    15 James O'Connor, 14 Lachlan Mitchell, 13 Mitch Inman, 12 Rory Sidey, 11 Richard Kingi, 10 Kurtley Beale,9 Nick Phipps,
    8 Gareth Delve (c) 7 Scott Fuglistaller, 6 Scott Higginbotham, 5 Luke Jones, 4 Hugh Pyle, 3 Laurie Weeks, 2 Ged Robinson, 1 Nic Henderson.

Replacements: 16 Shota Horie, 17 Paul Alo-Emile, 18 Cadeyrn Neville, 19 Jarrod Saffy, 20 Nic Stirzaker, 21 Alex Rokobaro, 22 Tom English

This is going to be the Rebel's year, I can tell.

I think Beale is probably the best 10 that has been tried by Aussie in recent times - Copper has been sussed out, Barnes is solid but unspectacular. I'm not sure JOC's best position has been determined, I'd probably favour him as a wing at present. Injuries to Beale & O'Connor and that's the Rebels X-factor gone for the season. NB: I'm never sure whether you're a Kiwi living in Knock, or a Kiwi-knocker?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Scott Fuglistaller
    Higginbotham
    Hugh Pyle
    Laurie Weeks
    Jarrod Saffy
    Alex Rokobaro

All wonderful names! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Beale had a few injuries last year and came into a struggling Australian side. I'd like to see him play a whole season at 10 before judging.

Who am I following this season?

Who am I following this season?

Hey Emmet, assuming you're a neutral, then last season I found the 2 sides which played the most attractive rugby were the Cheetahs & the Hurricanes. The Cheetahs, in particular, scored some great tries (see below, for an example), but were let down by an untimely injury to Johan Goosen and at times a porous defence. The Hurricanes, from memory, had the best points for, and were very close to making the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah but in fairness Dagg's shaking his head because the 'saders were totally asleep defensively there. Shambolic.

I'll be keeping tabs on the Crusaders as I always do! Though I think Highlanders have a decent squad this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm usually a Bulls man but this song has me contemplating a change.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but in fairness Dagg's shaking his head because the 'saders were totally asleep defensively there. Shambolic.

I'll be keeping tabs on the Crusaders as I always do! Though I think Highlanders have a decent squad this year.

Crusaders my team too. Highlanders have recruited well, would be nice to see them make the playoffs. In fact I think the NZ conference will be extremely competitive, only the Blues look weak on paper, so I guess a dark horse.

Hagz wrote: »

Probably the only team I could never bring myself to support, they have extremely loutish, boorish supporters (excluding your good self, of course), and last season a pretty limited gameplan, which fell apart when Morne Steyn was only kicking at about 60%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

any players about to breakout?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

0edb4dbb-3bc3-44b4-8cb0-6ab3c81bb5c7.jpg

Haha it could do with a John Barnes style rap in the middle if you ask me.

Probably the only team I could never bring myself to support, they have extremely loutish, boorish supporters (excluding your good self, of course)
    What?! You mean like this fine man
    2f009e8bf54343b1ba3ffb15d6531542.jpg
    They're vomit worthy but I absolutely love saying the players names in a thick Afrikaans accent. Ever since that season where Hougaard played on the wing I've been hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jesus christ I hope they got a few crates out of that

I hope they got a few crates out of that

I think they had already downed a few crates to calm the nerves...

any players about to breakout?

I'm not sure I can answer that Q...

I'm not sure I can answer that Q...

Any young NZ or fringe NZ players you'd expect to have a good season? Need a few cheap lads for my fantasy team ;)

• Advertisement

Any young NZ or fringe NZ players you'd expect to have a good season? Need a few cheap lads for my fantasy team ;)

Ok, since you ask, but I in no way stand over these if they flop (especially as I watched minimal ITM cup), but of course will claim all credit if they go onto greater things.

Crusaders: Dominic Bird, Johnny McNicholl, Robbie Freuan make or break year (esp as Kahui off to Japan), Dan Carter...oh wait...

Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara

Blues: Frances Saili

Chiefs: Andrew Horrell, Bundee Aki, Ben Afeaki

Highlanders: John Hardie, Lima Sopoaga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Ok, since you ask, but I in no way stand over these if they flop (especially as I watched minimal ITM cup), but of course will claim all credit if they go onto greater things.

Crusaders: Dominic Bird, Johnny McNicholl, Robbie Freuan make or break year (esp as Kahui off to Japan), Dan Carter...oh wait...

Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara

Blues: Frances Saili

Chiefs: Andrew Horrell, Bundee Aki, Ben Afeaki

Highlanders: John Hardie, Lima Sopoaga

Andre Taylor was top try scorer in Super XV last year or at least he was for a while. I doubt he'll be that cheap.

Sopoaga looked good until he got injured last year.

Highlanders are my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just back from rebels match - riddled with mistakes, joc was great with the boot, beal didnt nothing at 10 - couldnt control the game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Caught the end of it, handling errors a plenty based on my 10 minute sample :pac:

P_1 wrote: »
    Caught the end of it, handling errors a plenty based on my 10 minute sample :pac:

You mean this...?

B&I Lions watch: JOC not Beale taking the goalkicking for the Rebels (successfully)
    B&I Lions watch: Higginbotham gets yet another YC - is he Australia's answer to James Haskell?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You mean this...?

B&I Lions watch: JOC not Beale taking the goalkicking for the Rebels (successfully)
    B&I Lions watch: Higginbotham gets yet another YC - is he Australia's answer to James Haskell?

Those highlights videos are great, would love to see something similar for the NH leagues.

Between all three countries in Super Rugby, do most/all of the games get televised?

Those highlights videos are great, would love to see something similar for the NH leagues.

Between all three countries in Super Rugby, do most/all of the games get televised?

All games televised...but not free to air :(

I had Pyle, JOC and Mafi on my Fantasy team so I'm happy.

Hugh Pyle was brilliant and O'Connor should get a haircut pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Brilliant quote from the commentary team there...

Nic White is a player that's blessed with a big seat for these kicks ...now some might call this a fat arse but theres a lot of power coming through those hips.

Advertisement