Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can understand that people would feel like that but if you actually look at the results of the likes of Dunshaughlin 10k of Kclub 10k you will see that there are still loads of runners between 1hr and 90 minutes.
    There is no reason to be intimidated by club races. They are much better value for all levels of runner and most importantly (in my opinion) any profitswill be going to a good cause....

I don't for one second think that club run races are not welcoming. It's a personal thing and I think a lot of new runners also feel uncomfortable in that setting. I did 2 club races late last year, but only because I had ben running a while at that stage and I knew I wouldn't come in the last handful. I really enjoyed them and probably even a bit more than the larger races and hope to do plenty more this year. I wouldn't have done them any sooner in my running career though as I just didn't want to come last. Anyone doing their first race after coming off say a C25k programme is just gonna feel more at home in a large crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I ran the race last year and it was my first event. I didn't find the stewarding/marshalling to be bad at all. I have signed up to run it again this year.

You make what you want out of it.

If you are a seasoned runner and run multiple events you can probably see all the holes/issues with this run but for first timers or people who dont run loads of races this is fine. You also get to run down some roads in the city that you would never dream of on a normal day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

e
    tunguska wrote: »
    How many club races have you actually run?
    You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions about people who are members of clubs. Myself and the others who've posted negatively about this race are speaking from direct experience. I've run commercial races like the samsung run and I've run club races. Can you say the same thing? Because the difference between the two experiences is massive, its the difference between donkeys and race horses. When I first started racing I, like a lot of people did commercial races. They were ok but always strangely vacant affairs, there was no sense of community or comradery. But then I did a club race and it was an eye opener. I realised I'd been getting ripped off at the commercial races, not just financially but more so the atmosphere was 1000 times better, before during and especially after the race. It was a nicer, more welcoming experience. And this was before I was even a member of a club. I did the 10mile in craughwell and it was magic. We were fed and treated so well afterwards by the locals it was such a contrast to what you get from a commercial race, at half the price.
    This is my direct experience of the two types of races. I have no agenda other than to inform people because of lot of folks literally dont know that theyre being ripped off. They've experinced one kind of race and thats it. That there is an alternative to commercial races and its a far better option, for everybody. Not just for club runners because people seem to be making the assumption that club races are only for club runners. Theyre not theyre for everybody. Theres no elitism, theres no looking down noses at slower runners, theres no "Us" and "Them" its all the one.

If you like the samsung race and have no problem forking out 31 bills, thats great, go and enjoy the night. But at the very least make an informed decision based on driect experience, not what you think or imagine but what you've actually experienced.

You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions yourself about me.
    And actually I was a member of a club back as a junior when you were probably in nappies. I have run both types of races.
    I randomly select races that suit me and are near me to be honest.
    I'm very aware that club races are for everyone and the more they get the better.

I don't for one minute think that you are genuine about elitism. I seen you responding last year to some woman who was giving out cause she never received a t-shirt for one of the race series runs cause she was too slow.

As I said before, I believe that Samsung race direction problems will be ironed out. Just from reading on Boards I see this is not uncommon. Meno told us about his own experience a few weeks back. Then another guy was saying he won a race cause of something similar a while back.
    If I was a serious and talented runner and was entering a race, particularly a new race and thought I had any hope of under 35 even 40 mins, I would make myself very aware of the course and question marshals if it was going off track.

My second point as before is that the t-shirt is lovely, its like the Marathon one and I know I would get great use out of it.

The third is I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting a cup of tea and catching up with the gissip. I have been to races before where they put on the spread and as nice as it is, if you're not there with people you know then theres not much point.

Town is handy, I wouldn't be traipsing around the country to get to a race since I'm not competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

rasher_m wrote: »

You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions yourself about me.
    And actually I was a member of a club back as a junior when you were probably in nappies. I have run both types of races.
    I randomly select races that suit me and are near me to be honest.
    I'm very aware that club races are for everyone and the more they get the better.

Again you've jumped to a conclusion, this time about my age. Get the facts before you make assumptions about people. Plus saying something like "I was doing this when you were in nappies" is condescending and a passive aggressive way of insulting somebody. You wanna have a debate with me about the difference between club races and commercial races thats grand, but be mature and honest about it and give the veiled insults a rest.

I don't for one minute think that you are genuine about elitism. I seen you responding last year to some woman who was giving out cause she never received a t-shirt for one of the race series runs cause she was too slow.

Show me this post. And again you've jumped to a conclusion about me. You dont know me or anything about my attitude in regards to elitism. And how does my view on elitism have any bearing on club races and other people at club races? I said that people at club races were open and accepting of everybody at all levels, so how would my view change their views? You're making assumptions about people again.

If I was a serious and talented runner and was entering a race, particularly a new race and thought I had any hope of under 35 even 40 mins, I would make myself very aware of the course and question marshals if it was going off track.

I have no idea what youre getting at with this. Whats your point, Are you saying that it was our fault that we were sent the wrong way?

My second point as before is that the t-shirt is lovely, its like the Marathon one and I know I would get great use out of it.

At what point did I question the quality of the T-shirt? If you like it then thats great.

The third is I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting a cup of tea and catching up with the gissip. I have been to races before where they put on the spread and as nice as it is, if you're not there with people you know then theres not much point.

See what you did there? You're trying to trivialise the points I was making about how great club races and the atmosphere afterwards. As if it was all down to "cup of tea" and most dismissively of all "Gossip"
    You said you did club races as a junior, do one as an adult then come back to me and tell me its all about a cup of tea and gossip.

Town is handy, I wouldn't be traipsing around the country to get to a race since I'm not competitive.

Who said every club race is down the country? Raheny 5miler, rathfarnham 5k, tallaght ac 5k, sportworld 5 miler.

Jaysus lads take your personal squabble to pm and leave us discuss the samsung night run here.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

sgarvan wrote: »
    Jaysus lads take your personal squabble to pm and leave us discuss the samsung night run here.

Ah its just a difference of opinion by 2 strong minded characters.
    Personally I enjoyed the Samsung race last year and am doing it again this year.
    But the race doesn't really compare to the likes of ballycotton and other big club/bhaa races.
    The Samsung race is what it is, some will like it and some won't, the same goes for every race all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

You don't get a swanky medal at club runs.............................ah now I'm stirring the pot now!

I've been fortunate enough to experience both at this stage and to be honest I agree and disagree with you both. Cup of tea, a biscuit and possibly a bowl of soup is deadly after a cold long run - no doubt. But so to is talking to somebody in a pub who also ran the same race as you that you didn't know as has happened many times with the Samsung run.

What it all boils down to is personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well atleast we#re not getting side tracked.

Since we have seen so many last minute entries this week to the Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 10k, we have decided to extend registrations until 10am on Wednesday April 24th! So, if you plan to run, please make sure to register soon to secure your place!

www.samsungnightrun.com

From Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Since we have seen so many last minute entries this week to the Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 10k, we have decided to extend registrations until 10am on Wednesday April 24th! So, if you plan to run, please make sure to register soon to secure your place!

www.samsungnightrun.com

From Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page

Which translated means we haven't sold out like last year so will do everything we can to facilitate runners signing up late and make us more dosh

My exact thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ah will ya stop, I was only winding himself and the others up. I have absolutely no bad feeling towards Tungusta or any other club runner.

I still like the t-shirt and nice shiny medals you get from commercial races though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Extended deadline. Fairly standard practice no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

gigtown wrote: »
    Extended deadline. Fairly standard practice no?

only if it hasn't sold out or reached the minimum number of entrants that they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Who knows.

Interestingly FIT Magazine are tweeting the **** out of their expensive race too.

https://twitter.com/Fit_Mag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

depsite all my b*tching and moaning I have signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Does anyone know how best to hold a flask whilst running? Must have that cup of tea at the finish line:D Glad that's put to bed.

Didn't do this last year, but looking forward to giving it a lash. Would this be a pb type of a course? Never ran a race with so many turns, just wondering what others thought of it?

Also I wont be around town the day before, can someone else register for me?

Also I wont be around town the day before, can someone else register for me?

Well it's completely flat so that's good (hoping for a pb myself) and AFAIK there's no issue with someone else picking up for you.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Who knows.

Interestingly FIT Magazine are tweeting the **** out of their expensive race too.

https://twitter.com/Fit_Mag

Have heard that numbers are extremely low for the FIT mag run. Expect discount offers and free prize giveaways of entries very soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Have heard that numbers are extremely low for the FIT mag run. Expect discount offers and free prize giveaways of entries very soon!

I couldn't believe the price of it when I saw it. I, naively, thought it must be the price for a series of races in the city, not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Well I have finally bitten the bullet and entered this. Looks like it has PB potential and I could do with a bit of motivation right now.
    I only hope the rain stays away this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I'm thinking of doing this but am being restricted by the registration process :confused:. I'd be coming up to Dublin from Limerick and only planning on traveling on Sun afternoon but the website says 'Race Registration will be held in Trinity College Sports Centre on the following dates - Friday 26th April - 11.00 to 20.00, Saturday 27th April - 11.00 to 18.00 and Sunday 28th - 11.00 to 16.00'.

Does this mean I have to be in Trinity before 4pm Sunday to get my number and then hang around until 9 for the race or is there any other way to collect numbers closer to the start time?

As an alternative is it possible to have someone else collect my number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

RedB wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this but am being restricted by the registration process :confused:. I'd be coming up to Dublin from Limerick and only planning on traveling on Sun afternoon but the website says 'Race Registration will be held in Trinity College Sports Centre on the following dates - Friday 26th April - 11.00 to 20.00, Saturday 27th April - 11.00 to 18.00 and Sunday 28th - 11.00 to 16.00'.

Does this mean I have to be in Trinity before 4pm Sunday to get my number and then hang around until 9 for the race or is there any other way to collect numbers closer to the start time?

You can register online and get someone else to collect your number. I saw a message from them somewhere (Facebook, I think) where they said they had a queue system in place for people collecting multiple numbers so they only would have to queue once.

RedB wrote: »

If you don't have anyone to collect it for you, I don't mind doing it. I will be in to collect mine, most likely on Friday after work, if you want me to pick it up for you.

This race is getting a lot of bad rep in here, I didn't do it last year, so I don't know what it's like, though I do think their Facebook page is great. they respond very quickly to every question that has been asked of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

cloneslad wrote: »
    If you don't have anyone to collect it for you, I don't mind doing it. I will be in to collect mine, most likely on Friday after work, if you want me to pick it up for you.

Thanks for the offer. Have to review it again with MrsB as we pulled the plug on our babysitter yesterday. Might work out yet though so will let you know if its on. Appreciate the offer.

Fair play lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Hi Folks,

Quick question. I have never ran a 10K and entered this event about three weeks ago with great aspirations to get fit and train most days. However I have been away on work and other things going on so only got out to train about five times. I can do 4.5k in about 35 mins, as I am walking bits as well.

Is there any point in trying this event? I hope to get out every evening up to the race, but I know I am going to have to walk parts of the event. I guess what I am asking is do many enter this event as a first 10K, and will many be like me and running some and walking some?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Folks,

Quick question. I have never ran a 10K and entered this event about three weeks ago with great aspirations to get fit and train most days. However I have been away on work and other things going on so only got out to train about five times. I can do 4.5k in about 35 mins, as I am walking bits as well.

Is there any point in trying this event? I hope to get out every evening up to the race, but I know I am going to have to walk parts of the event. I guess what I am asking is do many enter this event as a first 10K, and will many be like me and running some and walking some?

Thanks

Dave

Walk, run, crawl... You're still going to do it in a faster time than everyone else that sits on their sofa. Just start towards the back, take it easy and see how you do. It's a flat course, I run down that area every now and then.

Also, don't over do it this week, give yourself a few evenings off, you'll be surprised how many extra kilometres you can do when there are people cheering you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noodles55

I completed the race last year and really enjoyed it, I wouldn't be the fastest runner but there seemed to be loads of runners finishing well behind me. So im assuming that might have been for some of them there 1st 10k. Its a really flat course so is a great one for anyone starting out although the price is a bit steep but I do love the tshirt and have worn it loads of times and cant wait to get my hands on another one

• Advertisement

Lot to be said for adrenaline that comes from a crowd. Think there's a 1hr 20 cut off for Samsung. Would hate to have a garda telling me to move onto the footpath!

gigtown wrote: »
    Lot to be said for adrenaline that comes from a crowd. Think there's a 1hr 20 cut off for Samsung. Would hate to have a garda telling me to move onto the footpath!

You're right, I just read that. that seems a bit harsh on some of the slower runners/ walkers. Considerint the fee you'd assume they'd pay to close off the roads for at least an hour and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cloneslad wrote: »
    You're right, I just read that. that seems a bit harsh on some of the slower runners/ walkers. Considerint the fee you'd assume they'd pay to close off the roads for at least an hour and a half.

Hopefully going for this one my self, with even some hopes of a PB (sub 50), looking it the 80 minute cut of time though it does seem that they are trying to dis-encourage the walkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hopefully going for this one my self, with even some hopes of a PB (sub 50), looking it the 80 minute cut of time though it does seem that they are trying to dis-encourage the walkers.

That's why it's called the 'Samsung Run'!

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's why it's called the 'Samsung Run'!

Plenty of events have 'run' in the title, but still make allowances for walkers to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plenty of events have 'run' in the title, but still make allowances for walkers to enter.

I think they have time restrictions on road closures and also time of night is a consideration.
    I think its better it's just for runners to be honest especially as an athletic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tEtR1s

Not long to go now.. I'm really looking forward to this run! I love the atmosphere at these big events.. My only concern was the weather, and the forecast couldn't be more suitable... Brrr-ing it on ! ! !

No wind, that's all I ask for. The wind can kill any chance of a decent when running along there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I wonder where is best to Park for this event?

Anyone get their email yet today from the organisers?

• Advertisement

Anyone get their email yet today from the organisers?

Nope, tomorrow isnt it

Change to the route aswell as per the competitors booklet on samsungnightrun.com

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I wonder where is best to Park for this event?

They have some kind of special offer going on with ParkRite. I don't have the details to hand but will try and find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

vitani wrote: »
    They have some kind of special offer going on with ParkRite. I don't have the details to hand but will try and find them.

Just Saw that thanks.

I'm just trying to find somewhere that won't be congested after the race and is near the finish. Maybe on street on Sherrif street but longish walk to start.

I see on Facebook that they're allowing registration at the Trinity Sports Centre during the number collection times.

I think they really must have overestimated that 10,000 entrants figure...

that last two miles of the new route looks like a mess.

vitani wrote: »
    I see on Facebook that they're allowing registration at the Trinity Sports Centre during the number collection times.

I think they really must have overestimated that 10,000 entrants figure...

Similar overestimation happening with the Rock and Roll marathon from what I have heard. Have even heard that the Irish Independent Run 10k thingy has less than a tenth of the numbers they expected to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Similar overestimation happening with the Rock and Roll marathon from what I have heard. Have even heard that the Irish Independent Run 10k thingy has less than a tenth of the numbers they expected to register.[/QUOTE]

They are giving out discount codes so you can enter for €25.
    If you they had just priced it at that in the first place they might have gotten more entries.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

How quick is the registration process going down there this morning, or is it a quick in and out? Thinking of going down on my lunch break but not sure I've the time.

• Advertisement

I was in and out in 2 mins earlier.

Advertisement