Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It’s such a ridiculous situation. Introducing relegation to their Super Rugby teams is just going to make two weak teams constantly alternating and never improving.

The new Super Rugby format is confusing. If there are 5 teams in each conference, one team gets a bye each round is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

But why the Waratahs, Brian?

BOD flirting with Super Rugby
    http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8168783,00.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Swiwi wrote: »
    But why the Waratahs, Brian?

BOD flirting with Super Rugby
    http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8168783,00.html
    He won't go because of tax reasons

That said if he goes to the waratahs it will be to link up with Cheika.

He won't go because of tax reasons

That said if he goes to the waratahs it will be to link up with Cheika.

What happens to his tax if he plays S15 for year then returns to see out his career with Leinster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What happens to his tax if he plays S15 for year then returns to see out his career with Leinster?
    he would be grand as long as he comes back for a full year he would get the full rebate but to be honest I don't see it happening.

He has talked about how he wants to play Lions this year so the S15 season would be pretty much over by the time he finished. If he goes down to play S15 in 2014 and comes back to Ireland to play for 2014/15

He'd be talking about playing having to play till he is 36 and to be honest I don't see him making that comittment at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sonny-Bill Williams' move to the Sydney Roosters to confirmed; a one-year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Just reading that Quade Cooper has quit the Wallabies to pursue a switch to NRL or go overseas (also talk of following Sunny Bull into the ring :pac:)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/quade-cooper-quits-the-wallabies-report-20121119-29m36.html
    Quade Cooper has reportedly quit Australian rugby after being offered a meagre incentive-based contract.
    According to Channel Nine the former Wallabies five-eighth has turned his back on the Australian Rugby Union and the Wallabies and will look to continue his career overseas or switch to rugby league.
    Cooper has a Super Rugby contract with Queensland but that agreement is contingent upon a contract with the game’s governing body.
    The controversial playmaker has been at odds with the ARU for several months over his comment on the Wallabies set-up, including claims of a ‘toxic’’ environment under coach Robbie Deans.
    Advertisement
    Three weeks ago Cooper was hit with a $40,000 fine and a suspended playing ban in a code-of-conduct hearing into his comments.
    Reports on Monday of Cooper’s decision to leave Australian rugby behind came after he was only offered an incentive-based contract by the ARU, of the kind usually reserved for international rookies.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/quade-cooper-quits-the-wallabies-report-20121119-29m36.html#ixzz2CfDRuMeM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Quade, dont let the door hit you on the way out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I know he really didn't help himself,but sometimes,especially during the World Cup,I think the hate he was getting was a bit too much.Some of the booing he got whenever he touched the ball sounded like what you'd expect at a soccer match.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Some of the booing he got whenever he touched the ball sounded like what you'd expect at a soccer match.

Agreed, Im not his biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, i actually think he acted like a bit of a grub on numerous occasions, but that just ended up getting embarrassing at the WC, sounded like something you would hear at some childrens pantomime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Quade earned every bit of it. Kneeing the captain of the ABs in the head, his moronic tweets encouraging the banter. I did feel sorry for him when he got injured though.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Was surprised with Isreal Folau's debut for the Waratahs.
    Scored 2 and if he was greedy could have had a hat trick.

The Morman Mercenary could be a handy replacement Drew Mitchell on wing for Australia with the Lions tour coming up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/israel-folau-scores-two-tries-in-rugby-union-debut-for-the-nsw-waratahs/story-fn8ouw0e-1226567391094

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I see Cory Jane is out for the season, that's a shame.

I see Cory Jane is out for the season, that's a shame.

Yeah, I'm gutted. Would like the Hurricanes to do well. He is NZ's answer to Gilroy :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In the sense that Carter is your answer to Sexton :D

Juan Smith apparently forced to retire according to PR. In truth, he has been an active player in name only these last 18 months or so. A great player in his prime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's fairly sh*tty about Smith.

The Super XV kicks off this weekend with the Rebels hosting the Force and the Brumbies hosting the Reds.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's fairly sh*tty about Smith.

The Super XV kicks off this weekend with the Rebels hosting the Force and the Brumbies hosting the Reds.

Rebels v Force can probably be safely skipped, but the Reds v Brumbies could be OK. In saying that, I won't get too interested until the NZ franchises get under way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will the Aussie Internationals all be playing this weekend?

The long range weather forecast doesn't look too good for either games with rain and lightening forecast for both games......Yikes!

Will the Aussie Internationals all be playing this weekend?

The long range weather forecast doesn't look too good for either games with rain and lightening forecast for both games......Yikes!

Can't see any reason why not. The Rebels have picked up Higginbotham, they also have Beale & James "Bieber" O'Connor. The Force have the Honey Badger and not much else. Reds & Brumbies have more classy players, the Brumbies 10 Christian Lealiifano is certainly worth watching.

For some reason I thought some of the Internationals were being given extra time off.

Just checked and the Brumbies and Reds teams for their pre season friendlies on the weekend had their Internationals.

For some reason I thought some of the Internationals were being given extra time off.

Just checked and the Brumbies and Reds teams for their pre season friendlies on the weekend had their Internationals.

Aussie franchises starting early to allow Dingo Deans extra time pre-Lions, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was very much hoping Lealifano would be Sextons replacement. Dont think it'll actually happen.

Don't know if he'd be up for Rabo rugby in the short term either.

I was very much hoping Lealifano would be Sextons replacement. Dont think it'll actually happen.

Don't know if he'd be up for Rabo rugby in the short term either.

I'd say he'd want to give the Wallabies a decent lash first. Would almost certainly have made the squad last year but for an ankle fracture. He's actually Kiwi by birth...

31 May/1 Jun Full SuperXV schedule
    1 Jun Lions play BaaBaas in HK :rolleyes:

5 Jun Force v Lions
    7 Jun Brumbies v Rebels
    8 Jun Reds v Lions
    9 Jun Force v Waratahs

22 Jun 1st Test
    No game between 1st and 2nd test
    29 Jun 2nd Test
    28/29 June SuperXV kicks off after International break no Aussie teams have games
    5/6 July Aussie teams back playing SuperXV
    6 July 3rd Test

It's a fairly full on schedule for the SH players as the Saffers will be playing their tournament on the 8th, 15th, and 22nd June with their SuperXV teams playing on the 1st and 29th June too.

Talk about burnout?

31 May/1 Jun Full SuperXV schedule
    1 Jun Lions play BaaBaas in HK :rolleyes:

5 Jun Force v Lions
    7 Jun Brumbies v Rebels
    8 Jun Reds v Lions
    9 Jun Force v Waratahs

22 Jun 1st Test
    No game between 1st and 2nd test
    29 Jun 2nd Test
    28/29 June SuperXV kicks off after International break no Aussie teams have games
    5/6 July Aussie teams back playing SuperXV
    6 July 3rd Test

It's a fairly full on schedule for the SH players as the Saffers will be playing their tournament on the 8th, 15th, and 22nd June with their SuperXV teams playing on the 1st and 29th June too.

Talk about burnout?

And France v NZ as pre-match Lions entertainment, if I recall correctly. Squads with depth should do OK - that rules out the Aussie franchises, especially their lesser lights.

However, if France produce the dross they currently are in the 6N in NZ, it will hardly be entertainment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Aussie franchises starting early to allow Dingo Deans extra time pre-Lions, I think.

Was about to ask what the story was with that. One presumes his best players will be in the playoffs anyway though and thus get no extra time...

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Was about to ask what the story was with that. One presumes his best players will be in the playoffs anyway though and thus get no extra time...

Playoffs are well after the Lions tour, but Aussies start early to accomodate a pause while Lions in town.

Advertisement