Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A mood test, after trecking to the PHN and queing up for an hour, you want to measure my mood? I'll give you a hint.... I was in a better mood at home.
    Just joining this discussion. I have a toddler who is 21 months and a 12 week old baby.

@Going demented, I'll be in kinda the same boat, I have a little girl who's 15 months and I'm due a boy in 2 weeks. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Quick question, my PHN has stopped having the clinic down the road where it used to be. I have the number for the office but there's no answer, I think she's only there for 1 hr per day. Where would I get a number for her? The health board?

I dont have a phone book in the house and everyone int he street with babies are int he same boat. I never got to the nurse for the 12 month check up. I'll have new baby for his 1 week check up before I get baby no.1 done.

Oh and welcome Jenny!!

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep, ring the local health centre and they'll be able to give you the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Mood test? Didn't know there was such a thing! On her first visit, my PHN asked me if I'd had a good cry - that was the mood test!

I suppose, in all seriousness though, it's good that they are keeping an eye out for post-natal depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Here's something that improved my mood. . i got up on monday morning to help my mam out in her salon, she was going to LA on tuesday (my brother is a golden globe nominee).. with all her talk of sun and beaches and whatnot i was talking to my husband on the phone that afternoon and he asked me was it too late to book in with her. . . so i'm here in Los Angeles :eek::eek: :cool: typing from my Brothers appartment missing my babies but having a ball.. my wonderful husband took the week off work and is being mister mammy while i'm at the beach in santa monica and going to a party tomorrow night with his agent to watch the whole thing.. i'm still a bit shocked that i'm here :D:D:D Hollywood is crazy

if anyone is up between 1am and 4am on sunday night he's up for best song.. you can cheer him on.. sinead o connor sang the song..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Cbyrd I'm so jealous, sounds like you're having an absolute ball over there!!! Have a brill time, I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for your brother that he wins :)

Thanks Cap.. i am having a whale of a time.. although its sometimes hard knowing how to fill the hours.. it's 13 years since i've been anywhere on my own :eek: pleasing myself... it's fun sitting down without a small foot in my back/side/tummy/ear. . . or reading the little red hen or chicken licken for the 90th time :D and the otherhalf is delighted that he's gotten the baby to go down at 9.30pm til 8.30am . . and had great delight texting me to tell me.. i told him how proud i was of him :D

January wrote: »
    On number 1 I done 10 tests...
    Number 2, 1 test and
    Number 3... no test...

number one 3 tests
    number 2 one lest
    number 3..bought the double pack of tests used one

On number 4 hahaha i did one test that i had left over from number 3. . did not think i was pregnant but decided to use it for the laugh(i was on so many drugs for my legs in dec and there was only one window for opportunity if you get me). . i'm still laughing :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Still can't believe you're in LA cbyrd, when you posted that status the other day it was crazy! Hope you're having a ball. I'm supposed to be going to a hen's in Edinburgh in April but we have a wedding two weeks before it in Mulingar and I don't think it'd be fair to leave the girls twice in one month...

I say go, you could have years where you go nowhere... but it depends on the kids I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I say go, you could have years where you go nowhere... but it depends on the kids I suppose.

Ditto- we decided on the spur of the moment to nip up to Belfast yesterday- our two couldn't have been better. Now to get passports- I have a slightly more exotic couple of days planned for them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'm the same Red Fragle! I worry like mad when he sleeps loads but I never wake him :) Nathan has that stuffiness too although his is finally starting to break, it's mucus left from being in the womb.. I or Saline Nose Drops and found they help alot! Also there is nothing in them, it's just basically salty water & makes him sneeze loads & you can use them as often as you like! Hope that helps :) I find he's worse at night too.. But the Doc & PHN have assured me that he can breathe fine it just sounds awful :( so long as her lips don't go blue there's nothing to worry about..

Thanks for that tigeress. once u know other ppl are in the same boat u feel a bit better. i went to the chemist and she told me it was the mucus aswell and gave me the saline spray. OH has to give it to her tho! she doesnt seem to mind. but it sounds so bad at times at night and ya would worry so much. gona say it to phn this week aswell.

also is it normal for babies to breath really fast then normal? gona ask phn this also. theres so many little things that u realise u are clueless about!!
    its so mad isnt it!

also is it normal for babies to breath really fast then normal? gona ask phn this also. theres so many little things that u realise u are clueless about!!
    its so mad isnt it!

Depends on what you mean by really fast- its normal for a baby to breath 50-60 times a minute (an adult in comparison would be 12-18 breaths per minute). If a baby is breathing faster than this- it could be a sign of some sort of respiratory distress (or even something as simple as a cold).

If you do the paediatric first aid course- they'll go into all the details of whats normal and whats out of the ordinary.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by really fast- its normal for a baby to breath 50-60 times a minute (an adult in comparison would be 12-18 breaths per minute). If a baby is breathing faster than this- it could be a sign of some sort of respiratory distress (or even something as simple as a cold).

If you do the paediatric first aid course- they'll go into all the details of whats normal and whats out of the ordinary.

oh right. well im just looking at her belly moving up and down fast but she seems content. i would love to do a paediatric first aid course. where might one find info bout these?

oh right. well im just looking at her belly moving up and down fast but she seems content. i would love to do a paediatric first aid course. where might one find info bout these?

Rollercoaster.ie is advertising one at the moment- but they're held all the time. Also the public health nurses organise public courses too- if you tell your PHN that you'd like to attend a course like this- she'll put you on the list (there tends to be a waiting list, as the courses are quite popular).

If you can't get a paediatric course the occupational course is very good too- though obviously its a lot broader in its remit than the paediatric one.

If you can't get on a course for whatever reason- the local Red Cross, St. John's etc hold regular courses and have very interesting bandaging competitions etc :) They're really worth while too.

Regardless of where you do the course, or who you do it with- with young kids any first aid knowledge you have will stand you in good stead. While we like to imagine our little ones will be safe forever- if your kids enjoy climbing up curtains like Shane Jnr, not to mention flinging himself down stairs on his tummy- its highly likely any training at all you have will be called upon sooner or later.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Also about the pediatric first aid, if you're part of a parent and baby group or have friends with kids you can organise a group course yourselves. I think you need 6 people. When I started baby led weaning with my son my husband and I watched pediatric first aid clips especially choking ones on you tube. I had to put it into practice one afternoon which was scary as hell. On the other hand it was reassuring (after the fact) to know we stayed calm and did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

very jealous of you cbyrd..wish my husband was a thoughtful as yours, and good on him getting baba to sleep for him! I'm taking a very exotic day trip to Bristol on Tuesday haha. Looking forward to a good sleep tomorrow night though as my flight is very early Tuesday morning, so have booked into a hotel. Have a ball tonight!

The small boy ha d a tough week - cough, followed by sore throat, followed by head cold. Still sleeping 12hours and trying to be his usual happy self - little trooper. Hope he shakes the cold quickly.

Been trying to introduce solids, but this week has thrown him offand he has no interest :(
    Might leave it a couple of days and start over. he was doing great before he got sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Omg Cybrd you lucky thing!!!! :D How did he get on last night? Your brother not the hubby :D

A first aid course is a great idea! I've been meaning to do one for years. We just put together a first aid kit the other week. Should have done it long before now with a toddler around of course. But the first aid course would be a great benefit, particular for choking.

Never heard of a mood test Avril, I'm surprised I've never been sent for one, though maybe they did one on the sly and I didn't realise :D

Just about the whole PND thing, for all the new mums in here, if you're feeling in any way unlike yourself, if you feel you're worrying too much or you can't switch off or just not feeling right, and it's more than just the tiredness of a newborn, it's so important to say it. There's no weakness in it and it is so fixable there's no need to suffer in silence. I had a touch of it after the second little guy, was too afraid to say anything, till eventually I said it to the PHN and she was so supportive that I wish I'd done it sooner. I think I was even afraid that if I said it to the PHN that she'd think I was a useless mum and take the baby from me :eek::rolleyes: But she didn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Wow Cybrd have an amazing time :) sounds like an awesome trip! Very jealous :p

I ended up in hospital again this morning :( this section recovery seems to be relentless! I just wanna be well again.. They think I might have an infection so antibiotics here I come :( (hate taking medication) back in the clinic on Fri for a check-up aswell. Thankfully I wasn't in too long, went in at 5am and got home at 8am..
    Nathan is 3 weeks old tomorrow!! He's such an amazing baba :) makes it all worth while :)

Just about the whole PND thing, for all the new mums in here, if you're feeling in any way unlike yourself, if you feel you're worrying too much or you can't switch off or just not feeling right, and it's more than just the tiredness of a newborn, it's so important to say it. There's no weakness in it and it is so fixable there's no need to suffer in silence. I had a touch of it after the second little guy, was too afraid to say anything, till eventually I said it to the PHN and she was so supportive that I wish I'd done it sooner. I think I was even afraid that if I said it to the PHN that she'd think I was a useless mum and take the baby from me :eek::rolleyes: But she didn't ;)

im not feeling myself but not sure if its just tiredness and settling in with newborn. she will be 2 weeks old this thurs and shes very good really. im very weepy tho. hormones still all over the place.

last 2/3 days my little one has gagged and vomited after some of her feeds, not sure why. she seems perfectly fine and it doesnt seem to phase her in the slightest. gona talk to phn bout it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

red fraggle do you have a fast letdown and/or an over supply of milk? I had both and ds used to projectile vomit for the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Excellent advice Hannibal. That's exactly how I felt, that if I told the phn I wasn't coping that she would think I was a bad mum, not able to cope with my baby.
    The hormones after pregnancy can be potent though, I felt so desperately low at times and just couldn't rationalise things at all.
    It helped an awful lot speaking to my GP at the time. I did get anti-d's, though only took them a few days as they didn't agree with me at all.
    I found having a good chat with my gp helped a lot as she was able to reassure me and the usual thing of problem shared/problem halved too.

Tigeress, you poor thing sounds like you're having a tough time with recovery :( hopefully the medication will start working asap though & you'll be back to yourself in no time at all :)

Cbyrd hope you're still having a ball in LA! You're husband sounds like a pet, I think mine would have heart failure if I said I was leaving him with 2 babies for a few days :D

Smcarrick that sounds lovely getting away for a break, did you both enjoy Belfast? I love the sound of an exotic holiday myself!

Red fraggle I hope your little one settles on her feeds. The first 2 -4 weeks are really tough with the lack of sleep. Hopefully you'll feel yourself again soon x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JenniG

cybrd hope your brother did well at the awards and you continue to enjoy your time out.

As for mood test, the only concern I had was when in hospital on day three. I was watching an tissue add and there was this cute puppy on it and all the sudden I burst into tears. Mr just laughed at me, so I cried even more. Lol, at least now I can laugh about it.

Now I'm having the sweats, it's cold and miserable outside. Yet here I am sweating it out like a pig. It may make sense if I were the same age as Mr (44) but I'm 28. It's slowly getting better, but I still get these really hot flashes at random times. If this is preparation for what menapause is going to be like, dear god.

And yes there is an age difference, neither of us were expecting to be able to have children, and before we even met he decided upon a bit of change from dentistry and wanted to specially in dental surgery. Mid way we met and he finished a year ago worked here and now with the internship, we are moving :)

With the age difference a number of people have asked me if he's not too old for this, and if we really wanted this. We did, just never thought we would, yet here we are with a little girl... and age is just a number so I never really pay attention to what everyone says anyway.

Sarah still sleeping through the night. From approx 9pm - 5am but refuses sleep all day and finally cries herself asleep from exhaustion. I know it's early days, really early days, but she just hates to sleep. We have tried the car, rocking, classical music (all kinds) static and the vacuum cleaner. I have read some literature that the vacuum cleaner & static sound like the womb & therefore is soothing. Nothing! I have tried bathing her with a bit of lavender essence (as this is also supposed to help) just before trying to put her down. Again nothing! Is this normal? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I check her nappies, and feed her and check her temperature, everything. She doesn't like sleep. I mean 9 months growing and sleeping who can blame her, but it's beginning to worry me a little. Suggestions anyone?

If you sit down with her on your chest, will she fall asleep? My girk started like that and i finally got her sleeping well everywhere else after a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

im not feeling myself but not sure if its just tiredness and settling in with newborn. she will be 2 weeks old this thurs and shes very good really. im very weepy tho. hormones still all over the place.

It could be just tiredness, it's enough to make you all confused...but when the PHN asks how you're feeling, tell her. The first few weeks are like torture!
    Excellent advice Hannibal. That's exactly how I felt, that if I told the phn I wasn't coping that she would think I was a bad mum, not able to cope with my baby.
    The hormones after pregnancy can be potent though, I felt so desperately low at times and just couldn't rationalise things at all.
    It helped an awful lot speaking to my GP at the time. I did get anti-d's, though only took them a few days as they didn't agree with me at all.
    I found having a good chat with my gp helped a lot as she was able to reassure me and the usual thing of problem shared/problem halved too.

That's how I felt, I couldn't rationalise anything at all...everything was waaaay out of proportion and seemed a much bigger problem than it actually was
    JenniG wrote: »
    With the age difference a number of people have asked me if he's not too old for this, and if we really wanted this. We did, just never thought we would, yet here we are with a little girl... and age is just a number so I never really pay attention to what everyone says anyway.

Eek, he's only 44! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

right, do children have an in-built 'mammy is about to have food' sensor? our little dude could be asleep for hours, not stirring for anything, but the second i even glance at the fridge, he starts wailing for attention...:rolleyes: think i may starve to death one of these days if it werent for 'smash n grab' food such as drink joghurts and raw bagels....

also glad someone bumped the breastfeeding support thread - so good to read we're not alone when it comes to hourly feedings and nipple shields etc (since some of my 'real world' friends are of the peachy 'my pregnancy, birth, and raising kids were/are the most wonderful , easy, fulfilling, soft-focus things ever' brigade - not wanting/daring to admit that they had rough patches as well, and almost making me feel guilty for admitting that after 2 days of breastfeeding every hour and stuck in a house in the sticks with no mode of transport, i am 'slightly' knackered and not particularly overjoyed with my lot...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

galah wrote: »
    right, do children have an in-built 'mammy is about to have food' sensor? our little dude could be asleep for hours, not stirring for anything, but the second i even glance at the fridge, he starts wailing for attention...:rolleyes: think i may starve to death one of these days if it werent for 'smash n grab' food such as drink joghurts and raw bagels....

also glad someone bumped the breastfeeding support thread - so good to read we're not alone when it comes to hourly feedings and nipple shields etc (since some of my 'real world' friends are of the peachy 'my pregnancy, birth, and raising kids were/are the most wonderful , easy, fulfilling, soft-focus things ever' brigade - not wanting/daring to admit that they had rough patches as well, and almost making me feel guilty for admitting that after 2 days of breastfeeding every hour and stuck in a house in the sticks with no mode of transport, i am 'slightly' knackered and not particularly overjoyed with my lot...:rolleyes:

I feel the same. I read it from the beginning the other night and - sad to say - it makes me feel so much better that other people were as miserable as I was. (I'll post more in the bfeeding thread).

And JennieG, there's the same age diff between me and himself as there is for you (me 26 and him 42) and we're not worried! :D

Rebecca has hardly slept in the last 24 hours. She is fighting it and fighting it. I took her for a walk to settle her and you could see her eyes fighting to stay open. And she woke as soon as I got home. Put her down to sleep 45 mins ago and I can already hear her stirring. This from a little girl who would sleep for four hours, feed for 20 and then sleep for another 3. Still, it's all just a phase... repeat until I feel better... :D

Originally Posted by galah
    right, do children have an in-built 'mammy is about to have food' sensor? our little dude could be asleep for hours, not stirring for anything, but the second i even glance at the fridge, he starts wailing for attention... think i may starve to death one of these days if it werent for 'smash n grab' food such as drink joghurts and raw bagels....

I have this problem but not with the baby!! This was the only flaw in my other half when the last baby was born. As soon as I got the baby sorted and made some food for me, he would decide, mmm, I'd like some food too.

Then the baby would wake, I'd be left ,looking at the heat escaping from my food while I fed her and other half would be sitting there munching away. I had to say it to him at one point, he never knew he was doing it. But even now he still does it the odd time, the only difference is, baby can feed herself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

wmpdd3 - ah geez, that sounds so unfair! I probably would have walloped himself for those kinda shenanigans...It is uncanny though - as soon as I am starting to make food, or when it's JUST ready, Mr. wakes up and wants either his own feed or entertainment. Getting better at one-handed eating as well - and stopped feeling guilty about breadcrumbs or bits of lettuce in baby's hair...:o

• Advertisement

I had the getting dinner ready while feeding the baby down to a T . . i could breastfeed and chop a carrot with some strategic balancing of the baby on the press with a damp towel under the chopping board and 2 fingers holding the carrot.. this time though i have an almost 13 year old that can cook dinner for me :D or chop the veg . . it is actually amazing what you learn to do one handed. Although i did discover that if i put him down and he started roaring.. if i put the hairdryer on he'd stop.. just the dryer.. not anything else. :rolleyes: . kids . . who'd have 'em
    Last day in LA . . then travelling all day tomorrow and home thurs morning.. i'm wondering if i'll remember how to do it :D mammy that is . . or mom as my nephew says . .

Advertisement